POLL: What should we do with Darrell Bevell?

What should we do with Darrell Bevell?

• Fire him as soon as possible because of his poor playcalling

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Fire him if we see he has lost the confidence of the players

Votes: 39 26.9%
  • Keep him, but on a short leash with some play calling.

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Keep him, and realize that he's still our best option as OC

Votes: 46 31.7%

• Total voters

Optimus25

Reaction score
Mojambo":ycxrsr90 said:
He's a very good offensive coordinator who, even with his weaknesses, has put his team in the Superbowl two straight years. He has the overwhelming support of his boss and his star QB who is about to sign a mega deal.

Those guys don't get fired, no matter how much an over-reacting fan base squeals.

This kind of logic is just escaping me altogether in all this chaos over Bevell. Did Bevell 'put' us in the super bowl two straight years? IMO, without bevell and with, oh, let's just throw out a name like say mcdaniels, we beat green bay because our offensive game plan is actually better than theirs defensively. Rather than WITH bevell, our gameplan is pathetic, we get absolutely routed at home for 57 minutes, and pull of a fantastic comeback by the skin of our teeth. Or NFCCG last year, wanna recap of our 1st and 2nd QTR points? 0 and 3 respectively. how about the bigtime Rams game this year to cap off the 1 seed and HFA? 1st and 2nd QTR? 0 and 0.

In all seriousness and with no animosity about "the play", what exactly is so 'very good' here? Isn't Russell, Marshawn, & co. enough to cloud vision of what's "very good"?

Shouldn't a great O coordinator on this team make the other team have to play from behind early, which would put our skilled secondary at a huge advantage? If he's good at adjustments, great, how would a team that jumps out on the scoreboard and sustain early drives but can't make adjustments fare versus what we see now? i venture far better. the defense stays fresher longer and the offense can start grinding it out sooner.

Mojambo

Reaction score
There are lots of reasons we under-performed early in games, many having to do with Pete Carroll's offensive philosophy.

But by all means, continue to channel all the misfortunes of a very big machine with a whole lot of different moving parts onto one guy if it makes you feel better,

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
What should 'we' do with Bevell? Nothing. That's up to more qualified minds.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
I dont know why anyone considers bevell our best option or even a good option. Bevell deserves ZERO CREDIT for our success, and tons of blame for our failures.

1. We are a run-first team with an OL that sucks balls at pass pro but does well enough in the run game for our unique RB who bulldozes people and breaks tackles like no one else. Bevell deserves zero credit for this.

2. Our passing game is dependent on our run game and our unique QB who runs for big yards and scrambles and makes plays out of nothing. Bevell does not deserve any credit for this. With a "typical" QB our passing game would be absolute garbage.

With Lynch and Wilson we have our unique offense players that allow us to score enough points DESPITE having an absolute moron for an OC.

Why are so many people afraid of moving on? One of the reasons a ROOKIE was able to intercept that pass is because our offense is so predictable and we run so few plays from the playbook.

An OC who knows how to mix up the playcalling a bit more and doesnt forget what our offense relies on (hard-nosed running) would have brought us back-to-back Lombardis and we would be on our way to #3 next year.

We don't need a genius at OC, but we can't afford to keep an idiot. Bevell needs to go and we don't deserve another Lombardi until we have fixed that mistake.

randomation

Reaction score
Fire him not just because of the myriad of mind boggling playcalls throughout the years. Fire him because he threw Lockette under the buss every other person took responsibility even PC took blame for it Bevell threw Lockette under the bus; can him now.

Mojambo

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":14vou9pr said:

Thank god for that.

Optimus25

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":o1sqx2kt said:
I dont know why anyone considers bevell our best option or even a good option. Bevell deserves ZERO CREDIT for our success, and tons of blame for our failures.

1. We are a run-first team with an OL that sucks balls at pass pro but does well enough in the run game for our unique RB who bulldozes people and breaks tackles like no one else. Bevell deserves zero credit for this.

2. Our passing game is dependent on our run game and our unique QB who runs for big yards and scrambles and makes plays out of nothing. Bevell does not deserve any credit for this. With a "typical" QB our passing game would be absolute garbage.

With Lynch and Wilson we have our unique offense players that allow us to score enough points DESPITE having an absolute moron for an OC.

Why are so many people afraid of moving on? One of the reasons a ROOKIE was able to intercept that pass is because our offense is so predictable and we run so few plays from the playbook.

An OC who knows how to mix up the playcalling a bit more and doesnt forget what our offense relies on (hard-nosed running) would have brought us back-to-back Lombardis and we would be on our way to #3 next year.

