Is Pete running this D???

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Because if he is it’s time for a change.

If not it’s time to see some butts kicked and changes made.

Stafford had success when he needed it throwing the same passes over the middle that beat the team in game one. My sense is our DC is batter Dline coach than he is as a DC. The same stuff has been a problem all season long.

What a sad and disappointing defensive weak ass show in the 2nd half today. Enough already!

BTW someone should have taken a round out of Donald for his intentional attempt to injure Geno. I’d have rather seen one of our OLineman kicked out after smacking Donald around than letting him get away with that BS.

The team lost this game only b/c the D could not stop the Rams from converting on 3rd down.

If the Rams can beat the Hawks that easily in the 4th Q, they are vulnerable big time against the Digits. And the rest of the year looks like it will be problematic.

hoxrox

Reaction score
I'm not that mad at the D. If it were not for Woolen's hands to the face on a key third down, and the phantom DPI on Spoon, McVay's genius offense doesn't score that much. I mean they still kept them to only 17 points. That's a good day at the office in the modern NFL.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The D WAS the weak link today.

In the end I am still not convinced that Pate and not the DC is running the D. However,i if he is then my OP is still my thinking after watching the sad defensive show the team served up in the 2nd half .

They were outschemed.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
The Rams offense was held to overall paltry success and it should've been enough to secure a win. I have minor complaints here and there, but they generally did a fine job today and I don't have an issue with scheme. Pass rush was getting home, coverage was decent except over the middle where Bobby can't be the Bobby of old.

Defense had to keep running out there in the second half with the offense unable to move, especially when Drew was in. Again, complimentary football.

knownone

Reaction score
The defense needs to figure out how to defend against the screen. Outside of that, they were fine.

Torc

Reaction score
17 points.

I'll take that effort any day. It's HARD to keep an NFL team under 20.

I'm way more concerned that we scored only 16 than the Rams scored 17.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
No doubt the 2nd half O was a disaster after Geno got hurt and Lock could do diddly but the O got the team to a shot at a last play FG which was just wide right from 55 yards.

The D otoh could not stop the Rams and they won with stuff that they won against us earlier in the season.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I just want to make it clear if the D can get a stop on the Rams last series the Hawks win this critical divisional game instead af their weak ass show. The O put together an excellent clutch attempt to score a late and LONG FG. Sadly it missed.

I do not however still believe that Pete is in charge of the D, except in a buck stops here way. Nor is he in charge of the O, except in the same way. However, sadly the patterns are getting clearer and clearer and changes need to be made.

If Pete still has the royal jelly, which I believe he has, this critical loss is watershed moment which must now result in some significant intervention because there are serious leadership questions arising from it.

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Defense has largely reverted to a lot of Carroll philosophy, according to the film guys. Makes sense considering the instant run improvement.

Yes, we can play this game all day with "they could've done better," but they had a very good game overall. Setting yourself up for continual disappointment if you need them to hold teams to 14 every game. That's not a realistic ask for even good defenses. The LOB gave up 14.4 on average. What the hell else do you guys want from them?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, you give up 17 points, you should win every time, imo. This game isn't even close to being on the Defense.

Optimus25

Reaction score
I mean the average success against our defense was 4.25 pts/qtr, and that includes a incredulous phantom PI call to get them into the end zone when they were stopped.

Any threads about the defense right now are misaligned with the elephant in the room.

Our offense is tanking, but they make sparkling plays to keep your attention off them long enough so you don’t realize they’re terribly inefficient at winning games.