Official: Seahawks Cut CB Cary Williams

kpak76

Reaction score
Cyrus12":yxp5fw9i said:
so now Hawks are hit with a huge cap penalty???

Do you know how the penelty works? It only last for this year. In other words, we are hit with him for the same amount of time if he isn't on the roster as if he was. In other words, all this does is opens up a roster spot for someone useful.

Yes this was a miss by our FO, but they've had far more hits than missess. All this hand wringing is stupid by some poeple.

Bryce84

Reaction score
I feel like this signing has had the most to do with any chemistry issues the team has had in the secondary. Kam likely saw how much money Cary was making after watching him in training camp and couldn't believe the front office would pay him that much, thus sparking his holdout when he did it. I gotta think the Legion of Boom comes down to respect, and if the front office is going to sign someone to be in the Legion they better have respect of the Legion, seems pretty clear Cary did not fit that bill.

People calling for the front office to not sign any more free agents is laughable. Michael Bennett? Cliff Avril? Steven Hauschka? Ahtyba Rubin seems to be filling in nicely too. Just like in the draft, you aren't going to hit on every pickup.

HawkGA

Reaction score
kidhawk":2ogq24mm said:
HawkGA":2ogq24mm said:
I've always read that it counts immediately against the cap when they are cut, so I don't know if there's a loophole somewhere that I don't know about that allows them to carry it into next year or if there was a restructure of a contract.

I looked it up in the most recent CBA and on page 59 (f) it states that any player signing bonus will be accelerated into the next year. so that means that we will still retain the $1.4 million we have now, of course subtracting for anyone we sign or promote to take his place on the roster.

Does this last part hold true? That is, if we sign somebody up, they probably won't count in the Top 53 or whatever contracts that count towards the salary cap. The big question is probably weather Williams continues to count in that number or if he truly is dead money (that salary counts against the cap, but doesn't count in the Top 53-or whatever).

I'm not 100% on it, but I'm fairly certain that the top salaries are only counted from players on the roster. Dead money is exactly that....dead money. It counts towards the roster no matter what. It doesn't have any affect on the top salaries counting against the cap.

Thank you. So basically it does accelerate, just not to this season (which is a thing to consider having happen, glad it doesn't although it would be nice to not have to pay for it next year).

mrt144

Reaction score
Bryce84":6d4efa53 said:
I feel like this signing has had the most to do with any chemistry issues the team has had in the secondary. Kam likely saw how much money Cary was making after watching him in training camp and couldn't believe the front office would pay him that much, thus sparking his holdout when he did it. I gotta think the Legion of Boom comes down to respect, and if the front office is going to sign someone to be in the Legion they better have respect of the Legion, seems pretty clear Cary did not fit that bill.

People calling for the front office to not sign any more free agents is laughable. Michael Bennett? Cliff Avril? Steven Hauschka? Ahtyba Rubin seems to be filling in nicely too. Just like in the draft, you aren't going to hit on every pickup.

Aint that the truth.

Boom84

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":8e9tcub9 said:
Similar to Percy, at least they can admit it was a mistake and cut their loses.

Yes, the good news in this is the front office cut their loses quickly after the coaching staff could no longer tolerate the poor on-field performance. Many, many organizations in the NFL fail to recognize the signs and make the necessary moves in a timely fashion, so once again I'm ecstatic with John Schneider and staff for not allowing this to become an exacerbated issue and drag the team down. Why I LOVE this team!!! :th2thumbs:

kidhawk

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":2jrjnaxi said:
Last I heard, we were paying 3.5 mil to sit on the bench. Next years 7 mil was not guaranteed.

Maybe one of the other NFC West teams picks him up. :pray:

His contract was actually:

2015 - $3.5 million guaranteed

2016 - $5 million

2017 - $ 6 million

Signing Bonus was $4 million....in the end we will have paid him $7.5 million for his services this season

HawkGA

Reaction score
Game checks are guaranteed or everybody on the roster Week 1 (or after the final cutdown from preseason, I'm not quite sure when they set the date).

drdiags

Reaction score
Polaris":e203h8j3 said:
Hasselbeck":e203h8j3 said:
Really surprised they did it now considering the depth but I guess they didn't want him out there at any cost anymore.

My best guess? I think Cary Williams quickly soured on the organization after being benched, and was cut before he could poison anyone else. That's not a nice thing to say, but it's my guess. #Shades of Percy Harvin

I remember him speaking out about Chip Kelly's practice regiment. I think it would have just been a matter of time before he would have voiced his displeasure about being benched here. It was a tough change to his technique that in the end he couldn't trust what he was being coached to do. I could see him getting picked up by a playoff team.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'm thinking Doc was right and the chemistry issue was due to Williams.

Hopefully this wakes Chancellor up a bit too. Yea, Williams got paid, but didn't even last to see the season out. Kam isn't earning his paycheck yet either, this year, and this might be a shot fired across his bow.

Anyone know what we're looking at for CB depth ? On the depth chart it shows Lane, it also shows Tye Smith. I had thought Smith was on IR. If true, we know who just took Williams' spot.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
2Cool4School":3426eofg said:
Finally, why did they even sign him in the first place.

It's really mind blowing that you have asked this question dozens of times.

We badly needed a corner, he fit the size requirement for our secondary and I'm sure the FO felt they could coach him up similar to how they saved Brandon Browner's career. It failed, they moved on.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
drdiags":1kgcn1by said:
Polaris":1kgcn1by said:
Hasselbeck":1kgcn1by said:
Really surprised they did it now considering the depth but I guess they didn't want him out there at any cost anymore.

My best guess? I think Cary Williams quickly soured on the organization after being benched, and was cut before he could poison anyone else. That's not a nice thing to say, but it's my guess. #Shades of Percy Harvin

I remember him speaking out about Chip Kelly's practice regiment. I think it would have just been a matter of time before he would have voiced his displeasure about being benched here. It was a tough change to his technique that in the end he couldn't trust what he was being coached to do. I could see him getting picked up by a playoff team.

Could very well be the case. I'm sure stuff will come out about it if so.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well the hard feelings and disgruntled aspect of the LOB should be fixed now, Kam may not have been happy with him, now he can have some solace in that he was correct and that he is gone. Hope he can move on as well and be the player we all come to love to watch much like ADB has after Harvin.

Latest posts