Thoughts on Geno's contract

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
My brother in christ, Daniel Jones isn't even good enough in the system of Daboll to be called a system quarterback.

Geno plays really well within structure, yes. He had some good offscript moments last year, but he's definitely a quarterback who plays best in structure. That's not really being a "system quarterback." Every QB plays within a system. The ones who try to play independent of the offensive system they're in simply fail.
Well there are structures then there are structures. Our last franchise QB has his own 'srructure'.

Goofing with ya, and you were right, all QB function better in a structure.

JerHawk81

Reaction score
Sorry if already posted, but OTC has posted the breakdown of his salary, and it's a very team friendly deal:

Only counts $10M against the cap in 2023!!!
Can cut after one year at a total cost of $27.4M, with $17.4M of that as dead money in 2024.
Can cut after two years at a total cost of ~$50M, with $9M of that as dead money in 2025.
Incentives are extremally ambitious!
Can keep for the full three years at $75M total, or $25M/year.

Whether you look at this as a one, two, or three year deal, I feel like this is a very very team friendly deal... especially when you look at the QB market right now (Tua's 5th year picked up at $23M guarantied in 2024, Daniel Jones at $40M/year, Carr at $38M with 100M guaranteed, etc.).

Wow. Freaking amazing.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
My brother in christ, Daniel Jones isn't even good enough in the system of Daboll to be called a system quarterback.

Geno plays really well within structure, yes. He had some good offscript moments last year, but he's definitely a quarterback who plays best in structure. That's not really being a "system quarterback." Every QB plays within a system. The ones who try to play independent of the offensive system they're in simply fail.
Daboll must see some potential in Jones, why else hitch your young HC coaching career to him?

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Because you don't actually KNOW what his "Market Value" is or would have been had he not signed to stay with the team that gave him his SHOT to prove he still has it, and you DO NOT KNOW if he wouldn't have drawn interest from another Quarterback needy team.
'Negative Speculation' that's all you post, because that's all you have.
Speculation in this case is neither negative nor positive.

The only negative in this case is the metaphorical dog that didn’t bark. Zero rumors of another team pursuing him, an agent with ample opportunity to feel out the market during the combine, and ultimately signing an extremely team friendly deal well below the franchise level that many assumed he’d command.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Speculation in this case is neither negative nor positive.

The only negative in this case is the metaphorical dog that didn’t bark. Zero rumors of another team pursuing him, an agent with ample opportunity to feel out the market during the combine, and ultimately signing an extremely team friendly deal well below the franchise level that many assumed he’d command.
That doesn't prove SH*T!
IF Non- G-R-E-E-D-Y Geno told his Agent to work out the best deal he could, where he CAN STILL STAY A SEAHAWK, (something that LOOK AT ME-3 would NEVER have done), you A-S-S-U-M-E that there wasn't ANY Quarterback starving Team that wouldn't have given him a hell of a lot more?...Yeah, that shows that it's Y-O-U who wouldn't have done right by the HC & Organization that stood behind Geno when the chips were down.
YOU DON'T K-N-O-W that he wasn't about to be offered MORE MONEY, Y-O-U don't K-N-O-W what Y-O-U don't K-N-O-W, so why do YOU "Speculate" from the Posterior Cavity?

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
That doesn't prove SH*T!
IF Non- G-R-E-E-D-Y Geno told his Agent to work out the best deal he could, where he CAN STILL STAY A SEAHAWK, (something that LOOK AT ME-3 would NEVER have done), you A-S-S-U-M-E that there wasn't ANY Quarterback starving Team that wouldn't have given him a hell of a lot more?...Yeah, that shows that it's Y-O-U who wouldn't have done right by the HC & Organization that stood behind Geno when the chips were down.
YOU DON'T K-N-O-W that he wasn't about to be offered MORE MONEY, Y-O-U don't K-N-O-W what Y-O-U don't K-N-O-W, so why do YOU "Speculate" from the Posterior Cavity?
Thank you for adding the hyphens, definite improvement to the persuasiveness of your viewpoint.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Now that the details have come out this is an amazing deal for the team in multiple aspects. Geno is basically playing for a discount this season and then we have team control to keep him or not depending on how the season goes.

