Listless in Seattle … was Matt Flynn a Malcontent Last Year?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":3ql4y5gx said:
Scottemojo":3ql4y5gx said:
HawkBlogger rode Flynns jock for a long time, and following the first Rams game published a piece using snapshots from that game to make Wilson look like he couldn't see open receivers. It was a bullshit piece with an agenda. I don't take a lot of what he says seriously now just because he rode that agenda in the face of real evidence.

Wow, I'm glad I'm on your good side. Tell us how you really feel. :lol: :th2thumbs:

I actually liked that article, Wilson DID show signs of not seeing the field last season, especially early on, but obviously he was still a wonderful QB despite that flaw.

You are right though, his agenda pushing got way out of control for a few months there. You are dead on about his twisting logic and denying obvious inconvenient facts. If Matt Flynn was a Republican and Russell Wilson a Democrat, Hawkblogger would have been Sean Hannity. The whole episode really damaged his reputation and probably his traffic. Which is pretty strange, since he was one of the bigger Wilson supporters even before the NFL draft.

I hate agendas dressed as analysis. That is John Morgan BS. What we had seen the week before as Wilson led the comeback against the Patriots was truly special, and pushing that agenda after a bad game was some John Morgan style crap. He was right about a couple of those missed receivers. It happens. Nobody is complaining about how many times he missed Rice against Washington, though, are they? FWIW, I went back and watched every play he used a picture from, and a bunch of them were just plain out of context.

On Flynn, I mentioned his pouting a time or two and had a couple of people pissed about labeling him a malcontent. I pretty much thought Pete saw him that way too, Pete was nice about it and said "he is reacting like a competitor" about his not taking the news well. His reaction may have been understandable, but it still impugns his leadership skills. Imagine it had been Russell who didn't get the job. Do you for one second thing he would have slowed down in his work ethic?

pehawk

Reaction score
I got 2nd hand info from a player that stated Flynn WASN'T a pouter. BUT, the trade was all about doing right by Flynn. I think its a combination of both.

FWIW, that was my first question; was flynn pouty? A firm "no" was given.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":35c4kdeu said:
I got 2nd hand info from a player that stated Flynn WASN'T a pouter. BUT, the trade was all about doing right by Flynn. I think its a combination of both.

FWIW, that was my first question; was flynn pouty? A firm "no" was given.

Flynn's bottom lip was sticking out so far a bird shit on it. I do think it was a do right trade. Doesn't mean they weren't happy to be shut of him. The nine passes against the Cards were showcase passes, they were getting stuff on video in the middle of the season to show Flynn's arm and feet. Long before do right time.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
IMO it's a stretch to conclude that Matt Flynn was a malcontent. Aside from finances the man had a run of bad luck.
His participation and demeanor was more inline with knowing that his career was under the microscope because he lost the starting job to a rookie and the fact he injured his throwing arm/elbow during the qb competition. It's just speculation but Flynn may have overextended/overused his arm the same way badgers qb Jon Budymar injured himself while in competition with RW at Madison.
Considering RW's work ethic he seems to have an arm of steel but importantly, he has such a easy compact delivery and throws from his body.

IMO The reason Flynn was let go had everything to do with three things: allowing Flynn his opportunity, creating cap space and resolving the huge disparity in salaries between RW and Flynn. For those who don't believe big salaries at backup qb are an issue try paying your assistant 10x your cut next time you make a sale. Remember, Flynn now has less playing experience than RW. Future accomplishments by RW would only add to the inequitable distribution of wealth and responsibility at the qb spot.

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2fmhrle5 said:
pehawk":2fmhrle5 said:

FWIW, that was my first question; was Flynn pouty? A firm "no" was given.

Flynn's bottom lip was sticking out so far a bird shit on it. I do think it was a do right trade. Doesn't mean they weren't happy to be shut of him. The nine passes against the Cards were showcase passes, they were getting stuff on video in the middle of the season to show Flynn's arm and feet. Long before do right time.

