Official: Seahawks Cut CB Cary Williams

chris98251

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3smidca1 said:
bjornanderson21":3smidca1 said:
Im getting so sick of posters on here giving Pete and John a pat on the back for cutting a bad player they gave a "big" contract to.

Is it better to cut bait? Yes.

Does it excuse them from REPEATEDLY giving money to players who aren't worth it? NOT ONE BIT.

If i stole $100 from you can gave $20 of it back, would you give me a pat on the back for returning $20 or would you be mad that i still stole $80?

Pete and John have done a HORRIBLE job of giving contracts to players from other teams. The best they have been able to do is get a small discount from Bennett and Avril on "prove it" deals that were still significant.

There's probably only 1 or 2 GMs in the NFL who have been as bad as Schneider at giving out contracts, and im being generous.

Schneider was good for 2 or 3 years, but he has been absolutely horrible the last 2-3 years.

But don't let his horrible trades and free agent signings and mediocre drafts stop you from patting him on the back...
You get upset easily.

Harvin isn't playing right now, he needs a new goat to sacrifice.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":c7notd0s said:
bjornanderson21":c7notd0s said:
Im getting so sick of posters on here giving Pete and John a pat on the back for cutting a bad player they gave a "big" contract to.

Does it excuse them from REPEATEDLY giving money to players who aren't worth it? NOT ONE BIT.

If i stole $100 from you can gave $20 of it back, would you give me a pat on the back for returning $20 or would you be mad that i still stole $80?

Pete and John have done a HORRIBLE job of giving contracts to players from other teams. The best they have been able to do is get a small discount from Bennett and Avril on "prove it" deals that were still significant.

There's probably only 1 or 2 GMs in the NFL who have been as bad as Schneider at giving out contracts, and im being generous.

Schneider was good for 2 or 3 years, but he has been absolutely horrible the last 2-3 years.

But don't let his horrible trades and free agent signings and mediocre drafts stop you from patting him on the back...
You get upset easily.

I guess we should just cut him after this season. I am sure there will be tons of GM's out there better than JS. I hope they still are not paying him. He is the WORST. Ewww...
I guess We will get rid of Tyler Lockett and Frank Clark. Oh and while we are at it lets see what we can get for Jimmy Graham. Sarcasm off.....

I have an idea let hire you for GM since it is so easy and you have all the insight..

Cartire

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":3fpcfdm7 said:

If i stole $100 from you and gave $20 of it back, would you give me a pat on the back for returning $20 or would you be mad that i still stole $80?

Please name a team that has never had a high contract bust. Would be sweet if we had a future reading machine so that these mistakes didnt happen, but until then, get over yourself.

Lazyfingers

Reaction score
Hire slow and fire quick. It's a good business model to live by if you want to maintain quality and growth.

chris98251

Reaction score
You go after what you think is going to be a help for your team, if the results don't pan out you find a better option, we do that well. We were kind of snake bit with Earl, Kam, Sherman, Lane, Simon and Burley all being dinged up,on IR, or coming off injuries. We took a shot and it missed, our coaches thought they could improve a player with coaching, the guy doesn't take well to being coached it seems either.

massari

Reaction score
The only problem I had/have with signing Cary Williams was the money given to him. Guys who are just as good and seemed to fit the Seahawks scheme signed 1 year 2M or 3M contracts while Williams gets a 3 year 18M with 7M guaranteed.

MrThortan

Reaction score
Dayum! Glad they can admit a mistake and move on. What they had seen to have warrant his paycheck I have no idea. Spending a high pick in the draft on a CB would not surprise me.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
jkitsune":14t0r096 said:
drdiags":14t0r096 said:
I figured this was going to happen. Just no way they could keep him on the team after the demotion. You saw it in his face from last week during the DBs circle. He had checked out. Best of luck to him, just didn't work out.

You called it. I thought you were exaggerating. You were not.

Dr D only exaggerates when discussing his golf prowess...........or lack thereof. :mrgreen:

Chapow

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":7l83kaex said:

If i stole $100 from you and gave $20 of it back, would you give me a pat on the back for returning $20 or would you be mad that i still stole $80?

Interesting. So you keep up to date on every single contract given out by every single GM in the NFL and how those contracts have worked out for those teams? That seems like a lot of information to keep track of and I seriously doubt you've done that. But it's either that or you pulled that statement straight out of your back side. My money is on the latter.

If John Schneider and the Seahawks parted ways, he would be the hottest GM candidate in the league. Teams would be fighting tooth and nail to hire him. Same goes for Pete.

Every GM and head coach in the league have made mistakes. Pete and John have had way more successes than they have had failures.

Don't know about you, but I'm going to go ahead and count acquiring Thomas Rawls as an undrafted free agent as one of their many successes. Jimmy Graham, Frank Clark, and Tyler Lockett were also all acquired this past off season either in the draft or with a draft pick. Getting 4 impact players, some would say difference makers, in one draft is pretty solid work IMO.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I really did think Richard, Seto, Carroll, etc. would be able to mold the raw product that is Cary Williams into a positive contributor. There were flashes of great play - and, of course, the natural length and athleticism that we covet was there - but Williams could never get his technique to a consistent level.

