Earl Wants To Be Highest Paid Safety in NFL

zetes

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":lpdnvtqg said:
zetes":lpdnvtqg said:
Landon Collins is getting an avg of 14M a season for 6 seasons. If Earl is an All-Pro still and a future HOF player then he may well get 14 or 15M a year for a shorter contract (3 to 4 years). I know he is done with the Seahawks and that may be for a bunch of reasons but he will most likely get paid if he is in fact fully healthy. We will see soon.
Z.

yeah I pretty much take back everything I've said in this thread. Earl's gonna get 15M+, either on a short two year fully guaranteed deal............or it'll be multiple teams involved and he gets a crazy 4-5 year deal with more guaranteed than Collins.

Every year I foolishly expect free agency to come back down to earth. But it just gets crazier and crazier.

It just goes to show that the more money NFL teams spend -- the more money they make and then the more money they spend again the next year. It will only stop when revenues take a hit (if it ever happens).

Z.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The $ going out right now is beyond ridiculous. Makes me glad the Hawks wait for the 2nd wave. So many guys getting WAY too much coin.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2yofwolf said:
The $ going out right now is beyond ridiculous. Makes me glad the Hawks wait for the 2nd wave. So many guys getting WAY too much coin.
Yes sir..That is absolutely true,

Chapow

Reaction score
The salary cap keeps going up. If I'm remembering correctly, 2019 is the 6th straight year that the cap has increased by at least $10 million, and it's increased 40% since 2014.

Not saying these contracts are reasonable or make sense, but teams have a lot more to spend on players than they did even 5-6 years ago.

Plus, there are umpteen ways to manipulate a players cap hit if a team wants to or needs to.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Safeties are being signed to huge contacts yet I've read nothing about teams' interest in Earl. Looks like he could be in the 2nd wave of safety signings.

Poor Earl.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, poor Earl has it so rough. He may have to "settle" for 10 mil. I'm sure he'll get his money, seems more important to him than anything these days. Can't blame him for wanting to get his, but the victim stuff, the middle finger etc. was lame.

Seymour

Reaction score
Look like it's Mac n cheese for Earls family until that next deal gets signed. :roll:

Earl-Thomas-III-Lamborghini-Murcielago.png

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt, not sure how his family will survive on his low wages. The world would crumble to the ground if they "disrespect" him by paying him less than 14 mil a year :roll:

Chapow

Reaction score
Has Earl ever actually made an "I got kids to feed" type comment?

Not calling anyone out or anything, I'm just asking because I don't remember hearing anything like that from Earl and it seems like some here are going to some pretty disingenuous lengths to vilify him.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Earl is one of my favorite Seahawks of all time. He's a different dude, but that's part of what makes him who he is as a player.

He's not going to be the highest paid safety. The safety market is stacked and how many games has Earl played in the last 3 season? 29 out of a possible 48.. And never completed a season since 2015.. You add to the fact that he held out, and fingered his other team who is a respected organization on the way out.. I think you'll see the Earl market softer than he hoped. Earl wrote the book on how to devalue yourself heading into UFA. Guys who hold out in training camp but then report are so much more likely to injure.

The best case scenario for Seahawks fans is that he gets his 15M but over a short term deal thus to increase our comp picks. He's not getting a landon Collins deal, that's for sure.

Seymour

Reaction score
Chapow":2dxp5wne said:

Not calling anyone out or anything, I'm just asking because I don't remember hearing anything like that from Earl and it seems like some here are going to some pretty disingenuous lengths to vilify him.

Someone posted a quote a few months back saying just that about "feeding the family" in another thread. I'm not looking it up though.

knownone

Reaction score
Will Blackmon was just on 710 and essentially said Earl might want to return to Seattle. I don’t know how much merit we can put into that, but he is a former teammate.

BubbaGump

Reaction score
I was wondering if the Hawks would be an option again with the market drying up. I would not be surprised if this information by Blackmon is true. I think he ends up in San Fran though.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Chapow":3n65zogh said:

No.

When explaining why he was holding out he said he wanted a long term committment from the team, and ultimately his loyalty was to himself and his family.

I don't remember the exact wording but it wasn't anything like an "I've got kids to feed" logic or rationale.

People did re- or misinterpret it that way though, I'd guess either because they were pissed he was holding it out and it made it easier to villify him, or because they didn't really catch what he said. (IIRC it was in an interview and it came out a little convoluted, but he hit on the same thing in a Player's Tribune piece soon after).

lukerguy

Reaction score
All of the top 20 UFAs are signed, except for Earl. What do you think that says about the situation?

Chapow

Reaction score
Popeyejones":lkjnu0z8 said:
Chapow":lkjnu0z8 said:

No.

When explaining why he was holding out he said he wanted a long term committment from the team, and ultimately his loyalty was to himself and his family.

I don't remember the exact wording but it wasn't anything like an "I've got kids to feed" logic or rationale.

People did re- or misinterpret it that way though, I'd guess either because they were pissed he was holding it out and it made it easier to villify him, or because they didn't really catch what he said. (IIRC it was in an interview and it came out a little convoluted, but he hit on the same thing in a Player's Tribune piece soon after).

Thank you.

I remember that comment though I didn't remember people twisting that into an "I got kids to feed" type comment. It's too bad people feel the need to do that because that clearly isn't what he meant.

sutz

Reaction score
Chapow":bly44hhh said:
Popeyejones":bly44hhh said:
Chapow":bly44hhh said:

No.

Thank you.

I remember that comment though I didn't remember people twisting that into an "I got kids to feed" type comment. It's too bad people feel the need to do that because that clearly isn't what he meant.
Regardless, is demanding to be the "highest paid player" at his position after two serious injuries and some questionable actions regarding team spirit really negotiating in good faith?

I don't think so, but that's just my opinion. :229031_shrug:

jmahon316

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1105864566473396225[/tweet]

Well there it is folks

Seymour

Reaction score
Sweet!!! Some costco hot dogs to go with the mac-n-cheese!!! :2thumbs:

:lol: :lol:

Chapow

Reaction score
sutz":win76zsf said:
Chapow":win76zsf said:
Popeyejones":win76zsf said:
Chapow":win76zsf said:

No.

Thank you.

Regardless, is demanding to be the "highest paid player" at his position after two serious injuries and some questionable actions regarding team spirit really negotiating in good faith?

I don't think so, but that's just my opinion. :229031_shrug:

I don't see how what I was talking about has anything to do with what you are now talking about.

I was simply curious why people keep making comments implying Earl has played the "I got kids to feed" card because I didn't remember him ever saying anything like that.

Turns out that it looks like people are just doing that to vilify him even though he never said that or anything like that. Which is a shame, but ultimately unsurprising.