Agreed. Those were my thoughts whenever Flynn saw time last year. Makes more sense than Pete running it up. Also, a player wouldn't be privy to all the pouting a coach would...especially a position coach.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
The great thing about the Seahawks is that they are young and talented but above all very welcoming and team driven.
I love the Real Rob Report and how it adds to social and mental fabric of this team.
If this team was a medieval bunch then Mike Rob would be our bard, RW our mage and Moffit the drunk oaf.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Malcontent or not...I think we should offer the Raiders one of our 7s for him.

Did Huard actually back up Manning? Who knew?? I'm surprised he doesn't drop that tidbit more frequently. Had to be the apex of his (professional) career.

chris98251

Reaction score
We got a new QB who I don't think is a read option guy but his name sounds a lot like Flynn in Quinn, Zorn liked him, Holmgren liked him but he was injured while in Cleveland and he never saw the field, both coaches gush about how great he is in the locker room. He has starter expereince and was once looked at in a favored light. With the tools here to gain confidence after being on the two worst teams in the league for his career he may be a guy that can get you thru some rough spots if neccesary.

Flynn was in a position that can only happen in a movie or Stephen King novel, you can't buy thebad luck he has had as far as where he's ended up and who was there or brought in. He happened to attend school where the best player in the land happened to play, got his shot and won a Championship but was not given credit, ended up going to a team that happened to have the MVP in Rogers, then goes to a team that drafts what looks like a once in a generation phenom at QB.

Only worse thing that could happen now is Brett Farve comes out of retirement and goes to Oakland or they get Barkley in the draft.

If that happens then he is likely to change his name to Job Flynn.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
What I was hearing mirrors this.

You kept hearing whispers about how he wouldn't work with Wilson to help him, that the guy that actually showed Wilson how to prepare and study when he got here was Portis (which is weird because it isn't like Portis was a ringing success in the league).

Maybe that is all BS but all I know is that there was a lot of stuff getting passed about how Flynn wasn't exactly taking Wilson under his wing.

This confirms it.

Frankly, I can understand the bitterness. You don't get to this level without firmly believing in yourself, and certainly being stuck behind Rodgers would make it hard for anyone short of the next Joe Montana to get playing time. Then getting sent here, seeing just how solid the defense was, knowing that Marshawn was going to make a lot of QBs look good anyway....well any good QB would want that slot. Then watching it all vanish when some rookie that everyone panned not only comes in and takes the job, but comes in and stumbles for weeks?

I missed bigtime on Wilson too. When the Wilson instead of Flynn train left I was NOT on it. I was livid because I saw just how good the rest of the team was and did not understand why you would want to sacrifice this year to bring a rookie along because rookies simply don't lead teams to the playoffs.

So I was a moron.

Thank god nobody listens to me, because Wilson was so good it looked like one of those weird ridiculous Brandon Fraser movies where someone sells their soul to the devil in order to be the greatest QB ever.

But all that aside, I can understand why Flynn was furious. I cannot understand why he wouldn't want to help his teammate though, if that story is true then he just becomes a flaming goat turd. And if the story of Portis taking Wilson under his wing is true then no wonder we signed him because we would owe him big.

HawkWow

Reaction score
If you look at tape (whatever) of Flynn offering the obligatory congrats to Wilson after one of his many TD tosses, you see Wilson had no love at all for Flynn. It was a quick nod of thanks, then back to looking at pictures of the Defense. I never knew who was dissing who, but IF this report is true, it's now clearer why Wilson had nothing for Matt. Can't read too much into any of this...competitors like Montana/Young and Favre/Rodgers had the same dynamics and all ended up better for it.

Teqneek

Reaction score
kearly":1hg64qo3 said:
Scanner: I think you are reading too much into this, but the truth is: I don't know. And you don't know. We can only speculate. This is more in the realm of opinion than fact.

You don't go from a 7th round pick to the NFL's best backup without busting some tail.

