IMO Pete was fired & still wants to coach

JustTheTip

Reaction score
There is zero doubt that he still wants to coach. he was most definitely fired. The thing that bothers me. The most is I understand his attachment to the city and our championship and everything but having him here actually hampers us and getting a new coaching staff installed who wants the old boss advising that the new boss is not doing a good job.. just a thought
I see the interviews going something like:

"No, Pete isn't involved. Those were just words to pay him respect."

keasley45

Reaction score
That's what I took from his presser. It wasn't "mutual." We MUST go with an offensive mind for our next HC. Gotta keep up with Shanny & McVay. DQ would be a huge mistake. You don't fire PC just to get a younger version of him.

Pete was given an ultimatum that involved letting go of his guys and he declined.

He said in an only slightly veiled way that he 'competed' for his guys and what they were doing.

He also got pretty emotional when talking about the 'families'

My guess? They said he could stick around if he let go of Hurtt and others and change the overall approach. Like Martindale, he declined and chose stepping aside and letting John build it in the way he believes is the future.

The difference between us and the Giants... this organization is all class. All transperency. All honesty. All love.

Given the choice that was presented, Pete and the FO agreed he would step aside.

Ive said it many times. Pete has been one of the most misunderstood, mischarterized and underappreciated coaches in sports. If John is successful in the coming years... who brought John here? Pete.

He was NEVER a power monger. He was ALWAYS empowering. The man is the epitomy of leadership and grace.

Although i think its time for a new chapter, i think whatever success we have will be due in no small way to Pete. His fingerprints will be on this franchise for a long time to come.

OP
OP
James in PA

James in PA

Reaction score
Pete was given an ultimatum that involved letting go of his guys and he declined.

He said in an only slightly veiled way that he 'competed' for his guys and what they were doing.

My guess? They said he could stick around if he let go of Hurtt and others and change the overall approach. Like Martindale, he declined and chose stepping aside and letting John build it in the way he believes is the future.

The difference between us and the Giants... this organization is all class. All transperency. All honesty. All love.

Given the choice that was presented, Pete and the FO agreed he would step aside.

Ive said it many times. Pete has been one of the most misunderstood, mischarterized and underappreciated coaches in sports. If John is successful in the coming years... who brought John here? Pete.

He was NEVER a power monger. He was ALWAYS empowering. The man is the epitomy of leadership and grace.

Although i think its time for a new chapter, i think whatever success we have will be due in no small way to Pete. His fingerprints will be on this franchise for a long time to come.
You could be right, but if Pete was willing to lose his job over Hurtt that would be insanity on his part. The guy was way in over his head.

toffee

Reaction score
A few observations and thoughts:

In yesterday's presser, Pete said that he will be coaching next year.

In today's announcement, Pete wasn't elevated to team president etc., ie with some level of influences. He will just be an advisor. Ie with no influence.

In view of above, I think Pete wanted to hold on to the job, but couldn't. I also think that the team would be hoping for a trade on Pete Carroll to another NFL team, so they can have some draft pick or picks. When they couldn't get any trade partners, they might just release him.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
There is zero doubt that he still wants to coach. he was most definitely fired. The thing that bothers me. The most is I understand his attachment to the city and our championship and everything but having him here actually hampers us and getting a new coaching staff installed who wants the old boss advising that the new boss is not doing a good job.. just a thought
Yeah. Having the old boss in the building is never a good idea. Gives unclear messages about who really is in charge.

keasley45

Reaction score
You could be right, but if Pete was willing to lose his job over Hurtt that would be insanity on his part. The guy was way in over his head.

Ahhh. Folks might see it that way, but Pete has always been a builder of people more than a sports coach. Becausr he understands as all good leaders do that if you get the human part right, the rest will follow. The greats have that in common. Look at the old tapes of Lombardi and track how many times his quotes to life vs those that relate to football. People in their eyes are what make the thing go.

Its just that right now, the people that Pete chose werent the right guys for the organization to reach its goals. But he wasn't going to change his approach.

