POLL: What should we do with Darrell Bevell?

What should we do with Darrell Bevell?

• Fire him as soon as possible because of his poor playcalling

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Fire him if we see he has lost the confidence of the players

Votes: 39 26.9%
  • Keep him, but on a short leash with some play calling.

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Keep him, and realize that he's still our best option as OC

Votes: 46 31.7%

• Total voters

12th_Bob

Reaction score
The worst option is #3, you can't give a guy limited power and expect him to succeed. Either you trust him or you don't and give someone else the responsibility.

hawk45

Reaction score
Bevell has a history of poor pre-game planning, at least that's the best explanation for why our offense sucks in the first half. So much so that there was an ongoing debate about whether Bevell was "setting up" plays in the 2nd half of games, and talk that our team is just all about finishing, so...it's okay they suck in the beginning (it certainly is, until it isn't). I guess Belichick and McDaniels aren't smart enough to plan that far ahead, because the Patriots just came right out and drove down our throat immediately, before the Lane injury even. Bet they feel stupid for trying to succeed on offense right away.

He also has a history of going away from the run at the worst possible moments, for example when the defense is gassed from being on the field, or...what was that other one...oh yeah that time we lost the Superbowl on a quick slant. This talk of "learning" misses the point entirely, Bevell's nature is to get too cute. He values randomness and understands getting good matchups from a formation standpoint, but from a personnel standpoint he fails miserably. Bubble screens that look wonderful in terms of numbers but look sucky when you realize they call for an undersized receiver to block a LB or some other large person one-on-one.

His formations and route concepts aren't complex enough to get his average WRs open, and yes I'm parroting what I've heard from others here and analysts because I can't evaluate that myself, but I haven't actually seen this point be contested much. What I can evaluate myself are the 3-wideouts-in-a-phone-booth plays in the red zone or the fades to Doug Baldwin (although what I wouldn't have given for a fade to Doug last Sunday on the final play instead of what we got). Elementary would be giving those too much credit.

Speaking of red zone, when we aren't running the ball down there, quite often the total blanketing of our receivers (see previous paragraph) results in Russell escaping and connecting with a wideout who has also gone sandlot.

So we have an OC with an embarrassment of riches at RB and a QB that covers up for all manner of mistakes. As well as the laundry list above.

He's not the worst in the world, he's average on a great team. But when I tack on that final play and the fact that this isn't a one-time deal, as soon as he reaches a few months in between Cable beatings he starts getting cute again, I'm ready for him to be gone.

For those worried nobody would want to replace him, there may be some egos that wouldn't, but it's a championship team. Bevell has been average for 3 years and he got HC looks. Someone looking for some career rehab or someone with their eyes on HC someday will I'm sure be able to talk themselves into a job with Seattle. Far, far more easily than they would a crappy or average team.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I voted to fire him if he has lost the confidence of his players. I think that has already happened.

Check this article:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... s-comments

The reality that Bevell didn't own the decision instead of throwing Lockette under the bus with his blame game post game tweet indicated a reason for me to fire him which was more significant than the stupidity of the call which stole a SB victory from the team. Notwithstanding RWs familiarity with Bevell's system and the need for his continuing development, I believe Bevell frequently makes these stupid decisions going away from what got him here and has to be rescued by a genuine Head Coach who take responsibility for him even when it isn't due. Interesting here the two guys not directly responsible take responsibility but Bevell tried to duck and point the finger elsewhere. Had he owned it I'd have more respect for him but now believe he needs to be gone gone gone.

byau

Reaction score
Austin Hawk":9nu4uh33 said:
volsunghawk":9nu4uh33 said:
I'll be honest and say, "I don't know."

There are plenty of times his choices make no sense to me. Conversely, there have been times when I think the offensive play design has been very good. I think he's a mixed bag, and that's all he's ever going to be.

If there is an outstanding potential OC out there that we could grab right now, maybe that's an option. But I don't know if that's the case (and pehawk, this isn't just a "name someone better" dodge). I don't like the idea of just kicking Bevell to the curb out of anger or frustration - especially since he and Wilson seem to have a really good relationship. I also tend to think that continuity is pretty important for a team, and I'd be concerned about how the 2015 season would be affected if we lose both our coordinators.

So, there. A bunch of words to say that I have no idea.