If Geno isn't good than this is only a 1 year/$27m deal where we were able to spread the money evenly over the next three years. 99% of QBs would have much preferred just taking the non-exclusive franchise tag for more money this year and then hitting free agency for even more money again. I am legitimately impressed that Geno is not only willing to bet on himself to this degree but also that he recognizes that taking less money helps us build a team around him.

Second, the reported incentives are not actually incentives but rather escalators which mean they don't affect our 2023 cap. They only affect our 2024 cap if he hits them, in which case we would be very happy to pay them.

Lastly, his 2025 year is also not guaranteed but if he is playing even decently will be a no-brainer to keep at only a $34m cap hit. That will look like a steal in 2025 when you look at the cap increasing and the QBs who will be getting paid over the next two seasons. The average top 15 QB hit is probably going to be closer to $60m.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Thank you for adding the hyphens, definite improvement to the persuasiveness of your viewpoint.
You're welcome, although I KNOW that everything I posted is flying right the hell over your head....Work on your "Reading Comprehension", you'll be amazed at how much that others have grown, and LEARNED from just going beyond blustering blah, blah Bullsh*t Pelvis.

Rainger

Reaction score
You didnt notice the picks and bad decisions? Ok, no big deal. I know most fans have already labeled him as the next Johnny Unitas and best QB the Seahawks have ever had so we'll just leave it at that. We'll just have to wait and see how the next few years play out.
Man you post weird shit. NO one on .net has remotely indicated in any way that Geno is the next Unitas or is the best QB in Seahawks history.

But many are not as perversely negative against him like you are. Many are happy for his story and his above average play that is better than 20 of the teams in the league.

NO ONE is making him out to be Mahomes, or Allen etc. Take your blind love for ME3 and please stop going after every single poster who is thankful Geno turned it around and is delivering to the Seahawks SOLID qb play!!!!

pittpnthrs

Reaction score

Lol. Wilson won a lot when he had to abandon the pathetic gameplan or did you forget about that?

Rainger

Reaction score
I think the incentives is going to be the downfall for this deal. Geno seems to be at his best when there is no pressure. Im sure the money will be in his head at times trying to make/force plays. He was very careless in the second half of the season.

I still think we should have just improve the defense and go w/ Lock or a rookie QB. This deal does have a good safety net for the Seahawks though.
Obviously you would make a post like that as you still use ME3 as your avatar. This was a great contract for the club and does not ham-string the club like ME3 did.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Lol. Wilson won a lot when he had to abandon the pathetic gameplan or did you forget about that?
No, he wouldn't follow the gameplan, and this was true with several offensive coordinators. That's when he started sucking worst of all. When he'd beat his lil uptempo, offense-runs-through-him drum and go all Let Russ Cook.

No. He's best when sticking to a very limited role, letting the run game move the chains, and focusing on deep passing. You know why? Because the mental side of his game is horrific. He can't read defenses, he has bad pocket presence, and he can't outrun edge rushers anymore.

Are you really going to try to argue that Seattle didn't provide a good framework for Wilson? Your amazing off-script quarterback just ruined his legacy in one season. Why's that? He can just throw out bad gameplans and exceed expectations anyway, right?

A new hole in your logic opens with every reply.

Last edited:

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
You're welcome, although I KNOW that everything I posted is flying right the hell over your head....Work on your "Reading Comprehension", you'll be amazed at how much that others have grown, and LEARNED from just going beyond blustering blah, blah Bullsh*t Pelvis.
I comprehend you just fine, however, you’re usually having a completely divergent conversation.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
How can anyone see this contract as anything other than a win-win for both the team and Geno. 30 tds. 4k passer. Led the league in completion percentage. All while going into the season was viewed as trash and us tanking the season. 25 mill a year base salary with only 40 fully guaranteed which allows us cap space and ability to draft a guy to learn for a season or two. If he nails all those incentives that equates to having a solid QB and still paying well under the going rate of the guys inked to 45-50 million a year. Great team leader that is fully recognized by everyone in that locker room, he’s super humble and weathered through the humility he faced for years but kept grinding. Yea maybe the market wasn’t coming after him but even more he didn’t want to go anywhere else and we wanted him at the helm.