Pete was true to himself and his beliefs to the end. He was true to Russ, Tre, KNJ, KJ, ADB...Lynch... he was more into them attaining their success than anything. So for him... i think he believed that he and his guys coukd get it done. And the journey for Pete was always more important than anything else.

It's exactly like he said though. It was time for John to take the organization to the next level.

Mad Dog

Reaction score

Umm the Giants are a very classy organization and the owners have been amongst the most well respected for eons. Just saying.

Pete’s a solid dude but it was time. His approach just wasn’t working. The firing was handled with the dignity it deserved. But it’s time to move on.

And he is 73 and despite his energy, he still wasn’t showing the ability to fix problems which is a hall mark of the inflexible mind of aging. In my mind, the only people that think 70 year olds should be running things are 70 year olds.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
As much as I appreciate 10 and 9 years ago I would rather he go somewhere else to coach than to be "advising" the Seahawks on anything including a new coaching hire and the draft.

keasley45

Reaction score
A few observations and thoughts:

In yesterday's presser, Pete said that he will be coaching next year.

In today's announcement, Pete wasn't elevated to team president etc., ie with some level of influences. He will just be an advisor. Ie with no influence.

In view of above, I think Pete wanted to hold on to the job, but couldn't. I also think that the team would be hoping for a trade on Pete Carroll to another NFL team, so they can have some draft pick or picks. When they couldn't get any trade partners, they might just release him.

I dont know, Toffee. If you listen to what Pete said, he wanted to coach here, but not change the approach or 'transition' in his last year under contract. So they mutually agreed it was time.

I dont think for a second they looked to trade him. I doubt it was even a possobility that crossed their minds.

I think it was time. And i think if anything, Jody made it clear 2 years ago that things had to get better. Pete and John got the roster rebuild going, but the approach needed a shift. Like Pete said the team had lost its edge. That was a pretty honest self assessment of where he failed.

Will he want to coach sonewhere else? I woukdnt be surprised simply because of how competitive he is. But i think a job somewhere else, with a different owner, different GM, without everything hes built here...

He may do it. But I don't think it's necessarily front of mind. He wanted to be here with his guys... past and present, to finish what they started.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
I want to see what JS does on his own, making the big boy decisions.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Umm the Giants are a very classy organization and the owners have been amongst the most well respected for eons. Just saying.

Pete’s a solid dude but it was time. His approach just wasn’t working. The firing was handled with the dignity it deserved. But it’s time to move on.

And he is 73 and despite his energy, he still wasn’t showing the ability to fix problems which is a hall mark of the inflexible mind of aging. In my mind, the only people that think 70 year olds should be running things are 70 year olds.
Here's a 28 year old saying that I think that's horsepiss.

His stubborn belief in his guys is what undid him. He had no connection to anyone in the beginning and acting like it. But he held on for too long to everyone, because he believed in them. He believed he could help them succeed.

Maybe it was time. But goddamn it, that belief is special. It'd hard to come by. It was his undoing, but at the end of the day? The man was still winning more than he lost, and he was still doing it his way, doing right by his hires.

And I hated his assistants.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
If the Panthers are smart, they will get him. He can make their QB look good, and he can build the framework of an org there that can then bring in a HC to start winning.

Pete has a knack for making limited QBs look good. Stemming all the way back to USC.
He is getting up in years, but if you want to turn an org around in 3 years - probably worth bringing him in.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
Pete's next big challenge might be right ahead.

There's a job open in LA. The Chargers need a culture guy to put butts in seats, and LA loves Carroll. He's a legend, and he pretty much guarantees you a .500 season at worst.

The Chargers ownership needs asses in seats. Who's going to put more asses in seats than Carroll? LA is apathetic about the sport. Carroll is one of the few who has gotten them to care before.

On Carroll's end, well... enter Justin Herbert. Carroll described his ideal quarterback as Carson Palmer. Said he's never seen a more ideal prospect in his life. Justin Herbert is very, very, very similar. He is the absolute closest thing to Palmer in today's NFL. Herbert needs a QB friendly coach, and Carroll is that in spades.

