INCREDIBLE Press Conference

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The only part of the presser I didn't like was Pete and John fumbling through as to why Bobby found out he was released through the leaked press.

John tried to blame Bobby not having an agent, communication channels, blah blah.

IMO inexcusable for one of the most loyal and beloved Hawks of all time. If the press can see the waiver wire or talk to someone inside the building before you called the player yourself?

That's some bush league BS.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":nm6gr1d3 said:
Um, they both said it was on them. Took blame, period.

It was on them, we know that. Doesn't make what they did OK. I expected better, that's all I'm saying.

Fade

Reaction score
Smellyman":c4dpybx5 said:
Fade":c4dpybx5 said:
Welshers":c4dpybx5 said:
One of the greatest press conference's I have ever seen. They've given me renewed confidence in this season. Pete and John made so much sense and said we are going to win. Full confidence in these guys. Truly a transcendental press conference. Total props to those guys. This team is always compete. One bad year? so what. This team will win.

Is this sarcasm? :lol:

The stream I was watching (Hawk's Nest) everyone was laughing at them, and clowning them. Reading the comments on the official live stream they were getting lit up like a Christmas tree. :lol:

commenters were clowning on them? Must have been bad if comments were bad.

Usually nothing more level headed the streaming comments.

I am referring to the fans clowning Pete & John. Not commentators.

Fade

Reaction score
My favorite part was Pete rambling on about philosophy over players.

And then one of the first questions he gets is, wouldn't that lead to square peg round holing players? And he was like "we don't do that?" :lol: :lol:

It was a poorly executed damage control press conference. The Bobby Wagner excuses were laughable, just say you messed up, and move on. Didn't need to hear all of the excuses as to why, which were all poor excuses anyway. And leads to a belief that they may be even more dysfunctional than originally thought.

The theme of the conference was "We've learned nothing." And "We're going to keep doing what we're doing."

Not rebuilding.

So if you enjoy how they've drafted, signed FA's, handled blockbuster trades, coached, etc. for the last 8 years. Then you probably enjoyed that conference. Most didn't because nothing is changing. The same failed process minus the QB.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Fade":23tl2sit said:
So if you enjoy how they've drafted, signed FA's, handled blockbuster trades, coached, etc. for the last 8 years. Then you probably enjoyed that conference. Most didn't because nothing is changing. The same failed process minus the QB.

I'm not willing to go this far.

When we've had ample draft capital and cap space, John and Pete delivered an all time great defense and a trip to two SB's.

It wasn't until they had to figure out how to fit all those stars under the cap and keep those players bought in that they failed.

So now that we're back to option A? I'm willing to see if they can do it again, IF Pete's statement about being open to "modernizing" the team's coaching philosophies. So far that is evident with who he's brought in the past two seasons.

That's a big if I know.

Fade

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":ho31u19c said:
Fade":ho31u19c said:

When we've had ample draft capital and cap space, John and Pete delivered an all time great defense and a trip to two SB's.

It wasn't until they had to figure out how to fit all those stars under the cap and keep those players bought in that they failed.

So now that we're back to option A? I'm willing to see if they can do it again, IF Pete's statement about being open to "modernizing" the team's coaching philosophies. So far that is evident with who he's brought in the past two seasons.

That's a big if I know.

That was when Pete's dinosaur scheme worked, and was ahead of the curve, flukish assembly of talent on day 2 and day 3 picks. That team wasn't built with high picks. And most importantly a franchise QB. Without Wilson none of it would've happened. They could play defense and run the ball before he showed up.

Changing schemes speaks to how thoroughly over matched Pete's been in recent years, and the arrogance to stick to a rigid, outdated philosophy. But also won't be surprised if they regress back to what they've been on defense, as soon as rookie DC gets into trouble, and goes running to Pete for advice.

If they could do it again, they would've already done it through the draft by hitting consistently on day 2 and day 3 picks.

That doesn't magically comeback because Wilson is no longer on the roster. Their track record post Scot McLoughlin speaks for itself.

chrispy

Reaction score
2 things that stuck out to me:

1)Player vs philosophy. Pete is a "players coach." Everyone agrees and he always has been. The philosophy shifts depending on players' talents. But (my interpretation) sometimes players want to play outside the philosophy- too far of a shift. Sherm was a great player, but sometimes put himself above the team. Wilson wants the passing game to be prioritized above running/defense. I'm sure there are lots of examples, but that's beside the point. Ownership decided to stick with philosophy instead of franchise QB. Frankly, it could be the wrong decision, but it's the smart decision. The philosophy brought RW to SEA when every other team passed on him. Philosophy built a Championship team. It's proven.

2)JS, after his first draft, spent about 5 minutes in a Presser talking about how they're going to draft/acquire QBs every offseason. I'm glad to see he's admitting he hasn't lived up to it. Ted Thomson got huge dividends by drafting and developing QBs consistently. Remembering all the "swing for the fences" picks that didn't work out, it seems like a few of them could have been used for best QB available and turned into assets behind RW.