Now, lets say he really was slacking (in relative terms) this past year. Can you really blame him? He lost his chance at a starting job to arguably the most unprecedented rookie phenom in NFL history. By the end of the 3rd preseason game, he knew that he'd never be a starter in Seattle. You could see it on his face. He knew it. Where is the motivation to put in insane amounts of work when you know you're destined to be traded anyway. He could have spent every waking moment at the VMAC and it wouldn't have done anything to create an impression on his next employer.

I think the reason Seattle traded Flynn was because he was expensive, because they wanted a read-option backup, and because they felt Matt Flynn deserved better than to be a career backup. I don't think work habits factored. Not even a little. But that is only my opinion, and nothing more.

I have a problem with this. Again... two starts... and pre season time... doesnt make you the leagues best backup... There was way to much hype behind someone with very little sample data. Paying Flynn that money was worse than paying Kevin Kolb for his 3 above average games and 4 below average games in total.

Never liked the move, glad it didnt work out. Good luck to the raiders on that one.

And yes you can blame him.. Hes suppose to be a professional.. and being paid millions of dollars.. for an entertainment career.. not saving lives, helping the world or country even in some small kind of way. Thats the motivation. Sorry your feelings got hurt Flynn... but you started a year in college with a great squad around you.. congrats.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
HawkWow":wma6w4t7 said:
If you look at tape (whatever) of Flynn offering the obligatory congrats to Wilson after one of his many TD tosses, you see Wilson had no love at all for Flynn. It was a quick nod of thanks, then back to looking at pictures of the Defense. I never knew who was dissing who, but IF this report is true, it's now clearer why Wilson had nothing for Matt. Can't read too much into any of this...competitors like Montana/Young and Favre/Rodgers had the same dynamics and all ended up better for it.

I wouldn't read too much into Russell's demeanor during in-game celebrations. The dude always seems to have a stone cold assassin's face during games unless he's pumping up his teammates. I've seen video of Carroll, Cable and Bevell each congratulating and praising him during various games, and Russell's stoic demeanor never changes, even as they're gushing over him. There's that one shot of Bevell bear hugging Russell after the Chicago game, and the dude is not even cracking a smile after leading two game winning drives! That's just part of his make up, I think. Never gets too up or down during a game. He's Mr. Poise.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
kearly":3rd66b4p said:
Scanner: I think you are reading too much into this, but the truth is: I don't know. And you don't know. We can only speculate. This is more in the realm of opinion than fact.

You don't go from a 7th round pick to the NFL's best backup without busting some tail.

Now, lets say he really was slacking (in relative terms) this past year. Can you really blame him? He lost his chance at a starting job to arguably the most unprecedented rookie phenom in NFL history. By the end of the 3rd preseason game, he knew that he'd never be a starter in Seattle. You could see it on his face. He knew it. Where is the motivation to put in insane amounts of work when you know you're destined to be traded anyway. He could have spent every waking moment at the VMAC and it wouldn't have done anything to create an impression on his next employer.

I think the reason Seattle traded Flynn was because he was expensive, because they wanted a read-option backup, and because they felt Matt Flynn deserved better than to be a career backup. I don't think work habits factored. Not even a little. But that is only my opinion, and nothing more.

First of all, let me again start off by saying that I am NOT a Flynn hater. I like Matt Flynn as a player quite a lot ... it just has become clear to me that him as a back-up in Seattle just wasn't going to work.

Now Kearly, I don't know that I am reading too much in to this actually. Go back and look at what Brock Huard is saying in that section of the article. He starts out by saying, "It was my understanding ..." What he says and following there clearly isn't based on his his opinion -- it says that he has some inside knowledge from player(s), coach(es), whomever. Someone from within the Seahawks organization shared this with him ... and since we know that Brock talks with a lot of guys connected to the team, I put stock in what he writes. And what he was told (specifically) was that last year Matt Flynn:

A) gave little to no help to Russell Wilson
B) that Josh Portis was far more willing than Flynn to put in extra credit time

Now, when Matt Flynn first joined the Seahawks ... I made a concerted effort to learn about everything I could on him. I read, listened to interviews of those who knew him, etc -- I did my homework. And you're absolutely right, you don't go from a 7th Round pick to the best back-up in the league without busting some tail. He most certainly did. His record clearly shows that he did and that this was one of the hardest working guys in football.

