Not picking up Irvin's 5th year option???

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
massari":gmbbcyad said:
jake206":gmbbcyad said:

Irvin + our 2nd (63) for Atlanta's 2nd (42), but again it would have to be for the right player. I don't see Schneider pulling the trigger on this unless he really sees somebody that can make an impact.

Why would the Hawks do this if they can use Irvin for this coming season and get a 3rd round comp pick next draft?

It'd make sense if it's Irvin straight up for ATL's #42 pick.

No way in hell I'd trade Irvin+#63 for #42.

Because I seriously doubt Irvin receives a 3rd round comp pick. Maybe a fourth - all depends on the size of his next contract (in part). Plus any draft compensation received would be for the 2017 draft. I believe the thinking is, if Irvin is worth a 4th round comp pick, and it would cost a 4th round choice to move up in the 2nd, why not trade Bruce?

rideaducati

Reaction score
jake206":3pt427uu said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DOrlandoAJC/status/593644548624101376[/tweet]

Seattle linebacker Bruce Irvin, who recently told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution he wanted to play for the Falcons, is reportedly being discussed in a trade, according to Pro Football Talk.

Bruce told AJ-C he wants to play for the Falcons??

I wonder how well he would do off the field in Atlanta. He ran with some bad people while he was there.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BIrvin_WVU11/status/593651532781879297[/tweet]

Welp.............So now we need to find a starting OLBer if/when he is gone.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
massari":2te6ii4w said:
jake206":2te6ii4w said:

Irvin + our 2nd (63) for Atlanta's 2nd (42), but again it would have to be for the right player. I don't see Schneider pulling the trigger on this unless he really sees somebody that can make an impact.

Why would the Hawks do this if they can use Irvin for this coming season and get a 3rd round comp pick next draft?

Bruce would get you a 4th round comp pick at best. And that pick would be deferred for two years, which makes it even less valuable. That pick is only worth a 5th or 6th rounder in this week's draft.

I think the Falcons fan speculating on 4th/5th round compensation are closer to reality. I'd hold out hope for a 3rd or package to move up. Hopefully Quinn can do us a solid.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Kendricks is being made available out of Philly. Isn't that the guy people say Pete and John wanted out of that draft? Three way trade coming?

massari

Reaction score
DavidSeven":316ti5dq said:
massari":316ti5dq said:
jake206":316ti5dq said:

Bruce would get you a 4th round comp pick at best. And that pick would be deferred for two years, which makes it even less valuable. That pick is only worth a 5th or 6th rounder in this week's draft.

I think the Falcons fan speculating on 4th/5th round compensation are closer to reality. I'd hold out hope for a 3rd or package to move up. Hopefully Quinn can do us a solid.

Would you guys think a 4th/5th would be worth losing Irvin for the coming season? I'd rather keep Irvin for this season and get the comp pick in 2017.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Kendricks is being made available out of Philly. Isn't that the guy people say Pete and John wanted out of that draft? Three way trade coming?

massari

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":bd1okula said:
massari":bd1okula said:
jake206":bd1okula said:

Because I seriously doubt Irvin receives a 3rd round comp pick. Maybe a fourth - all depends on the size of his next contract (in part). Plus any draft compensation received would be for the 2017 draft. I believe the thinking is, if Irvin is worth a 4th round comp pick, and it would cost a 4th round choice to move up in the 2nd, why not trade Bruce?

Because he would be a big asset to the Seahawks this season.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
What I can't wrap my had around is the fact that we are thin at LBer, yet they seem to be wiling to trade one of our starters?

massari

Reaction score
Blitzer88":1x7ozuk7 said:
What I can't wrap my had around is the fact that we are thin at LBer, yet they seem to be wiling to trade one of our starters?

For a 4th/5th round pick or to move up 20 spots. Doesn't make sense.

Chapow

Reaction score
massari":3qszl89b said:
Would you guys think a 4th/5th would be worth losing Irvin for the coming season? I'd rather keep Irvin for this season and get the comp pick in 2017.

I'd be pretty shocked if PC/JS valued a 4th or 5th round pick more than they value Bruce Irvin.

