Lock Looked Pretty Good

bsuhawk

Reaction score
I thought Lock looked pretty good against the Vikings. He had that one bad interception where he was a little late with the throw. But other than that he looked much better than last year. Instead of constantly forcing the ball into tight windows he was patient and showed a willingness to hit his check down. Both of his TD passes were elite throws and he showed great touch on the wheel route to his RB. I'm not saying that there's now competition at QB, but Lock's performance was encouraging.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I thought he looked just fine and made me feel comfortable enough with him backing up Geno. That pick wasn't his fault entirely as the D lineman got his paw up and deflected it. Happens to anyone, even Mahomes.

I too liked the touch on his passes. He looked calm and decisive and he does indeed have a good arm and looks to be pretty accurate overall. I think he could be a starter in this league someday but make no mistake this is Geno's team now unless he goes down with a major injury (knock on wood).

It's a nice problem to have. A solid if not really good backup QB that could win us some games in relief if called upon.

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, he looks like he'll be a good backup for now. IMO, of course.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
I think he’s fine for a backup. Quite good for a QB2. Some of us just have issues with immediate gratification during the game and expect perfection from every player on every down. It’s not good for the blood pressure.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I think he’s fine for a backup. Quite good for a QB2. Some of us just have issues with immediate gratification during the game and expect perfection from every player on every down. It’s not good for the blood pressure.
I think most of us have just higher expectations that’s all. 😉 😉

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
Looks to me as if he might have been throttled down by the staff?? A bunch of checkdown stuff - almost exclusively so. But maybe that is normal for pre-season.....what he was asked to do he did well and for a backup that is pretty good.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Lock completed 70% of his throws w/2 TDs and one pick that wasn't really his fault. 104+ passer rating is a pretty high number and he did it with what are basically our practice squad receivers. I think any QB in the league would take those numbers. Folks in Denver are salivating to see numbers like that.

xray

Reaction score
He looked fine against the Vikings rookies and practice squad players . That's preseason ball . Can't make a real judgement yet .

m0ng0

Reaction score
Yeah hard to tell with that atrocious broadcast. His stats looked pretty good but I don't think I saw a full offensive drive until the 4th quarter

Torc

Reaction score
The coaching staff isn't entirely calling plays the same way they would during the regular season either. They're calling plays to evaluate specific players. Without knowing what exactly Lock was asked to do, it's hard to criticize him too much for the drives not finishing in a score for a lot of the game. The offense is pretty vanilla, and I think they were trying to get a good look at the running backs who are on the bubble.

That being said, I was pretty happy with Lock's performance.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Night and day difference versus his first preseason action after coming over from Denver. The pick wasn't good at all though, and he's definitely going to watch that film and learn from it. It does seem he's grown over the first year in the system though. Good for him.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
Watching other teams and their QB2s makes me feel ok.

On another note - watching the lions game and I appreciate our announcers. They take just the right amount of adrenochrome. The Lions announcers are full on cocaine bear plus roids.

chris98251

Reaction score
Check downs, outlet passes, I know that we forget that most offenses use those when the qb sees his reads are covered and not scrambling looking for a highlight throw or using to much time and needing to throw it out of bounds.

Scout

Reaction score
The only knock with Lock so far is his the jittery feet he has in the pocket when under pressure. But his is improving his mechanics and actually going through reads.

Boohman14

Reaction score
The only knock with Lock so far is his the jittery feet he has in the pocket when under pressure. But his is improving his mechanics and actually going through reads.
His protection in the first quarter was awful. I couldn't tell if the Vikings were running stunts due to the broadcast fiasco but I thought I heard Mike B suggest that they were.

Scout

Reaction score
His protection in the first quarter was awful. I couldn't tell if the Vikings were running stunts due to the broadcast fiasco but I thought I heard Mike B suggest that they were.
It wouldn't surprise me because Flores doesn't hold back.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Well GameDay Chat, you can't tell the difference between a win and loss or a 2 -15 or Superbowl team during games there.
I gave up on that chat a long time ago..I've seen some give up on football
after snapping in the head while on there.

Latest posts