So when I read Brock Huard's comments, that is what doesn't add up frankly. All of that flies in the face of everything that Matt Flynn had ever done as a player up until that point. The logical explanation (to me at least) of why he would suddenly turn his back on the values that got him to where he is now as a player ... is that he was pretty disappointed and that disappointment affected him (and I would probably say the team to some degree) last year. You're right in saying that in looking at video and pictures of this guy from last year that he wears his emotions on his sleeve. It was clear that he was disappointed and unhappy following that 3rd Pre-season game.

Now do I blame him for slacking and perhaps pouting a little? As I wrote in the main piece, given the circumstances -- absolutely not. I understand perfectly. That said, in the end this is a job and as the back-up he had a job that he was required to do. That may sound harsh, but that's exactly how employers see things. And from what Huard is saying, he didn't do his job very well (and frankly probably never would have, which is why besides the money it probably became necessary to trade him).

I agree that the contract, the Seahawks desire to find a read-option QB, and the Hawks desire to be classy in sending him to a place where he could honestly compete for a starting job played in to their ultimate decision to trade him ... but I find it hard to believe that there isn't anything more to the story than that. IMO, you simply don't go trading your back-up QB for 2 future 5th Round choices going in to a season in which you're considered a Super Bowl favorite. That just doesn't pass the smell test unless there's something more.

Lastly, I believe you're completely wrong in saying that Flynn's work ethic (or lack thereof) after losing out on the starting job wouldn't have any effect on the impressions of any future employer. You can fertilize a lot of lawns with that kind of thinking. The other day in writing this piece, I went back and listened to Ian Furness's entire podcast with John Schneider right after the Seahawks signed Flynn this last March. Schneider said in that interview that prior to making that move, he talked to a lot of guys within the Green Bay organization (including Aaron Rodgers) about Matt Flynn -- and Schneider made it real clear that Flynn's incredible work ethic was what impressed him the most. Believe me, people talk and things like that get around. Who you are when no one is watching most definitely has an impact.

In the end, I believe Flynn was unhappy here in Seattle (for obvious reasons), which is why I believe things would never have worked with him as the back-up QB. I hold no ill will towards him whatsoever and wish him nothing but the best of luck in Oakland.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
I never once heard, saw, smelled, sensed, divined any information that Flynn was a problem last year. To me he came off as a professional in his brief stint here. I'm happy to leave it at that.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3qqmpcmm said:
During the season last year, the insider for the Packers from the Milwaukee paper said that our staff was not impressed with Flynn's work ethic. I think it was in the days just before the Monday night Packer game.

HawkBlogger rode Flynns jock for a long time, and following the first Rams game published a piece using snapshots from that game to make Wilson look like he couldn't see open receivers. It was a bullshit piece with an agenda. I don't take a lot of what he says seriously now just because he rode that agenda in the face of real evidence.

That's how I saw it, too. HawkBlogger's most recent piece sounds like an attempt to sum up the Flynn era in Seattle and justify his earlier cheerleading for Flynn. Hence the unsubstantiated claims about the coaches refusing to get behind Flynn, etc.

I'll still read HB's blog, but I take everything I read there now with a huge grain of salt.

Atradees

Reaction score
I think Flynn worked so hard he got tendonitis. Which is difficult and derailing. I would like to see him do well with the raiders. We decided backup was less priority. Huard does have an insiders perspective.

AVL

Reaction score
Human eyes have the unique ability to see what they want to see, makes us great liars.

Sturm

Reaction score
I could tell Flynn wasn't happy with the situation just by reading his body language on the sideline during games.