Not picking up Irvin's 5th year option???

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Trading Irvin would be a very smart move.

He is a decent enough player, but our worst starter on defense, and just won't be worth a FA deal when his contract expires.

He is probably the easiest to replace with a rookie, out of all our starting defense.

Trading him would free up some current cap space as well as create another roster spot.

I would LOVE to see us get an early pick for him in this year's draft. More ammo to get players we need.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
cdallan":3r2m7jh6 said:
Hawk_Nation":3r2m7jh6 said:
Embarrassment of riches.. Cant keep everyone unfortunately, so difficult decisions will need to be made.

Personally, I would have rather signed Irvin to a longer deal and let KJ walk.

This x1000. And some of us got a kicking on here for questioning the KJ contract. Irvin is a swiss army knife - we can do far more things with him.

I completely disagree, KJ is the better OLB and can also play MLB. He has a great head on his shoulders and more of a leader than Bruce. Bruce is more talented with more upside, but plug in KPL, Malcom Smith, or let some rookies compete and I expect zero cutoff in play from the position, possibly even less penalties and mistakes made.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
McGruff":1c7xfo1q said:
Bruce Irvin will not get 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick money in 2016. He's a solid pplayer playing a non-premium position. 3rd and 4th round comps are for big names and premium positions. Thosee are the guys who get the contracts.

I'm just saying, don't start there for negotiations.

IMO Bruce's value is about 4th round . . . and if we trade him it will be as part of a package to get an early 2nd round pick. I've read some reports saying 1st round, which ain't gonna happen. \

IMO I'd rather have Bruce on the team in 2015 even if it means losing him in 2016. But I also know the team loves Kevin Pierre Lewis and views him as a starter. I happen to agree.

KPL was looking very god before his injury, he is as fast as Irvin but a smart player. Maybe not as physically imposing but that is what KJ is here for. I don't see any drop off in production from that position but KPL is much cheaper than Irvin and those cap dollars can be saved for Wilson.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":2jqbm6j2 said:
Trading Irvin would be a very smart move.

He is a decent enough player, but our worst starter on defense, and just won't be worth a FA deal when his contract expires.

He is probably the easiest to replace with a rookie, out of all our starting defense.

Trading him would free up some current cap space as well as create another roster spot.

I would LOVE to see us get an early pick for him in this year's draft. More ammo to get players we need.

Worst starter on defense? Where do you get that when we are breaking in a new starter at RCB (and probably SCB with Lane out) and when McDaniel's production has declined at the three technique?

We may need two separate players to replace Irvin . . . an OLB for depth on first and second downs, and another LEO pass rushing option for obvious passing situations.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I don't see this trade happening.

If Quinn wants Irvin he can just wait a year for when he hits FA.

Basically, to trade for him would be a one year rental for an average starter. How much would someone give up for a one year rental for an average starter? It's why a 5th rounder sounds about right, with a 4th rounder on the high end.

And because the comp system is totally broken (I won't go on a tear about this, but will say that my favorite team BENEFITS from its brokeness and I still think it should be abolished :D ) the Seahawks could get that same 5th rounder a year later for Irvin (with a 4th rounder on the high end) and still have him in their window this year before big money for Wagner and Wilson hits.

Long story short, I'd be surprised if this happens. I'd guess Quinn is interested and the Seahawks are interested but because of the particularities there's not actually a trade that makes sense for both sides.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Wenhawk":35h8tpya said:
cdallan":35h8tpya said:
Hawk_Nation":35h8tpya said:
Embarrassment of riches.. Cant keep everyone unfortunately, so difficult decisions will need to be made.

This x1000. And some of us got a kicking on here for questioning the KJ contract. Irvin is a swiss army knife - we can do far more things with him.

I completely disagree, KJ is the better OLB and can also play MLB. He has a great head on his shoulders and more of a leader than Bruce. Bruce is more talented with more upside, but plug in KPL, Malcom Smith, or let some rookies compete and I expect zero cutoff in play from the position, possibly even less penalties and mistakes made.

Malcolm Smith is gone. KPL needs to prove this year that he can stay health and play with consistency. Starting him now would not just leave uncertainty, it would leave zero proven depth at LB.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I don't see this happening either... unless another player is involved that we would get.

Irvin is more valuable to us as a starter this year at a salary of $1.6M (cap hit of $2.9M) than a 4th or 5th rounder this year.

My best guess is Pete and John are just saying that Bruce is not worth the $7M in 2016 if they were to pick up his 5th year option... nothing more, nothing less.

Regardless, it's something to talk about until this evening.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
My theory is this is a deal floated as a package if the guy Seattle really wants happens to fall to 42.

