Lock Looked Pretty Good

keasley45

Reaction score
Apples and oranges. You can't compare the conditions in a preseason game with those in the regular season. There is a difference in the quality of players he's facing and the defensive scheming/game planning that's not present in the preseason. In addition, unless you've personally observed all those attributes you mentioned, ie reading, moving, and processing, when he was in Denver, there's no way you can make a determination that he's improved as you don't have a base to reference.

Having said that, I will admit that Lock appears to be playing better than he did last season. I hope that we aren't put in a situation where we'll find out.
And there are youtube videos that dissect his play in Denver in pretty good detail.

I mean, you can watch highlight and lowlight tape of him and see him playing the game like a college qb would. Not stepping up in the pocket, but fading back. Not taking the check down. Not going beyond his first read, etc, etc. These things are blatantly obvious.

RiverDog

Reaction score
And there are youtube videos that dissect his play in Denver in pretty good detail.

I mean, you can watch highlight and lowlight tape of him and see him playing the game like a college qb would. Not stepping up in the pocket, but fading back. Not taking the check down. Not going beyond his first read, etc, etc. These things are blatantly obvious.
OK, I'll accept your word that you've done your homework on what Lock was doing in Denver. Nevertheless, his play in Denver was during regular season games that you are comparing to preseason games with us. Huge difference.

Scout

Reaction score
My honest opinion is that Lock and Teddy were used as scapegoats as to why the Broncos couldn't "ascend". Which built the narrative that the Broncos were a "QB" away from being a playoff contender. But that ignored the stalled development of the WR group the underperformance of the OL, poor play calling, etc.

The problem was that the Broncos FO and coaching staff overrated the talent on offense. The Broncos did invest a lot of draft choices on offense but the failure of the coaching staff to develop such talent was the bigger issue in Denver.

Fangio set that team back badly along with their GM.

Since the Broncos Super Bowl win the offense has steadily declined in terms of points per game while the defense has been up/down but still good enough to be a playoff caliber team.

Lock did a lot MORE than I expected when he came in as a Bronco. Now that he is with the right coaching staff he has a chance of being NFL average consistently. Lock showed in spurts he can be NFL average or even better.