Russell Wilson performance in Precision Passing Event

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Interesting thoughts here.

As we all have experienced ad nauseum the posts that talked of the damage being done to Wilson as a result of the poor OLine protection it is important to accept at least to some degree that weak protection has had some negative affects on Wilson.

I think he’s more gun shy than he used to be, yet at times tries to do too much. This of course is a contradiction but one born of the necessity caused by the whole O being forced upon Wilson. The abject complete failure of the running game has forced Wilson to be less focused upon his technique but more upon trying to force something to happen. At times he can be his own worst enemy and needs to throw it away at times rather than to be superman.

Wilson was a good baseball player and as lukerguy has observed throws like a baseball player at least when on the run, which sadly is far too often. The passing motion if carefully observed may be continued when throwing from the pocket or when stationary. I suspect it could be demonstrated he is better and more accurate throwing on the run than when dropping back or throwing from the shotgun. His accuracy seems to be inconsistent at times as we observe the overthrown passes or the passes thrown wide and the INT’s.

Wilson is a talented thrower but is frequently inaccurate and I suspect that is becoming more so when he’s stationary. He really needs new QB coaching and to be focusing more this offseason on his technique so he can develop into a more complete QB and reverse the damage done to his technique from the last few seasons.

chris98251

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1noymlzs said:
Interesting thoughts here.

As we all have experienced ad nauseum the posts that talked of the damage being done to Wilson as a result of the poor OLine protection it is important to accept at least to some degree that weak protection has had some negative affects on Wilson.

I think he’s more gun shy than he used to be, yet at times tries to do too much. This of course is a contradiction but one born of the necessity caused by the whole O being forced upon Wilson. The abject complete failure of the running game has forced Wilson to be less focused upon his technique but more upon trying to force something to happen. At times he can be his own worst enemy and needs to throw it away at times rather than to be superman.

Wilson was a good baseball player and as lukerguy has observed throws like a baseball player at least when on the run, which sadly is far too often. The passing motion if carefully observed may be continued when throwing from the pocket or when stationary. I suspect it could be demonstrated he is better and more accurate throwing on the run than when dropping back or throwing from the shotgun. His accuracy seems to be inconsistent at times as we observe the overthrown passes or the passes thrown wide and the INT’s.

Wilson is a talented thrower but is frequently inaccurate and I suspect that is becoming more so when he’s stationary. He really needs new QB coaching and to be focusing more this offseason on his technique so he can develop into a more complete QB and reverse the damage done to his technique from the last few seasons.

Throwing is a rhythm and function of repetitive motions and muscle memory, you state the baseball throw on the run is what he seems to favor now, I think he is better because be can control his throwing motion like a short stop throwing while in motion, having played myself you don't have to set but you can drive the throw with your shoulder across your body when throwing across your body, when throwing in the direction your running you can use your momentum on the throw.

In the pocket he does not have the time to drop set and throw and set his feet or drove a throw consistently, he looses his repetitive motion and his mechanics start to decline because he isn't using them due to a shorter window of time, sure he can arm throw and off balance throw to get it out but his passes will sail or be off the mark many times.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Good post Chris, sadly that’s exactly what’s happening. I think Luker’s observations are very right.

Solari has lots of work ahead but he has at least 3 solid OLinemen under contract to work with and potentially more. Having the players unlearn Cable’s unsound scheme will take some time and won’t be easy. I’m positive though because some stability with the OLine should potentially happen next season. The team has Fant returning and Odhiambo too, and Roos was starting to show he had some potential. The whole pool could have some further draft talent added and things may not look quite as awful next year. I think there are reasons for hope at any rate. Will be interesting to watch.

Meanwhile Wilson still needs to work on his mechanics so his pocket passing muscle memory improves to allow him better pocket accuracy. He’s just fine when in motion but hopefully that can be decreased so his risk of injury is lessened.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
While I do not share you guys optimism,I hope you are right.
I just wonder how long of leash he gets before it ends?

Anajimmc

Reaction score
Best in Twitter comments: "Well that was in the first quarter, just wait till they have a fourth quarter competition."

Latest posts