It's sad to see Walter Thurmond dominate this season for the Eagles, though I know he has switched to safety, so the argument could be made that he would not be successful here as a corner. There was just a lot of lost time and capital used to acquire and develop Williams. It has been a huge waste.

It's also too bad Tharold Simon has not been able to stay healthy. And I'm a little surprised at how little opportunity Tye Smith has received in games.

I just read that Carroll emphasized the fact that there wasn't enough time to get Williams acclimated to our technique and scheme. I wonder if the change in having Richard work on all aspects of the defense, rather than focusing his efforts on the secondary, has made it more difficult to develop guys like Williams on the fly. In contrast, Brandon Browner was able to step in almost immediately for us after being acquired in 2011.

Basis4day

Reaction score
massari":2zfaf0yg said:
The only problem I had/have with signing Cary Williams was the money given to him. Guys who are just as good and seemed to fit the Seahawks scheme signed 1 year 2M or 3M contracts while Williams gets a 3 year 18M with 7M guaranteed.

Which CBs?

Jville

Reaction score
Mistakes offer opportunities to learn.

Earlier in the year they cut lose a non productive former #2 wonder pick that sat on a roster spot for two years. The decision to move on to a very productive free agent rookie in the person of Thomas Rawls was a decision many of us are celebrating. Some think that lessons learned from that former #2 disappointment motivated Carroll to zero in on Thomas Rawls during the 2015 draft.

Roster decisions are imperfect. But, the Seahawks continue to demonstrate the ability to recognize and learn from mistakes. For me, it's a joy to follow along and learn a thing or two over the course of each season.

drdiags

Reaction score
LymonHawk":1g0nsfjb said:
jkitsune":1g0nsfjb said:
drdiags":1g0nsfjb said:
I figured this was going to happen. Just no way they could keep him on the team after the demotion. You saw it in his face from last week during the DBs circle. He had checked out. Best of luck to him, just didn't work out.

You called it. I thought you were exaggerating. You were not.

Dr D only exaggerates when discussing his golf prowess...........or lack thereof. :mrgreen:

You joker you. :stirthepot: :thirishdrinkers:

My golf game does stink to high heaven though. Dang It!

kearly

Reaction score
His base salary of $3.5 million this season was guaranteed as was his $3.5 million signing bonus. So $7 million lost, though any veteran free agent corner in his prime would cost about the same. A 32 year old Tramon Williams (the guy who gave up the game winning bomb to Kearse in the NFCCG) got more money than Cary Williams did.

If this is considered a big mistake for JS then it's only because he is part of the best organization in the NFL. The team made a value based decision and it didn't work out. Cary Williams in his prime is a better value than a 32 year old Tramon Williams. But even moneyball moves fail sometimes. Mariners fans will long remember Chone Figgins.

As far as Williams being cut. Pete has a long history of cutting or trading under-performing players between February and September. But if you are making a hefty paycheck and Pete cuts your ass during the season, it's pretty much always because of attitude and not buying in.

I don't know anything to prove it, but the way that Williams was benched and deactivated so quickly, and then cut for zero cash savings makes me think this decision came down to more than some on-field struggles.

CANHawk

Reaction score
I approve of this. Gary Walters or whatever his name is was bad at football playing.

He single handedly turned the legion of boom into the legion of extraordinarily average. I hope he gets something he didn't want very much for Christmas and loses the gift receipt.

massari

Reaction score
kearly":2s0pqail said:
His base salary of $3.5 million this season was guaranteed as was his $3.5 million signing bonus. So $7 million lost, though any veteran free agent corner in his prime would cost about the same. A 32 year old Tramon Williams (the guy who gave up the game winning bomb to Kearse in the NFCCG) got more money than Cary Williams did.

If this is considered a big mistake for JS then it's only because he is part of the best organization in the NFL. The team made a value based decision and it didn't work out. Cary Williams in his prime is a better value than a 32 year old Tramon Williams. But even moneyball moves fail sometimes. Mariners fans will long remember Chone Figgins.
Like the Mariners, the Browns likely have to overpay to get FA's to sign with them. Probably the case with Tramon.

Is/was Cary Williams that much better than veteran CB free agents Alan Ball (1 year 3M / 1M guaranteed) and Charles Tillman (1 year 2M / 350k guaranteed) to warrant getting 3 years 18M / 7M guaranteed?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":3kie3j4e said:

Uhm... Thats the point of team building... Every GM in every type of league, have a few of those situations. Hell, every employer in the entire world, have a few of those situations.

But yeah cry about like its the worst thing ever imaginable.

I'd give props to PC/JS, they make some pretty ballsy moves in hope to make this team more dominant in vision. or what they think is best for the team at the time in circumstance. Sometimes it don't work, and at least they have the tact and humility to admit that they're wrong and move on for the better. Not many men, people in general, in this day and age and world, do.