NFL.com: Schneider 9th in GM Power Rankings

Rat

Reaction score

9) John Schneider, Seattle Seahawks​

It's great to see Schneider smiling again, even if I'm dubious about the Seahawks speed dating the draft's top prospects. Seattle's 2022 draft class could help keep Schneider smiling and employed another five years. He helped lock in two starting tackles, a top-shelf cornerback, a starting running back and two other contributors. The Seahawks' latest big-name forays into free agency (Bobby Wagner, Dre’Mont Jones) have made sense, even if the defensive line is still an issue.
Most importantly, Schneider and Pete Carroll executed one of the trades of the decade by unloading Russell Wilson for a massive haul at the perfect time, moving on from a franchise icon without having to rebuild. I'm not going to give the front office too much credit for Geno Smith's rise, seeing how he sat unsigned in free agency for more than a month last year, but the extension this year was a win-win for both sides. We'll have to see if the Seahawks ultimately replace Wilson with the Broncos' pick (No. 5 overall) they got in exchange for him, but it's been a great 12 months for Schneider regardless.

Pretty ridiculous. 7th should be his absolute floor, as having him behind Holmes and Gutekunst is lunacy. I can't believe how overrated the Lions have become in such a short period of time. I live in Michigan, and people talk about their 9-8 last season like they're the reigning Super Bowl champs.

Last edited:

hawkfan68

Reaction score

Pretty ridiculous. 7th should be his absolute floor, as having him behind Holmes and Gutekunst. I can't believe how overrated the Lions have become in such a short period of time. I live in Michigan, and people talk about their 9-8 last season like they're the reigning Super Bowl champs.
I'm not sure why Pete Carroll wasn't added with John Schneider. Considering they added McVay with Snead for Rams, and Shanahan with Lynch for 49ers. I would say PC has equal say in personnel decisions as those guys do with their respective teams.

For the Lions, 9-8 is a superbowl type of season. Their fans don't know much better.

James in PA

Reaction score
Roseman at 1 is too high. They were ready to run him out of town before last season. He also wanted to trade for Russell Wilson last year, but Mr. I'm Limited didn't want to play there, so they were forced to stick with Hurts. Dodged a major bullet there.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Roseman at 1 is too high. They were ready to run him out of town before last season. He also wanted to trade for Russell Wilson last year, but Mr. I'm Limited didn't want to play there, so they were forced to stick with Hurts. Dodged a major bullet there.
He's the flavor of the month at this time for mediots. How do you have Les Snead/Sean McVay at #6? That team was so horrid that McVay considered retiring.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I'm not sure why Pete Carroll wasn't added with John Schneider. Considering they added McVay with Snead for Rams, and Shanahan with Lynch for 49ers. I would say PC has equal say in personnel decisions as those guys do with their respective teams.

For the Lions, 9-8 is a superbowl type of season. Their fans don't know much better.
I listen to the ATN podcast all the time. When they talked about the list Rosenthal admitted in retrospect he should have made it a dual effort like he did with Buffalo etc.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The fact that JS has never won executive of the year is a complete head scratcher.
He should have won in 2012. The only reason the Colts GM won it that year is because they drafted #1 and got Andrew Luck. Which was a sham...because they were so terrible they got the #1 pick in the first place.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
They're wrong, and I don't care, I grew up a Seattle sports fan, you aint a Seattle player or fan and not used to disrespect and ignorance. JS is top 3. I have never been more happy, blissful, as a Seattle Seahawks fan. Credit to Carroll and the fact that he's able to acquiesce in some areas.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Snivel Much?
It's worth a little snivel, something was off there and it was more PC's fault than JS's, I feel like they've turned a corner though, and I honestly feel like the next 3 or so years might be magical, they may have perfected the relationship, post the old qb.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
The fact that JS has never won executive of the year is a complete head scratcher.
Maybe Pete's position and his power level take away some of the consideration.
Just a thought.

They should give him an Executive of the Decade award.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Why? I’m curious what people have seen from him that make them such fans of his?
Maybe we could start with the last year. He traded a league wide perceived franchise QB for 3 players, two #1 picks and 2 #2 picks, while most pundits and fans figured the Seahawks would be no more than a 5 win team. FYI, they made the playoffs in a supposedly rebuilding year. JS works the draft like a seasoned chef. Some might not like the final dish but damn, the man is easily year in and year out a top 5 GM. Definitely #1 following the 2012 and 2023 off seasons.
Why?! Why not!

bileever

Reaction score
Why? I’m curious what people have seen from him that make them such fans of his?
Go back to the very beginning. Pete and John inherited a terrible 5-11 Seahawks team that had a roster that was weak, to say the least. Over the course of a year and a half, Schneider completely revamped the roster, getting rid of 72 of the 88 players from the previous team. That first year, he trades for Leon Washington and Chris Clemons, among others. He trades marginal starters for draft picks. He picks Russell Okung, Earl Thomas, Golden Tate, Walter Thurmond and Kam Chancellor in his first draft!!! Then, during the bye week, he trades for Marshawn Lynch--for a 4th and a 5th round pick! The Seahawks make the playoff in the first year, albeit with a 7-9 record, beating the Saints in the Beastquake game.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Then, during the bye week, he trades for Marshawn Lynch--for a 4th and a 5th round pick! The Seahawks make the playoff in the first year, albeit with a 7-9 record, beating the Saints in the Beastquake game.
Saints' fans are still butt-hurt from that game, which knocked the 2009 Superbowl Champions out of the playoffs... NO REPEAT FOR YOU!!

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Sounds about right. the Pete/JS combo have gotten a lot right, but have also had years where they’ve made some questionable decisions.

At their best they created the LOB, at their worst they’ve made moves that would have gotten most GMs fired if they hadn’t won a SuperBowl.

They’ve done a good job finding depth over the years, but until this draft they’ve struggled to find difference makers.

When they’re on, they’re on, when they’re off, ohhh boy is it bad.

It seems they’ve gotten less cute, and have adopted a back to basics approach. Last year the Russell Wilson trade was a stroke of brilliance. The draft that ensued was, oddly, very NFL orthodox by PC/JS standards. No strange reaches or weird picks, just very straight forward approach.

Even their approach to FA seems to be less of an anomaly this season. I’m interested to see what direction they go this draft.