Russell on New contract....

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":2zvn6uey said:
Tical21":2zvn6uey said:
I dunno that the media is overblowing this. This should be done by now. If we value Wilson and think he is vital, this should be done. He never should have gotten to this point without a contract. I personally think the front office underestimated what he would be willing to take, and spent their money on KJ Wright and Jimmy Graham and Cary Williams when they should have made sure they wrapped up Wilson first.

I don't see at all why it should be done. What is there to worry about at this point? Push comes to shove we franchise him for a number close to what he's worth because he had a great season. If he gets hurt or regresses atleast we didn't sign him to 100mil guaranteed. If Russel is cool with it him playing out his contract seems like the best option.
BINGO!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Russell needs the Seahawks as much as the Seahawks need him. He has a great owner, good coach, etc. Every one of those are being patient with his development. This is the best situation for him. He understands that. So do the Seahawks. Imagine what Russell Wilson would be like, for example with a team like the Redskins, he may have never even got a chance to play and even if he did, he'd be playing on eggshells. Because of this, I feel RW and the Seahawks will come to an agreement that works for both parties.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
HansGruber":397a27up said:
Yeah, kinda funny how every year we hear this stuff about various players. The media says we should have signed them, OMG!!!!!

Then Schneider or Carroll say in an interview that they're working on their own timeline, and the deals always happen shortly before the draft or training camp. And then the media and the panicking fans go on to panic about something else.

RW will get signed, and it'll happen after they're done with everyone else in FA, just like Schneider has repeatedly said they would do.

You can panic about it, but the whole thing seems kinda silly.
I call the OMG/panic thing the "Facebook mentality". Drives me nuts at times.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":18538jmv said:
I think the fan speculation over this has become a bit overblown, nationally speaking.

I think any new deal we see is going to see paid handsomely but I also doubt Russ is going to handcuff the team dramatically especially the short-term when the team is in a dominant window of Championship opportunity.

I also feel in the future, Russ will restructure his contract in ways that could free up space to allow the Seahawks to go after an elite talent If the opportunity presents It self.

I also think getting an elite physical talent like Jimmy Graham his important to the total franchise QB evaluation.

I think we know what Russ's ceiling with an elite running game and elite defense but we also saw his limitations with a mediocre WR group and O-Line.

I just think Russ is smart enough to understand that the Seahawks will always put elite defense and running game first. And his own success dependent on that winning formula. Which means that in order to invest in WR and O-Line talent he's going have to make small sacrifices here and there to help him max out his potential and ability.

We'll see though. Something will have to give.

Russ either signs for elite QB money and has to earn Championships through hard work and luck.

Or he'll meet the team in the middle and insure the team can keep the pieces around him that will keep the team strong around him.
Get out of my mind!

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
I see that many posters here fail to understand that ANYTIME there are "blood sucking lawyers" involved they manage to slow down negotiations so they can make more money. I guarantee it!

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hawkfan68":29csw1ez said:
Russell needs the Seahawks as much as the Seahawks need him. He has a great owner, good coach, etc. Every one of those are being patient with his development. This is the best situation for him. He understands that. So do the Seahawks. Imagine what Russell Wilson would be like, for example with a team like the Redskins, he may have never even got a chance to play and even if he did, he'd be playing on eggshells. Because of this, I feel RW and the Seahawks will come to an agreement that works for both parties.
Yes, the've had to be very 'patient' with the playoff win in his rookie season, SB W year 2 and NFC Champs year 3. So slow on the uptake, that kid. [emoji6]

LymonHawk

Reaction score
If RW, like he says, wants to be the greatest QB ever, he's going to have play for a great team.

Seriously, folks, think about it. Without considering the QB, who is the strongest team in the NFL?

chris98251

Reaction score
I think deal is done just waiting for the right time to drop it, other players that may get cut and so forth to see what they can add and if necessary tweek things. Wilson knows how the business end works and he knows that his fit here is good for his type of game. Wilson also isn't knee jerk about things. I think it happens after the draft anyway.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":vyr84aaj said:
hawkfan68":vyr84aaj said:
Yes, the've had to be very 'patient' with the playoff win in his rookie season, SB W year 2 and NFC Champs year 3. So slow on the uptake, that kid. [emoji6]

My post wasn't a knock on RW. Maybe I wasn't clear. I meant that the Seahawks have given him an opportunity where some other teams may not have. That's my point. He's in a very good situation in Seattle whereas the situation with other teams may not be as good. RW is very smart and wise enough to realize that. There are reasons why perpetually bad teams are consistently bad. The front office management for those teams are very poor. That's not the case with the Seahawks. That's all I was saying.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I think the media reads way too much into every little detail. Wilson is trying to do what he always does and say the politically correct thing to say when asked the questions about his contract. It's all being taken care of behind the scenes. Schneider has said that he has already begun the preliminary talks with his agent and anyone who has watched Schneider work, knows that when re-upping contracts in the off season, they usually come through in April or May. I would be completely shocked if he wasn't extended before training camp.

