Props to Jody

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The writing was always on the wall that Jody wasn't messing around. The narrative about her being a do-nothing was a fanciful invention of the fandom. This fanbase has been seeing ghosts, man. We've been inventing bogeymen under the bed to legitimize our own angst.

Good prose, man. I dig good prose.

It's completely true. We love to invent fantasies to pacify our preconceived notions of what we deem as "reality".

I don't fault any of us as we can't help ourselves due to our feverish allegiance. How else could you possibly be impartial with such an emotional attachment? We state opinions as fact because we desperately wish it to be so. Yet, to admit we know literally nothing about the inner workings of the empire is to relinquish any and all ideology that we might know something.

We don't.

This is why fans are fans, coaches are coaches, owners are owners and players are players.

Jody's actions today are a sober reminder that we don't know jack. Just like wearing that particular jersey has no bearing on the outcome of a game, nothing we say in a fan forum has any measurable basis in reality other than educated guesses.

We're just all along for the ride.

Hawknight

Reaction score
Heard a little tid bit over the radio this morning: It's possible she's looking at this from a financial prospective as well. She will eventually sell off the team, you can't necessarily get the biggest bang for your buck if the teams is sitting average with the fans calling for someones head. Finding a new coach with a new strategy on finding ways to win is more of an investment, although nothings ever guaranteed...especially in the NFL. This was no way an easy decision for Jody, but in the end..business is business..you have to put all personal baggage aside. Jody did just that.

Fade

Reaction score
JS wanted more power. He interviewed with the Lions, he was on his way out the door if he didn't get it.

Contract wise, he got more years than Pete. This was intentional. The baton was being passed.

I think it's happening a year or two earlier than many would like, but only because Pete's defenses have been abysmal. They couldn't run it back with the same staff as Pete was proposing.

I can tolerate a lot of stupid crap. But I couldn't tolerate ineptitude on defense from a defensive head coach. The Seahawks saw it the same way.

Pete gave them no choice, they had to make a change.

And we should all be glad Jody had the balls to pull the trigger. This is HUGE.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I certainly owe Jody an apology, I didn't think she'd have the stomach to fire Pete.

And I have no idea if the team will be better, but for the 1st time in a very LONG time it's exciting to see what JS and whoever the new coach is do.

NoGain

Reaction score
For me, the fact of the matter was that Jody was largely a ghost to me; I didn't have anything more than a wild guess as to what she'd do. My guess was that she signed PC for the time she did because she was confident he'd be a good custodian/place holder of the team/franchise until she had the opportunity to seek a sale of the team sometime after June 2024 when they wouldn't be indebted to the state for a substantial sum of money from the proceeds of the sale of the team.

This threw that guess of mine out the window. By firing PC and his coaching staff, she's basically signaled that she's going to be around as an owner for awhile. At least that's my educated guess now. You can't expect a desirable coaching candidate to come in knowing that his position is tenuous due to the potential imminent sale of the team in the nearer term future, can you?

It's amazing how in one day I have to completely change my way of thinking about this team.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I think this whole thing is a great reminder that assumptions are not facts.
And I'm guilty of assuming she wouldn't move on from Pete. Sorry, Jody.

Now, go get Quinn, Ben Johnson or Vrabel for HC. And a new OC and DC. Or at the minimum, let JS go get this coaching staff revamped.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
I think this whole thing is a great reminder that assumptions are not facts.
And I'm guilty of assuming she wouldn't move on from Pete. Sorry, Jody.

Now, go get Quinn, Ben Johnson or Vrabel for HC. And a new OC and DC. Or at the minimum, let JS go get this coaching staff revamped.
Yeah, definitely a reminder that the fairy tale land people live in is just that. A made up tale in someone's head that isn't grounded at all in reality.

Whomever they get, I just hope they vet the next coach extremely well. They have got to hit on the hire and get focused on what this team is going to look like over the next 5+ seasons.

I really want to feel great about the coordinators as well.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I wouldn't rule out DeBoer either. I don't want him to leave UW, but if he did, coming to the Hawks, I would be stoked.
All that guy does is win.

GemCity

Reaction score
Uhh…I’m not feeling guilty…or eating crow. He’ll, I don’t even know if I said Jody wouldn’t sell…the search function in this forum is muy excelente~.

Point is…fan forums are full of speculation. It’s ok for you to feel a certain way…or speculate (perhaps hopeful speculation). Its ok to voice your opinion..and be wrong…unless your name is Jody Allen, John Schneider…etc…

When you start making $$$ on .net because you were/are right, holla atcha boy.

Until then, you and I should take everything posted here with a grain of salt. Try to appreciate the different viewpoints…and laugh once in awhile.

Boycie

Reaction score
I didn't think she would do it, but she did the right thing. She did what was best for the organization instead of taking the easy way out. She made the tough but correct call. She did what Paul would have done!

No longer "Judy," it's Jody damnit!
I think she was patient because her brother hired Pete. I like the fact that like PA, she has that business acumen and knows when it is time to separate feelings from business.