Something like Bruce + 63 for Falcons 2nd

lol at the Justin Houston theory though. That was a good one.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Popeyejones":raf9h61s said:
I don't see this trade happening.

If Quinn wants Irvin he can just wait a year for when he hits FA.

Basically, to trade for him would be a one year rental for an average starter. How much would someone give up for a one year rental for an average starter? It's why a 5th rounder sounds about right, with a 4th rounder on the high end.

And because the comp system is totally broken (I won't go on a tear about this, but will say that my favorite team BENEFITS from its brokeness and I still think it should be abolished :D ) the Seahawks could get that same 5th rounder a year later for Irvin (with a 4th rounder on the high end) and still have him in their window this year before big money for Wagner and Wilson hits.

Long story short, I'd be surprised if this happens. I'd guess Quinn is interested and the Seahawks are interested but because of the particularities there's not actually a trade that makes sense for both sides.
Trades with a year til free agency are not that uncommon. IF Quinn waits til next year, he has to negotiate vs several other landing spots. THe cost of exclusive rights for one year is high, in this case hopefully a 2nd rounder. I would guess Atlanta would not be thinking about doing this if there were not assurances Irvin would sign longer term. Like when Seattle traded for Harvin.

If is the key word here. If Quinn wants him that badly, Atlanta will overpay. If Seattle uses leverage properly, or if Seattle is waiting on a specific player to get to that pick before finalizing a deal is a big part of things.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Let's just say for funsies.. Jimmy Graham trade never happened at the beginning of FA and a 3-team trade blossomed tonight that looked like so..

Seahawks receive:
TE Jimmy Graham
42nd overall pick

Saints receive:
31st overall pick
C Max Unger

Falcons receive:
63rd overall pick
DE Bruce Irvin

That still looks like it strongly favors us, no? Even if Seattle kicks over something else to Atlanta in this deal.. when you look at both trades combined.. that still favors us.

After sleeping on it. I really want this deal to happen. Which means either it never comes together or we trade Bruce for a 6th in 2016 and the board melts down :lol:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Scottemojo":s30f11zu said:
Trades with a year til free agency are not that uncommon. IF Quinn waits til next year, he has to negotiate vs several other landing spots. THe cost of exclusive rights for one year is high, in this case hopefully a 2nd rounder. I would guess Atlanta would not be thinking about doing this if there were not assurances Irvin would sign longer term. Like when Seattle traded for Harvin.

If is the key word here. If Quinn wants him that badly, Atlanta will overpay. If Seattle uses leverage properly, or if Seattle is waiting on a specific player to get to that pick before finalizing a deal is a big part of things.

Yeah, they happen, but not really before the draft, and not really for starters. Things like this happen well after the draft when teams have depth at a position and someone who is overpaid or with starter ability who'd be riding the bench goes somewhere else. Factor in that negotiating a sign and trade with Irvin really can't be that high on the list of the Seahawks contract negotiations this offseason and it just becomes more improbable.

Basically, I'm not saying it WON'T happen, just that I don't think it will happen, because one of the sides will have to be pretty stupid to make it worth it to the other side. I'm simply operating under the assumption that neither side is angling to do something stupid over Bruce Irvin. Maybe Quinn would do something stupid if he was on the chopping block (the stupid thing either pays off or becomes the next guy's problem), but on the first year of his deal, why? And likewise, for the Hawks, having the strongest team possible for the last year of their window underpaying their starts has GOT to be more important than whatever incredibly long-term value they'd generate from trading Irvin this year rather than taking the comp for him two years from now (it's worth it to have an empty starting slot at a position for which you've alredy lost your depth this off-season to get a 4th or 5th rounder now rather than in 2017 when you'd need it more anyway? I just don't see it).

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1w7ofj6z said:
Scottemojo":1w7ofj6z said:

Yeah, they happen, but not really before the draft, and not really for starters. Things like this happen well after the draft when teams have depth at a position and someone who is overpaid or with starter ability who'd be riding the bench goes somewhere else. Factor in that negotiating a sign and trade with Irvin really can't be that high on the list of the Seahawks contract negotiations this offseason and it just becomes more improbable.

Basically, I'm not saying it WON'T happen, just that I don't think it will happen, because one of the sides will have to be pretty stupid to make it worth it to the other side. I'm simply operating under the assumption that neither side is angling to do something stupid over Bruce Irvin. Maybe Quinn would do something stupid if he was on the chopping block (the stupid thing either pays off or becomes the next guy's problem), but on the first year of his deal, why?

They don't have to S&T though. Irvin is under contract for this season and the Falcons could exercise his 5th year option immediately after acquiring him. They'd get him under a defacto 2-year/$10M deal for a draft pick of some sort

Not a bad deal if Irvin is someone they covet.

