Rumor - Matt Flynn trade imminent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rat

Reaction score
Eh, I'd take Colt McCoy over Tyler Thigpen, but that's not saying much since I think they both suck. I think McCoy could competently run the offense, or at least not kill the team, if he has to take over for a few quarters within a game. We'd be screwed with either if they were forced to play extended time, though.

I'd seriously take Vince Young over both. I'd even be fine with Kevin Kolb, although I can't imagine why he'd sign here. Heck, I'd take Rex Grossman over McCoy or Thigpen. Actually, now that I said that and thought about it more the past few minutes, Grossman might be our best backup option.

DohBoy

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2390m9uk said:
Wait, Colt McCoy DOES have a similar skillset to Russell Wilson.

Having seen what I've seen of the Browns (and that's limited, to be fair), I'm not sure about that. But then again, Wilson might look pretty bad too if he had to play w/the Browns' cast of characters.

DohBoy

pinksheets

Reaction score
ihawk":2rs4sgi8 said:
Not that I support the guy, but FWIW, Incarcerated Bob called Flynn to Oakland like a month or so ago. Throwing darts?
Yeah. How many QB needy teams are there? We've already narrowed the list down hugely. How many systems would Flynn fit in? Oh there goes a few more. We ended up with OAK, JAX, and BUF. Jacksonville has a guy they spent a 1st on 2 years ago on their roster, a capable backup in Henne who is probably just as good as Flynn, and the Raiders have a project QB, a grossly overpaid vet, and former GB guys in the front office. Its called an educated guess, it gives you better odds than pure chance, and Incarcerated Bob lives off of it.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
I'm hoping that in an effort to prove to their fanbase that Flynn is *better* than Palmer, we get at least 3 first rounders.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I do like having good insurance in Flynn as a backup, which would make this a tough trade. Also have to consider what options are out there in terms of backup QBs.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
flynn will do well in oakland. Flynn is a good pirate name.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Baldwin tweet

@DougBaldwinJr: Wishing Flynn the best on his endeavors in Oakland. Sad to see a friend leave, but excited for his opportunity. Great QB, even better man.

Jville

Reaction score
It all makes sense to me.

I like what Reggie McKenzie is doing with the Oakland roster. He's unloading oversized contracts before roster bonuses come due and before the June 1st date. In 2013, he will bring an end to their cap hell and position them for the flat cap. In the process, McKenzie will see his Raider roster become one of the more attractive NFL destination for over looked free agents as we approach the draft.

Pryor isn't going any where.

Flynn is a possible trade acquisition ..... given that picks can be replaced thru the attractiveness of the Raider roster to agents of players with free agent status.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Happypuppy":1dpuyjet said:
Baldwin tweet

@DougBaldwinJr: Wishing Flynn the best on his endeavors in Oakland. Sad to see a friend leave, but excited for his opportunity. Great QB, even better man.

He already tweeted multiple times that he jumped the gun and based that tweet on the poor reporting that's filling up Twitter right now.

uncle fester

Reaction score
Per Albert Breer via Twitter;

The Seahawks and Raiders have in fact agreed to draft-pick compensation on a tentative trade to send Matt Flynn to Oakland. Deal's close.

and then;

Flynn's camp doesn't seem all that receptive to re-working his contract. Seahawks will take on $4M in dead $$ when the deal goes through.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
uncle fester":31jtyrqy said:
Per Albert Breer via Twitter;

The Seahawks and Raiders have in fact agreed to draft-pick compensation on a tentative trade to send Matt Flynn to Oakland. Deal's close.

and then;

Flynn's camp doesn't seem all that receptive to re-working his contract. Seahawks will take on $4M in dead $$ when the deal goes through.

Dead money, yes - but overall savings against the cap.

McGruff

Reaction score
dsquid":110rt8k4 said:
pinksheets":110rt8k4 said:
dsquid":110rt8k4 said:
Trading Flynn for a 4th or worse makes no sense whatsoever. This would make the team weaker immediately. A team with legit SB aspirations and a rock solid QB situation trades away security for a late round pick...? I don't see it.

Got to be at LEAST a 3rd...and I see some sort of escalator based on performance as mandatory.

I don't see how Matt Flynn provides security for SB aspirations. We can find a backup who can come in and win a couple games if need be with these weapons and this defense for cheaper, and there's nothing to suggest Flynn can take us to the promised land if Wilson were out indefinitely. He's just a guy.

Flynn is one of the top backups in the game, and he knows our team and our offense. The backup market has been picked clean. Name me 3 guys available as free agents right now you'd rather have than Flynn. Please be specific.

Tyler Thigpen
Troy Smith
Vince Young
Colt McCoy

All three have starting experience and fit our offense better than Flynn.

Atradees

Reaction score
Interesting thought: In the NBA cash can be traded for picks. Would that work in the NFL?

I liked Flynn as a competent back up and thought he had more potential than his PT suggested.

If we have to eat $4 million somebody give me a reason.

Its still the Raidas.......Give me a two at least!

Status
Not open for further replies.