Not picking up Irvin's 5th year option???

gowazzu02

Reaction score
I think you guys are really over estimating the value that Irvin has. He's our guy. I get it. But he's an average OLB, he's an undersized one trick pony DE.

All this KJ hate is really baffling.....

Popeyejones

Reaction score
gowazzu02":2gqsog45 said:
I think you guys are really over estimating the value that Irvin has. He's our guy. I get it. But he's an average OLB, he's an undersized one trick pony DE.

Yep. Funny thing how once fans start fantasizing about what SOMEONE ELSE would give them for a player his ability starts to skyrocket.

If Bruce Irvin was actually WORTH a second round pick for the last year of his deal, nobody would want to trade him in the first place. :lol:

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Popeyejones":23yfhgo6 said:
Scottemojo":23yfhgo6 said:
Atlanta has talent on offense. They are not rebuilding the entire team, not with Ryan and AJ, so they need to get personnel that understand the Quinn D, and now. The South is an easy pickings division right now, he isn't competing with a great division. I won't be surprised to see a few Ex Seattle players on that squad by season's beginning, like with Jax. The owner was adamant when he fired the old coach that this was a win now move. Quinn's feet aren't to a fire, but results are expected to be quick.

Add to that that the Seattle D model is the NFL darling right now, can you believe what Philly paid to get one of the corners and what the Raiders paid for a backup linebacker, and a 2nd for Irvin becomes a correct price because competition for services next year. I don't for one second thing the Falcons have not reached out to Irvin's agent, if this thing goes down there will be a contract understanding in place. Tampering schmampering, that is what happens in the NFL. I am pretty sure when Boldin went to SF there were assurances in place, and that was for a 6th.

I think there's absolutely no chance whatsoever that the Falcons trade a 2nd rounder straight up for Bruce Irvin before the end of tomorrow night. We simply disagree. If you want to wager on it name the terms... ;)

As for Boldin, there was no wink-wink deal. He played a full yrear on his Ravens deal on the 9ers and then signed an extension with the team the next off-season. For there to have been a wink-wink deal the 9ers would have to have known in advance that Crabtree was going to miss the entire season and that Boldin would have a better season than he'd had in years. They also didn't need a wink-wink deal as Boldin still had two years left on his deal (at the time everyone believed he was basically done and overpaid; why the 9ers only had to up their offer from a 7th to a 6th); the extension was based on his performance.
Not a wink wink deal, just an assurance the player won't be looking to head somewhere else ASAP.

I don't think a deal is likely either. It depends on too many variables to be likely.
I look at it like this. If Seattle trades him for anything but a 2nd, they screwed themselves. He is potentially, even likely, a late 3rd comp pick if he plays out and signs elsewhere. So if they trade him for a 3rd, they lose a year of fairly cheap service AND gain at best 20 some spots in the next draft for that 3rd rounder. If these talks are serious, Atlanta knows this, and it seems they initiated the talks, that would have to be the beginning point of talks, not the destination. Their first is out of the question, which leaves the second. Maybe with an additional lower value pick, but if I was JS I would insist on the 2nd. Anything else is dumb if Seattle is the seller, not the buyer.

Which is why it has to be for a specific player in this draft. That is the one and only thing that makes this good for the Hawks. But also does not seem like our style in drafting.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2oxxe082 said:
gowazzu02":2oxxe082 said:

Yep. Funny thing how once fans start fantasizing about what SOMEONE ELSE would give them for a player his ability starts to skyrocket.

If Bruce Irvin was actually WORTH a second round pick for the last year of his deal, nobody would want to trade him in the first place. :lol:
They would if the business model showed no room for a salary or if privately there were some strained relationships.

I know what the stats say about Bruce. I am one of a few who contended he developed into a special player, albeit one with a not glorious job last year.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Popeyejones":24gdfapm said:
Hasselbeck":24gdfapm said:
They don't have to S&T though. Irvin is under contract for this season and the Falcons could exercise his 5th year option immediately after acquiring him. They'd get him under a defacto 2-year/$10M deal for a draft pick of some sort

Not a bad deal if Irvin is someone they covet.

First round picks who are traded are not elligible to be signed to the fifth year team option by their new team.

Even if they were, there's not a snowball's chance in hell that Irvin would be getting 7 or 8 million on the first year of his deal if he hit FA, meaning that it would be all kinds of dumb for Quinn to trade for him and then pick up the option, even if he could (which he can't).