We don't need a genius at OC, but we can't afford to keep an idiot. Bevell needs to go and we don't deserve another Lombardi until we have fixed that mistake.

Bevell going won't happen. Apparently, the "always compete" mantra goes strictly for players. because when you add up our first half points in both NFCCG's and come up with 3, houston, we have a problem. likewise, our super bowl first half would have been an absolute disaster if a foot locker employee didn't bail bevell out. Why does our opening series tend to be such a predictable, disgusting display of feeling our opponent out like meek little lingerie football players? the way the patriots came out and drove down the field all over the first quarter brought the same kind of envy denver felt last year watching our defense play---look at what you can't have! we are purely incapable of having an offensive gameplan in huge games that strikes first and forces the opponent to play from behind, which plays to the strength of our defense.

And for the record, which "one guy" would be more responsible for the offensive tone than bevell, as another reply suggested? Pete? meh, he's more a company man IMO who strikes giant overtones and tremendous fine tuning into the offense but i find it hard to believe he's more the 'conductor' than bevell. likewise, i am positive Pete wouldn't strike down innovation. I mean what seemed to be bevells brainchild since about week 14 or so?- the set of twin receivers spread all the way to the sidelines on each side of the ball with russ and marshawn in a pistol IIRC. ok, well, it hasn't been too bad, but that's because it has always been called either in our own territory or midfield. so when does bevell bust it out in the super bowl? 3rd down in the red zone. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? this formation has no business in that situation and to me that was the second biggest terrible call of the game, as NE had been locking down our receivers man to man all day, so what sense does the philosophy of this formation make? zero. it hinges on the threat of possibly busting man to man, but with no threat of that, and in a compressed red zone area, NE just stacked the box. Dumb.

Do we have the personnel to change if we had the best coordinator in the history of the world? Now that's debatable. Bevell being "very good" or non-negligent due to the misfortune of a big machine with moving parts is no excuse for the end product. likewise, the Seahawks reaching 2 super bowls and bevells personal performance is apples to oranges. you could say with bevell this has happened, i say with a different coordinator it would have been more efficient, less "come from behind" "halftime adjustment oriented" and played more to our strengths. oh well, as long as we stick with bevell we have Russ to bail him out. seems to be working so far. If it ain't broke don't fix it? or more like, it's broke, but we're not gonna fix it cause it's working....if you ask me.

and just to add to the insanity of this week, everyone and their brother on here just shakes their head and pounds it on the nearest wall everytime bevell called a maligned bubble screen, but here's the funniest thing to me: a bubble instead of a slant by lockette is almost infinitely safer and he would be going 1 on 1 with the defender at the 1 inch line. guess it's too much to ask bevell to realize a slant is extremely difficult on the 1 yd line. even on the 2 a slant could be set up way better. on the 1 this should not be on the play sheet. Using this formation with lockette and just half step in and bubble out, well, watch and see for yourself. browner is locked up, completely out of the play by being locked on kearse. lockette takes even a small motion inward forces butler to rocket inside as well. turn that into a miniature whirl route like what edelman burned the pants off simon on, and well, we win. but that would take bevell getting out of the box.

chet380

Reaction score
Mojambo":2czvb03e said:
HawKnPeppa":2czvb03e said:

Thank god for that.

The Poll -- What should WE do .... -- who are the exalted "WE" to pose this question??

seedhawk

Reaction score
I just love these confounding/conditional posts. Most of you have posted we need to get better on the o-line, while picking up better Wr's and TE's. By association that means we have a good to super Qb and Rb.

So Bevell has to make do with substandard parts at very important positions. What is he supposed to do? Run ML 55 times a game. Throw complex route trees at receivers who can't understand them.

We have a very unique dynamic in our structure. Bevell has the title of OC, yet he is basically just a playcaller, because Cable is the assistant head coach, o-line coach and run game coordinator. So answer me this! Just who in hell do we hire to replace Bevell, that is a better option, knowing that if Cable stays he is hamstrung by having 1/3 to 1/2 of his offense dictated by someone else?

Responsibility without authority is useless

SuperFreak

Reaction score
" What should we do with Darrell Bevell? " Forgive him and move on, it's Pete's call who he wants on his staff I trust Pete. Looking forward to the draft now.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
He got us to two SBs, and damn near won both. I honestly credit Butler, Belichick, and Browner as well as give RW, Lockette and Kearse blame for the final play. Maybe if there was some actual talent on the offense he could work with other than RW and Lynch the offensive game could be more consistent.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Fire him yesterday for reasons others have pointed out here including but not limited to throwing Ricardo under the bus, slow to adjust to opponents, endless red zone struggles, slow starting offense, possibility of losing the lockerroom after calling the absolutely most moronic play in the history of football, simplistic route concepts, empty backfield sets leaving no threat of a run to the defense especially against the Rams, etc., etc., etc............................

