Thoughts on Geno's contract

toffee

Reaction score
Three QB contracts in 2 days, Carr, Geno, and Jones. Geno had a better season last year, but his incentive ladened contract was more team friendly than the other two. Frankly unlike Wilson, he never had a big contract, and this could be his last, but he gave the team a break.

That led me to think, when was the last time Russell Wilson took one for the team? With Geno's contract, we have more room to build up our area of weaknesses.

Teammates love Geno, now, I can see why. Based on what I have read, Geno just elevated himself in toffee's world from Geno to Mr.Smith :)

Rainger

Reaction score
I doubt Geno discounted, his market simply wasn’t there.

Carr got paid for proven production over time.
Jones got paid for youth and potential.

Geno has none of that going for him.
Why can't you believe that he was happy how the Hawks treated him and did not do a ME3.
It doest mean there was no market.

This is decent money and it shows Geno is a team player and cares about building a winner.

Not everyone is a greedy F*ck.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Why can't you believe that he was happy how the Hawks treated him and did not do a ME3.

This is decent money and it shows Geno is a team player and cares about building a winner.

It’s not greedy to maximize your earnings, especially when it likely your last shot at a big payday.

If the details prove out to what’s been reported so far, it looks to be a classic win-win deal. Seattle gets current stability and future flexibility while Geno secures generational wealth without the risk of losing a game of musical chairs.

I’m not dismissing Geno’s value as a QB by saying the market wasn’t going to pay him north of 25 mil. It’s just a function of excess supply and Geno lacking either a proven track record or long term upside.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score

No reason for Geno not to want more, he never had a big contract and this could be his last. Yet he sign for less than two more proven mehs. He is Mr. Smith to me until proven otherwise :)

Spin Doctor

Reaction score

Smith himself said that he would be making business decisions at the end of the day in a press conference.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Looks like tens of millions of incentives are in that contract. Geno is betting on himself, along with prioritizing the success of the team, in a balanced way. As others pointed out, Me3 never did anything like that, it was always 100% about maxing out for Me3. So Geno set up a Tom-Brady-like contract situation, though Brady had endorsements income that made up the difference, where Geno doesn't have that (yet).

P.S. I'm looking forward to Geno's endorsements... USPS? ("I aint write back... until now. Who do you need to write back to?") Or maybe Zoom... ("Don't write back... Zoom them instead!") Maybe spokesman for Jawbreakers "Jawbusters" line? ("Take it from me, Geno Smith, skip the busted jaw and pick up a bag of Jawbreakers Jawbusters instead!") and then of course there's Urgent Care providers, ("When life busts you in the jaw... get back in the game with (Providence?) Urgent Care!")

P.P.S. Then there's the collection agency commercial... ("When a fake friend stiffs you, count on IK Enemkapali Collections to bust them in the jaw and get your cash back! ...guaranteed, I.K. gets you OK!")

Last edited:
OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Looks like tens of millions of incentives are in that contract. Geno is betting on himself, along with prioritizing the success of the team, in a balanced way. As others pointed out, Me3 never did anything like that, it was always 100% about maxing out for Me3. So Geno set up a Tom-Brady-like contract situation, though Brady had endorsements income that made up the difference, where Geno doesn't have that (yet).

P.S. I'm looking forward to Geno's endorsements... USPS? ("I aint write back... until now. Who do you need to write back to?") Or maybe Zoom... ("Don't write back... Zoom them instead!") Maybe spokesman for Jawbreakers "Jawbusters" line? ("Take it from me, Geno Smith, skip the busted jaw and pick up a bag of Jawbreakers Jawbusters instead!") and then of course there's Urgent Care providers, ("When life busts you in the jaw... get back in the game with (Providence?) Urgent Care!")

P.P.S. Then there's the collection agency commercial... ("When a fake friend stiffs you, count on IK Enemkapali Collections to bust them in the jaw and get your cash back! ...guaranteed, I.K. gets you OK!")
I respect Geno for taking a risk, betting on himself, and helping the team out. No one could blame him for wanting more, but as you said, he did it in a balanced way.

Yo Mr. Unlimited, hear that?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Lol. Wilson restructured his contract to bring in Duane Brown. Some of you just need to stop and quit trying to paint him as such a villain.

As for Smiths contract, he's still in Seattle because nobody else offered him more. He didnt sign the contract as a favor to the Seahawks. I think its a bit high, but i'm mostly indifferent about it. Seems it'll help to sign some players and fill some holes for when the time comes that the team gets a better QB.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Legal tampering period doesn't even start for another week. No other team has even had a chance to make an offer yet.
Which means the illegal tampering period is in effect now. I’m sure Geno’s agent had a good idea of the market one way or the other.

The whole league just spent a week together, discussions were had.

AgentDib

Reaction score
There are many different types of incentives, and it's important to realize that initial reports about NFL contracts don't mean anything at all until you see the specifics. First the deal sounded too expensive with total possible earnings talk coming from an agent. Now it sounds like a bargain with base salary information being released. The truth is probably going to be in the middle somewhere when some of the incentives are LTBE and need accounted for in the cap. When it comes to contracts the details matter.
Lol. Wilson restructured his contract to bring in Duane Brown. Some of you just need to stop and quit trying to paint him as such a villain.
Are you aware that the typical contract restructuring is a good thing for the player involved? Teams take base salary that the player could earn and give it to them immediately in the form of a signing bonus which can then be accounted for over the duration of the contract due to the cap rules. It's not a sacrifice in any way and portraying it like the player did somebody else a favor is misleading.

bileever

Reaction score
I honestly believe Geno could have gotten more than $25 million per year on the open market. Both PFF and nfl.com listed Geno as the 2nd highest ranked free agent for this year, behind Lamar Jackson. He is getting paid less than any of the 15 highest paid QBs, and we know he is better than a number of them.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Which means the illegal tampering period is in effect now. I’m sure Geno’s agent had a good idea of the market one way or the other.

The whole league just spent a week together, discussions were had.

Discussions do not equal negotiations, and nothing replaces the pressure of watching all your free agent options starting to get snatched up by other teams. That tends to open the purse.

We are starting to see that with the NYJ, with GB being the potential beneficiary of their increasing desperation.

PFF had him modeled at 37.5, for 4 years, and Spotrac at 39.3, for 2 years. It's entirely possible that the threat of the franchise tag made him consider a lower offer than he might have received elsewhere.

The actual incentive structure will be interesting to see. I imagine it's going to be reasonably fair to both sides, with Geno earning all of it if he repeats his success of last year.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I honestly believe Geno could have gotten more than $25 million per year on the open market. Both PFF and nfl.com listed Geno as the 2nd highest ranked free agent for this year, behind Lamar Jackson. He is getting paid less than any of the 15 highest paid QBs, and we know he is better than a number of them.
Nah, 25 sounds about right. He wanted to be here, and the team wanted him here. Worked out great on both sides. Yet ANOTHER win for this front office.
Plus, throwing in the 30 in incentives is PERFECT. Make the guy earn it, and if he does, the team is likely successful. Hopefully he gets every last penny of that extra 30 mil.