It's the perfect fit. It's mutually beneficial.
Carroll for LA's 1st and conditional 3rd? I'd take it.

(Condition being he provides them with a playoff berth)

kidhawk

Reaction score
Pete said on Monday that he planned to coach here next year so saying it wasn’t mutual is just stating the obvious. I hope Pete stays in his advisor role and gets more quality family time while still getting to see this thing he’s got going through. This team has a good nucleus and I’d like to see us get him another ring while he’s still in the organization.

I am also glad that John is stay in the and taking the reins. That, to me, is the best news to come out of today.

GemCity

Reaction score

I’ve been on the “Fire Pete” train for a few years now. But, I cooled off this season.

I’ve always appreciated him. After/around the Bengals game, I started to have those thoughts again. Multiple OCs and DCs…Pete had ultimate responsibility.

Who knows if the Seahawks will fare better or worse…?!?! But, it was time for change.

I just now watched his presser….feeling like it was the right move but oddly emotional. 14 years….

It feels like loosing a pet or something. I know that sounds crude…I know it was time for change (at least, felt it was). But…that doesn’t remove this strange sadness.

Legend. I’ll miss him.

keasley45

Reaction score
I’ve been on the “Fire Pete” train for a few years now. But, I cooled off this season.

I’ve always appreciated him. After/around the Bengals game, I started to have those thoughts again. Multiple OCs and DCs…Pete had ultimate responsibility.

Who knows if the Seahawks will fare better or worse…?!?! But, it was time for change.

I just now watched his presser….feeling like it was the right move but oddly emotional. 14 years….

It feels like loosing a pet or something. I know that sounds crude…I know it was time for change (at least, felt it was). But…that doesn’t remove this strange sadness.

Legend. I’ll miss him.
Yeah. Once you separate recent performance from who and what he is and what he's built here, it's hard to not appreciate him.

He's not just reshaped football in Seattle, but he's affected the league in ways few contemporary coaches have.

He is truly, and undeniably one of the best to ever do it. And he did it for our Seattle Seahawks.

And I agree. Like all pioneers who rise as a result of their commitment to a unique way of approaching their craft and creating success, that same dogged commitment and undying belief, often ultimately, very obviously signals the time for change.

The dude won't be fully appreciated until he's wearing that gold jacket. And even then, he will have his detractors.

But man were we lucky to have him. Him, Paul, John, Jody...not just phenomenal leadership, but a phenomenal story.

Camelot like...

You could begroan the losses and falling short, but not the quality and ability of the people leading the franchise.

And this transition, the grace in which it's been handled is just a testament to the greatness of all of it.

keasley45

Reaction score

We will see where Daboll lands in a year or two. There is obvious disharmony there. I personally don't think Daboll is a high character guy. Just my opinion after watching his pressers and now seeing the relationships inside the staff. And I'm sure the Giants have a solid organization. It's just not the Hawks FO and leadership.

The rest of what you said? I agree it was time for Pete to move on. But the idea that a coach in his 70s can't cut it? Can't go there with you.

GemCity

Reaction score
Yeah. Once you separate recent performance from who and what he is and what he's built here, it's hard to not appreciate him.

He's not just reshaped football in Seattle, but he's affected the league in ways few contemporary coaches have.

He is truly, and undeniably one of the best to ever do it. And he did it for our Seattle Seahawks.

And I agree. Like all pioneers who rise as a result of their commitment to a unique way of approaching their craft and creating success, that same dogged commitment and undying belief, often ultimately, very obviously signals the time for change.

The dude won't be fully appreciated until he's wearing that gold jacket. And even then, he will have his detractors.

But man were we lucky to have him. Him, Paul, John, Jody...not just phenomenal leadership, but a phenomenal story.

Camelot like...

You could begroan the losses and falling short, but not the quality and ability of the people leading the franchise.

And this transition, the grace in which it's been handled is just a testament to the greatness of all of it.
Love this.