sutz

Reaction score
kidhawk":3cl95foy said:
I think the media reads way too much into every little detail. Wilson is trying to do what he always does and say the politically correct thing to say when asked the questions about his contract. It's all being taken care of behind the scenes. Schneider has said that he has already begun the preliminary talks with his agent and anyone who has watched Schneider work, knows that when re-upping contracts in the off season, they usually come through in April or May. I would be completely shocked if he wasn't extended before training camp.
That's because Schneider is smart enough to ignore the media crap and just get things done. There are zero rumors out there of any 'problems' that I've hear, except for some less than reliable sources who's best line seems to be: Why hasn't this happened faster than any other contract in the history of the NFL?

And now, with the draft pushed back a few weeks from when it used to be, there's no pressure to hurry from that front, either. Much ado about nothing.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
The FO has a timeline for their offseason and extending contracts appears to happen in around April. What is the point of extending a contract before the dust has settled with free agency?

You also have to keep in mind that it is a waiting game for RW as well because the QB contracts for Newton, Luck and RW will be based off each other to some extent.

BeerHawker

Reaction score
They may well already have agreed on term, total $$ and guarantee. Until all the other contracts of any significance are settled, how all the money gets arranged is currently uncertain. For example, If Mebane is not coming back, there may be another $5 million or so to assign to this year's compensation. On the other hand, if we do not go with a mid-round Center and sign an established one, that may require the Hawks to move money later into RW's contract.

Quite apart from the risk of injury if RW is tagged for two years, the lost income from not having $30 or 40,000,000 as an upfront signing bonus to invest (e.g. I'm guessing he is the sort of guy any company would love to have on it's President's list for first crack at IPO's) likely exceeds any extra he might find as free agent 3 years from now.

The only KNOWN facts here are that RW is a very smart man, JS and PC are very smart men and PA is maybe the smartest man on the planet. Plus they are all excellent business men. Plus they are all totally committed to Seattle and its (self-diagnosed) nut-bar fan base.

I have other stuff to worry about.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
BeerHawker":mbvqn1gr said:
Quite apart from the risk of injury if RW is tagged for two years, the lost income from not having $30 or 40,000,000 as an upfront signing bonus to invest (e.g. I'm guessing he is the sort of guy any company would love to have on it's President's list for first crack at IPO's) likely exceeds any extra he might find as free agent 3 years from now..

Maybe Russell's just a good actor, but I honestly don't think he gives any credence to thinking this way.

He's 100% supremely confident in his talent, and has no problem playing on one year franchise deals if he and his agent don't get what they want.

Hawks46

Reaction score
HansGruber":3nkg24gm said:
Yeah, kinda funny how every year we hear this stuff about various players. The media says we should have signed them, OMG!!!!!

Then Schneider or Carroll say in an interview that they're working on their own timeline, and the deals always happen shortly before the draft or training camp. And then the media and the panicking fans go on to panic about something else.

RW will get signed, and it'll happen after they're done with everyone else in FA, just like Schneider has repeatedly said they would do.

Exactly. When teams panic, and just pay what the QB demands them to, it's exactly why QBs get over paid. Look at guys like Cutler, Dalton, Kaepernick, etc. None of those guys are worth their contract, but it's such an important position, teams over pay so they'll have a QB, any QB.

We don't have to over pay anyone. Wilson is good, and he's elite in the system that we have, with the OL that we have, but if we had this defense, a good run game (not elite like ours), better OL and skill position players, half the QBs in the league could win with this team.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Hawks46":35xtdmys said:
HansGruber":35xtdmys said:

Exactly. When teams panic, and just pay what the QB demands them to, it's exactly why QBs get over paid. Look at guys like Cutler, Dalton, Kaepernick, etc. None of those guys are worth their contract, but it's such an important position, teams over pay so they'll have a QB, any QB.

We don't have to over pay anyone. Wilson is good, and he's elite in the system that we have, with the OL that we have, but if we had this defense, a good run game (not elite like ours), better OL and skill position players, half the QBs in the league could win with this team.

:lol:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawks46":1f9n9me7 said:

Then why do teams with good defenses, good run games and skill position players rarely win the SB anymore?

Maybe if you go back 10-20 years, you could pull off a Trent Dilfer SB win, but not anymore. You need a special QB now, and Wilson is that. Russell and his agent know it, Pete and John know it, all the players know it, and we know it.

Pete and John ain't letting Russell go anywhere.