Official: Seahawks Cut CB Cary Williams

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
massari":2i42x6je said:
kearly":2i42x6je said:
His base salary of $3.5 million this season was guaranteed as was his $3.5 million signing bonus. So $7 million lost, though any veteran free agent corner in his prime would cost about the same. A 32 year old Tramon Williams (the guy who gave up the game winning bomb to Kearse in the NFCCG) got more money than Cary Williams did.

If this is considered a big mistake for JS then it's only because he is part of the best organization in the NFL. The team made a value based decision and it didn't work out. Cary Williams in his prime is a better value than a 32 year old Tramon Williams. But even moneyball moves fail sometimes. Mariners fans will long remember Chone Figgins.
Like the Mariners, the Browns likely have to overpay to get FA's to sign with them. Probably the case with Tramon.

Is/was Cary Williams that much better than veteran CB free agents Alan Ball (1 year 3M / 1M guaranteed) and Charles Tillman (1 year 2M / 350k guaranteed) to warrant getting 3 years 18M / 7M guaranteed?

Ball is the only one that may have been considered.. but he struggled in Jacksonville, and that wouldn't exactly bode well for success in Seattle.

Tillman was never an option given his injury history, especially since injuries put us in the market for a corner to begin with.

Again.. Cary Williams was the best choice given this system and our available cap. It didn't work out.. not every move does.. that's sports.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
kearly":2v1tcu3u said:
As far as Williams being cut. Pete has a long history of cutting or trading under-performing players between February and September. But if you are making a hefty paycheck and Pete cuts your ass during the season, it's pretty much always because of attitude and not buying in.

I don't know anything to prove it, but the way that Williams was benched and deactivated so quickly, and then cut for zero cash savings makes me think this decision came down to more than some on-field struggles.

I agree with your insight. Mighty suspicious.

olyfan63

Reaction score
They were probably patient with him, so patient we lost the Cincinnati, Carolina, and Arizona games waiting for him to "get it". Crappy, untrustworthy CB play in our system affects the other guys.
Did anybody ever break down the Greg Olson TD that won the game for Carolina to know what Williams/ effect was on that one?

Kudos to Pete for moving on. I'm sure the Harvin experience was fresh in mind, and I suspect Williams did something that evoked memories of Harvin. Pete and John learned a ton on that one... Harvin checked all the boxes for Borderline Personality Disorder.

I don't have any data to say that Williams is anything other than a normal, prideful guy who wasn't "getting it" and had a dumb blowup when he got benched. For speculation amusement, if Williams had some aspects of a cluster B personality disorder, here are some things he would have done during the season:
1) Rearrange facts, data, sequences of events in his head to match his emotions, i.e., have an alternate reality where he is the greatest CB ever, and is doing his job perfectly, and if's everybody else who needs to change
2) Had a physical blowup where he attacked teammates and or coaches (Harvin did both). I doubt this occurred, as the release would have mentioned, "conduct detrimental to the team"
3) Had an emotional verbal blowup, where he shared his warped version of reality, blamed everyone else, and basically showed that not only wasn't he ever going to "get" it, he didn't buy in and would continue to do his thing and to hell with the coaching.

My bet would be he had a verbal tantrum a couple weeks ago when he was benched before the Pittsburgh game and blamed everyone and everything else. Pete probably gave him the following week to calm down and buy in and compete to win his job back. Instead of competing, Williams continued to whine and criticize and play the victim.

After the Harvin experience, it was an easy choice for Pete and John to cut their losses.
Maybe we find out in Sherman's tell-all book, due out in 2017. Sorry, kidding about the book, but who knows, maybe he is working on a book, being a Stanford guy and all.

Rob12

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":28k0sa1c said:
Im getting so sick of posters on here giving Pete and John a pat on the back for cutting a bad player they gave a "big" contract to.

Is it better to cut bait? Yes.

Does it excuse them from REPEATEDLY giving money to players who aren't worth it? NOT ONE BIT.

