Rumor: RW asking to be the highest paid player in history

OP
OP
jblaze

jblaze

Reaction score
Gotta love it when a thread devolves into two people arguing back and forth. Take it to PM's, we're trying to have a discussion here!

:pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface:

chris98251

Reaction score
jblaze":1yui6bdo said:
Gotta love it when a thread devolves into two people arguing back and forth. Take it to PM's, we're trying to have a discussion here!

:pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface: :pukeface:

Discussion of a topic from different perspectives, is argueing !

Killed the Tsar and his ministers
Anastasia screamed in vain

lukerguy

Reaction score
Anthony!":3jrku5eh said:
lukerguy":3jrku5eh said:
Just a quick summary for everyone on where we're at:

Reports are RW camp want 5 years $100MM
Reports are Seahawks Camp want 5 years $80MM

When looking at the figures, you can't look at the current contract. It is ALL about NEW money APY!

Aaron Rodgers got $22 APY in new money. He sets the benchmark as he is far and away the best QB in the league. Ben got 21.8 APY.

Let's be frank about something. There is NO way the club loses RW within the next 3 years. A club isn't going to jump at giving a player a 5 year contract for $25MM APY when they can control him with the franchise tag for 3 years at $16MM.

The Seahawks are basically willing to give the kid $20MM per year in new money- 4x$20MM= $80MM but we still get to keep the current year contract. Even if they were to "give" and make RW the highest paid player at $22.1 APY they would land on 5 years for $88.4MM, Russell Wilson's Camp reportedly wants him to earn $100MM which is $25 APY in new money which is about 2.5MM more per year than Rodgers makes.

You can see why this has come to where it has... The Seahawks have the leverage based on the fact that they can let him play out his rookie contract, then tag him for two more year and only pay him an Average APY of $16MM. That is $48MM over 3 years if we use the franchise tag versus what Wilson reportedly wants which is $75MM over 3 years (25MM in new APY money). You can see why the Seahawks are in no rush to agree to those terms. That's nearly $27MM difference over just a 3 year period to get another 2 years out of him WHILE still paying the $25MM base the next two seasons.

It sounds like Russell isn't going to be happy short of being the highest paid player in the NFL, which let's be honest he's not. He's excellent. He's Elite. But he's not even close to Aaron Rodgers...not by a bit.

From an objective viewpoint, this is how I think the contract should be structured. Pay him $21.8MM per year in APY- just below Rodgers for 4 years, with the 5th year being built in for a total of just under $88MM for 5 years.

Everyone thinks Russell has the leverage, but he really doesn't. The Seahawks do by far with the trump card called the Franchise tag.

My guess is Russell plays out this year at $750K and they would no longer have the figure to disagree about thus making him the highest paid player would be fine. I'll pay him 5 years $100MM AFTER this season, but to do that and rip up the current contract doesn't make sense.

Report: SEA unwilling to give Wilson $20M-plus
Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports it's "highly unlikely" the Seahawks will extend contract-year QB Russell Wilson's deal this year.
Wilson is said to be seeking in excess of $20 million annually on a five-year extension. Per Cole, the Seahawks "have no desire to get anywhere close to that" and are willing to let him play out the final year of his rookie contract and then use the franchise tag back-to-back years through 2017. That would net Wilson around $45-48 million over the next three years. Recent reports have suggested the two sides are "10s of millions" apart in contract talks. Cole's report seconds that.

This is as expected because Russell essentially wants the Seahawks to tear up the old contract and not even consider the ELC. Seahawks could make Russell the Highest paid QB in the NFL at $22.1 MM per year and the contract would still come out as less than $20MM per year because of the $20MM in the report above.

wow I think your numbers are off. Wilson wants a 5 years ext at 100 mil or 20 mil a year, Then you add in his current year which is 1 mil that makes it 6 years at 101 mil or 16.8 mil. What this breaks down to is years and FYI the Hawks do not want to pay him 20 mil a year. You are thinking ripping u p his current deal but you said and what was said on line was extension. That means the current seal stays and you add to it, NOT redo it. "Wilson is said to be seeking in excess of $20 million annually on a five-year extension" Extension not redo so it would be 6 years 101 mil or 16.8 per year. not 22-25

My Numbers aren't off. Yeah he wants 5 years at $100MM which is $25MM in NEW money APY (4 years at 25M+ 1 year left at 750K). The league works in NEW money even though the contracts show up different.

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
It's business. The media is bored and makes a big deal out of every little tweet and thing anyone on the team says or does. They aren't as far apart as some would have you believe.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
fire_marshall_bill":d1dvtxf8 said:
It's business. The media is bored and makes a big deal out of every little tweet and thing anyone on the team says or does. They aren't as far apart as some would have you believe.

What makes you say this?

Sure the media loves to run with rumors, but for the most part when you hear a player is close to signing, it usually comes to fruition.