I hope RW wins a SB in Denver. He deserves it. It wouldn't have happened in Seattle.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Fade":oijjvnjp said:
Sgt. Largent":oijjvnjp said:
Fade":oijjvnjp said:

That's a big if I know.

That was when Pete's dinosaur scheme worked, and was ahead of the curve, flukish assembly of talent on day 2 and day 3 picks. That team wasn't built with high picks. And most importantly a franchise QB. Without Wilson none of it would've happened. They could play defense and run the ball before he showed up.

A little bit of a misnomer. Plenty of high picks on those teams.

Wagner
Thomas
Okung
Irvin
Tate
Carpenter

All 1st or 2nd rounders. It wasn't until 2014, 2015, etc that Pete and John got desperate and traded away our higher picks to get what they considered difference makers, like Graham.

Your points are valid, but if we're eating the poop on the spoon from door #1 or poop on the spoon from door #2 because Allen didn't fire Pete?

I'm picking more draft capital and cap space allowing for a larger margin of error with personnel over trying to run it back with an aging Russell Wilson continuing to soak up 20%+ of the cap.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I think I don't care anymore.

I mean, I obviously care enough to still be on a Seahawk board venting about the issue.

But I don't care if they win anymore. Because I don't think they can win enough to matter and because I think it will be that ugly godawful brand of football Pete loves so much.

Ideally, they lose. Often. Often enough to get decent draft picks in a few years. Often enough get high enough picks to bank talent.

And ideally often enough for people to run Pete out of town. That will take some doing because I already see people making excuses for him. We seem to have turned into the old Bills, that is pretty bad.

We will see. As long as Pete is here, we probably not only fail but we likely continue to mortgage the future to prop up the illusion that he was ever an effective NFL coach, when in reality he was just likely loading the roster with better players. But I don't think he was ever even average at tactics & strategy - and now with an average roster, that will be a huge disadvantage against a league with coaches that generally have the advantage against Carroll in those areas.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3e4yt1j5 said:
I think I don't care anymore.

I mean, I obviously care enough to still be on a Seahawk board venting about the issue.

But I don't care if they win anymore. Because I don't think they can win enough to matter and because I think it will be that ugly godawful brand of football Pete loves so much.

Ideally, they lose. Often. Often enough to get decent draft picks in a few years. Often enough get high enough picks to bank talent.

And ideally often enough for people to run Pete out of town. That will take some doing because I already see people making excuses for him. We seem to have turned into the old Bills, that is pretty bad.

We will see. As long as Pete is here, we probably not only fail but we likely continue to mortgage the future to prop up the illusion that he was ever an effective NFL coach, when in reality he was just likely loading the roster with better players. But I don't think he was ever even average at tactics & strategy - and now with an average roster, that will be a huge disadvantage against a league with coaches that generally have the advantage against Carroll in those areas.

But if Pete is so bad and will be so much worse without RW, why ever worry about wins? It'll solve itself, right? Just let it play out and quit complaining. You'll be happy when you're right, and a new coach will come in and do everything right.

Unless of course Pete finds a way to keep doing better than average with an average or worse roster. That in itself is pretty impressive. It may not satisfy those demanding a Super Bowl every year, or going deep in the playoffs to have any joy at all in football. But from a personal- and player-development position, it's great fun to watch.

Fade

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1pcy8k26 said:
Fade":1pcy8k26 said:
Sgt. Largent":1pcy8k26 said:
Fade":1pcy8k26 said:

That's a big if I know.

A little bit of a misnomer. Plenty of high picks on those teams.

Wagner
Thomas
Okung
Irvin
Tate
Carpenter

All 1st or 2nd rounders. It wasn't until 2014, 2015, etc that Pete and John got desperate and traded away our higher picks to get what they considered difference makers, like Graham.

Your points are valid, but if we're eating the poop on the spoon from door #1 or poop on the spoon from door #2 because Allen didn't fire Pete?

I'm picking more draft capital and cap space allowing for a larger margin of error with personnel over trying to run it back with an aging Russell Wilson continuing to soak up 20%+ of the cap.

What have they done with their 2nd rounders since 2013? They have had plenty of drafts to show it. They've had a lot of 1st rounders too, choosing to flush those down the toilet, or trading them away for players they don't know how to use.

The funny thing is with what you're picking. The Seahawks wanted to run it back with Wilson in 2022, this was not their choice. Wilson was the one who wanted off the carnival of crazy. Their plan is to keep doing what their doing and hope they find their next QB in the next year or two. This is plan B for them. Plan A was to continue with Wilson. He was just done with them. Citing drafts from over a decade ago show how unlikely they will get it right this time.

Bruce Irvin was a meh pick. Passing on Chandler Jones, and the guy I wanted Fletcher Cox myself.

Golden Tate & Wagner could've been had in any draft in the last 10 years by Seattle, granted if they didn't trade away their 1sts.

Earl & Okung are the only high picks on the LOB years. Add Earl & Okung on this team and they still suck.

