Kam contract extension - 2:00 Press conference

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Count me in the mildly surprised group that we elected to extend him. He was a borderline guy who I thought could go either way, though the most likely of the borderline guys to be resigned, albeit.

I thought we would wait until after the draft to see where it fell before we extended anyone else but I suppose safety is no longer a priority.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":owxmi6cj said:
Count me in the mildly surprised group that we elected to extend him. He was a borderline guy who I thought could go either way, though the most likely of the borderline guys to be resigned, albeit.

I thought we would wait until after the draft to see where it fell before we extended anyone else but I suppose safety is no longer a priority.

I don't understand how people can consider Kam borderline. He has one bad season due to injury and people are saying he isn't a key person on the LoB. Everyone talked mad smack on how T-Jack played hurt, so why not Kam, who is still on the team. I can't wait until he shuts all the naysayers up. Go Hawks!

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
My oh my, do the days of Russell and Grant seem so far past. Best safety tandem in the league and these guys still have years to go before their potential is reached. About what I expected for the money and years, but as excited as I am to have "Bam Bam the rhinoceros in cleats" back the big commitment does worry me. I can see both sides clearly but for now, I'm going to say to hell with it . Let's be stoked for this year and the immediate future. I have faith in everything they do after management.

Best off season in the history of the franchise, and the Draft is still not here. . Oh my lord!

Pick6

Reaction score
how much cap does this leave the team to sign draft picks?

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Bakergirl":sxk9cnmv said:
CALIHAWK1":sxk9cnmv said:
I found it interesting that Schneider mentioned Earl when talking about extensions and not Sherm when asked about the two of them. I'm more than likely reading waaaay too much into that and Schneider playing close to vest. Interesting none the less.

I think you're correct in that you may be reading too much into that. Earl's contract is going to come due before Sherman's so Earl is more than likely the one Schneider has at the front of his mind for the time being. I doubt he's forgotten Sherman, but rather just looking to take care of the most urgent situation first.

That's NOT correct. Earl's was a 5 year deal, He's entering year 4, so he'd be a free agent after 2014.
Sherman's was a 4 year deal, he's entering his 3rd year so he'd be a free agent after 2014. So they'd both be free agents at the same time. It's just that Sherman can't be negotiated with until after year 3. Whereas Earl can.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seah ... d-sherman/

Danny Darko

Reaction score
Well... i love Kam, but i want to see him grow. He was injured- true, but he also got picked on in the last couple games and looked like a liability at times. Now that we added Antoine, though, I suppose we have given him the perfect support around his skill set and I'm sure having a Ronnie Lott type around that may decapitate anyone at anytime with a clean hit (that the league will still fine) is a hard to replace skill.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":trmdkpyx said:

Kam was not only resigned to reaffirm PC/JS's philosophy of "play hard for us and we'll take care of you," but he was resigned because he's a tone setter on defense.

Talent wise no he's not on the same level as ET or Sherm, but football and especially defensive football you need certain guys on your team that set the tone........and Kam does that in spades. I GUARANTEE you when teams play us they say "oh no, we gotta play the Hawks defense with Chancellor destroying our RB's and WR's trying to cross the middle."

So yeah, any other team Kam's a "take him or leave him" kinda player. But not on this team. On this team's he's defensive beast that's a cornerstone to Pete's defensive philosophy of punishing other teams and breaking their will.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Remember when Jason Witten was too scared to catch a pass in Seattle? That was pure intimidation. That was Kam Chancellor.

That's the type of defense Pete Carroll wants.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
OkieHawk":2m2e9hf0 said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":2m2e9hf0 said:

I don't understand how people can consider Kam borderline. He has one bad season due to injury and people are saying he isn't a key person on the LoB. Everyone talked mad smack on how T-Jack played hurt, so why not Kam, who is still on the team. I can't wait until he shuts all the naysayers up. Go Hawks!

So he had a rookie season where he didn't play much, a pro bowl season and an average season. In other words, he had *one* good season. Not quite the sure thing.

More than his on-field performance, a strong safety who doesn't play much deep coverage isn't the hardest thing to replace schematically. Add to this fact that his general man and zone coverage skills are, at best, above average and he isn't a must sign player who makes our defense go.

That being said, he is definitely a specimen and his run support and hitting are well above average.

Though overall if we compare to a MUST sign player like ET the differences become clear.

We play a 1 deep safety most of the time and it is ET over the top. His zone coverage range at FS is probably the best in pro football. Remember the one deep pass against us in Atlanta, guess who was playing over-the-top (it wasn't ET). In other words, we NEED ET to play the defense that we do.

Furthermore, although Chancellor hits like a ton of bricks, ET runs circles around him in run support range, closing speed and tackling. ET can get from 12 yards deep to the backfield in no time. Once again, a player who is unique at his position among the whole league.

Anyway, don't take my surprise as a knock on Kam per se, just think of it as extreme praise for a guy like ET.

Jville

Reaction score
Interesting story about Kam Chancellor keeping the agreement secret over the weekend .... here >>>> [urltargetblank]http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2020839501_seahawks23.html[/urltargetblank]
But for a few nights with some old friends in Blacksburg, Va., Chancellor got to quietly celebrate his reward.

"He was just (the) same old Kam when he was here this weekend," Foster said. "He wasn't any different. It would have been the ideal time for him to be boasting and feeling good about himself. Not once did he come across that way. That's just Kam."
Includes John Schneider quote on off season priorities .....
"Anything that happened other than being able to sign Kam was a bonus," Schneider said. "It was our absolute No. 1 priority. We talked about it for a long time.

"This whole offseason, from the get-go, has been about Kam. We would have never gotten into any other deals if we felt it was going to put his situation in jeopardy."

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Earl makes that entire secondary better. I'd choose retaining him over Sherman in a heart beat.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":35vg4985 said:
Kam's contract extension
Hey Mcfly, how did you manage to post this in 1969

I got sports almanacs if you're interested

General Manager

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":y4h0ayqx said:
Earl makes that entire secondary better. I'd choose retaining him over Sherman in a heart beat.

I wouldn't Sherman's the best corner in the game.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":3dnz186k said:
Remember when our Safeties were Deon Grant and Brian Russell?

Grant and Russell suck

Thanks for bringing up such painful memories. :shock:

Bakergirl

Reaction score
jlwaters1":2u21plky said:
That's NOT correct. Earl's was a 5 year deal, He's entering year 4, so he'd be a free agent after 2014.
Sherman's was a 4 year deal, he's entering his 3rd year so he'd be a free agent after 2014. So they'd both be free agents at the same time. It's just that Sherman can't be negotiated with until after year 3. Whereas Earl can.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seah ... d-sherman/

I stand corrected. I still think JS is more inclined to worry about the problem he can deal with before the problem he can't. Sherm cannot be negotiated with at this point in time, Earl can. It makes sense for them to bite off one chunk at a time. Now that they are finished with Kam I imagine they will shift focus to their next top priority.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
most important take-away -

Chancellor's cap numbers (this year obviously doesn't matter much)

2014 - 5.75
2015 - 5.55
2016 - 6.1
2017 - 8.1

Not bad really for the first 3 years. Note that the first 3 is almost in line with his 17m guaranteed money. He will be restructured before the big hit in 2017.

Smart money by the FO again.

Latest posts