Kam contract extension - 2:00 Press conference

DavidSeven

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1tep45sn said:
Exactly. I think JS was being honest. At the beginning of the press conference Kam even said they approached him at the end of last year and said they were going to take care of him. This was something that was very deliberate and part of the plan from Day 1 of the offseason.

I especially liked hearing that because you know they've probably made similar assurances to Thomas and Sherman. Now ET/Sherm see their guy getting paid and know this FO sticks to its word. Sends a great message to the stars about this organization.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Scottemojo":43mr4oyt said:
It feels like a statement deal as much as anything.

It's not just a statement, it's part of the new Hawk philosophy under the Carroll/Schneider regime. They've said from day one "Doesn't matter who you are, doesn't matter where you were drafted............if you come to our team, bust your ass, compete and excel, we WILL take care of you."

Half the battle in trying to win in the NFL is getting your players to buy into the team's philosophy. Right now PC/JS don't have that problem because of signings like Kam. All players want is a fair opportunity to compete, and oh man is that going on here in Seattle........and it's freaking exciting as hell.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":2e36dukd said:
Did our salary cap space suddenly balloon like Kirstie Alley at Golden Corral? Where are we getting all this dough and how are we planning to sign the really, really good players before they hit FA?

Kam would have been about 10th on my list of priorities.

There are only a few players that we can restructure right now. We can't touch Wilson or Sherman under the CBA. Okung isn't a FA until 2016. Thomas isn't a FA until 2015. I don't think they are entirely sold on Tate and want to see what he does this year.

They are following a timeline.

themunn

Reaction score
4 years, 28 million.
So essentially he's contracted for the next 5 years for under 30 million.
Compare with Dashon Goldson contracted for the next 5 years for 42 million

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2m8f3ve3 said:
Kam did a great job last year adjusting to the new rules, bogus flags in the SF game aside.

I think some very painful decisions are ahead of the Hawks over the next three years. Operating under the recent theory that a team can only afford 6 or so expensive players at a time, between Okung, Thomas, Sherman, Browner, Wright, Tate, and our already expensive Miller, Rice, Bryant, Unger, Harvin, and Lynch, and the couple years away mega deal for Wilson, we are going to lose players we really like.

I do think Chancellor seemed to get back to his old ways near the very end of the season, if that's what you mean. On the whole, I thought his 2012 season was disappointing, and was obviously impacted by his hesitancy to make big hits. He was a very different player in 2011 when he was uncorking on everybody.

Hasselbeck":2m8f3ve3 said:
Right now I'd say Browner and Tate are the least likely guys to come back. Okung and Thomas are locks to be re-signed IMO. Sherman too.

Of course if they come out and draft a Justin Hunter or something (i.e. a big target) .. maybe it's Rice that is let go and Tate is kept on board for what Rice would be making?

Tough decisions to be sure though.

If Browner is even decent next year, he'll be back. He's an RFA.

I wonder about Tate. If he's a #3 WR next year and is splitting reps with Baldwin, it's pretty unlikely he'll finish with good counting stats. His reputation outside Seattle is way below his actual contribution. I could see him languishing in FA and becoming a bargain pickup. If we can get Tate back for say a 3/10 type deal, I'd be shocked if Seattle let him walk.

I think Rice, Miller, and especially Red Bryant are in the crosshairs the most.

HawkWow

Reaction score
One has to think that Harbaugh's whining to Goodell, about the physical play of our secondary, (thankfully) fell on deaf ears. Kam is our enforcer and this ($$$) re-signing suggests he will not be asked to
deviate from his current technique.

CANHawk

Reaction score
themunn":3skwtsqh said:
4 years, 28 million.

I wonder what it looks like for the incentives. All the "likely to earn" and "not likely to earn" crap.

Regardless, that's a beautiful pay day for a very hard working man. Great story. Congrats Bam Bam.