Where's Sherman 5th, KJ Wright 4th, Kam 5th, Maxwell 6th, Wilson 3rd (Good luck with that one.), Where's Avril and Bennett being signed on the cheap?

Instead you get Ziggy & Hyder.

Where's the Beastmode replacement? He only retired 7 years ago.

It's insane this failed regime is allowed to continue on. Haven't had an impactful draft in a decade. Haven't signed a Free Agent worth a damn in a decade. Make bonehead trades like Jamal Adams. Now Wilson is gone. Thanks Jodi.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The problem with Pete, Ad, is that he keeps mortgaging the future to keep himself in place.

It is one thing to lose.

But when you lose you get higher draft picks to help you stock your cupboard and recover.

Carroll has not shown he can draft well, but he has shown he can trade away future draft picks and hamstring us by signing veterans to bigger contracts to try to keep us afloat.

that does 2 things:

1 - it creates salary cap issues later

2 - more importantly, it prevents young players from playing and developing into better players.

So when Pete finally either leaves or dies in his chair, you now have 1-2 years of trying to develop raw talent that was never developed because you keep signing aging vets to big contracts.

I don't mind the losing. Losing would be great if it makes us better. If it helps us reload. But barely winning by selling off everything we need to be competitive later? That is much worse.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Fade":26bh757j said:
What have they done with their 2nd rounders since 2013? They have had plenty of drafts to show it. They've had a lot of 1st rounders too, choosing to flush those down the toilet, or trading them away for players they don't know how to use.

Clark, Reed, Pocic, McDowell, DK, Blair, Taylor and Eskridge.

Those are our 2nd rounders since 2013. Too soon to tell with Eskridge, so if you take him out of the equation that's a 70% hit rate.

btw, I said I agree with you. I've wanted Pete fired for two years now.

But I also wasn't enamored with paying an aging Russell Wilson who's entire game is predicated on his escapability and creativity 50M+, with this coaching staff or a new staff.

gidders

Reaction score
Smacked of a desperate attempt at deflection from answering the base reason why they let the best QB they have ever had leave. CK is not the answer and even assuming a guy out of the league for so long could bring something to the team that Locke & Smith lacks beggers the question why not sign him when he first tried out? It's an ageing coach or a franchise QB with years left at the highest level..Be realistic, can PC really win another SB without a top class QB?

Jville

Reaction score
The truth is there are those that just don't like the Seahawks program.

They are not all in on either its philosophy or culture.

They could just as well cut and paste the same repetitive attacks from last year.

:229031_shrug:

Fade

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1wo1190n said:
Fade":1wo1190n said:

Clark, Reed, Pocic, McDowell, DK, Blair, Taylor and Eskridge.

Those are our 2nd rounders since 2013. Too soon to tell with Eskridge, so if you take him out of the equation that's a 70% hit rate.

btw, I said I agree with you. I've wanted Pete fired for two years now.

But I also wasn't enamored with paying an aging Russell Wilson who's entire game is predicated on his escapability and creativity 50M+, with this coaching staff or a new staff.

The current regime was interested in keeping Wilson. Wilson wanted to leave, the regime isn't doing what you prefer, they're doing what they have no choice but to do. Watching Wilson in Denver is going to be a shock to the system for those on .NET.

Christine Michael
Paul Richardson
Justin Britt

You left some names out, and solid starters in the 2nd round are not hits, that is the baseline expectation for 2nd rounders in the NFL, they are not busts, but not hits either...

Patting the Seahawks on the ass for drafting J.Reed, P.Rich, and Pocic, shows how far they have fallen.

In a decade of drafting in the 2nd round you got 1 pro-bowler, DK Metcalf. And they took Collier & Blair ahead of him. :shock: Frank Clark made Pro-Bowls with KC, but they flipped him for LJ Collier, amazing trade.

If you agree with me then you know this org is in trouble.

Jville

Reaction score
There is a lot we don't know about what goes on at the VMAC.

The Seahawks know who they are as evidenced by the reassuring press conference.

Great Culture!

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Fade":jmz7xym2 said:
Welshers":jmz7xym2 said:
One of the greatest press conference's I have ever seen. They've given me renewed confidence in this season. Pete and John made so much sense and said we are going to win. Full confidence in these guys. Truly a transcendental press conference. Total props to those guys. This team is always compete. One bad year? so what. This team will win.

The stream I was watching (Hawk's Nest) everyone was laughing at them, and clowning them. Reading the comments on the official live stream they were getting lit up like a Christmas tree. :lol:

Brandon isn't as smart as he thinks he is.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Fade":2gh5zhai said:
Smellyman":2gh5zhai said:
Fade":2gh5zhai said:
Welshers":2gh5zhai said:

commenters were clowning on them? Must have been bad if comments were bad.

Usually nothing more level headed the streaming comments.

I am referring to the fans clowning Pete & John. Not commentators.

I know and referred to you speaking about commenters and not commentators.