Tical21

Reaction score
Mojambo":2ktp8qwr said:
Tical21":2ktp8qwr said:
A bunch of the fanbase is going to want to string him up every single time there is a playcall they disagree with. You just can't continue in this city after what he did.

He's worked under a fan base like that for two years. There's nothing new here, really.
There's a bit of a difference between not running the ball in week three versus the Chargers and making the worst decision in the history of coaching, which happened to cost your team a Super Bowl. People wanted him gone before, now they want his head.

Can Bartman go back to Chicago? Can Buckner go back to Boston?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
ZagHawk":32t1b8zd said:
He got us to two SBs, and damn near won both. I honestly credit Butler, Belichick, and Browner as well as give RW, Lockette and Kearse blame for the final play. Maybe if there was some actual talent on the offense he could work with other than RW and Lynch the offensive game could be more consistent.
Last season he had Zach Miller, Golden Tate, Kearse and Doug Baldwin to work with. That is not a bad wide receiver corps by any means, especially when supported by the legs of Marshawn Lynch, and Russell Wilson. Golden Tate has proven he is a bonafide number 1 receiver this season, and at some points he was carrying the entirety of Detroits passing game himself. Miller has great hands, and has been known to make some circus catches in Seattle uniform and keep the sticks moving. He regularly caught 60 passes a year on the Raiders, and was seen as an elite TE before in Seattle. Baldwin is a good number 2, and an even better slot receiver in the same mold as Stockley. With Kearse and Tate playing outside, Baldwin was free to work underneath.

Despite having more than adequate receiving threats in 2012, and 2013 our offense has had the exact same problem; We tread water until the last two minutes of each half. I see many problems with Bevell's play calling, and have seen the same problems all the way back in 2011. His main problem is that he plays matchups with no consideration given to our players strengths and weaknesses, and he has terrible situational awareness as a playcaller. On 3rd and 2, you don't come out in a 5 WR empty set formation when your O-Line is struggling, and you have one of the most powerful runners in football.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Since we're playing make believe, how 'bout just turning him into a sideline figurehead that nods at what ever play Russell wants to run. Russ is in the building long enough to come up with the game plan as well.

original poster

Reaction score
Find an offensive coach that doesn't make the occasional bad call.

Lets be realistic, he knows the game and the team a damn sight better then any one of us, the only advantage we have is hindsight.

He was part of getting us to back to back superbowls so I'm fine with that. Adding the fact that Wilson and PC and clearly supporting him says it all.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
original poster":v8j7cwoj said:
Find an offensive coach that doesn't make the occasional bad call.

Lets be realistic, he knows the game and the team a damn sight better then any one of us, the only advantage we have is hindsight.

He was part of getting us to back to back superbowls so I'm fine with that. Adding the fact that Wilson and PC and clearly supporting him says it all.
Let's not forget that Bevell had the advantage of a historical defense backing his mediocre offenses. Now he has the arguably worst call in SuperBowl history under his belt. This isn't just an isolated case, Bevell has made head scratching play calls all year long just like the one we just mentioned.

Mick063

Reaction score
Bevell sucks. I hate his passing offense.

kjreid

Reaction score
Bevell is a very good OC on a defensive minded team. No matter who is the OC of a defensive minded team,he will be the enemy of the 12s. He does a lot more right than wrong BY A LONG SHOT!!

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
fucgoof":28lrpwnu said:
Not sure why it's what "we" need to do about Bevell. Last I checked, Pete Carroll makes those decisions. And I hear no b-otch in about the "bad" play calling and the end of the first half (you know, the plays that scored a touchdown ). And I didn't see him on the field with the supposed best defense in the history of the NFL give up a 10 point lead.
Excuse me: to ALL of you that make these types of posts (not just you fucgoof), THIS IS A FAN SITE. We get that none of us work for the Seahawks. We get that we don't make these types of decisions. These are "what if" scenarios, as in what if you were in charge. PLEASE stop with these kinds of posts people.
Thank you.

P.S. Your point about the defense is valid, but also remember that the offense had the ball with that 10 point lead twice and failed to put the game away with a TD drive. Is that on Bevell? Maybe. Both units did fail after getting that 10 point lead. Also please keep in mind our D-line depth was nearly non-existent and the LOB was an injury disaster area.