Not picking up Irvin's 5th year option???

Rob12

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":1jaz8cx0 said:
If we could get a second round pick for him and they turned that into just as an example Coates and Marpet that is a move I'd like to see. I heard picking up his option is around 7million according to Groz and Bob not confirmed but if that's the case Irvin just isn't worth that kind of money . Then there's Wagner, O'Kung and Wilson to worry about .

I don't understand how anyone can think that Bruce could fetch us a second round pick.

That's not happening. You don't give up a second round pick for a 4-3 LB who is a good player, but will soon hit 30 and is not an elite player.

Jimmy Graham is a proven star. NO got the 31st pick for him.

In no market is Irvin worth a second.

Rob12

Reaction score
Hawks46":19wzlqos said:
This from the draft rumors article:

"In 2014, Irvin appeared in 15 games for the Seahawks and recorded 36 tackles, six sacks, two interceptions, a forced fumble and three pass defenses. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 11 outside linebacker in a 4-3 system out of 40 qualifying players."

Keep in mind, that's only in his 2nd year starting at OLB, at ANY level. He's on the verge of being very, very good. Thing is, we probably can't afford him, but I agree with most saying I'd rather keep him for this year. I'm not sure another 4th or 5th rounder really helps this team out as much as having a (most likely) improved Irvin on the field.

Once we sign Wilson, we're looking at a mini window. Guys are going to start dropping off that we can't afford. If we can draft really well and replace them, we're fine. Depending on how much we pay Wilson, we'll start to get cap room when the cap increases.

Maybe he is on the verge of being very, very good, but if he didn't become that in one of the most elite defenses in the NFL where opposing offenses have to account for our true stars, what makes people so sure that he'll be a star on a lesser team? I'm just not sure I follow that logic. He's a good player, and I have a feeling that's what he'll always be.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Rob12":iza4rv5l said:
Northwest Seahawk":iza4rv5l said:
If we could get a second round pick for him and they turned that into just as an example Coates and Marpet that is a move I'd like to see. I heard picking up his option is around 7million according to Groz and Bob not confirmed but if that's the case Irvin just isn't worth that kind of money . Then there's Wagner, O'Kung and Wilson to worry about .

I don't understand how anyone can think that Bruce could fetch us a second round pick.

That's not happening. You don't give up a second round pick for a 4-3 LB who is a good player, but will soon hit 30 and is not an elite player.

Jimmy Graham is a proven star. NO got the 31st pick for him.

In no market is Irvin worth a second.

Maybe but I'm sure some kind of deal could be worked out maybe swap second round picks with Atlanta AND we get a third, they get Bruce . Anyway it's just speculation isn't it.

cdallan

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":3a33jl6h said:
Embarrassment of riches.. Cant keep everyone unfortunately, so difficult decisions will need to be made.

Personally, I would have rather signed Irvin to a longer deal and let KJ walk.

This x1000. And some of us got a kicking on here for questioning the KJ contract. Irvin is a swiss army knife - we can do far more things with him.

netskier

Reaction score
I think he will go from good to great if paired with a great pocket crushing rusher, such as Suh, which I am sure the Falcons will try to draft. Speed kills, and Bruce has it.

titan3131

Reaction score
the hawks didn't initiate talks, but that means that we can over inflate Irvins value. Obviously if they make us a deal we can't refuse we do it.

And its about time we get some sort of deal from our ex coaches

A-Dog

Reaction score
This is thing thing that is missing here:

WHAT ABOUT OUR PASS RUSH?

We were already razor-thin last year, and we lost O'Brien Schofield to free agency. Avril and Bennett played a lot of downs last year and we all saw what happened to our pass rush after Avril went down in the Superbowl. The Seahawks have brought in a lot of potential edge rushers in free agency, even kicking the tires on Greg Hardy, but so far nobody has been brought in.

So right now Irvin is our #2 edge rusher behind Avril, with no experienced depth behind him.

Sure, if he left we can move K.J. Wright back to the SAM linebacker spot, which probably suits him better then WILL, and hope that Kevin Pierre-Louis can stay healthy and continue to progress at WILL. But we also lost Malcolm Smith, so we have very little depth should KPL not pan out or KJ or BW get injured.

At any rate, another edge rusher was already a priority... if we trade Irvin it becomes a huge need. And as some have said, why trade him for a 3rd round pick and lose him for this year if we could get one more cheap year from him and then get a comparable comp pick when he signs elsewhere in free agency?

There's only one reason I can think of for why we might make this trade: We are going to sign Justin Houston to an offer sheet. It's been speculated that if any team was going to do that it would be a winning team picking low, and that it would happen after the draft so that the picks would be future picks with lower present value. Well, that time is upon us. If we signed Houston we certainly wouldn't have room to re-up Irvin. At the same time, in terms of edge rushers, we wouldn't have nearly as much need for Irvin - his value to us would be greatly decreased.

So there you have it: We're getting Justin Houston

Rob12

Reaction score
cdallan":bcpoossc said:
Hawk_Nation":bcpoossc said:
Embarrassment of riches.. Cant keep everyone unfortunately, so difficult decisions will need to be made.