Agents, players and front offices are as media savvy as they've ever been, if we're hearing the two sides are far apart I tend to believe it.

chris98251

Reaction score
So how long is Pete going to coach and we run this offense, saying this because of Petes age, if we change Coaches and OC's do the Seahawks think that Wilson can adapt to another system.

I can think of one currently that he could step into and may be successful, New Orleans. Any 3 step systems or traditional drop back systems he could have struggles with if they don't tweek it to his strengths.

Saying all that do they want a shorter contract as not to be on the hook for money that will be owed if pete retires and we need to change a few things?

I rode a tank
Held a general's rank

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":2rsd8fsi said:
The exciting part is we might actually find out after this year because according to Russell's tweets negotiation must not be going well, which means he could be playing somewhere else in 2016. Franchise or not some team will go and get him. The FO has franchised only one player in the Pete Carroll era and that was Kicker Olindo Mare. But this FO is classy enough that I believe they will let him test free agency rather than try and hold him hostage.

As I've stated before I would love for Wilson to go to a pass heavy team, staying here he is overshadowed by Lynch and the defense. Wilson will not get the recognition he truly deserve unless he goes to a team and turn them around.

If Wilson plays out of his mind this coming up season don't be mad if he still decides to play somewhere else.
There is an exclusive franchise tag they can use on him where no other team can get him. They can use it for at least 3 years, but the 3rd year is an exorbitant amount. So if he doesn't sign this, he plays this year (2015) under the old contract at 1.5 million, and then will get the exclusive franchise tag for 2 years after that. So he'll be here at least 3 more years minimum. IMHO his agent is costing him money, if a new deal doesn't get done before the 2015 season starts.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":3rzc2w9p said:
So how long is Pete going to coach and we run this offense, saying this because of Petes age, if we change Coaches and OC's do the Seahawks think that Wilson can adapt to another system.

I can think of one currently that he could step into and may be successful, New Orleans. Any 3 step systems or traditional drop back systems he could have struggles with if they don't tweek it to his strengths.

Saying all that do they want a shorter contract as not to be on the hook for money that will be owed if pete retires and we need to change a few things?

I rode a tank
Held a general's rank

I remember watching Wilson with Jon Gruden before the 2012 draft and the one thing that really impressed me was how fast he picked up Wisconsin offense after arriving there. Between that and how fast he progressed between being drafted and the preseason games I feel confident there isn't a system he couldn't run.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Basis4day":109apoxr said:
http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2015/05/15/league-source-report-russell-wilson-seahawks-are-so-far-apart-new-deal-may-not-got-done-before-season-is-almost-entirely-fictitious/

I'm gonna start laughing if after the end of all this big hoopla, Wilson signs for a long term contract reasonable team friendly deal and it's taking so long because he and John are actually working the details involving the salary cap rising each year and who they might be targeting and or extending. I believe that John likes to plan ahead for the next 4 years. No one knows what's really going on with the contract extension. Like John had stated before that they will be doing something outside of the box, maybe that's why it's taking a bit.

I remember the times when the Seahawks didn't get this much media coverage, I wish we had that invisibility back.

BadgerVid

Reaction score
If the stories and numbers coming out are even near true, it would appear that PC/JS just don't feel he is worth it.

If they cannot structure a contract that would pay him the $20M (not the highest pay of any QB) that he reportedly wants and that would have better cap consequences (5 year amortized signing bonus and back-loaded salaries for example) in '16 & '17 than franchising then they are not nearly as smart as I give them credit for being.

If they are telling him he is not worth it, we had better hope they can locate a young QB to take over and do as well cheap or (at least it appears to me) the cap hit for an exclusive franchise QB tag in '16 WILL handcuff the team.

Meanwhile, though, it is certainly in his best interest to not sign now and play his best ball ever in '15 (and '16 if the 'Hawks really want to take the $20M+ cap hit franchising would entail that soon) in order to get the bidding going for his services after that.

One other thing I don't hear mentioned is the potential for the franchise tag to increase dramatically in '16 if some of the other top QBs (for example Rivers, Brees, Luck) coming due sign new high dollar deals.

JMO/YMMV

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":1pm0jywm said:
Basis4day":1pm0jywm said:
http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2015/05/15/league-source-report-russell-wilson-seahawks-are-so-far-apart-new-deal-may-not-got-done-before-season-is-almost-entirely-fictitious/

I'm gonna start laughing if after the end of all this big hoopla, Wilson signs for a long term contract reasonable team friendly deal and it's taking so long because he and John are actually working the details involving the salary cap rising each year and who they might be targeting and or extending. I believe that John likes to plan ahead for the next 4 years. No one knows what's really going on with the contract extension. Like John had stated before that they will be doing something outside of the box, maybe that's why it's taking a bit.

I remember the times when the Seahawks didn't get this much media coverage, I wish we had that invisibility back.
We can, all we have to do is not extend Wilson. I prefer a little drama over irrelevance. YMMV