But I've been pretty shocked by quite a few things they've done in the past 4 years and most of those things have worked out pretty well for us.

:Dunno:

QuahHawk

Reaction score
A late 4th round comp pick in 2017 is closer to a 6th round pick in this year's draft.

That does not mean Irvin is worth that much now. If you stacked him up against many of these draft picks I imagine he had proven talented enough to be worth no less than early 4th this year and as good as a late 2nd. Of the DE/LB'S available late 2nd and early 3rd Bruce will do more in the next 2 years than the majority of them.

I would be OK with ATL'S 4th, happy with a 3rd, and PnJ'd if we got their 2nd.

I would also be happy if we swapped 2nd rd picks with them.

This might be one of those things that if the right player is on the board when ATL picks in the 2nd we make the deal.

netskier

Reaction score
All I can think of is that he is a mixed bag, who cost us some big penalties last year, for example when he ran out of bounds to hit a player. This tarnishes his emerging stardom. Probably some other tarnishments that we don't know about too.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
If we could get a second round pick for him and they turned that into just as an example Coates and Marpet that is a move I'd like to see. I heard picking up his option is around 7million according to Groz and Bob not confirmed but if that's the case Irvin just isn't worth that kind of money . Then there's Wagner, O'Kung and Wilson to worry about .

jake206

Reaction score
Also gotta factor in his long term-signability. BWagz and RW need to be signed soon, so gotta make cuts somewhere. OLB is a fairly fungible position. Irvin gave the team some versatility with his sporadic pass rush skills and athleticism. But he is not irreplaceable. We did fine with Malcolm Smith-types in the past.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/dannyoneil/status/593660691220811776[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/dannyoneil/status/593661395025068032[/tweet]

Hawks46

Reaction score
This from the draft rumors article:

"In 2014, Irvin appeared in 15 games for the Seahawks and recorded 36 tackles, six sacks, two interceptions, a forced fumble and three pass defenses. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 11 outside linebacker in a 4-3 system out of 40 qualifying players."

Keep in mind, that's only in his 2nd year starting at OLB, at ANY level. He's on the verge of being very, very good. Thing is, we probably can't afford him, but I agree with most saying I'd rather keep him for this year. I'm not sure another 4th or 5th rounder really helps this team out as much as having a (most likely) improved Irvin on the field.

Once we sign Wilson, we're looking at a mini window. Guys are going to start dropping off that we can't afford. If we can draft really well and replace them, we're fine. Depending on how much we pay Wilson, we'll start to get cap room when the cap increases.

Rob12

Reaction score
Sometimes I think that we have a tendency to overvalue our own players.

Bruce Irvin is a good football player on an elite defense. But we simply cannot afford to pick up that fifth year option. He's not worth that kind of money, especially when we have the Wilson and Wagner extensions on deck. It's not feasible to hold on to a 28-year-old Irvin. He'll be 29 at the end of the season. He still has a lot of football left, but he's going to want one big payday before his time is up and it simply isn't going to be in Seattle - nor should it be. I love the guy, but I think we let him ball out this year and then let him walk and go find that big payday. I don't like the idea of losing him, but I want him here during his contract year. After that, it's adios, Bruce. You'll always be a Hawk.

I don't share Blitzer's pessimism about our LB corps. I really like KPL and with the plethora of picks that this team has, Bruce's long term replacement is already on the roster or will be by the end of the weekend. I have complete trust that PCJS will easily fill the void.

Irvin is not necessarily a core guy in my mind. He can and will be replaced. This is the price of having an elite roster and team that is making SB appearances a routine thing.

Not surprised or worried about this news at all. 100 percent expected, IMO.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
massari":360xesl8 said:
Would you guys think a 4th/5th would be worth losing Irvin for the coming season? .

Not really, because we already have too many picks stockpiled in that area and Bruce can still help us this year. However, if ATL is willing to tip the scales a bit, then it's something you'd have to consider. I think some kind of package to move up probably makes the most sense. Or maybe this is a whole of nothing or just being fueled by ATL.

Rob12

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":38bl2bi4 said:
massari":38bl2bi4 said:
jake206":38bl2bi4 said:

I think it's worth holding on to him and benefitting from him wrecking havoc during a contract year.