Rumor: RW asking to be the highest paid player in history

Rob12

Reaction score
Anthony!":3ew9drr1 said:
chris98251":3ew9drr1 said:
Just to play the devil here.

This is what have you done for me lately league. What was Russell's last pass, he is a 3rd round pick that made good and could be argued the system he is in makes his percentage elevated because it dictates safe plays, his yardage and attempts isn't up where the elite QB's are. He is supported by the best back in the league, he has the best defense in the league so isn't asked to carry a team. He has fundamental flaws in his game and needs to see the field better and hit his secondary receivers and learn to throw them open.

What have you done for me lately well you historic defense gave up a 10 point lead with under 10 minutes in the game. HMM As to the rest of your post well its wrong.

I think the fact that you say these things about our defense is laughable. Never in the history of this league has the rule book been more slanted towards helping offenses score a lot of points and pile up a massive amount of yards. Yet, you parrot this line about the defense every chance you get - a defense that, yes, IS ABSOLUTELY historically great and elite. What they've accomplished over the past three seasons is nothing short of pure dominance.

They gave up a lead to arguably the best QB ever. They were also severely banged up. Lane got hurt bad. Earl was badly hurt, as was Sherman. Chancellor was essentially playing on one leg. Avril was knocked out with a concussion. But you continue to ignore all of that because it supports your stance.

I'm not attacking you here - but really, are you a Seattle Seahawks fan or a RW fan? It seems you have no issue with throwing others under the bus in order to defend him. And I get that to a point, because I love RW too. But come on, man. Our defense did enough, as crippled as it was. We should have won another Lombardi. But a garbage play call and a bit of an errant pass did us in.

Rob12

Reaction score
And just so I'm clear, I'm not questioning your Seahawks fandom, but am just a bit perplexed at the stance you continually take with our defense when you basically insinuate that they handed the Lombardi to Brady and the Pats when that's simply not the case at all.

Edit:

A few posts up you said "You(r) historic defense." So I'm confused - RW fan or Seahawks fan? Not sure why that statement wouldn't say, "OUR historic defense."

Again, no disrespect intended.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Rob12":vb4nhge4 said:
And just so I'm clear, I'm not questioning your Seahawks fandom, but am just a bit perplexed at the stance you continually take with our defense when you basically insinuate that they handed the Lombardi to Brady and the Pats when that's simply not the case at all.

Edit:

A few posts up you said "You(r) historic defense." So I'm confused - RW fan or Seahawks fan? Not sure why that statement wouldn't say, "OUR historic defense."

Again, no disrespect intended.

Point still stand the defense had two chances to seal the deal in our last two playoff losses and failed miserably both times

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
You all just need to agree to disagree.
Only way we determine RW's real value is if we let him reach the free agent market or offer to trade him.
Both may never happen at this stage of his career as PC/JS realize his quality of play extend beyond his numbers. The OC and receiving corps have as much to do with the passing numbers as does RW. Remember that this young man was in a passing offense and set completion records at NC STATE then went to Wisconsin where under OC Paul Chryst his passing stats and play making rivaled Andrew Luck's. Some here vastly under sell your franchise qb because of the great defense just remember "steel sharpens steel".
I pray we never lose Wilson to a contender.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Remember before 2011 we all wished we had a franchised QB, I think we have gotten too spoiled with having an overall good team. It's whatever now, the decision is in the hands of the FO.

chris98251

Reaction score
Anthony!":2er8ac8q said:
chris98251":2er8ac8q said:

This is what have you done for me lately league. What was Russell's last pass, he is a 3rd round pick that made good and could be argued the system he is in makes his percentage elevated because it dictates safe plays, his yardage and attempts isn't up where the elite QB's are. He is supported by the best back in the league, he has the best defense in the league so isn't asked to carry a team. He has fundamental flaws in his game and needs to see the field better and hit his secondary receivers and learn to throw them open.

