Lock Looked Pretty Good

keasley45

Reaction score
I didn't see the game but the highlight of the td he threw... it was a great ball, but his awkward backpedaling in the pocket and then throwing falling backward off of his back foot... he's still leaning on his talent. Granted, if it were Mahomes doing it (and he does) I wouldn't bring it up. But Drew has struggled mightily because of the tendency to throw 'off platform' and rely on his arm to make the play. Against 1s, the rusher is probably closer, the ball as a result, not as accurate, and the pass (agaisnt a starting CB) possibly an incompletion or INT.

It was one play. I cant make too much of it. Just hope it's not just more of the same old Drew.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I really hope they don't trade Lock. This team is in a position to make some noise. Without Lock I hate too see what this season would look like if anything happens to Geno
He seems to be a very good option as a backup if Geno gets hurt or underperforms, but I would absolutely listen to trade offers should one come up. Odds are that he won't see a snap for us in the regular season.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
He seems to be a very good option as a backup if Geno gets hurt or underperforms, but I would absolutely listen to trade offers should one come up. Odds are that he won't see a snap for us in the regular season.
I hope so because if he does this will be a lost season.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Meh he looked ok. I was more concerned with our running backs staying healthy and thankfully the RB room should be ok going into week 1

RiverDog

Reaction score
I hope so because if he (Lock) does (play) this will be a lost season.
Yeah, there's not many teams, the Niners being the only one I can think of in recent memory, that can succeed after losing their starting QB. If Geno goes down, we're toast.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I'm telling you now, if it ever clicks 100% for Lock in this offense, he will be a franchise guy. He has the talent. He just needs for the game to slow down for him and to learn when and when not to force things.

From the looks of his movement in the pocket, the way he sees the field, the touch he's adding to his game, the discipline in not making the dumb throw... all of that is noticeably improved and matters whether it's preseason or not. You can clearly tell he's vastly improved.

Hope for all of our sakes that he continues to grow in the system.
Yep, and too, everyone should keep in mind that DL has pretty much displayed his wares while playing mostly with the #2 & #3 guys.
Gotta wonder what he would look like getting reps with the 1st team.

Jville

Reaction score
I didn't see the game but the highlight of the td he threw... it was a great ball, but his awkward backpedaling in the pocket and then throwing falling backward off of his back foot... he's still leaning on his talent. Granted, if it were Mahomes doing it (and he does) I wouldn't bring it up. But Drew has struggled mightily because of the tendency to throw 'off platform' and rely on his arm to make the play. Against 1s, the rusher is probably closer, the ball as a result, not as accurate, and the pass (agaisnt a starting CB) possibly an incompletion or INT.

It was one play. I cant make too much of it. Just hope it's not just more of the same old Drew.

He's got a very experienced quarterback coach in his corner. And, this is the first year he hasn't had to adjust for a new offensive coordinator or new scheme. But, he could make good use of more snaps to continue to grow.

I really like the quarterbacks. They are all business. No distractions.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Given the offensive line he had, it's hard to make a judgment on Lock's play. It wasn't pretty, but he was often running for his life. He didn't have a single starting O-lineman, and he also didn't have Walker, DK or Tyler. Or even Dissly.
Exactly ^ I wonder if anybody remembers that Russ used to gather with his playmates in Hawaii & again in California to work on the details of his passing game...There's a reason for the drop off when he went to a new team w/new players around him...ALSO, Geno had flown to where his Receivers live to work on his continuity gig with them.
Folks seem to ignore that aspect of Locks' play in these preseason outings.

Torc

Reaction score
I am not questioning the amount of work Geno put into resurrecting his career. But the fact is that he would never have gotten a chance to be a starter had Russell stuck with the team. He was 'lucky' that Russell got traded as no other team would have taken a chance on him.
Of course, it was probably at least in part the competence that Geno was showing the coaches in practice and when he was called on to play that made the decision to trade Russ much easier. If we didn't have Geno, we probably still have Russ today.

The Seahawks were 'lucky' that Geno was in the house.....or maybe the front office is just doing a good job.

Rosco

Reaction score
Of course, it was probably at least in part the competence that Geno was showing the coaches in practice and when he was called on to play that made the decision to trade Russ much easier. If we didn't have Geno, we probably still have Russ today.

The Seahawks were 'lucky' that Geno was in the house.....or maybe the front office is just doing a good job.
Geno or no Geno, PC was going to move on from RW. That bridge was burned before RW ever stepped out the door.

sutz

Reaction score
Geno or no Geno, PC was going to move on from RW. That bridge was burned before RW ever stepped out the door.
I would argue that they brought Geno back in exactly for this purpose and told Geno he would have the inside track in 2022 if he signed. That's what I believe.

Rosco

Reaction score
I would argue that they brought Geno back in exactly for this purpose and told Geno he would have the inside track in 2022 if he signed. That's what I believe.
I’m sure they told that to Geno, but even if Geno wasn’t showing anything, they were still going to trade RW away. They knew they weren’t going to give RW another contract and with that bridge being burnt to ash got rid of RW While they could Still get some good players/picks for him.

Seak

Reaction score
Yep, and too, everyone should keep in mind that DL has pretty much displayed his wares while playing mostly with the #2 & #3 guys.
Gotta wonder what he would look like getting reps with the 1st team.
Ya, If Geno went down and the hawks are forced to play Lock every game I wonder if he would show substantial improvement like Geno did.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Ya, If Geno went down and the hawks are forced to play Lock every game I wonder if he would show substantial improvement like Geno did.
I honestly don't think that Lock is on the same level, or as astute AT THIS JUNCTURE as Geno Smith is, but I DO believe that IF he can marry up with the #1 Offensives, in an emergency? he could very well come in and keep the Seahawks Offense competitive for a 3 or 4 game stretch.

Torc

Reaction score
Without Geno, I agree they probably would have traded Russ anyway to get the compensation while they could. The draft would have looked entirely different I bet, with a high pick QB coming in last year to compete with Lock.