I'm kind of in the same boat. My initial reaction was to ban him from football forever, lol, but if ANYONE has learned from what happened Sunday, it would be him. My gut tells me that Pete gave him the go-ahead to call a pass play, but that Bevell was the one that chose WHICH pass play to run (the wrong one, as we know).

I am also in the same boat. For me it is not just "is there anyone else better out there?". He has been our OC for the last three years and we have accomplished quite a bit.

Fans are finicky and you hear outcries that we do not do the long ball enough. But then when we try the long ball and aren't successful he is then lamented for being too "cute". You can't do it all, you have to choose, and he has had plays to put our offense in a successful position to execute. And more often than not, our offense executes. I think he gets the blame for drawing up plays at times our offense cannot execute, and that is his fault. So then he sticks with what we can execute, and again that's his fault. You can't do it all.

I'd still give him the same responsibility and same "leash" this coming year and I'm curious to see how it goes.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Where is the "Deport him to Guam" option?

In all seriousness, we're stuck with him. The same thing that kept Quinn here all year is the same thing that leaves us stuck with Bevell. Even if we wanted to make a change, who is out there? Tom Cable? To me.. Cable screams "Greg Knapp 2.0"

Not to mention, this will be the fourth year Russ has been in the offense. He knows it like the back of his hand. (Of course so do our opponents apparently) I think that's a pretty valuable thing to have with a young QB.

Bevell will stay.. but if everything spirals out of control next season.. I'm sure we'd make a change. Or who knows, maybe our offense does fine and we don't go as far and someone hires him as HC.

As long as Lynch comes back in September and he is 100% into this thing.. I think we will be ok. And hopefully Bevell will FINALLY learn to stop getting so GD cute at the worst times. He's played with fire for 3 years now and finally got burned.

seahawks187

Reaction score
I can't believe how many people are crying and moaning acting like they know more than JS, Pete and bevell.. Stop being backseat play callers!! It doesn't matter who's calling the plays ..even holmgren was ripped.. Anyone is going to get ripped .. Just be a damn fan and stop acting like we didnt just go to 2 super bowls in a row

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
firebee":14ldjlcq said:
theascension":14ldjlcq said:
4th in Drive scoring % since 2012 with Wilson, Lynch and an ever changing question mark at receiver/tight end/fullback. Only behind NE, GB and DEN. Really? It's crazy to fire him. Absolutely crazy. Who out there is better?

Chris Petersen - Huskies Head Coach... Former Head Coach for Boise St.

:lol:

Petersen makes nearly $4M a year .. he's not leaving to become a coordinator.

The only options would be Cable and position coaches from other teams since you can't make a lateral move. And believe me, the best options are gone.. that's what happens when you play 5 weeks longer than anyone else

byau

Reaction score
Good article, Hugh Millen break down of the play and the five "fatal" mistakes.

Amongst them, while he lists Coach's decision to pass as a fatal mistake, he actually says it's not a bad idea to pass, but to say it was to "waste a down" is not correct. So not so much a bad play call as it is bad execution

For me, the most notable one he brings up is Wilson's error: badly thrown pass, should have trailed him.

http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2 ... 03xml.html

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
For those screaming "FIRE HIM!!!" read this..

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas ... ng-so-well

There is no one better. I agree that Bevell and Pete better start mending the fences in the locker room.. but I also believe if anyone is capable of doing that.. its this coaching staff. Hell Pete already kind of did it after the Percy trade.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Not the right time. Besides that, with Carroll/Cable dictating the overall philosophy and Russell heading into Year 4, the playcaller himself becomes less significant. It would also reflect poorly on Carroll and would probably make the next guy unnecessarily gun-shy. How would you like to enter into a job knowing that the last guy was fired for a pass-play that was co-signed by the HC? Carroll has done the right thing. He has owned up to the decision and explained it as well as anyone possibly could. Let's get more WR/TE talent, get some guys healthy, and move forward.

firebee

Reaction score
12th_Bob":2zj4f5vl said:
The worst option is #3, you can't give a guy limited power and expect him to succeed. Either you trust him or you don't and give someone else the responsibility.