What have you done for me lately well you historic defense gave up a 10 point lead with under 10 minutes in the game. HMM As to the rest of your post well its wrong.

Oh mighty Oracle , what is wrong with the rest of the post, prove to me he can gun sling it and carry a team and lead in yardage,completions, for a whole season. Prove to me he knows how to throw guys open, find his secondary and backside receivers regulary. Prove to me that Pete allows him to audible out of a bad play selection such as the last play of the Super Bowl where he threw a interception, prove to me that having Lynch in the backfield doesn't make teams hesitate and contain him versus all out blitz's which Russell needs to learn to make teams pay for consistently.

3 yrs in the league, average career is 4 for a NFL player, he's a senior citizen by NFL standards for his draft position. The training session is over, he needs to step up to the refined level of QB now.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":3nsp516b said:
Remember before 2011 we all wished we had a franchised QB, I think we have gotten too spoiled with having an overall good team. It's whatever now, the decision is in the hands of the FO.
Yea. I just hope the FO doesn't mishandled this. So many good players on this team with contracts coming due the fact is we are going to lose some good talent. There are teams out there planning to make a run at guys like Wilson maybe 3-4 years down the road because he has such a unique skillset and high football iq.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
chris98251":1xft9urb said:
Anthony!":1xft9urb said:
chris98251":1xft9urb said:

Oh mighty Oracle , what is wrong with the rest of the post, prove to me he can gun sling it and carry a team and lead in yardage,completions, for a whole season. Prove to me he knows how to throw guys open, find his secondary and backside receivers regulary. Prove to me that Pete allows him to audible out of a bad play selection such as the last play of the Super Bowl where he threw a interception, prove to me that having Lynch in the backfield doesn't make teams hesitate and contain him versus all out blitz's which Russell needs to learn to make teams pay for consistently.

3 yrs in the league, average career is 4 for a NFL player, he's a senior citizen by NFL standards for his draft position. The training session is over, he needs to step up to the refined level of QB now.
That play was explained by the coaches and players as well as commented on by the opposing team. Blame it on Wilson if you must but was a play that had a high chance of success but resulted in a fluke interception because Browner was familiar with that play and because Ricardo Lockette wasn't.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
chris98251":5dvwxhzi said:
Anthony!":5dvwxhzi said:
chris98251":5dvwxhzi said:

Given Lynch's stats he is arguably the 3rd best back in the league. On top of that he has one of the worst backs in the league that will cause him to sit out plays. Remember those games when our wussy replacement rb came in to average similar ypc.
Lynch runs with attitude but don't tell me he isn't supported by THE BEST running/scrambling qb in the game.

chris98251

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":vfdaeq03 said:
chris98251":vfdaeq03 said:
Anthony!":vfdaeq03 said:
chris98251":vfdaeq03 said:

Given Lynch's stats he is arguably the 3rd best back in the league. On top of that he has one of the worst backs in the league that will cause him to sit out plays. Remember those games when our wussy replacement rb came in to average similar ypc.
Lynch runs with attitude but don't tell me he isn't supported by THE BEST running/scrambling qb in the game.

Using that arguement Mo Morris was a better back then Alexander...........................

Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste

chris98251

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":1cjl071r said:
chris98251":1cjl071r said:
Anthony!":1cjl071r said:
chris98251":1cjl071r said:

That play was explained by the coaches and players as well as commented on by the opposing team. Blame it on Wilson if you must but was a play that had a high chance of success but resulted in a fluke interception because Browner was familiar with that play and because Ricardo Lockette wasn't.

You beleive everything you read? Pete was standing up for Bevell, he does that, where others like Bevell and Mora throw players under the bus, it was a bad play call !