Largent80

Reaction score
I think they will wait until the draft actually starts before they make a deal if they even do. They have reportedly stated they have 16 players with 1st round grades.

I hope they keep Irvin myself.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Popeyejones":sn5l74ur said:
Scottemojo":sn5l74ur said:

Basically, I'm not saying it WON'T happen, just that I don't think it will happen, because one of the sides will have to be pretty stupid to make it worth it to the other side. I'm simply operating under the assumption that neither side is angling to do something stupid over Bruce Irvin. Maybe Quinn would do something stupid if he was on the chopping block (the stupid thing either pays off or becomes the next guy's problem), but on the first year of his deal, why?

Atlanta has talent on offense. They are not rebuilding the entire team, not with Ryan and AJ, so they need to get personnel that understand the Quinn D, and now. The South is an easy pickings division right now, he isn't competing with a great division. I won't be surprised to see a few Ex Seattle players on that squad by season's beginning, like with Jax. The owner was adamant when he fired the old coach that this was a win now move. Quinn's feet aren't to a fire, but results are expected to be quick.

Add to that that the Seattle D model is the NFL darling right now, can you believe what Philly paid to get one of the corners and what the Raiders paid for a backup linebacker, and a 2nd for Irvin becomes a correct price because competition for services next year. I don't for one second thing the Falcons have not reached out to Irvin's agent, if this thing goes down there will be a contract understanding in place. Tampering schmampering, that is what happens in the NFL. I am pretty sure when Boldin went to SF there were assurances in place, and that was for a 6th.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1ctuo9fq said:
cdallan":1ctuo9fq said:
Hawk_Nation":1ctuo9fq said:

I disagree. Bruce is the better OLB. He is better at getting to the quarterback and is better in coverage. KJ Wright might be a better tackler but that's it. I will take Bruce Irvin over K.J. Wright any day.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":212ra1hi said:
They don't have to S&T though. Irvin is under contract for this season and the Falcons could exercise his 5th year option immediately after acquiring him. They'd get him under a defacto 2-year/$10M deal for a draft pick of some sort

Not a bad deal if Irvin is someone they covet.

First round picks who are traded are not elligible to be signed to the fifth year team option by their new team.

Even if they were, there's not a snowball's chance in hell that Irvin would be getting 7 or 8 million on the first year of his deal if he hit FA, meaning that it would be all kinds of dumb for Quinn to trade for him and then pick up the option, even if he could (which he can't).

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Would you guys do Irvin + 3rd or 4th for a 2nd rounder and draft DGB and an OL in the 2nd???? Just imagine Matthews and DGB on the outside, Graham at TE...thats three tall ass dudes and put Richardson in the slot.

SeaChase

Reaction score
Good. They guy only showed up at the end of the 4th quarter anyways...

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1sqf47q1 said:
Atlanta has talent on offense. They are not rebuilding the entire team, not with Ryan and AJ, so they need to get personnel that understand the Quinn D, and now. The South is an easy pickings division right now, he isn't competing with a great division. I won't be surprised to see a few Ex Seattle players on that squad by season's beginning, like with Jax. The owner was adamant when he fired the old coach that this was a win now move. Quinn's feet aren't to a fire, but results are expected to be quick.

Add to that that the Seattle D model is the NFL darling right now, can you believe what Philly paid to get one of the corners and what the Raiders paid for a backup linebacker, and a 2nd for Irvin becomes a correct price because competition for services next year. I don't for one second thing the Falcons have not reached out to Irvin's agent, if this thing goes down there will be a contract understanding in place. Tampering schmampering, that is what happens in the NFL. I am pretty sure when Boldin went to SF there were assurances in place, and that was for a 6th.

I think there's absolutely no chance whatsoever that the Falcons trade a 2nd rounder straight up for Bruce Irvin before the end of tomorrow night. We simply disagree. If you want to wager on it name the terms... ;)

As for Boldin, there was no wink-wink deal. He played a full yrear on his Ravens deal on the 9ers and then signed an extension with the team the next off-season. For there to have been a wink-wink deal the 9ers would have to have known in advance that Crabtree was going to miss the entire season and that Boldin would have a better season than he'd had in years. They also didn't need a wink-wink deal as Boldin still had two years left on his deal (at the time everyone believed he was basically done and overpaid; why the 9ers only had to up their offer from a 7th to a 6th); the extension was based on his performance.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Id rather have 1 more year of Bruce and get the comp pick when he leaves next offseason, unless they swing some sort of ridiculous trade to get the Falcons' first rounder and turn that into Kevin White