Personally, I would have rather signed Irvin to a longer deal and let KJ walk.

This x1000. And some of us got a kicking on here for questioning the KJ contract. Irvin is a swiss army knife - we can do far more things with him.

Is he worth $7-9M a season though? Even if you subtract KJ's extension? We're a cap strapped team. It's a tough call because I really do love Bruce and what he brings... But man, that's a lot of coin.

Rob12

Reaction score
A-Dog":1tx1uyhm said:

We were already razor-thin last year, and we lost O'Brien Schofield to free agency. Avril and Bennett played a lot of downs last year and we all saw what happened to our pass rush after Avril went down in the Superbowl. The Seahawks have brought in a lot of potential edge rushers in free agency, even kicking the tires on Greg Hardy, but so far nobody has been brought in.

So right now Irvin is our #2 edge rusher behind Avril, with no experienced depth behind him.

Sure, if he left we can move K.J. Wright back to the SAM linebacker spot, which probably suits him better then WILL, and hope that Kevin Pierre-Louis can stay healthy and continue to progress at WILL. But we also lost Malcolm Smith, so we have very little depth should KPL not pan out or KJ or BW get injured.

At any rate, another edge rusher was already a priority... if we trade Irvin it becomes a huge need. And as some have said, why trade him for a 3rd round pick and lose him for this year if we could get one more cheap year from him and then get a comparable comp pick when he signs elsewhere in free agency?

There's only one reason I can think of for why we might make this trade: We are going to sign Justin Houston to an offer sheet. It's been speculated that if any team was going to do that it would be a winning team picking low, and that it would happen after the draft so that the picks would be future picks with lower present value. Well, that time is upon us. If we signed Houston we certainly wouldn't have room to re-up Irvin. At the same time, in terms of edge rushers, we wouldn't have nearly as much need for Irvin - his value to us would be greatly decreased.

Don't forget about Marsh.

Definitely a valid question, though. Our pass rush is better with Bruce.

Rob12

Reaction score
A-Dog":k5sp7hn4 said:

I'd love that, but how feasible is it? Or are you yanking our chains?

Wilson, Wagner, Graham, and Houston in one offseason? I don't know if a cap magician exists that could make that a reality.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Irvin is probably too valuable to lose this year. He can set the edge better than anyone, is very solid in coverage, and can rush the passer from the LEO position on 3rd downs. An already amazing athlete, he is in great shape and looks poised for a breakout season. His salary ($2,895,542) is a bargain.

Keeping him gives us a year to develop KPL at WLB and to find another reliable pass rusher at LEO via the draft. When we lose Irvin next year, we will likely gain a 4th or 5th Round compensatory pick. Irvin's skill set would be best showcased in a 3-4 scheme, where he would have more opportunities to attack the backfield on first and second downs. I would only consider trading him away for a 2nd or high-to-mid 3rd Round pick.

Atradees

Reaction score
If Irvin could get us towards the top of the second round I would be surprised.

At times he looked real good in coverage......Yep he is long in the tooth and the guy I least want paid.

If we have 11 picks then six of those aint making the team......Trade up! Sounds like a win too me.

Liked the "Its a Business" quote. To me that says we are gonna get something done.

original poster

Reaction score
I'm expecting a package deal personally.

Irvin plus one of our picks for their second and we go aggressive for DGB.

Picking twice in the second would be lovely.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I for one would be sad to see Bruce go... I love that dude and his story and his development. Everything about that guy is awesome.

themunn

Reaction score
5th year option = 8 million fully guaranteed in 2016

I have a hunch I know why they're not picking it up

And not because it's too much - if we keep Irvin on 7-8m a year I'd be happy.
It's not very cap flexible though is it?

original poster

Reaction score
Throwdown":2bl8sxkq said:
I for one would be sad to see Bruce go... I love that dude and his story and his development. Everything about that guy is awesome.

I would as well. He's going to absolutely explode this year in my opinion.

McGruff

Reaction score
Bruce Irvin will not get 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick money in 2016. He's a solid pplayer playing a non-premium position. 3rd and 4th round comps are for big names and premium positions. Thosee are the guys who get the contracts.

I'm just saying, don't start there for negotiations.

IMO Bruce's value is about 4th round . . . and if we trade him it will be as part of a package to get an early 2nd round pick. I've read some reports saying 1st round, which ain't gonna happen. \

IMO I'd rather have Bruce on the team in 2015 even if it means losing him in 2016. But I also know the team loves Kevin Pierre Lewis and views him as a starter. I happen to agree.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
If they offered up a 3rd this year, heck yes. He's a good player, but not worth almost 8 mil next season in 2016 imo.

McGruff

Reaction score
dopeboy206":1cc5nm9d said:
Man I rather lose K.J. Wright over Bruce Irvin.

I agree, but that ship has sailed. KJ Wright is the 2nd highest paid 4-3 OLB in the league . . . wow.

If we can get 3rd round value from Irvin I think its a good move. Any less and while the value would be commensurate with Irvin's production and pay . . . I'd rather have him on the team.