Russell on New contract....

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Russell Wilson is a near lock to sign a contract extension with the Seahawks that will make him the NFL's highest-paid player. But don't expect it to be a deal that changes how elite NFL stars are compensated.

On Monday's edition of NFL Total Access, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport threw cold water on talk that Wilson will receive a fully guaranteed long-term deal. According to Seahawks sources, Wilson's extension would include high, but not full, guarantees.

As for the timetable, Rapoport reported that the goal for the two sides is to put pen to paper on a deal before the start of training camp. The Seahawks also would like to get a new deal done with linebacker Bobby Wagner, but Wilson is an obvious priority for the organization this summer.

Talks between the two sides have yet to begin. Barring complications, Wilson will begin his fourth NFL season in rarified financial air -- a shift that will present a new set of challenges for a Seahawks team that has benefitted greatly from Wilson's bargain value.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... atn_hanzus

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
The most comparable guy in his peer group, Andrew Luck, hasn't signed yet either, so I don't think we need to worry. They'll make this happen. I can't think of the last franchise QB that walked that his original team wasn't the one who decided to move on. (now someone will come up with an obvious one making me look stupid!)

Tical21

Reaction score
Andrew Luck has an additional year of club control.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":1yk7gozk said:
The comments section on that PFT article had me like:

RpGitoW0UTYcvx I3FyxstAGWXDvTpyiErBp C5VW8 o jsEWJ

the amount of stupid is fascinating is it not?

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1pm93axv said:
Hawks46":1pm93axv said:
We don't have to over pay anyone. Wilson is good, and he's elite in the system that we have, with the OL that we have, but if we had this defense, a good run game (not elite like ours), better OL and skill position players, half the QBs in the league could win with this team.

Then why do teams with good defenses, good run games and skill position players rarely win the SB anymore?

Maybe if you go back 10-20 years, you could pull off a Trent Dilfer SB win, but not anymore. You need a special QB now, and Wilson is that. Russell and his agent know it, Pete and John know it, all the players know it, and we know it.

Pete and John ain't letting Russell go anywhere.

obviously hawks 46 does NOT know it, that boggles my mind. RW does far more with less then any qb in the NFL. Look at his stats, then look at the pressure he gets and then... who the f%$# is the throwing the ball too? it is mind blowing that people see him as anything other then elite, and he does that in a RUN heavy offense with a idiot OC.

Laloosh

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":24hl438b said:
Russell Wilson is a near lock to sign a contract extension with the Seahawks that will make him the NFL's highest-paid player. But don't expect it to be a deal that changes how elite NFL stars are compensated.

On Monday's edition of NFL Total Access, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport threw cold water on talk that Wilson will receive a fully guaranteed long-term deal. According to Seahawks sources, Wilson's extension would include high, but not full, guarantees.

As for the timetable, Rapoport reported that the goal for the two sides is to put pen to paper on a deal before the start of training camp. The Seahawks also would like to get a new deal done with linebacker Bobby Wagner, but Wilson is an obvious priority for the organization this summer.

Talks between the two sides have yet to begin. Barring complications, Wilson will begin his fourth NFL season in rarified financial air -- a shift that will present a new set of challenges for a Seahawks team that has benefitted greatly from Wilson's bargain value.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... atn_hanzus

"rarified financial air" eh? Sounds interesting.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ Key sentence in that: "Talks between the two sides have yet to begin. "

Cold water.

It'll happen for sure, but there's nothing to talk about as of yet.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Tical21":2o2pmm4s said:

Interesting. Why is that if they were drafted the same year. Maybe I am wrong assuming they both signed the same length of rookie deal.

At any rate, the fact that no talks have happened means no need for concern. Different story if the story was "talks have started but both sides are far apart"

McGruff

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":2v4ya78k said:
Tical21":2v4ya78k said:

Interesting. Why is that if they were drafted the same year. Maybe I am wrong assuming they both signed the same length of rookie deal.

At any rate, the fact that no talks have happened means no need for concern. Different story if the story was "talks have started but both sides are far apart"

First round picks automatically sign 5 year contracts. That's part of the value for teams in drafting in the first round . . . an extra year of club control.