If you're already of the mind to give a guy limited power and keep him on a short leash, you might as well let him go. So we give him a short leash and he keeps making the idiotic decisions he's been making. Then what? We're changing OCs midseason? You're in effect making your entire season hinge on Bevell not doing anything idiotic when he's already proven to be idiotic at the worst times. Just get rid of him. Do you guys think it's a coincidence that Tate went to Detroit for not much more than we offered because he liked their offensive system more? Is it a coincidence that Tate absolutely went on a terror this year, with or without Megatron playing opposite of him? When your offensive players don't resign with your team and go to another team for not that much more than you're team was going to pay them, that says something about your OC. When you offensive players go to other teams and produce twice as much for another team as they did yours, that says something about your OC. Bevell, simply, is not a good OC. He's had a great QB, a great RB and a great defense bailing out his plays with scrambling, broken tackles and turnovers. You stick Bevell on any other team and that team is an 8-8 team... At best.

byau

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":13369ihy said:
For those screaming "FIRE HIM!!!" read this..

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas ... ng-so-well

There is no one better. I agree that Bevell and Pete better start mending the fences in the locker room.. but I also believe if anyone is capable of doing that.. its this coaching staff. Hell Pete already kind of did it after the Percy trade.

Agree, there is no one better. But for me that's not in a "well, there's no one better so he gets it by default" type of way. I think he actually does pretty well. He's an easy target for when things go wrong, but given that much of the money is spent on the defense, I think he does alright with what we have. Can he do better? Always, but I think he is far along in getting to know this offense and I'd like to see what comes up next year

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
byau":2qebiqvi said:

Amongst them, while he lists Coach's decision to pass as a fatal mistake, he actually says it's not a bad idea to pass, but to say it was to "waste a down" is not correct. So not so much a bad play call as it is bad execution

For me, the most notable one he brings up is Wilson's error: badly thrown pass, should have trailed him.

See.. and I just can't blame Wilson for that throw. I can't. He put the ball exactly where it had to be on that particular play. If he throws it more inside, it bounces off Lock's shoulder and pops in the air where Browner is waiting to grab it. Bevell shouldn't have aired out Lockette immediately after the game, but he's right.. he did not do a good job fighting for the ball. And as Brady Quinn describes.. Lockette was clearly trying to body catch it..

http://www.footballbyfootball.com/colum ... ealing-int

byau

Reaction score
firebee":3d4j53qu said:
12th_Bob":3d4j53qu said:

If you're already of the mind to give a guy limited power and keep him on a short leash, you might as well let him go. So we give him a short leash and he keeps making the idiotic decisions he's been making. Then what? We're changing OCs midseason? .

This.

Just like the quarterback debates. You can't have your starting QB on a short leash aka Jets and Browns.

Michael Bennett said in one interview, any team that has a QB debate is not making it to the playoffs.

It can be said of the coaching positions too. They need to be able to function with the staff backing them up (which also leads to mending whatever locker room politics there are)

Mojambo

Reaction score
He's a very good offensive coordinator who, even with his weaknesses, has put his team in the Superbowl two straight years. He has the overwhelming support of his boss and his star QB who is about to sign a mega deal.

Those guys don't get fired, no matter how much an over-reacting fan base squeals.

chet380

Reaction score
Let's have a poll about shutting down the whining and finger-pointing ;;; these guys got us to the last three NFCCG's, the last two SB's and a SB win.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":j5a2zh4r said:
byau":j5a2zh4r said:

See.. and I just can't blame Wilson for that throw. I can't. He put the ball exactly where it had to be on that particular play. If he throws it more inside, it bounces off Lock's shoulder and pops in the air where Browner is waiting to grab it. Bevell shouldn't have aired out Lockette immediately after the game, but he's right.. he did not do a good job fighting for the ball. And as Brady Quinn describes.. Lockette was clearly trying to body catch it..

http://www.footballbyfootball.com/colum ... ealing-int

Good article by Brady Quinn. I do wish he called out the pace of the players, as I can't escape what I see in the clips. Lockette is just not running the route fast enough. Almost like he's waiting to catch before accelerating. If he moves at speed, he gets there before the DB no matter what.

Tical21

Reaction score
He's got to go. You don't survive what he just did. A bunch of the fanbase is going to want to string him up every single time there is a playcall they disagree with. You just can't continue in this city after what he did.

svenge

Reaction score
Poll should've had a "hanged, drawn, and quartered" option.

/serious

Mojambo

Reaction score
Tical21":3nfpw2xd said:
A bunch of the fanbase is going to want to string him up every single time there is a playcall they disagree with. You just can't continue in this city after what he did.

He's worked under a fan base like that for two years. There's nothing new here, really.