Earl Wants To Be Highest Paid Safety in NFL

Seymour

Reaction score
getnasty":35bths71 said:
Sgt. Largent":35bths71 said:
toffee":35bths71 said:
SoulfishHawk":35bths71 said:
Sorry Earl, guess they are not "coming to get you" after all :lol:

Nothing wrong with wanting to be the highest paid safety in nfl, especially when one has hungry babies to feed. It's how Earl went about his quest that has been eye opening, he has done everything to devalue himself. Who's his agent and publicist? Oh got it, Earl was his own publicist.

Make no mistake, Earl's on field prowess's worthy of being the highest paid FS.

Pro sports is the greatest meritocracy in the world...........if Earl was perfectly healthy team's wouldn't care about his antics.

So it's not his attitude or antics that has devalued him, it's his injuries. Plain and simple.

Agreed, and there aren't to many people that wouldn't be pissed if they were in Earls shoes. Of course i wish he wouldnt have flipped anyone off but i understand where hes coming from.

OK. Lets give you that one. Where was he "coming from" here after we just beat the Cowboys and Earl made a Bline to the wrong locker room? #traitor

Ks career ends will earl thomas be next to leave 3

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":3gr89jgr said:
OK. Lets give you that one. Where was he "coming from" here after we just beat the Cowboys and Earl made a Bline to the wrong locker room? #traitor

I've said before, and this goes for many players (Sherman, Lynch), their biggest assets as players (grit, anger, chip on their shoulder, passion and emotion) can also be their biggest enemy when it comes to the business or personal relations side of their sport.

Earl saw the writing on the wall that the Hawk's FO wasn't going to extend him, and he became overly emotional and took it personally.........thus the Cowboy's locker room fiasco and flipping off the Hawks.

We pay these maturity stunted athletes that have been coddled and given just about everything they want their entire sports careers............then expect them to behave maturely and rationally when things don't go their way.

Some can handle it, some can't. Earl fits into the latter category. Doesn't make him a bad dude, or even a traitor for me. Just tells me he's a spoiled immature person.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3iedzob2 said:
I've said before, and this goes for many players (Sherman, Lynch), their biggest assets as players (grit, anger, chip on their shoulder, passion and emotion) can also be their biggest enemy when it comes to the business or personal relations side of their sport.

Earl saw the writing on the wall that the Hawk's FO wasn't going to extend him, and he became overly emotional and took it personally.........thus the Cowboy's locker room fiasco and flipping off the Hawks.

We pay these maturity stunted athletes that have been coddled and given just about everything they want their entire sports careers............then expect them to behave maturely and rationally when things don't go their way.

Some can handle it, some can't. Earl fits into the latter category. Doesn't make him a bad dude, or even a traitor for me. Just tells me he's a spoiled immature person.

Pretty much fits the definition to a T IMO. The rest of his team was celebrating a nice W while he was thinking entirely of #1 (#29).

trai·tor
Dictionary result for traitor
/ˈtrādər/
noun
noun: traitor; plural noun: traitors

a person who betrays a friend, country, principle, etc.
"they see me as a traitor, a sellout to the enemy"

synonyms: betrayer, back-stabber, double-crosser, double-dealer, renegade, Judas, quisling, fifth columnist, viper; turncoat, defector, apostate, deserter;
collaborator, fraternizer, colluder, informer, double agent;
informalsnake in the grass, two-timer, rat, scab;
raretraditor, tergiversator, renegado
"he was tried in a military court as a traitor"

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":7vqls075 said:
Sgt. Largent":7vqls075 said:

Pretty much fits the definition to a T IMO. The rest of his team was celebrating a nice W while he was thinking entirely of #1 (#29).

trai·tor
/ˈtrādər/
noun

synonyms: betrayer, back-stabber, double-crosser, double-dealer, renegade, Judas, quisling, fifth columnist, viper; turncoat, defector, apostate, deserter;

Lol, thanks for explaining what traitor means.....................not one of Earl's teammates said they had a problem with what Earl did.

So yeah, traitor is not the right word. He didn't betray anyone, he actually played a great game and helped his team win.

Immature? Spoiled? Emotionally unhinged? Delusional? Rash? Lots of words to describe what happened, but betrayal or traitor isn't one of them.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":bvwsc10w said:
Seymour":bvwsc10w said:
Sgt. Largent":bvwsc10w said:

trai·tor
/ˈtrādər/
noun

Lol, thanks for explaining what traitor means.....................not one of Earl's teammates said they had a problem with what Earl did.

So yeah, traitor is not the right word. He didn't betray anyone, he actually played a great game and helped his team win.

Immature? Spoiled? Emotionally unhinged? Delusional? Rash? Lots of words to describe what happened, but betrayal or traitor isn't one of them.

Well there is "solid proof" LMAO. Of course they didn't! Calling out your teammate breaks Pete's #1 Rule!!

Another lesson time....

The three rules are: 1. Always protect the team. 2. No whining, no complaining, no excuses. 3. Be early.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":1kprt0ph said:
The three rules are: 1. Always protect the team. 2. No whining, no complaining, no excuses. 3. Be early.

Welcome to 2019, let me show you around..........you must have have just stepped out of a time machine from the 50's.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":o1vuscf4 said:
Seymour":o1vuscf4 said:

Welcome to 2019, let me show you around..........you must have have just stepped out of a time machine from the 50's.

