Earl Wants To Be Highest Paid Safety in NFL

Seymour

Reaction score
Whether Thomas said "feed" his family, or "take care" of his family is irrelevant....each is equally disingenuous IMO.

Does this look like a family investment? Nope....all about #1.

Earl-Thomas-Lamborghini-Aventador.jpg

Chapow

Reaction score
Seymour":vzsng5ia said:
Whether Thomas said "feed" his family, or "take care" of his family is irrelevant....each is equally disingenuous IMO.

What you are doing, repeatedly, is far more disingenuous than a player stating that their loyalty is to their family.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
FWIW, I looked it up and the exact quote was:

"I just gotta protect myself. At the end of the day, me and my family, that's the first thing."

Then because we're all the worst we got in argument about what the word "protect" means in this sentence. :lol:

Popeyejones":1lfxaokv said:
hawk45":1lfxaokv said:
"Me and my family come first" <> "I have to protect my family" IMO. The former is easily interpreted as a desire to maximize income for his family and is disconnected from any notion that his family is in jeopardy. The latter is quite firmly suggestive that there is some jeopardy to his family if his pile of gold isn't as large as it could be.

The implicit jeopardy is what people react to negatively. Both the "feed" formulation and the "protect" formulation center on jeopardy.

I think you framed the "protect" statement in a way more friendly to your argument, but IMO the court should uphold a ruling of semantics here :)

:lol: :lol:

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Just as a point of clarification, he never said "protect my family". His exact quote which is being misquoted was:

"I just gotta protect myself. At the end of the day, me and my family, that's the first thing."

And you're right that I really don't read "protect" in that sentence as implying the "imminent danger" usage of the word. He's not saying he's in imminent danger.

Rather, he's talking about a contract, and "protect" is being used in the contractual sense of the word (i.e. a contract "protecting" both parties).

The takeaway from that sentence, which MAKES A LOT OF SENSE in my opinion (whereas the imminent danger interpretation doesn't make any sense) is he's saying that he wants a contract with long-term guarantees and one that pays him at a fair market value (i.e. he wants the protection of an extension, and doesn't want to do a team discount).

The "end of the day, me and my family, that's the first thing" addendum to thought was simply clarifying that he's not interested in doing management favors or taking a team friendly deal -- i.e. me and my family are the negotiating party where my interests lie.

People can of course like that or not or find it in poor taste for him to come and say that or not, but turning it into "I need 15 million a year instead of 10 million a year because my kid's are starving at 10 million" just lacks a factual basis in reality, IMO.

All from here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=145610&p=2151291&hilit=family#p2151291

Seymour

Reaction score
Chapow":2wysnpf0 said:
Seymour":2wysnpf0 said:

What you are doing, repeatedly, is far more disingenuous than a player stating that their loyalty is to their family.

In your opinion maybe. Earl turned on us, so I turned on him. He showed his colors when the going got tough.

An eye for an eye.

I've got a LONG ways to go when you consider how many see my posts compared to how many saw the bird fly and the Garrett hugs. :177692:

Chapow

Reaction score
Seymour":2azifvug said:
Chapow":2azifvug said:
Seymour":2azifvug said:

In your opinion maybe. Earl turned on us, so I turned on him. He showed his colors when the going got tough.

An eye for an eye.

I've got a LONG ways to go when you consider how many see my posts compared to how many saw the bird fly and the Garrett hugs. :177692:

Geezus dude. :34853_doh:

Good luck with all that.

Seymour

Reaction score
Chapow":13hnpqof said:
Seymour":13hnpqof said:
Chapow":13hnpqof said:
Seymour":13hnpqof said:

An eye for an eye.

Good luck with all that.

Calm down. He is no longer a Seahawk. He just became off topic so don't get your panties in a bunch over your can do no wrong hero. :idea:

Chapow

Reaction score
Seymour":2ifsc3t8 said:
Chapow":2ifsc3t8 said:
Seymour":2ifsc3t8 said:
Chapow":2ifsc3t8 said:

An eye for an eye.

Good luck with all that.

Calm down. He is no longer a Seahawk. He just became off topic so don't get your panties in a bunch over your can do no wrong hero. :idea:

Calm down? Lol, I'm perfectly calm.

That's pretty rich coming from the guy that just announced his intentions to engage in a crusade to exact revenge on a now former Seahawk for whatever it is he did to hurt your feelings though.

:idea:

Seymour

Reaction score
Chapow":35w42hf7 said:
Seymour":35w42hf7 said:
Chapow":35w42hf7 said:
Seymour":35w42hf7 said:

An eye for an eye.

Good luck with all that.

Calm down? Lol, I'm perfectly calm.

That's pretty rich coming from the guy that just announced his intentions to engage in a crusade to exact revenge on a now former Seahawk for whatever it is he did to hurt your feelings though.

:idea:

No crusade. It was a rationalization. Plenty of others are done with Earl and his BS as well. Read up. :snack: