Geno was the better deep ball passer than Lock?

toffee

Reaction score
According to Corbin Smith and PFF:
Most interestingly, Smith received an outstanding 99.9 grade on passes of 20-plus yards even though he only completed one out of four such attempts. PFF gave him a perfect big time throw percentage, classifying all four throws as "passes with excellent ball location and timing, generally thrown further down the field and/or into a tighter window." Two of those passes were the poor drop by Swain and Young's missed red zone opportunity against Chicago.

This evaluation coupled with film observation confirms Smith was the better deep ball passer this preseason in comparison to Lock, a major feather in his cap as coach Pete Carroll waited to choose a successor for Russell Wilson. Already holding an advantage given his knowledge of offensive coordinator Shane Waldron's scheme and his reliability taking care of the football, it's no wonder Lock wasn't able to gain traction in the competition.

This is interesting because some experts said Russ didn't have the strongest arm but we have seen Russ made a living throwing perfect long balls. Everyone talked about Lock's strong arm and his deep ball. Other than boys from our locker room and KJ Wright, every one talked like Geno has noodle arms. Nut not KJ Wright, “Geno was good,” Wright said facing Smith. “He was scout team quarterback. The dude has a cannon for an arm. He’s intellectual, you know, having those two-minute drills during practice throughout the week, the man can play. Just trust him, just trust Geno."

Geno's arm strength, any good?

Last edited:

sc85sis

Reaction score
Russ doesn't have a cannon but he can make all the throws. His deep ball is a high-arcing rainbow that drops in with touch and accuracy.

I haven't seen enough of Geno to have a real opinion on his deep ball, though he did throw some really nice passes this preseason that were dropped.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Russ doesn't have a cannon but he can make all the throws. His deep ball is a high-arcing rainbow that drops in with touch and accuracy.

I haven't seen enough of Geno to have a real opinion on his deep ball, though he did throw some really nice passes this preseason that were dropped.
May be safe to assuming that Geno has stronger arms than JimmyG?

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
49 yards time:
Russ - 4.55
Geno - 4.56
Lock - 4.70

National media and experts still insisting on Lock being the more athletic and faster QB :).

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Lock has TERRIBLE deep ball accuracy. That was the book on him before the trade.

Of course, Geno has better deep ball accuracy. Almost anyone would.

This is probably one of the reasons that Pete went with Geno.

chrispy

Reaction score
3 things about Geno's long game for the Donks....

Pre-season drops were awful, but Tyler didn't drop, DK wasn't targeted. What's the difference in throwing to WRs that A)don't drop B)can take jump balls away and C)know where their defender is and can use their body to shield the ball...??? It's probably safe to say that Geno won't get a lot better between now and the Browncows game. But, the receiver corp that Geno's targeting will be about as different as anyone could imagine. The passing game (both short and long) gets ridiculously better when throwing to DK, Lockett and Fant instead of Swain, DYoung and Eskridge.

Of course the opposite is true when talking about protection: pre-season largely showed good pocket protection thanks to rookie bookends. That protection was against (mostly) opposition that was trying to make a roster. Geno's long ball may look a little more duckish with Bradley Chubb in his face.

Game #1 features Geno and his WR corp against the most expensive backfield in football... perhaps the best, but still to be proven. Broncos were really awful against the pass last year and also had injuries. I think I read that they were signing CBs off of other teams' practice squads to start the same week. So... in addition to a new QB, they spent big on pass defense. It'll be their first game together so maybe that helps with some broken coverages here-and-there, but Geno will have to be smart/careful if he wants to go downfield. Alternatively, the LB level could be a consistent target.

In reality, this game is probably more about RW and the Seahawk passrush. That said, I'm really interested to see the other pieces too.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Russ and his successors' combine result as follows, Lock has really small hands and Russ has oversized hands, Russ is quicker than the other two with Geno having slower first step ie 10 yards split, Russ and Geno had the same ball velocity, Russ and Geno processed elite 40 yard dash time for QB, Lock was so so.
Russell WilsonGeno SmithDrew Lock
Height5'10"6'25"6'35"
Weight204218228
Arm length3132.532.5
Hand Size10.259.289
Wingspan7677.25
40 yard dash4.534.584.69
40 yard mph18.0617.8617.44
20 yard split2.632.692.74
10 yard split1.551.621.61
QB ball velocity5555
Wonderlic2824
Vertical leap3433.5
broad jump
20 yard shuttle4.094.12
3 cones6.977.03

To say that Lock is more athletic than Geno is simply untrue.

Last edited:

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Wins and Losses, the only stat that matters.
There are some great players out there stuck on bad teams. There have been some great QBs on horrible teams.

There is not much you and I agree on, hopefully, we can at least agree that we shouldn't evaluate individual players (even QBs) based solely on their team's win-loss record.

Context matters.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fair enough. But not judging a QB on winning huge game after huge game is kind of odd. Russ won more than any QB in the history of the game in his first 10 seasons. And he was one of the best finishers we have ever seen. I realize people hate the guy, and that's fine, but that's a fact.
I'm glad the team moved on from him, but there is NO comparison between Russ and these 2 bums. And yes, they both are bums by starting QB standards.
Flame away, meh. I can't believe we're still dwelling on this Russ sucks vs. Russ was great crap.

He is gone, move on. I'm so effin tired of talking about the guy. And he was my favorite player. SO glad they moved on with a mutual split.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
There are some great players out there stuck on bad teams. There have been some great QBs on horrible teams.

There is not much you and I agree on, hopefully, we can at least agree that we shouldn't evaluate individual players (even QBs) based solely on their team's win-loss record.

Context matters.
Then there's such thing as winning because of XXX, or winning despite of XXX. Quite sure Kyle Shanahan felt that they have been winning, super bowl appearance and NFC championships, despite of JimmyG.

Last edited:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Perhaps the coaches see his risk aversion level is higher than Lock's, but if he really is a better deep ball passer why won't they let him throw it ?