Run D

hoxrox

Reaction score
They had an entire offseason to fix the run defense and failed miserably.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
in my best Jim Mora Snr. voice:

“Run D? Run D? What run D?”

The team left the run D almost solely to Reed and Williams, and whiffed or made decisions to avoid tackles. At times they even got ragdolled. It was not pretty to watch.

Hurrt should be fired for his total failure to meet the objectives he was hired to produce: i.e.: a defence the can actually play Defence.

PeruHawk

Reaction score
We can’t tackle
When I was in Pop Warner they taught us to aim below the waist, wrap up and hold on. Not sure why so many pros try to tackle above the waist. Perhaps its the speed of the game... Yet, Richard Sherman was an excellent tackler. Most current Seahawks could learn by watching film on that guy's technique.

renofox

Reaction score
When I was in Pop Warner they taught us to aim below the waist, wrap up and hold on. Not sure why so many pros try to tackle above the waist. Perhaps its the speed of the game... Yet, Richard Sherman was an excellent tackler. Most current Seahawks could learn by watching film on that guy's technique.
I started Pop Warner at age 5 in 1965. Wrapping up at the waist, keeping your legs driving, and sliding down the legs and rolling if necessary was taught starting in the first week. It was drilled at least every other practice for the entire 9 years I played. Then I played HS football and it was still coached and practiced. Then I played college ball and it was still coached and practiced.

When did they quit teaching football players how to tackle?

Or do we have a bunch of players who DGAF about repercussions from the coaches and are just focused on never taking an injury risk so they can get the next big $ contract?

Or WHAT?

hoxrox

Reaction score
This game really reminded me of the first several games of last year when teams who weren't particularly good at running the ball suddenly became master of the ground and pound when they faced this defense, somehow it feels like Pete and Clint Hurt were more scared of getting burned by George Pickens than Harris and Warren steamrolling them, thus why it took them awhile to come out of that 2 high shell
Pete admitted that their gameplan was to stop the explosive plays.... by a BACK UP QB. They were so scared of a back up QB that they didn't load the box until later in the game when the Steelers already had over 150 yards rushing.

renofox

Reaction score
Pete admitted that their gameplan was to stop the explosive plays.... by a BACK UP QB. They were so scared of a back up QB that they didn't load the box until later in the game when the Steelers already had over 150 yards rushing.
I tried to find my Gameday thread about this but couldn't.

On the 1st drive, the Defense had 5 in the box almost every snap with a few 6s.

On the 2nd drive, it was a mix of 5s and 6s.

On the 3rd drive, mostly 6s but still some 5s.

On the 4th drive, a few 7s but mostly 6s and a couple 5.

These 4 drives consumed the 1st half and the Stealers already had 130+yds rushing, 2 rushing TDs, and TOP of about 18:00 to 12:00.

FINALLY, in the 2nd half they started to play 7 in the box on the majority of snaps and actually were in great position to stop the run consistently. Even though the players constantly whiffed, the playcalling at least started to give them a chance.

BTW, many were arguing with me about the #s in the box but I was using the definition from when I started playing in the '60s. I checked and the definition is still the same:

The area from the outside shoulder of the OL (including inline TEs) extending 3-5 yards beyond the LOS.

The coaches actually thought they could stop the run with 2 down lineman (not including a true NT), 2 Edge, and an old and slow LB. When it was clearly not working it took them a full half to ease into adjustments.

Malpractice.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I started Pop Warner at age 5 in 1965. Wrapping up at the waist, keeping your legs driving, and sliding down the legs and rolling if necessary was taught starting in the first week. It was drilled at least every other practice for the entire 9 years I played. Then I played HS football and it was still coached and practiced. Then I played college ball and it was still coached and practiced.

When did they quit teaching football players how to tackle?

Or do we have a bunch of players who DGAF about repercussions from the coaches and are just focused on never taking an injury risk so they can get the next big $ contract?

Or WHAT?
I learned about wrapping up the hard way. As a HS player I had a clear shot on a RB along the sideline. Instead of wrapping up on the tackle I chose to hit the back thinking my momentum would just take him down. I was wrong and instead of a 1 or 2 yard gain the back went for another 20. Never again did I not wrap up on a tackle. If a 16 year old snot nosed kid can figure that out, why do Seahawks defenders keep on with this stupid ass way of playing defense?

Every single time I see missed tackles because of not wrapping up and at least waiting for your teammates to join in on the tackle, I get PTSD over that one time decades ago.

Come on guys. Wrap up the ball carrier and if he still doesn’t go down trust that your teammates will help you out. Wasn’t it something like 132 yards after contact on Sunday for the stealers?

Maybe we should just nickname this defense the NAD. No Arms Defense.

renofox

Reaction score
I learned about wrapping up the hard way. As a HS player I had a clear shot on a RB along the sideline. Instead of wrapping up on the tackle I chose to hit the back thinking my momentum would just take him down. I was wrong and instead of a 1 or 2 yard gain the back went for another 20. Never again did I not wrap up on a tackle. If a 16 year old snot nosed kid can figure that out, why do Seahawks defenders keep on with this stupid ass way of playing defense?

Every single time I see missed tackles because of not wrapping up and at least waiting for your teammates to join in on the tackle, I get PTSD over that one time decades ago.

Come on guys. Wrap up the ball carrier and if he still doesn’t go down trust that your teammates will help you out. Wasn’t it something like 132 yards after contact on Sunday for the stealers?

Maybe we should just nickname this defense the NAD. No Arms Defense.
I've had a few of those brainfarts while playing, too. I was taught to wrap up near the waist and if the guy is dragging you along to stay wrapped up while sliding down his legs - eventually you get to the ankles and at that point a 120# guy easily takes down a 250# guy.

It always worked unless I f7cked up. When that happened, the shame and embarrassment and razzing was so bad it didn't happen again for a while.

I just don't understand why the Seahawks players were not actually dropping dead from shame. I've never seen that level of IDGAF from any team I've played on.

Flabbergasted.