I've been around for a long, long year
Stole many a man's soul to waste

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
chris98251":38tidcf0 said:
Russ Willstrong":38tidcf0 said:
chris98251":38tidcf0 said:
Anthony!":38tidcf0 said:

You beleive everything you read? Pete was standing up for Bevell, he does that, where others like Bevell and Mora throw players under the bus, it was a bad play call !
Stupid assumption on your behalf. I don't believe everything I read but what the players and coaches say VALIDATE my perception of what happened. After that interception happened I re watched it and immediately posted that I thought Lockette half - assed his route thinking it was a walk in td. It looked like it. But knowing now that Browner and the patriots were prepared for that play it made sense.
The trick to understanding is you have to pay attention to what's going on is all.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":1cf3yvj8 said:
theincrediblesok":1cf3yvj8 said:
Yea. I just hope the FO doesn't mishandled this. So many good players on this team with contracts coming due the fact is we are going to lose some good talent. There are teams out there planning to make a run at guys like Wilson maybe 3-4 years down the road because he has such a unique skillset and high football iq.

I look at it this way. Worst case scenario, we have Russell for three more years (final contract year and two franchise tag years). Best case scenario, he's here for another 10 years and goes into the Hall a Hawk with multiple rings.

Like I've said, I can't think of one contract situation where the player wanted to be in a city, and the team wanted him just as much............and something wasn't worked out. So unless one side isn't being honest, I have faith this will get done.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Wilson took all the blame, Pete covered Bevell and knew the play. Bevell claims it was his decision and put Ricardo under the bus. Anyone know if Ricardo took responsibility for what had happened?

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
chris98251":1yzjrdui said:
Russ Willstrong":1yzjrdui said:
chris98251":1yzjrdui said:
Anthony!":1yzjrdui said:

Using that arguement Mo Morris was a better back then Alexander...........................

Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
Using that argument is what led to thinking that Wilson isn't a top qb or deserving of elite money. Stats don't do our offense justice because we are a conservative offense yet produce the most number of explosive plays. RW accounts for far more explosive plays than Lynch if you want to talk stats.

chris98251

Reaction score
Stupid assumption on your behalf. I don't believe everything I read but what the players and coaches say VALIDATE my perception of what happened. After that interception happened I re watched it and immediately posted that I thought Lockette half - assed his route thinking it was a walk in td. It looked like it. But knowing now that Browner and the patriots were prepared for that play it made sense.
The trick to understanding is you have to pay attention to what's going on is all.

The play was all or nothing and lots of bad could happen with no options out of it.

Bad call, no options, one good thing could happen, lots of bad can and did happen, incompletion, interception, fumble right in the most congested part of the field.

The rest of the board must be equally as stupid (was that a personnal attack) as well since a majority agree with my assessment.

And I was 'round when Jesus Christ
Had his moment of doubt and pain

Anthony!

Reaction score
Rob12":lcwbdl3r said:
Anthony!":lcwbdl3r said:
chris98251":lcwbdl3r said:

I think the fact that you say these things about our defense is laughable. Never in the history of this league has the rule book been more slanted towards helping offenses score a lot of points and pile up a massive amount of yards. Yet, you parrot this line about the defense every chance you get - a defense that, yes, IS ABSOLUTELY historically great and elite. What they've accomplished over the past three seasons is nothing short of pure dominance.

They gave up a lead to arguably the best QB ever. They were also severely banged up. Lane got hurt bad. Earl was badly hurt, as was Sherman. Chancellor was essentially playing on one leg. Avril was knocked out with a concussion. But you continue to ignore all of that because it supports your stance.

I'm not attacking you here - but really, are you a Seattle Seahawks fan or a RW fan? It seems you have no issue with throwing others under the bus in order to defend him. And I get that to a point, because I love RW too. But come on, man. Our defense did enough, as crippled as it was. We should have won another Lombardi. But a garbage play call and a bit of an errant pass did us in.

