Status
Not open for further replies.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
dsquid":13m8q4fm said:
Smelly McUgly":13m8q4fm said:
dsquid":13m8q4fm said:
Trading Flynn for a 4th or worse makes no sense whatsoever. This would make the team weaker immediately. A team with legit SB aspirations and a rock solid
QB situation trades away security for a late round pick...? I don't see it.

Got to be at LEAST a 3rd...and I see some sort of escalator based on performance as mandatory.

Think about it this way: With the cash saved, Schneider can lock up Kam and maybe even sign another guy (Branch? Abraham?). He can also find a backup QB that better fits the offense.

We already have enough money to resign Kam. You don't needlessly weaken a team with SB potential. Unless the deal blows our socks off (and fixes the now GAPING hole at backup QB) you don't make this move.

I'll respectfully disagree again, unless you think that Wilson will likely get hurt this year. I don't.

Flynn eating 4.25M to sit on the bench for 19 games is bad value. Nor do we know how effective he would be in our offense, which is tailored to Russell Wilson, a QB with a much different skillset.

Let's say we already had the money to re-sign Kam. Now we have the money to re-sign someone else as well, maybe. We can roll this money over and pay Sherm with it next year, for example.

Furthermore, I would rather try to draft or coach up a guy with the skillset to run our offense. Vince Young and Tyler Thigpen are FA examples; EJ Manuel or Matt Scott would be fine draft choices that we could plug in as a backup.

Just my two cents here.

Rat

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2tasiwn4 said:
Rat":2tasiwn4 said:
Throwdown":2tasiwn4 said:
I'll say we got a 3rd because I firmly believe Schneider is a genius.
Schneider has made a lot of great moves, but I can't recall where he got amazing value for a player. Most of his player trades were perceived as being sub-par value, but turned out OK (Josh Wilson, Rob Sims, Seneca Wallace, Lawrence Jackson, etc), mostly because of how well he did replacing those players.

Seriously? We sent Tapp to Philly for Clem and a pick that turned into Sherm!
Was Tapp for Clemons/5th seen as amazing value at the time? Sounds like revisionist history to me. Clemons was a backup DE with exactly half of a productive season in his career, which had been several years prior. Awesome that it worked, but I don't recall everyone declaring it some huge steal at the time. It was seen like most of our other deals at the time, where we were just trying to get what we could for a guy from the past regime who didn't fit in anymore.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
IncarceratedBob was right again! He called this 2-3 weeks ago!

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Trade isn't a done deal yet. From Ian Rapoport:

@RapSheet: Sounds like a final run at Carson Palmer to get him to take a pay cut. If he doesn't, it all could happen today. Palmer out, Flynn in in OAK

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Rat":1nejlj6i said:
Was Tapp for Clemons/5th seen as amazing value at the time? Sounds like revisionist history to me. Clemons was a backup DE with exactly half of a productive season in his career, which had been several years prior. Awesome that it worked, but I don't recall everyone declaring it some huge steal at the time. It was seen like most of our other deals at the time, where we were just trying to get what we could for a guy from the past regime who didn't fit in anymore.

I don't think what we saw it as or what the media saw it as at the time matters. We're talking solely about whether or not Schneider ever made a high-value trade, and Tapp for Clemons and a fifth was AMAZING value. We got a 10+ sack starter AND a draft pick out of it, and that's before you remember that the fifth-round pick turned out to be an elite, top-three corner in the NFL.

I give more credit to Schneider and Carroll for recognizing that the market was undervaluing Clemons as a pass-rusher at the elephant position than anything else.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Check out this post from the Raider Forum (Regarding Russell Wilson):

You are basing that on what?
Threw over 30 times just 3 times.
How many times did he come from behind?
Sorry, but the bit I saw of Seattle it was all defense and Marshawn Lynch.

When the guy can carry the team, then you can state he's that good.
Wilson didn't come close to carrying the team in A SINGLE GAME.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
Jake Hawks":3atgto0m said:
What are the chances they sign hasselbeck now?
Elizabeth or Tim because Matt already signed with the Colts?

Throwdown

Reaction score
Basis4day":1im2ag83 said:
Check out this post from the Raider Forum (Regarding Russell Wilson):

You are basing that on what?
Threw over 30 times just 3 times.
How many times did he come from behind?
Sorry, but the bit I saw of Seattle it was all defense and Marshawn Lynch.

When the guy can carry the team, then you can state he's that good.
Wilson didn't come close to carrying the team in A SINGLE GAME.

Lol, they'll find out this season.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
dsquid":27bhi720 said:
Trading Flynn for a 4th or worse makes no sense whatsoever. This would make the team weaker immediately. A team with legit SB aspirations and a rock solid
QB situation trades away security for a late round pick...? I don't see it.

On the flip side if you are JS and PC if you do that what does it say about your feelings on Flynn?

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
I hope we play Raiders in the preseason now. I wanna see how good Flynn is against us.

Rat

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1ylinatw said:
Rat":1ylinatw said:

I don't think what we saw it as or what the media saw it as at the time matters. We're talking solely about whether or not Schneider ever made a high-value trade, and Tapp for Clemons and a fifth was AMAZING value. We got a 10+ sack starter AND a draft pick out of it, and that's before you remember that the fifth-round pick turned out to be an elite, top-three corner in the NFL.

The reason I'm bringing it up is because people keep saying that we're going to get this amazing perceived value for Flynn because Schneider is this great GM. My point is that, his trades haven't been seen as amazing value type deals when they went down, and we shouldn't expect differently this time, although I would love to be wrong and smoke the Raiders out of something huge. If we trade him for a fourth, that doesn't mean it won't work out for us, it very well could, I just think some people should lower their expectations regarding the haul on this deal.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Jake Hawks":rvce9uhq said:
What are the chances they sign hasselbeck now?

Beside the fact that he is on the colts.....he doesn't have a similar skill set to Wilson. That is what they are after.

ihawk

Reaction score
Not that I support the guy, but FWIW, Incarcerated Bob called Flynn to Oakland like a month or so ago. Throwing darts?

DohBoy

Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.