IMO Pete was fired & still wants to coach

BigMeach

Reaction score
Seattle was his first NFL coordinator role.

Most "coaching trees" are not as strictly gatekept as we think. There's not an exact science to it.
Let's be real, it's simply THAT Seahawks team was so good and PC was the coach of THAT team. He was assistant head coach and line coach for the Mora hawks before this and you don't see anyone saying he's from the Mora tree. My point is that it's nonsense when it comes to this discussion. If you don't want him that's fine, if you do that's fine, but we're not getting the same guy only younger. You aren't paying attention if you truly believe that.

toffee

Reaction score
I dont know, Toffee. If you listen to what Pete said, he wanted to coach here, but not change the approach or 'transition' in his last year under contract. So they mutually agreed it was time.

I dont think for a second they looked to trade him. I doubt it was even a possobility that crossed their minds.

I think it was time. And i think if anything, Jody made it clear 2 years ago that things had to get better. Pete and John got the roster rebuild going, but the approach needed a shift. Like Pete said the team had lost its edge. That was a pretty honest self assessment of where he failed.

Will he want to coach sonewhere else? I woukdnt be surprised simply because of how competitive he is. But i think a job somewhere else, with a different owner, different GM, without everything hes built here...

He may do it. But I don't think it's necessarily front of mind. He wanted to be here with his guys... past and present, to finish what they started.
I don't think NFL teams are lining to trade for Pete, college is more likely.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Let's be real, it's simply THAT Seahawks team was so good and PC was the coach of THAT team. He was assistant head coach and line coach for the Mora hawks before this and you don't see anyone saying he's from the Mora tree. My point is that it's nonsense when it comes to this discussion. If you don't want him that's fine, if you do that's fine, but we're not getting the same guy only younger. You aren't paying attention if you truly believe that.
Whoa whoa now.

I'm just saying that he's a valid addition to Carroll's tree. The vast majority of the famous Walsh tree coaches were coaches well before they worked for Walsh. Same for Reid tree.

I'm not saying that it means we're getting a perfect Dan Quinn who instantly is amazing at everything and has the defense generationally good in a year. I'm not even advocating for Quinn.

Fade

Reaction score
Why do people keep saying DQ is from the PC coaching tree? He was coaching for almost 2 decades before joining Pete's staff and a decade in the NFL. Whether you want him or not, he wasn't some young buck coming up as a PC understudy.
Yes. Very annoying to constantly see.

He's more a Mora guy than anything.

He abandoned Pete's defensive scheme years ago. Pete would fire him, if he attempted to run what he is running in Dallas, which I would call a 2 Man scheme.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Yes. Very annoying to constantly see.

He's more a Mora guy than anything.

He abandoned Pete's defensive scheme years ago. Pete would fire him, if he attempted to run what he is running in Dallas, which I would call a 2 Man scheme.
Do... do you think that coaches further down the tree aren't expected to evolve from the originator of the "tree" in question?

Do you know how trees work?

knownone

Reaction score
DQ is part of Pete's coaching tree. Let's not square circles.

Fade

Reaction score
I watched Pete's presser, and he was "fired" because he literally wanted to run it back, and keep his coaches.

That was his downfall, too darn loyal to coaches that simply weren't good enough.

The other take away was he definitely would like to keep coaching if he gets an offer he likes. I'll root for him, I'm just glad it will be somewhere else as it wasn't working here anymore.

renofox

Reaction score
I watched Pete's presser, and he was "fired" because he literally wanted to run it back, and keep his coaches.

That was his downfall, too darn loyal to coaches that simply weren't good enough.

The other take away was he definitely would like to keep coaching if he gets an offer he likes. I'll root for him, I'm just glad it will be somewhere else as it wasn't working here anymore.
And Jody can hold him hostage for draft picks, if she wants!

knownone

Reaction score
He was with Mora longer, and runs more of what Mora ran on defense.

I consider him a Mora guy.
Consider him whatever you want. He's still part of Pete's coaching tree.

BigMeach

Reaction score
Whoa whoa now.

I'm just saying that he's a valid addition to Carroll's tree. The vast majority of the famous Walsh tree coaches were coaches well before they worked for Walsh. Same for Reid tree.

I'm not saying that it means we're getting a perfect Dan Quinn who instantly is amazing at everything and has the defense generationally good in a year. I'm not even advocating for Quinn.

My apologies if you thought that response was entirely directed at you. I was clarifying my original statement and talking more towards the general sentiment about Quinn not specifically to your thought on Quinn.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
My apologies if you thought that response was entirely directed at you. I was clarifying my original statement and talking more towards the general sentiment about Quinn not specifically to your thought on Quinn.
Oh, gotcha. Yeah no worries dawg

knownone

Reaction score
So Kyle Shanahan is part of Dan Quinn's coaching tree???

Hahaha hahaha. No.
Shanahan was an OC in the NFL for seven years before joining DQ's staff. DQ spent four years in Seattle, and it was DQ's first professional DC job. Then he left and brought the entire Pete Carroll philosophy (Tell the Truth Monday, Competition Wednesday, etc.) to Atlanta.

Meanwhile, you think he's a part of Jim Mora's tree because he was his quality control coach for three years.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I really don’t see a team hiring Pete as the head coach in the NFL but I guess we will see. I could see him on a staff though

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
So Kyle Shanahan is part of Dan Quinn's coaching tree???

Hahaha hahaha. No.
This is such a shamefully dishonest comparison.

Dan Quinn coached under Carroll for 3 years. Dan Quinn did so on the side of the ball that was Carroll's specialty. He did so first as an assistant, and then he got his first college coordinator job. He then got his first PRO coordinator job under Carroll.

That is a valid part of a coaching tree, and is not comparable to Shanahan being an offensive coordinator ON HIS THIRD TEAM for 2 years under a defensive head coach.