Its not saying these things they are facts., I find it interesting you guys have no problem with down grading Wilson, but heaven forbid some ones says Lynch is only top 5 or the defense has lost games. Just because our defense is great doe snot mean they are immune from mistakes or being talked about when they make them. You want to give them a free pass for giving up a 10 point lead with under 10 minutes fine, I do not. Just like I did not give Wilson a pass for the SD game were he was horrible. Injuries are part of the game, Wilson was handcuffed by a horrible play call, and yet you still want to make sure he gets blamed too. But not the defense nope they get a pass, I presume they get a pass for the Atlanta game too right? I think the defense is great too but they are not perfect and they have cost us games, just like Lynch has, WIlson has, SY has and pretty much everyone on the team that actually plays has.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Just a quick summary for everyone on where we're at:

Reports are RW camp want 5 years $100MM
Reports are Seahawks Camp want 5 years $80MM

When looking at the figures, you can't look at the current contract. It is ALL about NEW money APY!

Aaron Rodgers got $22 APY in new money. He sets the benchmark as he is far and away the best QB in the league. Ben got 21.8 APY.

Let's be frank about something. There is NO way the club loses RW within the next 3 years. A club isn't going to jump at giving a player a 5 year contract for $25MM APY when they can control him with the franchise tag for 3 years at $16MM.

The Seahawks are basically willing to give the kid $20MM per year in new money- 4x$20MM= $80MM but we still get to keep the current year contract. Even if they were to "give" and make RW the highest paid player at $22.1 APY they would land on 5 years for $88.4MM, Russell Wilson's Camp reportedly wants him to earn $100MM which is $25 APY in new money which is about 2.5MM more per year than Rodgers makes.

You can see why this has come to where it has... The Seahawks have the leverage based on the fact that they can let him play out his rookie contract, then tag him for two more year and only pay him an Average APY of $16MM. That is $48MM over 3 years if we use the franchise tag versus what Wilson reportedly wants which is $75MM over 3 years (25MM in new APY money). You can see why the Seahawks are in no rush to agree to those terms. That's nearly $27MM difference over just a 3 year period to get another 2 years out of him WHILE still paying the $25MM base the next two seasons.

It sounds like Russell isn't going to be happy short of being the highest paid player in the NFL, which let's be honest he's not. He's excellent. He's Elite. But he's not even close to Aaron Rodgers...not by a bit.

From an objective viewpoint, this is how I think the contract should be structured. Pay him $21.8MM per year in APY- just below Rodgers for 4 years, with the 5th year being built in for a total of just under $88MM for 5 years.

Everyone thinks Russell has the leverage, but he really doesn't. The Seahawks do by far with the trump card called the Franchise tag.

My guess is Russell plays out this year at $750K and they would no longer have the figure to disagree about thus making him the highest paid player would be fine. I'll pay him 5 years $100MM AFTER this season, but to do that and rip up the current contract doesn't make sense.

Report: SEA unwilling to give Wilson $20M-plus
Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports it's "highly unlikely" the Seahawks will extend contract-year QB Russell Wilson's deal this year.
Wilson is said to be seeking in excess of $20 million annually on a five-year extension. Per Cole, the Seahawks "have no desire to get anywhere close to that" and are willing to let him play out the final year of his rookie contract and then use the franchise tag back-to-back years through 2017. That would net Wilson around $45-48 million over the next three years. Recent reports have suggested the two sides are "10s of millions" apart in contract talks. Cole's report seconds that.

This is as expected because Russell essentially wants the Seahawks to tear up the old contract and not even consider the ELC. Seahawks could make Russell the Highest paid QB in the NFL at $22.1 MM per year and the contract would still come out as less than $20MM per year because of the $20MM in the report above.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Anthony!":6ykgom2y said:
well first it appears Wilson is looking for 20 mil a year for 5 and the Hawks do not want to come close to that.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2465 ... e-seahawks

So more fuel for the fire

Read my edit in the bottom. Seahawks are willing to pay Wilson MORE than $20MM per year in new money, but not willing to rip that last year for nothing. Like I said, they could pay him more than Rodgers makes ($22.1) and the total APY on a 5 year deal would be less than $20MM because of 2015-2016 contract.