Not much to say after this one

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Snakeeyes007":2ybqpw3d said:
kearly":2ybqpw3d said:
It's not entirely his fault, but there might not be a receiver on our roster that I trust less on a target beyond 15 yards than Richardson. I like him, but he's been like the anti-Jermaine Kearse this preseason.

Oh, the irony. Hearing all the talking heads and reading all the write-ups about him after he was drafted, I thought Richardson was drafted to be a stripper, what with all the talk of him "taking the top off".

I sincerely believe that Pete and Darrell have been slow-playing their hand with Richardson. After verifying he could be the deep threat he was touted to be via several examples in practice, they have been running him on short, intermediate, and comeback routes mostly in preseason.

Not only has it been useful and necessary to get him work underneath, to see how he handles traffic, creates space, etc, but it takes the focus off what he does best. It wouldn't shock me at all if they take a shot or two with him in the Packers game. I will be curious to see the response from fellow .net'ers after he's made a big play or two. :snack:
So his lack of production is us playing mind games with the rest of the league.

Gotcha.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2pofyw0k said:
Snakeeyes007":2pofyw0k said:
kearly":2pofyw0k said:
It's not entirely his fault, but there might not be a receiver on our roster that I trust less on a target beyond 15 yards than Richardson. I like him, but he's been like the anti-Jermaine Kearse this preseason.

Oh, the irony. Hearing all the talking heads and reading all the write-ups about him after he was drafted, I thought Richardson was drafted to be a stripper, what with all the talk of him "taking the top off".

I sincerely believe that Pete and Darrell have been slow-playing their hand with Richardson. After verifying he could be the deep threat he was touted to be via several examples in practice, they have been running him on short, intermediate, and comeback routes mostly in preseason.

Not only has it been useful and necessary to get him work underneath, to see how he handles traffic, creates space, etc, but it takes the focus off what he does best. It wouldn't shock me at all if they take a shot or two with him in the Packers game. I will be curious to see the response from fellow .net'ers after he's made a big play or two. :snack:
So his lack of production is us playing mind games with the rest of the league.

Gotcha.
Maybe being a rookie wide receiver has something to do with it? It's rare to see one make a big impact and they usually are high 1st round picks also.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Most of the scoring we allowed in this game was due to mistakes by guys that may not even make the team. I'm not terribly worried.

Things that stood out positively:

Russell Wilson was astoundingly good for the four plays he was in. Scary for opposing teams.

Things that stood out negatively:

Prior, Walters, and Adams were toast on some really key plays. Hard to see any of them making the team.

Eh, it's the fourth preseason game, so there's nothing really to read into it score-wise. Just made the cuts easier to figure out. And we'll be a force to be reckoned with in the regular season.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":3216z53f said:
It would be nice if Richardson had caught ONE deep pass this preseason or at least looked competent in the attempt. Some of them were not his fault, but there were others where Jermaine Kearse is bringing it in every time.

What bothers me more than the results is the process. He looks completely unnatural and clumsy on deep pass attempts.

Kearse had Wilson throwing it - a guy he has 3 years of experience working with.

Richardson had Pryor - a guy who cant throw a deep ball first and foremost, and a guy Richardson has no real chemistry with.

Major difference.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I don't think we can really evaluate the second team WRs too accurately. Pryor just didn't throw the ball much, and when he did, they weren't the best throws.

Say what you will about Brady Quinn, but he got some air on the ball and wasn't prone to running. So, last year our receivers were getting a lot of opps in preseason with T-Jack and Quinn (both primarily pocket passers). Not so much this year.

Regardless of that though, Harvin, Baldwin, and Kearse have definitely established themselves as the top dogs in our 3 WR set. Have a feeling, barring injury, these guys are getting 90% of the reps. Right now, they're all too good to take off the field. Probably go 2 TE or two backs when Harvin needs a breather.

Cartire

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1v01duzh said:
I don't think we can really evaluate the second team WRs too accurately. Pryor just didn't throw the ball much, and when he did, they weren't the best throws.

Say what you will about Brady Quinn, but he got some air on the ball and wasn't prone to running. So, last year our receivers were getting a lot of opps in preseason with T-Jack and Quinn (both primarily pocket passers). Not so much this year.

