IMO Pete was fired & still wants to coach

James in PA

Reaction score
That's what I took from his presser. It wasn't "mutual." We MUST go with an offensive mind for our next HC. Gotta keep up with Shanny & McVay. DQ would be a huge mistake. You don't fire PC just to get a younger version of him.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Of course it wasn't mutual. They talk in private, let Pete know he isn't going to be the coach next year, and say they're willing to call it mutual if he agrees to it. Happens a lot.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
That's what I took from his presser. It wasn't "mutual." We MUST go with an offensive mind for our next HC. Gotta keep up with Shanny & McVay. DQ would be a huge mistake. You don't fire PC just to get a younger version of him.
Dan Quinn isn't even a younger version of Pete, he's his own thing altogether. It wouldn't be the same culture, or even the same defensive scheme. Just because someone comes from the same program, doesn't mean you're going to get the same culture. Just look at any of Bill Billichicks many understudies that have flamed out.

Dan Quinn is his own thing and if you're hoping to recreate Pete's 2010s run, it won't happen underneath Quinn. It would be a different defense, different approach altogether.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Pete came as close as you’re going to get to admitting it wasn’t mutual in the press conference.

He was also asked directly about other HC gigs and did not dismiss it. Maybe he ends up back in college if the right opportunity comes open?

Last edited:

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I wonder if Pete will get any offers in college or pro. yeah he'll be 73, but is a very young 73. He obviously still wants to coach.
His philosophy is so dependent on elite players at all levels of the defense.

There is no give and take, with Carroll’s defense. It will work with elite players but without you are scraping the barrel and holding on with masking tape.

We can easily see why it doesn’t work:

1st level defense: 3 or 4 man rush; these can’t to the QB, you are too have a long day
2nd level defense: Wagner speed is gone; coverage skills not great, Wagner lets receivers catch and then they have to make the tackle; this year alot of missed tackles
3rd level: terrible tackling, out of position DBs and cushions and zone coverage doesn’t play to players cornerbacks strengths.

This was a collection of bad decisions and game planning this year.

All three levels of defense has massive holes in them and collectively makes Carroll’s system dysfunctional and will not work….

Here’s the kicker, it’s really been like this for the last 7-8 years since Seattle’s defense has been solid….

jeremiah

Reaction score
WOO HOOO, it is about frickin time.

DeSeahawk

Reaction score
Ok if he is staying with the hawks as an advisory roll, that mean he is under contract ? Seattle could make a team trade draft Capitol if that's the case. Possible ?

FloridaSeahawk18

Reaction score
Pete going to LA or LV and bringing in Russ would be absolutely nuts. The story line of the year

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It seems clear to me that this was not a mutual decision. He wanted to keep going with the team as HC. He said all the right things as you would expect a classy man to say.

KinesProf

Reaction score
I wonder if Pete will get any offers in college or pro. yeah he'll be 73, but is a very young 73. He obviously still wants to coach.
Even at 73, if I were a team with an opening and his representatives expressed an interest I would 100% interview him.

Just because time is up in Seattle doesn't mean he wouldn't be a great hire for someone else (see Andy Reid; younger, but hired immediately after a good run in Philly). A lot of loser franchises could use the injection of a winner - Chargers, Raiders.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Pete's next big challenge might be right ahead.

There's a job open in LA. The Chargers need a culture guy to put butts in seats, and LA loves Carroll. He's a legend, and he pretty much guarantees you a .500 season at worst.

The Chargers ownership needs asses in seats. Who's going to put more asses in seats than Carroll? LA is apathetic about the sport. Carroll is one of the few who has gotten them to care before.

On Carroll's end, well... enter Justin Herbert. Carroll described his ideal quarterback as Carson Palmer. Said he's never seen a more ideal prospect in his life. Justin Herbert is very, very, very similar. He is the absolute closest thing to Palmer in today's NFL. Herbert needs a QB friendly coach, and Carroll is that in spades.

It's the perfect fit. It's mutually beneficial.

BigMeach

Reaction score
Why do people keep saying DQ is from the PC coaching tree? He was coaching for almost 2 decades before joining Pete's staff and a decade in the NFL. Whether you want him or not, he wasn't some young buck coming up as a PC understudy.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Why do people keep saying DQ is from the PC coaching tree? He was coaching for almost 2 decades before joining Pete's staff and a decade in the NFL. Whether you want him or not, he wasn't some young buck coming up as a PC understudy.
Seattle was his first NFL coordinator role.

Most "coaching trees" are not as strictly gatekept as we think. There's not an exact science to it.

OP
OP
James in PA

James in PA

Reaction score
Pete's next big challenge might be right ahead.

There's a job open in LA. The Chargers need a culture guy to put butts in seats, and LA loves Carroll. He's a legend, and he pretty much guarantees you a .500 season at worst.

The Chargers ownership needs asses in seats. Who's going to put more asses in seats than Carroll? LA is apathetic about the sport. Carroll is one of the few who has gotten them to care before.

On Carroll's end, well... enter Justin Herbert. Carroll described his ideal quarterback as Carson Palmer. Said he's never seen a more ideal prospect in his life. Justin Herbert is very, very, very similar. He is the absolute closest thing to Palmer in today's NFL. Herbert needs a QB friendly coach, and Carroll is that in spades.

It's the perfect fit. It's mutually beneficial.
Good call. I hope Pete goes there and kicks ass (just not against us).

hawkfannj

Reaction score
There is zero doubt that he still wants to coach. he was most definitely fired. The thing that bothers me. The most is I understand his attachment to the city and our championship and everything but having him here actually hampers us and getting a new coaching staff installed who wants the old boss advising that the new boss is not doing a good job.. just a thought

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Good call. I hope Pete goes there and kicks ass (just not against us).
And he very well may have some good coaching years left. What was happening here could have just been stagnation. Or maybe getting removed in this way is a wake up call to Pete for some self-evaluation. I think M787 made a very good case for why this seems like the most likely move if he does in fact move on to another coaching position. There is nothing but win in it even if the coaching doesn't quite work out.