CANHawk

Reaction score
kearly":6verr7i8 said:
I wonder about Tate. If he's a #3 WR next year and is splitting reps with Baldwin, it's pretty unlikely he'll finish with good counting stats. His reputation outside Seattle is way below his actual contribution. I could see him languishing in FA and becoming a bargain pickup. If we can get Tate back for say a 3/10 type deal, I'd be shocked if Seattle let him walk.

I don't know about that. Tate's way more of an outside guy. I can't see him splitting reps with Baldwin, who's clearly an inside guy. I can see Baldwin's reps getting eaten up pretty badly by Harvin, but not Tate's. I honestly think Tater's pretty safe. He progressed by leaps and bounds last year. but yeah, I don't see anyone throwing mad cash at him in FA either, so Tate's not going anywhere...

ensett

Reaction score
kearly":1wikcogo said:
Largent80":1wikcogo said:
He still played pretty well considering the bone spurs.

Funny that you mention that. The news about his bone spur surgery is just 17 minutes old.

http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=849823 ... -surgeries

He's talked about it a bit on twitter. He got the surgery back in Feb I believe. Said many times that it was the hardest part of the season, harder than facing any player or team.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
CANHawk":2ea0zctz said:
kearly":2ea0zctz said:

I don't know about that. Tate's way more of an outside guy. I can't see him splitting reps with Baldwin, who's clearly an inside guy. I can see Baldwin's reps getting eaten up pretty badly by Harvin, but not Tate's. I honestly think Tater's pretty safe. He progressed by leaps and bounds last year.

But Harvin can split out wide, too. So, you could definitely see three receiver sets with Rice, Harvin and Baldwin with Tate on the bench. I think it'll be a fluid thing throughout the season, and I anticipate all four will get decent number of reps.

Don't really see the point of speculating too much who's gone after 2013. Obviously, there are more obvious choices than others right now, but there's a full season of football to play for guys to make a leap and an entire draft class coming in. Pecking order will be dramatically different by this time next year.

A-Dog

Reaction score
I think some people may be underestimating Kam's importance to our team. Clearly JS and the coaches have a better idea of that than we do. I don't agree with those that say he would be easily replaced. How many 6-3, 230-lb Pro Bowl safeties are out there? He's not the best at what he does, he's the ONLY one who does what he does. Also, from what I've seen (and I've heard coaches make comments about this), Kam is THE leader of our secondary. I also love what he does to our nickel secondary - we can give up a linebacker without actually giving up a linebacker - this is a defense we run more than 60% of the time. I'm salivating thinking about our nickel with our new pass rushers and Antoine Winfield. Kam is also the hardest-hitting DB in the entire league, bar none, and without a doubt that is in the head of every receiver that steps on the field against us. The best thing about this contract is that Kam doesn't have to sweat the fines he gets for hitting people too hard any more.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Also, check out this article for reasons why Kam is worth more than you might think:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/...-need-one-to-combat-hybrid-offenses-this-fall

Got a (Big) Nickel? You'll need one to combat hybrid offenses this fall

I asked a number of defensive coaches about Big Nickel, when an extra safety is brought in to the game for a front seven player. The first thing I always hear is, "You gotta have the right kind of hybrid safety to do it right." The Big Nickel safety has to be able to play as a linebacker when the offense condenses the set, and of course, he has to match up on a flexed tight end when they spread out the formation.

pehawk

Reaction score
Let me say the Kam signing proves I'm a know-nothing, DUMMY. I thought for sure he WOULDN'T be signed. That he was the replacable one of the LOB. And, well, once again, I've proven to be clueless.

XOXOXO

RD

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
It's alright, Ryan. We're all wrong on occasion, including me.

/huggle

(I think Throwdown might be a bit too gleeful there, though.)

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
themunn":3b61pag8 said:
4 years, 28 million.
Not a bad contract if you ask me.

drdiags

Reaction score
pehawk":3lx5mp8u said:
Let me say the Kam signing proves I'm a know-nothing, DUMMY. I thought for sure he WOULDN'T be signed. That he was the replacable one of the LOB. And, well, once again, I've proven to be clueless.

XOXOXO

RD

Count me in on this line of thought. I know nothing.