Regardless of that though, Harvin, Baldwin, and Kearse have definitely established themselves as the top dogs in our 3 WR set. Have a feeling, barring injury, these guys are getting 90% of the reps. Right now, they're all too good to take off the field. Probably go 2 TE or two backs when Harvin needs a breather.

Lot of truth here. And a lot of the time when we use 5 wide, its with a back spread wide and a TE. Barring no injuries, Richarson would only be used for about 15% of the offensive plays anyway right now. As relief and a few special packages.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Snakeeyes007":33nwrg7i said:
kearly":33nwrg7i said:

I logged on just to give you props for this post. Nail. Head.

Like myself, I assume you watched Richardson at Colorado. He is definitely the real deal and definitely capable of tracking / catching the deep ball. I agree Pete and Bevell had no desire to show that time after time this pre-season, Instead they appear to be fine tuning his underneath stuff. Probably in the event Harvin gets dinged. But with a healthy Harvin, and a QB that can actually put the ball out in front of Richardson (!), he is going to be a deep ball monster...that can also play shallow. What's not to like?

I will add that I liked his selection in the draft, but didn't love it. This based on his size, past medical history and his incident at UCLA. Thus far I have been pleased with his performance and his attitude seems great. I love the fact he wants to polish his routes instead of cloning Mike Wallace. With a strong armed QB and good health, I think he will be a force on this team.

Mick063

Reaction score
About the Raiders game

Further testimony of what I have always claimed.

It isn't necessarily about playing on the road. It is more about what kind of track the horses are running on. Seattle's baton passing relay....er...football team always faces the great equalizer on sloppy turf (or in this instance a dirt baseball infield).

The edge rushers lose traction. The corners can't accelerate as quick out of the break. The smallish linebackers lose the inertial speed required to stop running backs in their tracks. The free safety loses a step of range. Seattle's speed advantage, especially on defense, takes a hit. In general, for all teams, offense always realizes an increasing advantage proportional to variable bad field conditions.

With respect to defending the run, the game devolves into a physical brawl instead of a track meet. Sure Seattle can play physical on a bad surface, but they are a little undersized at the linebacker position (as well as Leo) to make it a defensive doctrine.

This is why I "poo poo" the notion of New Orleans having an insurmountable advantage in their dome. Personally, I believe Seattle would be much more comfortable there, then for example, a sloppy Lambeau Field in post season.

Tical21

Reaction score
I saw a bit of what Kearly saw. That ball was drastically underthrown, but underthrown balls give receivers a chance. He didn't come back and fight for it correctly. Kearse probably would have caught that ball and the ball last week that Pryor threw. I think it is fair to question whether or not this is going to be an issue for him. The good news is that when you watch him on tape, he seems to judge the ball and time his jump fine. I think he's just nervous, not playing naturally. I think he'll get there.

As far as his receiving ability, he isn't just a burner. He was a pretty complete receiver. I'm in.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Tical21":3vk6x21p said:
I saw a bit of what Kearly saw. That ball was drastically underthrown, but underthrown balls give receivers a chance. He didn't come back and fight for it correctly. Kearse probably would have caught that ball and the ball last week that Pryor threw. I think it is fair to question whether or not this is going to be an issue for him. The good news is that when you watch him on tape, he seems to judge the ball and time his jump fine. I think he's just nervous, not playing naturally. I think he'll get there.

As far as his receiving ability, he isn't just a burner. He was a pretty complete receiver. I'm in.
I thought he made "business decisions" on some deep balls that were underthrown. If I was his size (Actually, I am, pretty much exactly) I would do the same on those underthrown deep balls with a safety coming over to remove my spleen and head.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
This might be a shot in a dark of comparisons since it was so long ago but Richardson reminds me of a smaller, faster version of another former Colorado Buffalo WR....

DJ Hackett.

Although DJ Hackett is more a perfect comparison to what we've seen from Kevin Norwood. Down to size and similar athleticism.

So I guess for the sake of a better comparison: take the potential of Deon Butler and the best of Koren Robinson and mix it together and I think you get the ceiling of Paul Richardson.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
sc85sis":1z8kvksr said:
To be fair, Kearse should be bringing it every time--he's a third-year player. Richardson is a rookie. Yes he was drafted and Kearse wasn't, but at this point that doesn't really matter. Reps and coaching do.

