Hawks to decline 5th year option on Penny

Rat

Reaction score
I don't believe we've picked up a fifth year option since Earl and he was drafted in 2010. Speaks to how poorly our first rounders have been.

Didn't like the Penny pick, but I wanted Sony Michel, who hasn't really been any better.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":s6x3aivl said:
JayhawkMike":s6x3aivl said:
I am shocked, I tell ya, shocked. One of the worst picks on recent Seahawk history seeing how Chubb was there and much higher rated. Our front office is just stupid on draft days with very very few exceptions.

>Seahawks pick Malik McDowell, who was rated highly and falling due to other concerns
"There they go, picking guys with red flags"

>Seahawks pass on Chubb, who has a massive medical red flag
"Stupid front office, passing highly rated guys because their knee looked like a bowl of spaghetti after being pulverized in college"

Damned if they do, damned if they don't by Captain Hindsight here. At least criticize the pick based on valid process reasons instead of hindsight.

It was dumb because they took a running back high. Not because they passed on the guy whose knee looked like a crash test dummy mannequins after a crash test.

I called the bad Penny pick that night and have stayed consistent ever since.

I was not one bashing on the MM pick at the time though there really were red flags.

Nunya_

Reaction score
Rat":1nmdy5qn said:
I don't believe we've picked up a fifth year option since Earl and he was drafted in 2010. Speaks to how poorly our first rounders have been.

Didn't like the Penny pick, but I wanted Sony Michel, who hasn't really been any better.

IIRC, the 5th year option did not apply to Earl....though he likely would have been picked up. The 5th year option was agreed to in the 2011 CBA.

The Penny situation was probably nothing more than a business decision. If the team did pick up his 5th year option, he would have been guaranteed around $4.5 mill in 2022. That is a hard pill to swallow for someone with a a serious injury that took him out of the 2019 season and a lot of the 2020 season.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":9s11v7fy said:
Maelstrom787":9s11v7fy said:
I am shocked, I tell ya, shocked. One of the worst picks on recent Seahawk history seeing how Chubb was there and much higher rated. Our front office is just stupid on draft days with very very few exceptions.

>Seahawks pick Malik McDowell, who was rated highly and falling due to other concerns
"There they go, picking guys with red flags"

>Seahawks pass on Chubb, who has a massive medical red flag
"Stupid front office, passing highly rated guys because their knee looked like a bowl of spaghetti after being pulverized in college"

Damned if they do, damned if they don't by Captain Hindsight here. At least criticize the pick based on valid process reasons instead of hindsight.

It was dumb because they took a running back high. Not because they passed on the guy whose knee looked like a crash test dummy mannequins after a crash test.

I appreciate the free space in your head. It is very roomy in here.

I called the bad Penny pick that night and have stayed consistent ever since. Your mayfly memory may not remember.

I was not one bashing on the MM pick at the time though there really were red flags.

Why don’t you take a break responding to me since you make yourself look foolish every time. You are a little bit of a joke here already.

It's alright, you'll get over it until the next mention of Penny comes up for you to say the same exact thing on again.

PS, you're lying.

Malik was just more in a string of arrogant moves by the Seahawks.

Instead of taking an obvious choice and putting them in their natural position they take a flyer on a player with some pre-draft concerns thinking that they are smarter than everyone else. They keep swinging for the fences and have been striking out at an alarming rate. They need to just go for some singles and doubles and build a more solid team.

Rat

Reaction score
Nunya_":1yzhiik0 said:
Rat":1yzhiik0 said:

IIRC, the 5th year option did not apply to Earl....though he likely would have been picked up. The 5th year option was agreed to in the 2011 CBA.

The Penny situation was probably nothing more than a business decision. If the team did pick up his 5th year option, he would have been guaranteed around $4.5 mill in 2022. That is a hard pill to swallow for someone with a a serious injury that took him out of the 2019 season and a lot of the 2020 season.

Ah, had the year of the CBA wrong in my head. Thanks for the correction.

I wonder if we're the only team to not pick up a fifth-year option yet? Hopefully Collier or Brooks ends up being worth it.

Nunya

Reaction score
Rat":3ga3td18 said:
Nunya_":3ga3td18 said:
Rat":3ga3td18 said:

I wonder if we're the only team to not pick up a fifth-year option yet? Hopefully Collier or Brooks ends up being worth it.

21 5th year options picked up.

10 5th year options declined.

1 player already extended.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl- ... n-in-2022/

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
According to CBS NFL site, for 2018 draft alone (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...picks-bills-bringing-back-josh-allen-in-2022/):

Players whose fifth-year options were declined
QB Josh Rosen, 49ers (released)
RB Rashaad Penny, Seahawks
RB Sony Michel, Patriots
TE Hayden Hurst, Falcons
C Billy Price, Bengals
DT Taven Bryan, Jaguars
LB Leighton Vander Esch, Cowboys
LB Rashaan Evans, Titans
CB Mike Hughes, Vikings
S Terrell Edmunds, Steelers

Rat

Reaction score
Nunya":2plbign4 said:
Rat":2plbign4 said:
Nunya_":2plbign4 said:
Rat":2plbign4 said:

Sorry, I meant are we the only team to never pick up a fifth year option?

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
One interesting feature of the list Nunya and I linked to is that most of the bottom 15 picks were not picked up, while nearly all of the top of the draft were.

Either there is a serious cut-off in talent after about 17 (15-20 somewhere), or there is financial benefit in not picking up the 5th year on those at the bottom of the first round.

Comparing Penny to Chubb in this case is silly. Comparing Penny to Sony Michel is much more appropriate.

Nunya

Reaction score
Rat":30cyjtpl said:
Nunya":30cyjtpl said:
Rat":30cyjtpl said:
Nunya_":30cyjtpl said:

Sorry, I meant are we the only team to never pick up a fifth year option?

My bad. If I used a little reading comprehension, I would have seen that.

Own The West

Reaction score
https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1380422/clayton-seahawks-rashaad-penny-5th-option/

Clayton article on the same topic. He makes good points about first rounders: 'the shelf' where first rounders are no longer blue chip prospects, the 5th year seldom coming into play, and fans unreasonable expectations for first rounders in the latter half of the round.

Truth is, unless Penny really balls out this year, we can have him back in 2022 for a lot less that his $4.5M option.