Educate yourself on who is coaching your team.... :roll:
Now you know why Bennett is gone even though he was a relative bargain and never even saw the first year of his new deal.

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle...te-carrolls-no-1-rule-makes-sense-in-the.html

Seattle Seahawks Coach Pete Carroll has three simple rules for team success. And the record of his Super Bowl Champion team shows he's got a winning formula.

I love all three rules, but let's focus on his first one. It may be a more obvious concept for football, but it's important in every workplace. I have some ideas about how you can protect your workplace team.

Atradees

Reaction score
The guys on 720 this morning were talking about Earle wanting 15 mil per. Delusional.

massari

Reaction score
"Sources said Earl Thomas is seeking $13M per year, or more, despite his recent injury history, and he is expected to get darn close to it, if not with the Cowboys then with someone else.

The Texans badly want to keep Tyrann Mathieu, but the Bucs and Ravens have serious interest, I'm told, among others, and he could land $24M in the first two years of a deal.

Collins will likely come in under that, and Adrian Amos of the Bears is well positioned to round out that top tier of safeties, with a market that could come in around $9M-$10M per year.
" https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2019 ... der-notes/

toffee

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1d53li66 said:
Seymour":1d53li66 said:
Sgt. Largent":1d53li66 said:

trai·tor
/ˈtrādər/
noun

Mr. Allen probably wouldn't agree, same for our GM, and our HC.

getnasty

Reaction score
No question Earl is a different dude and probably doesn't go about everything in the right way but he brings it every Sunday.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
getnasty":nt5829ov said:
Sgt. Largent":nt5829ov said:
toffee":nt5829ov said:
SoulfishHawk":nt5829ov said:
Sorry Earl, guess they are not "coming to get you" after all :lol:

Nothing wrong with wanting to be the highest paid safety in nfl, especially when one has hungry babies to feed. It's how Earl went about his quest that has been eye opening, he has done everything to devalue himself. Who's his agent and publicist? Oh got it, Earl was his own publicist.

Make no mistake, Earl's on field prowess's worthy of being the highest paid FS.

Pro sports is the greatest meritocracy in the world...........if Earl was perfectly healthy team's wouldn't care about his antics.

So it's not his attitude or antics that has devalued him, it's his injuries. Plain and simple.

Agreed, and there aren't to many people that wouldn't be pissed if they were in Earls shoes. Of course i wish he wouldnt have flipped anyone off but i understand where hes coming from.

Earl bought the shoes he is in. He could have signed a mutually beneficial contract and been in a more secure position. Instead, he gambled and lost. I feel bad for him being injured, but don't feel bad at all for him for the position he is in now.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JustTheTip":14umay4x said:
Earl bought the shoes he is in. He could have signed a mutually beneficial contract and been in a more secure position. Instead, he gambled and lost. I feel bad for him being injured, but don't feel bad at all for him for the position he is in now.

I also think there's some internal animosity from Pete and John's side with Earl going against the team's recommendation to have surgery on his broken leg the first time it happened, and instead just allowing it to heal naturally.........which may or may not have led to it breaking again.

Not a unique situation by any means, players do their own thing all the time with injuries and rehab. But my hunch is this was one of the first straws that broke the Earl Thomas possible extension back.

knownone

Reaction score
I feel like we should hold off on lambasting Earl's contract demands until we know what he actually gets.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":32e9uxhg said:
Seymour":32e9uxhg said:

Money post! :2thumbs:
Your last paragraph nailed it!

toffee

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1r7m7pcy said:
JustTheTip":1r7m7pcy said:

I also think there's some internal animosity from Pete and John's side with Earl going against the team's recommendation to have surgery on his broken leg the first time it happened, and instead just allowing it to heal naturally.........which may or may not have led to it breaking again.

Not a unique situation by any means, players do their own thing all the time with injuries and rehab. But my hunch is this was one of the first straws that broke the Earl Thomas possible extension back.

My thought exactly, when the stake was so high, very risk got magnified. Am I glad that we have John and Pete running the show. Whoever advised Earl on his surgery, on his "come get me", on his holding out, on his finger, the dude is costing Earl lots of $$$$$$.

zetes

Reaction score
Landon Collins is getting an avg of 14M a season for 6 seasons. If Earl is an All-Pro still and a future HOF player then he may well get 14 or 15M a year for a shorter contract (3 to 4 years). I know he is done with the Seahawks and that may be for a bunch of reasons but he will most likely get paid if he is in fact fully healthy. We will see soon.
Z.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
zetes":gggx7rjv said:
Landon Collins is getting an avg of 14M a season for 6 seasons. If Earl is an All-Pro still and a future HOF player then he may well get 14 or 15M a year for a shorter contract (3 to 4 years). I know he is done with the Seahawks and that may be for a bunch of reasons but he will most likely get paid if he is in fact fully healthy. We will see soon.
Z.

yeah I pretty much take back everything I've said in this thread. Earl's gonna get 15M+, either on a short two year fully guaranteed deal............or it'll be multiple teams involved and he gets a crazy 4-5 year deal with more guaranteed than Collins.

Every year I foolishly expect free agency to come back down to earth. But it just gets crazier and crazier.