He'll get better, Kip. Patience.

Kearse has always had stellar deep ball talent.

Richardson could develop. Kris Durham and Jordy Nelson developed significantly as deep ball WRs over their first few years, though both were far more physical (and bigger) than Richardson.

I think what concerns me the most about Richardson right now are the "soft" vibes he's giving out. I don't know if I've ever seen a player get coached out of being "soft", though certainly there are some great receivers in this league who are very finesse.

Richardson looks very talented, I bet he'd kill it on the Broncos. I just don't know if a soft receiver can properly function in our offense.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":l7igj052 said:
Kearse had Wilson throwing it - a guy he has 3 years of experience working with.

Richardson had Pryor - a guy who cant throw a deep ball first and foremost, and a guy Richardson has no real chemistry with.

Major difference.

At least two of those throws Richardson failed to make a play on were plays an NFL WR has to make, IMO.

Anyway, small sample size. Rookie. Not making up my mind, but it wasn't the start I was hoping for as a deep threat. Golden Tate started far worse, and he turned out great. Richardson has shown some very good things in the short game.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
kearly":2k74pzpt said:
sc85sis":2k74pzpt said:
To be fair, Kearse should be bringing it every time--he's a third-year player. Richardson is a rookie. Yes he was drafted and Kearse wasn't, but at this point that doesn't really matter. Reps and coaching do.

He'll get better, Kip. Patience.

Kearse has always had stellar deep ball talent.

Richardson could develop. Kris Durham and Jordy Nelson developed significantly as deep ball WRs over their first few years, though both were far more physical (and bigger) than Richardson.

I think what concerns me the most about Richardson right now are the "soft" vibes he's giving out. I don't know if I've ever seen a player get coached out of being "soft", though certainly there are some great receivers in this league who are very finesse. I just don't know if a soft receiver can properly function in our offense.

But the real question is, has Richardson been out on the field at all with the Tri-Force of Wilson, Harvin, and Lynch? Because he'll get neglected, the deep middle will get neglected, and if he can beat the safety for positioning, the dude is gonna be getting some pretty easy deep balls as long as the O-line doesn't fugly it up.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":uxo2jodk said:
I thought he made "business decisions" on some deep balls that were underthrown. If I was his size (Actually, I am, pretty much exactly) I would do the same on those underthrown deep balls with a safety coming over to remove my spleen and head.

Pete talks about not letting fear rule his decision making. Percy returning kicks, Thomas returning punts, Thomas and Chancellor on kick returns.

I've noticed that Pete likes rewarding players who also operate without fear. Wilson, Lynch, Baldwin, Wagner, Sherman, Thomas and Kearse to name a few.

Maybe it wears off, but Richardson shows palpable signs of fear on anything other automatic short routes. The good news is, he's a really talented player. I buy into his talent, but I question his fit in an offense that requires guys to make gutty, high leverage plays to win games.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I still think he is too light in the ass to be a consistent contributer. Thought so when we drafted him, still think so now.

Uthawk

Reaction score
kearly":3lq03xbj said:
Scottemojo":3lq03xbj said:

Pete talks about not letting fear rule his decision making. Percy returning kicks, Thomas returning punts, Thomas and Chancellor on kick returns.

I've noticed that Pete likes rewarding players who also operate without fear. Wilson, Lynch, Baldwin, Wagner, Sherman, Thomas and Kearse to name a few.

Maybe it wears off, but Richardson shows palpable signs of fear on anything other automatic short routes. The good news is, he's a really talented player. I buy into his talent, but I question his fit in an offense that requires guys to make gutty, high leverage plays to win games.

I completely agree, although his toe touching grab last night took some courage. If there's a time to be cautious, it's in game 3-4 of preseason when you're confident in your position and want to avoid an early injury. My gut says that we'll see it during the season but to a lesser degree.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":3bkb9q1e said:
Scottemojo":3bkb9q1e said:

You aren't lying, the passing windows are too small for guys who don't like getting hit in this offense.

Can he put on weight and stay fast? Can he even put on weight? Can Seattle's QBs not underthrow him? So many questions.