(Speculation/Mock) Russell Wilson to Raiders in blockbuster mock draft trade

toffee

Reaction score

Lagartixa

Reaction score
"Silly season."

I would truly love if Wilson, after having completely wrecked what had previously been a Broncos team on the rise, were able to go and work the same evil magic on the Raiders too. I was 13 in early 1983, when the Colts drafted The Teeth and The Teeth made a spectacle of the whole thing and forced a trade to the Broncos. I turned 14 before the start of the magical 1983 season, in which the Seahawks beat the Raiders twice in the regular season, then faced those same Raiders in the AFC Championship Game in January of '84 and... f**kin' Raiders. Fourteen-year-old me would be so, so satisfied if he were to find out that 30 years later, a QB would be successful for the Seahawks and even win a Super Bowl title with them, then another decade later, get traded away, bringing in three roster-worthy players and a $#!+load of draft capital, and then proceed to cause multi-year setbacks in the success cycles of both the Broncos and Raiders. I'm smiling just thinking about it as I write this. The fourteen-year-old me that lives on as part of who I am today is gleeful just imagining it.

Even so, it seems unlikely the Raiders would want to give up a second-round pick for another QB.

The Raiders already have three QBs on their roster, the oldest and most expensive of which is Minshew, at age 27 and counting $8M against the cap this year. Even if Minshew were a post-June-1 cut, he would take up even more cap space off the roster than he would on the roster (negative cap savings), so he's staying.

Aidan O'Connell's cap number is about the same as Wilson's. The Raiders could save $915,000 of O'Connell's $1.042M cap hit by cutting O'Connell after June 1. But he's on a rookie contract and under team control for this season plus two more with cap numbers of $1.042M, $1.157M, and $1.272M, and he's likely to retain at least the same level of performance as he had last season, while Wilson is likely to decline. I'd keep O'Connell as a cheap backup with starting experience, and with three years under team control at low prices, over trading pick #44 in the upcoming draft for a one-year rental of the remains of Wilson.

Anthony Brown's street-free-agent contract is for one year and $915,000, none of which is guaranteed. So he's unlikely even to be on the Raiders' 53 when the season starts.

The Raiders might be able to draft a potential starter, but if they don't, they already have a decent "plan B" in place: Minshew and O'Connell, with Brown on the practice squad. Why give up a second-round pick for a "plan B" with no likely advantage over the current if-they-don't-draft-a-potential-starter scenario?

On the other hand, the Raiders have done lots of stupid $#!+ (and I love that about them), so who knows...

BASF

Reaction score
"Silly season."

I would truly love if Wilson, after having completely wrecked what had previously been a Broncos team on the rise, were able to go and work the same evil magic on the Raiders too. I was 13 in early 1983, when the Colts drafted The Teeth and The Teeth made a spectacle of the whole thing and forced a trade to the Broncos. I turned 14 before the start of the magical 1983 season, in which the Seahawks beat the Raiders twice in the regular season, then faced those same Raiders in the AFC Championship Game in January of '84 and... f**kin' Raiders. Fourteen-year-old me would be so, so satisfied if he were to find out that 30 years later, a QB would be successful for the Seahawks and even win a Super Bowl title with them, then another decade later, get traded away, bringing in three roster-worthy players and a $#!+load of draft capital, and then proceed to cause multi-year setbacks in the success cycles of both the Broncos and Raiders. I'm smiling just thinking about it as I write this. The fourteen-year-old me that lives on as part of who I am today is gleeful just imagining it.

Even so, it seems unlikely the Raiders would want to give up a second-round pick for another QB.

The Raiders already have three QBs on their roster, the oldest and most expensive of which is Minshew, at age 27 and counting $8M against the cap this year. Even if Minshew were a post-June-1 cut, he would take up even more cap space off the roster than he would on the roster (negative cap savings), so he's staying.

Aidan O'Connell's cap number is about the same as Wilson's. The Raiders could save $915,000 of O'Connell's $1.042M cap hit by cutting O'Connell after June 1. But he's on a rookie contract and under team control for this season plus two more with cap numbers of $1.042M, $1.157M, and $1.272M, and he's likely to retain at least the same level of performance as he had last season, while Wilson is likely to decline. I'd keep O'Connell as a cheap backup with starting experience, and with three years under team control at low prices, over trading pick #44 in the upcoming draft for a one-year rental of the remains of Wilson.

Anthony Brown's street-free-agent contract is for one year and $915,000, none of which is guaranteed. So he's unlikely even to be on the Raiders' 53 when the season starts.

The Raiders might be able to draft a potential starter, but if they don't, they already have a decent "plan B" in place: Minshew and O'Connell, with Brown on the practice squad. Why give up a second-round pick for a "plan B" with no likely advantage over the current if-they-don't-draft-a-potential-starter scenario?

On the other hand, the Raiders have done lots of stupid $#!+ (and I love that about them), so who knows...
Besides, ask any WSU grad, Minshew is light years better than Wilson, and has just been biding his time in the NFL until he explodes.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Not a world beater, but Minshew and the Colts would have made the playoffs if he had started the whole season. But turn around from the year before. Again, he’s an above average JAG, but brings QB swag that players seem to follow.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Not a world beater, but Minshew and the Colts would have made the playoffs if he had started the whole season. But turn around from the year before. Again, he’s an above average JAG, but brings QB swag that players seem to follow.
But does Minshaw have a celebrity wife, a mansion for filming training videos, and a private jet for returning to Rancho Santa Fe at a moment's notice? Russell Wilson's jet can take Mark Davis to Palm Springs for his weekly haircut, Minshaw couldn't possibly do that, could he?

Maulbert

Reaction score
My brother has been calling Minshew the next Ryan Fitzpatrick for a couple years. Above average backup-low end starter.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Re Wilson wrecking the Raiders - there's not a lot there to wreck imo. If Russ's post Hawks career continues on joining teams the Hawks played in Super bowls, after the Steelers, next stop is the Patriots

nwHawk

Reaction score
But does Minshaw have a celebrity wife, a mansion for filming training videos, and a private jet for returning to Rancho Santa Fe at a moment's notice? Russell Wilson's jet can take Mark Davis to Palm Springs for his weekly haircut, Minshaw couldn't possibly do that, could he?

No, but Gardner might just end up with more wins at the end of a season that current day Mr. Unlimited. Wins matter.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Mustachioed Minshew and the Jaguars.

Attachments

• download (4).jpeg
    download (4).jpeg
    9.1 KB · Views: 1

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
this makes no sense, why would the raiders now trade for Wilson when they could have signed him off the street a few weeks ago and keep their picks? what idiot wrote this?

Latest posts