With the Seahawks not planning to exercise the fifth-year option Irvin, he could be traded to a new team during the draft, and that team could then exercise the option before the May 3 deadline.

Irvin had eight sacks as a rookie in 2012, and he added 6.5 in 2014.

Go on...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... o-atlanta/

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":25wkkxra said:
Popeyejones":25wkkxra said:
Hasselbeck":25wkkxra said:
They don't have to S&T though. Irvin is under contract for this season and the Falcons could exercise his 5th year option immediately after acquiring him. They'd get him under a defacto 2-year/$10M deal for a draft pick of some sort

Not a bad deal if Irvin is someone they covet.

First round picks who are traded are not elligible to be signed to the fifth year team option by their new team.

Even if they were, there's not a snowball's chance in hell that Irvin would be getting 7 or 8 million on the first year of his deal if he hit FA, meaning that it would be all kinds of dumb for Quinn to trade for him and then pick up the option, even if he could (which he can't).

With the Seahawks not planning to exercise the fifth-year option Irvin, he could be traded to a new team during the draft, and that team could then exercise the option before the May 3 deadline.

Irvin had eight sacks as a rookie in 2012, and he added 6.5 in 2014.

Go on...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... o-atlanta/

No problem:

Players marked with "N/A" are not eligible for the fifth-year option. That includes guys like Trent Richardson and A.J. Jenkins, who have been released or traded, making them ineligible

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/4/25/8 ... w-luck-rg3

Neither of the Browns’ 2012 first-round picks have fifth-year options to pick up: Trent Richardson was traded to the Colts, cut and signed by the Raiders, while Brandon Weeden was cut by the Browns and signed by the Cowboys.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... und-picks/

dopeboy206

Reaction score
gowazzu02":2amioa97 said:

What did KJ do that was so spectacular last season? Did u see how badly he got burned by Gronk in the SB? KJ is one of our slowest defenders who is overrated by 12s. He is not as good in coverage as many believes. He can't get to the QB as well as Irvin but one thing he can do better than Bruce is tackle. He isn't a playmaker but I guess u can say he is a good leader.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
I don't think any team would give up a 2nd for Irvin straight up but since we have 11 draft picks to play with they might.

aredub

Reaction score
There has to be more to this story than we are seeing. I don't think we off load Bruce just for a 4th round pick nor do I think the Falcons give us a 2nd round pick for him.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
dopeboy206":1glw4dgr said:
gowazzu02":1glw4dgr said:

What did KJ do that was so spectacular last season? Did u see how badly he got burned by Gronk in the SB? KJ is one of our slowest defenders who is overrated by 12s. He is not as good in coverage as many believes. He can't get to the QB as well as Irvin but one thing he can do better than Bruce is tackle. He isn't a playmaker but I guess u can say he is a good leader.

You're judging KJ by Gronkowski? Really? The best TE in the league will do that to anyone...

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Scottemojo":trbg0c7p said:
Not a wink wink deal, just an assurance the player won't be looking to head somewhere else ASAP.

No assurance was needed though, because Boldin stil had two years left on his deal.

On top of that -- which alone is enough -- we can add on that he was only traded in the first place because he wouldn't take a paycut and wanted to play out his deal (which at the time nobody thought he was worth; he had underperformed on it throughout his whole time in Baltimore, and was well into his 30s at that point).

Scottemojo":trbg0c7p said:
He is potentially, even likely, a late 3rd comp pick if he plays out and signs elsewhere.

Oh god no, not even close. There was only a single 3rd round comp pick awarded this year, which was awarded to the Chiefs for Albert signing a deal that averaged 10 million per. If Irvin was anywhere in the ball park of getting 10 million per the Hawks wouldn't wait a second to pick up his fifth year option at 7.

That 10 million per figure is also really on the low end given salary cap growth and where FA salaries are heading with the new spending floors and rookie scales. Remember that the NFL also limits the number of 3rd round picks awarded. For Irvin to net a third round comp pick after next year he'll need to sign a deal for 10 million per at the absolute lowest end possible, and 15 to 20 million per at the high end (the two 3rd round comps next year will be awarded for Suh at 19 million per and Revis at 14 million per).

gowazzu02

Reaction score
dopeboy206":2nq00rbf said:
gowazzu02":2nq00rbf said:

Judging him by one game vs the best TE in the game....best we've seen in a while.... He does his job very well. He's not asked to be flashy, he's asked to do his job make his tackles, and then when bobby is hurt step up into the middle and get by. He's also versatile enough that he can potentially guard big time TE's. Will he win every single matchup every game vs a big time TE???? No but there is no human out there that does.