If i stole $100 from you and gave $20 of it back, would you give me a pat on the back for returning $20 or would you be mad that i still stole $80?

Pete and John have done a HORRIBLE job of giving contracts to players from other teams. The best they have been able to do is get a small discount from Bennett and Avril on "prove it" deals that were still significant.

There's probably only 1 or 2 GMs in the NFL who have been as bad as Schneider at giving out contracts, and im being generous.

Schneider was good for 2 or 3 years, but he has been absolutely horrible the last 2-3 years.

But don't let his horrible trades and free agent signings and mediocre drafts stop you from patting him on the back...

Good grief man, I bet you're a blast to hang out with.

What you expect is perfection in the personnel department, and that's not realistic. Teams miss on signings sometimes. He had a decent track record of being an average to slightly above average corner whom the coaches felt they could coach up in this scheme. Perhaps he didn't buy into that. But to sit here and MMQB the Williams signing is employing arrogant revisionism.

He couldn't cut it. The FO moved on. I don't see how that could you make you "sick and tired" of anything.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Like the Percy cutting, word of what was really going on may leak out, but up to now the team has been very PC about how they describe Williams and supporting him.

Though it may turn out that it is just a roster move and there was no discord off the field. We have been carrying essentially a 52 man roster, and with Williams benched it was a 51 man roster. We can do 52, did it with Percy, but 51 starts to affect special teams too much.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1wfh1k39 said:
Like the Percy cutting, word of what was really going on may leak out, but up to now the team has been very PC about how they describe Williams and supporting him.

Though it may turn out that it is just a roster move and there was no discord off the field. We have been carrying essentially a 52 man roster, and with Williams benched it was a 51 man roster. We can do 52, did it with Percy, but 51 starts to affect special teams too much.

Couldn't Williams have played special teams though? If he fails at corner, fine. But he had the tools to be an excellent special teams player rest of season without any extra financial cost for this season (cutting Williams now versus the offseason provided zero financial savings).

Seattle will have to write a paycheck for whoever replaces Williams on the roster, so in a sense they basically paid money to make Williams go away.

Seymour

Reaction score
kearly":q9jes08i said:
Scottemojo":q9jes08i said:

Couldn't Williams have played special teams though? If he fails at corner, fine. But he had the tools to be an excellent special teams player rest of season without any extra financial cost for this season (cutting Williams now versus the offseason provided zero financial savings).

Seattle will have to write a paycheck for whoever replaces Williams on the roster, so in a sense they basically paid money to make Williams go away.

Sure! If you don't mind him being tied up in arm grab games as the return man just blazes by. The guy was crap at pretty much everything.

massari

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3g4cw5tb said:
massari":3g4cw5tb said:
kearly":3g4cw5tb said:
His base salary of $3.5 million this season was guaranteed as was his $3.5 million signing bonus. So $7 million lost, though any veteran free agent corner in his prime would cost about the same. A 32 year old Tramon Williams (the guy who gave up the game winning bomb to Kearse in the NFCCG) got more money than Cary Williams did.

If this is considered a big mistake for JS then it's only because he is part of the best organization in the NFL. The team made a value based decision and it didn't work out. Cary Williams in his prime is a better value than a 32 year old Tramon Williams. But even moneyball moves fail sometimes. Mariners fans will long remember Chone Figgins.
Like the Mariners, the Browns likely have to overpay to get FA's to sign with them. Probably the case with Tramon.

Is/was Cary Williams that much better than veteran CB free agents Alan Ball (1 year 3M / 1M guaranteed) and Charles Tillman (1 year 2M / 350k guaranteed) to warrant getting 3 years 18M / 7M guaranteed?

Tillman was never an option given his injury history, especially since injuries put us in the market for a corner to begin with.
Tillman was an option though, the Seahawks brought him in to Seattle for a visit before he signed with Carolina.

I've just never understood why (given the difference in contracts) they'd choose to sign Williams over a cheaper FA veteran CB who seem to be just as good. :?

Oh well it's done now, no more venting lol.

Latest posts