Lock Looked Pretty Good

Chuckwow

Reaction score
I’m sure they told that to Geno, but even if Geno wasn’t showing anything, they were still going to trade RW away. They knew they weren’t going to give RW another contract and with that bridge being burnt to ash got rid of RW While they could Still get some good players/picks for him.
Better late than never. He's a guy that needs to run the ball in order to set up his own passing attack. When he stopped running (not all his fault) all Ds had to do was take away the sidelines because he couldn't throw a crossing route, or anything short-middle, to save his life. You can't live by the bomb.

Without a Marshawn or a generational D, I really don't see a change of uniform solving his issues. But he had his day in the league and it's plausible he'll one day get the call. I personally don't see him as a HOF guy but he overcame some obstacles and most people seem to still like him. Unless he continues to be an asshat, I suppose Canton will bring him in because he was "good for football". I find myself comfortably indifferent to the guy.

OP
OP
B

bsuhawk

Reaction score

I completely agree. He still seems to have at least one throw that leaves you shaking your head (like the sideline throw to Bobo against Green Bay that should have been a pick six), but overall I like what I'm seeing this year.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He def. has a clunker throw every game it seems. Should have been a pick 6. Reminded me of the several dropped interceptions from Geno late last season.
Just because someone dropped them, doesn't mean they didn't happen. Lock is a good backup.

RiverDog

Reaction score
That's been Lock's problem throughout his career. He plays well for 90% of the game then makes one huge, game changing mistake.

He's a very competent back-up and we were wise to bring him back in that role as he's a good insurance policy and might give us some trade bait later in the season if some team loses a couple of QB's is desperate.

Mick063

Reaction score
That's been Lock's problem throughout his career. He plays well for 90% of the game then makes one huge, game changing mistake.

He's a very competent back-up and we were wise to bring him back in that role as he's a good insurance policy and might give us some trade bait later in the season if some team loses a couple of QB's is desperate.
He is a starting caliber quarterback.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Debatable. But he does seem like he has improved overall. NOT trying to argue, just not sure I see Lock as starter level. Just an opinion. Nothing more.
A guy to come in for a few games while a starter heals up? Absolutely.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I thought that $4m was a little spendy for a backup
This preseason has changed that.
I disagree. The preseason puts his skills on display should a team need an emergency quarterback, but it doesn't elevate his status to starter quality. He's a good backup, above average IMO.

As we've discussed at great length, Lock's problem has never been his ability to make all the throws. He's shown that both with us and at Denver. It's that he can't play a complete, 60 minute game. He's a lot like Jimmy G. in that regard, who is always good for one boner per game.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I thought that $4m was a little spendy for a backup

I disagree. The preseason puts his skills on display should a team need an emergency quarterback, but it doesn't elevate his status to starter quality. He's a good backup, above average IMO.

As we've discussed at great length, Lock's problem has never been his ability to make all the throws. He's shown that both with us and at Denver. It's that he can't play a complete, 60 minute game. He's a lot like Jimmy G. in that regard, who is always good for one boner per game.
Lock is head & shoulders above where he was in Denver, his Coaching is night & day different, he's made a damned nice transition to Waldren's system.
He needed the time to be out of the direct line of fire & he got that last year watching Geno, and adapting his play and mindset.
Forget the Denver Drew, he is no more...he's a damned good backup to Geno.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Lock is head & shoulders above where he was in Denver, his Coaching is night & day different, he's made a damned nice transition to Waldren's system.
He needed the time to be out of the direct line of fire & he got that last year watching Geno, and adapting his play and mindset.
Forget the Denver Drew, he is no more...he's a damned good backup to Geno.
Head and shoulders above where he was in Denver? What are you basing that on? His preseason performance?

Lock may or may not be improved from what he was in Denver. The only way we will find out is if/when he plays multiple regular season games, not these glorified scrimmages where they don't game plan or play to win.

keasley45

Reaction score
Head and shoulders above where he was in Denver? What are you basing that on? His preseason performance?

Lock may or may not be improved from what he was in Denver. The only way we will find out is if/when he plays multiple regular season games, not these glorified scrimmages where they don't game plan or play to win.

If you watch his movement in the pocket, his looking off safeties, his read progression... all of those things are easy to compare, and see that he's better now than he's ever been. And those things are evident and measurable regardless of whether he is playing in preseason or regular season.
Will the coverage be tighter in regular season? Maybe. But his wrs will also be faster. So the net result is that he'll have to do it all a split second faster. But he for 100% certain is reading, moving and processing in ways he never did before.

RiverDog

Reaction score
If you watch his movement in the pocket, his looking off safeties, his read progression... all of those things are easy to compare, and see that he's better now than he's ever been. And those things are evident and measurable regardless of whether he is playing in preseason or regular season.
Will the coverage be tighter in regular season? Maybe. But his wrs will also be faster. So the net result is that he'll have to do it all a split second faster. But he for 100% certain is reading, moving and processing in ways he never did before.
Apples and oranges. You can't compare the conditions in a preseason game with those in the regular season. There is a difference in the quality of players he's facing and the defensive scheming/game planning that's not present in the preseason. In addition, unless you've personally observed all those attributes you mentioned, ie reading, moving, and processing, when he was in Denver, there's no way you can make a determination that he's improved as you don't have a base to reference.

Having said that, I will admit that Lock appears to be playing better than he did last season. I hope that we aren't put in a situation where we'll find out.

keasley45

Reaction score
Apples and oranges. You can't compare the conditions in a preseason game with those in the regular season. There is a difference in the quality of players he's facing and the defensive scheming/game planning that's not present in the preseason. In addition, unless you've personally observed all those attributes you mentioned, ie reading, moving, and processing, when he was in Denver, there's no way you can make a determination that he's improved as you don't have a base to reference.

Having said that, I will admit that Lock appears to be playing better than he did last season. I hope that we aren't put in a situation where we'll find out.

Disagree entirely. You can tell when a qb understands the nuance of the position and is doing the subtle things that it requires. He obviously was not doing those things before. He obviously IS now.
So it's logical to forecast that if he wasn't doing those things at all before, that if he's doing them now, the results will be improved.

No one is saying his preseason play will translate 100% to regular season. But to say you can't see that he's a better qb now?? You'd have to be just flat discounting anything you see simply because it's preseason.

You'd also have to discounting the virtually unanimous assessment of every coach who's been asked about him, every analyst... his teammates.

He's just better.

Latest posts