McGruff

Reaction score
Bruce Irvin will not sign a 3rd or 4th round compensation contract in 2016.

Why?

Because he is a 4-3 OLB and they don't get paid that much.

Because he grades out only average as a 4-3 OLB and average doesn't get paid that much.

I see him landing in the same ballpark as James Carpenter, another average player at a non-premiumn position . . . 5 million per year and maybe a 5th round compensation.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
I don't think Irvin would net us the Falcons' 2nd rounder. For the 2nd rounder, we'd probably have to throw in our own 2nd rounder. 21 spots is a lot to move in the 2nd. Think about it... the Chargers had to give up Charlie Whitehurst and a 3rd rounder the next season to move up 20 spots in 2010.

Okay, bad example.

If we were bound and determined to move Irvin and hold on to #63, I think the best we could hope for is getting Atlanta's #73 pick for Irvin and our #130.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why teams have to decide on the 5th year before a guy has even played his 4th season?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":6m45grfv said:
Let's just say for funsies.. Jimmy Graham trade never happened at the beginning of FA and a 3-team trade blossomed tonight that looked like so..

Seahawks receive:
TE Jimmy Graham
42nd overall pick

Saints receive:
31st overall pick
C Max Unger

Falcons receive:
63rd overall pick
DE Bruce Irvin

That still looks like it strongly favors us, no? Even if Seattle kicks over something else to Atlanta in this deal.. when you look at both trades combined.. that still favors us.

After sleeping on it. I really want this deal to happen. Which means either it never comes together or we trade Bruce for a 6th in 2016 and the board melts down :lol:
Some corrections...

That would have been a HELLUVA deal for the Saints... they get Unger AND a 1st round pick for only Jimmy Graham??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

You forgot that Seattle got the Saints 4th rounder (#112 overall) in that deal.

But even with that adjustment, it still comes down to Seattle giving up Irvin (who they have for one more year at only $1.6M salary) for the right to move up only 21 positions in the 2nd round (from #63 to #42).

I certainly wouldn't do it... particularly because the talent level in that range is so level.

We'd be losing Irvin for hardly anything of value.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Seanhawk":3s3ca8ty said:
Can someone explain to me why teams have to decide on the 5th year before a guy has even played his 4th season?

The fifth year option is only guaranteed for injury.

By not exercising the fifth year option the Seahawks are basically saying that Bruce Irvin is so not worth a year at 7 million to them that they're not willing to take on the risk of him having a career ending injury.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
It is one of those deals that may not make sense for either team in terms of compensation. I think Seattle would be foolish to surrender Irvin's final cheap year for a mid-round pick. However, Atlanta picks so high in each round that it's hard to see a sweet spot for them in the upper rounds. So, it will likely come down to the initiating party making it happen.

It sounds like ATL is that party in this instance. Therefore, they will likely have to sweeten the pot. Seattle isn't really hurt by sitting on Irvin for one more year and can afford to play some hard ball. I would like to see JS negotiate hard on a deal like this or otherwise just keep the player. I think he's pulled the trigger a little too quickly in some prior instances and given up assets for less than their market value.

If ATL is getting serious, he needs to be on the phone with other teams too. Bruce profiles as a guy who plays 4-3+DE but he may suit some 3-4 teams. Might as well see how other teams might value him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":3sh1xj9y said:
NFSeahawks628":3sh1xj9y said:
Looks like the front office feels the same away as I do about him.

I think the ONLY thing this says, is that Seahawks don't want to pay him $7.8 mil next season. Take that however you will.

Same thing, it says the same thing most of us say...........Irvin is an athletic freak that has shown flashes of brilliance but hasn't developed into a consistent contributor to this defense worthy of eating up 8M of cap space.

Not sure what the disconnect is with the guy, maybe he's not that bright? Maybe he's not in the film room as much as he should be? Maybe he doesn't put in the work to take the next step? Maybe a combo of all of the above? idk, but his FOOTBALL SKILLS says Irvin should be an elite defensive lineman right now.