Not picking up Irvin's 5th year option???

Tical21

Reaction score
You can't afford to pay a guy, who is at very best your 8th best defensive player, 8 million at the least or second least important position on the field, when the dropoff between him and an average replacement player is negligible. That is pass rusher money. You don't pay that to a LB that makes a handful of splash plays per season at most.

Mick063

Reaction score
He flashes at times, but in the playoffs he has very few memorable big plays.

Clem was hurt for the Atlanta playoff game and Irvin, our only hope for an edge rush, disappeared at crunch time. The following season, Seattle wins the Super Bowl, but it is Avril and Bennett that applied the pressure throughout the playoffs. Last season, Irvin had no memorable hits, let alone sacks, on gimpy Aaron Rogers in the playoffs and Brady had all day to throw in the Super Bowl after Avril left the game.

Sure Irvin looks great against Oakland, but come playoff time, I don't recall any major impact.

Good player but worth the high dollar second contract? More debatable than Carpenter, but still, he has not truly lived up to his potential when it comes to the playoffs.

Disagree with me all you want to, but the proof is in the pudding. The front office is looking to salvage what they can from a good, not great, player. They are not going to pay the high asking price.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Blitzer88":24dtpkoo said:
This is somewhat surprising.....................Irvin played well last year for us.

Not in the slightest imo. I would've been incredibly shocked if they did pick up his 7.2m option. He's a solid to good LB, but not worth 7.2m which is about the AAV equivalent of Bennett or Avril's contract. Wilson & Wagner's contracts are going to eat up a big majority of the remaining cap space.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
His projected comp pick would be a 4th. So I'm guessing we'd ask for a 3rd from the Falcons.. getting their 2nd rounder would be nice.. but doesn't seem likely anymore.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I have always said that the team can't afford to tie up that much money in 4-3 linebackers, especially since they are already paying premium prices for DL and LOB. This move doesn't really surprise me. They either sign him for less or move on.

Edit: Falcons' 2nd rounder? Sounds like a pipe dream. Only Seattle trades away premium picks like that for players nearing or at a payday. Bruce is an athletic freak, but he is not a significant name in this league.

jake206

Reaction score
Actually, if a trade were to occur, it wouldn't be a straight up Irvin for 2nd round pick. But instead, I could see them using Irvin as ammo like an extra 3rd-4th round pick to move their 2nd round pick up a couple spots.

Irvin + our 2nd (63) for Atlanta's 2nd (42), but again it would have to be for the right player. I don't see Schneider pulling the trigger on this unless he really sees somebody that can make an impact.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
jake206":1qhuwavi said:
Actually, if a trade were to occur, it wouldn't be a straight up Irvin for 2nd round pick. But instead, I could see them using Irvin as ammo like an extra 3rd-4th round pick to move their 2nd round pick up a couple spots.

Irvin + our 2nd (63) for Atlanta's 2nd (42), but again it would have to be for the right player. I don't see Schneider pulling the trigger on this unless he really sees somebody that can make an impact.

Yep. That's the only way we are getting their 2nd rounder. Bruce for a 2 is not happening.

Or.. they move Bruce for a 3 and package some picks to trade up. Because this team is not keeping 12 picks. There's no way.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":asmq2jka said:
jake206":asmq2jka said:

Yep. That's the only way we are getting their 2nd rounder. Bruce for a 2 is not happening.

Or.. they move Bruce for a 3 and package some picks to trade up. Because this team is not keeping 12 picks. There's no way.

If everything holds up they'll have like 20 picks for this draft and the 2016 draft combined.

Melencause

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":9elu37qb said:
CurryStopstheRuns":9elu37qb said:
saroos":9elu37qb said:
Trade to Atlanta and swap 2nd round picks for the hawks to draft Dorial Green_Beckham is my prediction.

Uhm,,,,,the Falcons would have to give up their second for Bruce. No swapping involved.

Unless they would like to give us Julio Jones in the deal ;)

Or Desmond Trufant.

Melencause

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2osxl5a6 said:
Hasselbeck":2osxl5a6 said:
Wow.. I really don't know about moving Bruce in a contract year. Especially since our pass rush leaves a lot to be desired right now.

Really hope that's a false rumor. Would rather keep him for one more year and let him walk to get the comp pick than outright trade him.

Yeah, my initial thought is that I would rather have Bruce this year. He was really becoming a good linebacker last season and we could use an extra year of this Defense together.

Ya Bruce was starting to show how good he can be... but he's 28 now.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
chris98251":3dsrpwjq said:
Irvin and Christine Michael.

Irvin, Michael, a fifth and a fourth for their 1st and second round pick. We use the first pick to select Gurley or Gordon to replace Michael and back up Lynch.

jake206

Reaction score
Let's be realistic, no way Atlanta values Christine Michael. RB are dime a dozen in this draft. I don't care how much he's improved. Does Atlanta like some our players? Bruce Irvin yes, Michael Bennett definitely YES. But ...Christine Michael. Come on.

chris98251

Reaction score
jake206":3r7fe717 said:
Let's be realistic, no way Atlanta values Christine Michael. RB are dime a dozen in this draft. I don't care how much he's improved. Bruce Irvin yes, Michael Bennett definitely YES. But ...Christine Michael. Come on.

Why they have been trying to find one for three years right?

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
jake206":3g6ff3pg said:
Let's be realistic, no way Atlanta values Christine Michael. RB are dime a dozen in this draft. I don't care how much he's improved. Bruce Irvin yes, Michael Bennett definitely YES. But ...Christine Michael. Come on.

Oh come on, speculation is fun.

On a serious note, I think Michael would benefit playing more in Atlanta then in Seattle. I mean not soon is he going to become the starter. Atlanta has a need at RB and Michael would get more starting experience and more time to get his fumbles down. I think it would benefit him in that way.

jake206

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DOrlandoAJC/status/593644548624101376[/tweet]

Seattle linebacker Bruce Irvin, who recently told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution he wanted to play for the Falcons, is reportedly being discussed in a trade, according to Pro Football Talk.

Bruce told AJ-C he wants to play for the Falcons??

massari

Reaction score
jake206":3cbn5vvf said:

Why would the Hawks do this if they can use Irvin for this coming season and get a 3rd round comp pick next draft?

It'd make sense if it's Irvin straight up for ATL's #42 pick.

No way in hell I'd trade Irvin+#63 for #42.

2_0_6

Reaction score
guys on the Falcons Forums are thinking they are getting him for a 4th or 5th. If that's the return, I say just hold onto him and let the year play out.

rideaducati

Reaction score
It's about time Schneider traded a starter for a good draft pick. I hope it happens for at least a second round pick. The Seahawks need a lot of draft picks because they only have 42 players under contract for next year. They need to get guys in so they can learn this year and be ready to play next year.

jake206

Reaction score
massari":2yj2m6tu said:
jake206":2yj2m6tu said:

Why would the Hawks do this if they can use Irvin for this coming season and get a 3rd round comp pick next draft?

It'd make sense if it's Irvin straight up for ATL's #42 pick.

No way in hell I'd trade Irvin+#63 for #42.

3rd-rounder comp...is basically a top of 4th round pick. Do the Seahawks really need that many picks? Moving a late 2nd rounder and 4th round pick to jump to the top of the 2nd round is not unheard of.

Latest posts