JOHN, PETE ADMIT U MADE MISTAKE

Boom84

Reaction score
Treghc":18psl3r6 said:
Boom84":18psl3r6 said:
CPHawk":18psl3r6 said:
Boom84":18psl3r6 said:
Look at some games from last year's Saints performances. I didn't see any performance that led you to believe his heart was into blocking.

Yes, he's not been asked to do this much blocking before, but Seattle's offensive identity is clearly established as one much more run-heavy that what Payton and Brees run. Graham knew that upon the trade, Michael Bennett indicated it was a weakness for Jimmy they exploited, and Jimmy mentioned in the preseason that he'd block more and be good at it. Well the effectiveness as a blocker has not shown up. If it shows up hallelujah, but I don't see any evidence to indicate that will happen.

Again, nice player, just not the best fit for what this team needs from the TE position in my opinion.

Your entire argument is moot, given the fact he wasn't asked to block. 60-70% one time he lined up out wide. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

That IS the point, why are we splitting him out so much? When doing so, what happens, or more clearly who lines up at the TE position to block when we need to run and control the edge? Will that be Graham or another player? Today it seemed to be Helfet was more effective when we needed to control the edge on running plays. The team even inserted Alvin Bailey as a extra blocker. My thought here is if Graham could at all be an asset in this area, those players might not have had to come in to help the offense in this resspect.

So if 60-70% of the time he's split wide, then in essence he's a slot receiver, NOT a TE. Maybe Graham likes that as he certainly wanted to be paid like a WR heading into last season (which he went to arbitration for) with the Saints.

Ultimately, what has the team gained with Graham split 60-70% of the time that the team could not have gotten from a combined contribution of Willson, Lockett, Helfet, and Matthews? Even giving the benefit of the doubt of Lockett not being a known commodity at the time Graham was acquired (he wasn't even drafted by the team yet), Luke Willson and Cooper Helfet definitely were. If Graham is not going to be utilized or when utilized in the blocking aspect of the position will be a liability, I don't believe his acquisition was worth it for this team.

How do you expect a guy - who was rarely ever asked to block - to block better? The only way you get better at something is by doing it. He'll catch on. Give him some time and don't overreact.

Sure, and you're right about not overreacting, it was a bit harsh to wish for his departure after three games. It's more accurate that I meant to raise as a personal concern of 'whether the fit works' as the team forges it's offensive identify throughout the season. I'm definitely hoping for the best and a championship celebration on Levi's Stadium field for the Seahawks in early February next year. :)

LymonHawk

Reaction score
MysterMatt":16i1fmtz said:
Hawkstorian":16i1fmtz said:
I remember when I was much younger and took it all way too seriously.
You was crazy back then.

Wasn't that during his 'wild' days?

The newbies here might not remember when he was called, "Mad Dog 'Storian."

peppersjap

Reaction score
if that trade was a mistake I can't wait for the next one they make. We have never had a threat like Jimmy Graham in the passing game and he showed it today. I remember when many were also saying that trading multiple draft choices to pick Tyler Lockett was a mistake too, those people seem to have gone silent!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3c3dpy4s said:
sc85sis":3c3dpy4s said:
There is no "diva" act with regard to Graham and blocking, he just has never had to do it before and isn't very good at it at this point.
This. 'Aints used him pretty much as a WR.
LOL, Imagine that, NO using Graham for what he's best at.

Latest posts