TAB420

Reaction score
The Option Year

The four-year term mentioned above can turn to five years at the team’s discretion. In the prior rookie pay system, teams and players negotiated “buy backs” of additional contract years, often for significant compensation to the player. The new CBA eliminated such bells and whistles from these deals but does permit teams to add a year to first-round contracts without buying it. Article VII, Section 7(a) of the CBA allows teams to apply a fifth-year to first-round contracts, provided it is exercised before May 3 of the player’s fourth season, with salary as follows:
1.For players picked 1-10, the transition tag for their position in their fourth year (thus, the 2014 transition tag for 2011 picks);
2.For players picked 11-32, the average salary of players ranked 3rd-25th in salary for that position

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Maybe JS and Pete should call Russell's bluff.

All Russell's ever said is he's supremely confident in his ability and knows he's destined for greatness. If he's being truthful then John and Pete should tell him to take a Ricky Waters type deal where it's all incentive based.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2pahl6cu said:

All Russell's ever said is he's supremely confident in his ability and knows he's destined for greatness. If he's being truthful then John and Pete should tell him to take a Ricky Waters type deal where it's all incentive based.

Yeah I am sure Brady is supremely confident to as is Manning but their FOs never tried that, lets just insult the guy and loose him.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1p0s6acp said:

Let's not.

Rocket

Reaction score
sutz":4g9k41u7 said:
If he gets to next year without a new deal, he's gonna have GM's throwing hookers through his windows to entice him away.
:)

That sounds like something to put on your bucket list. :shock:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Anthony!":3i2hii6y said:
Sgt. Largent":3i2hii6y said:

Yeah I am sure Brady is supremely confident to as is Manning but their FOs never tried that, lets just insult the guy and loose him.

I was being facetious.

But it would be an interesting half joking conversation for Pete/John to have with Russell.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
sutz":330ivbx4 said:
If he gets to next year without a new deal, he's gonna have GM's throwing hookers through his windows to entice him away.

They should start with new clutches for his Rolls and work up from there.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hawks46":vblt5gs0 said:
HansGruber":vblt5gs0 said:
Yeah, kinda funny how every year we hear this stuff about various players. The media says we should have signed them, OMG!!!!!

Then Schneider or Carroll say in an interview that they're working on their own timeline, and the deals always happen shortly before the draft or training camp. And then the media and the panicking fans go on to panic about something else.

RW will get signed, and it'll happen after they're done with everyone else in FA, just like Schneider has repeatedly said they would do.

You can panic about it, but the whole thing seems kinda silly.

Exactly. When teams panic, and just pay what the QB demands them to, it's exactly why QBs get over paid. Look at guys like Cutler, Dalton, Kaepernick, etc. None of those guys are worth their contract, but it's such an important position, teams over pay so they'll have a QB, any QB.

We don't have to over pay anyone. Wilson is good, and he's elite in the system that we have, with the OL that we have, but if we had this defense, a good run game (not elite like ours), better OL and skill position players, half the QBs in the league could win with this team.

What OL have you been watching the last two years?

HansGruber

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2eq756kc said:
Hawks46":2eq756kc said:
HansGruber":2eq756kc said:
Yeah, kinda funny how every year we hear this stuff about various players. The media says we should have signed them, OMG!!!!!

Then Schneider or Carroll say in an interview that they're working on their own timeline, and the deals always happen shortly before the draft or training camp. And then the media and the panicking fans go on to panic about something else.

RW will get signed, and it'll happen after they're done with everyone else in FA, just like Schneider has repeatedly said they would do.

Exactly. When teams panic, and just pay what the QB demands them to, it's exactly why QBs get over paid. Look at guys like Cutler, Dalton, Kaepernick, etc. None of those guys are worth their contract, but it's such an important position, teams over pay so they'll have a QB, any QB.

I think he's saying if our OL was better, we could win with half the qbs in the league. Which would mean Wilson is handicapped by our current OL.

Or at least, that's how I read it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HansGruber":1cahctha said:
I think he's saying if our OL was better, we could win with half the qbs in the league. Which would mean Wilson is handicapped by our current OL.

You guys have a short memory, we had one of the best O-lines in 2006 and lost the SB with an average QB. In fact two of the members of that line are currently in the HOF, and going to be in the HOF.

To ever want to go back to having an average QB and hoping the O-line is good enough to make up for that QB's deficiencies is insane to me.

We finally have an elite QB, every one of us should be thanking baby Jesus daily for that, cause lord knows we spent the first 32 years watching dreadful QB play.

Anthony!

Reaction score
HansGruber":3s5acrqi said:
hawknation2015":3s5acrqi said:
Hawks46":3s5acrqi said:
HansGruber":3s5acrqi said:

Does not matter what he said the facts will show that to be a consistent playoff and SB contender you need a Franchise QB.