It’s Ben Johnson right?

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
If you’re Ben Johnson or any other candidate, and you had your choice of Seattle or DC, who would you be likely to pick?

Seattle, with Washington, no state tax, not sure about DC area….

Offensively, you can get a jump start real quick with the pieces Seattle has to offer…

DC, who really is it? McLaurin and Sam Howell? Their running back isn’t bad but I think K9 is better.

DC has some studs up front defensively. Seattle is in need of studs of front on both sides.

But if you’re Ben Johnson, the possibility of pairing DK, Lockett, JSN, K9 and with a QOTF might be too hard to pass up!!!
New owner #2 pick and a chance to essentially build your own - with lots of cap space and a big pay day - Washington is pretty enticing

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
DC is the absolute perfect job for any coach who wants to build a team in his own image. Flush with cap, a pick that'll net a bona fide elite QB prospect and then further excellent capital year 1, and a fairly renowned ownership group in stark contrast to Snyder.

Really, really, really nice job. I'd take it in a heartbeat over Seattle's if I were looking for a job. If they nail the quarterback and grab a top 10 coach, I think they're Super Bowl contenders within 3 years.

Seattle has better talent now, but you're kinda locked into the roster more here. You've got to like the fit, because you don't have the same war chest to build the team up in your preferred fashion as a HC. Very dependent on fit with the GM, too.

projectorfreak

Reaction score
I think the culture already here , the stadium , fans and rep are a big draw and why we haven't taken a coach already makes us a good destination as opposed to a mess of a team with no real identity at all as to who or what they are
A team with a pretty good amount of offensive weapons , several guys that should be cut to create enough capital and a hands off owner would be easily as good as a team with an owner group that has little track record , could move on from you in 2 years if it doesn't produce immediately
I dunno ' with our team going to be sold eventually , it could be a toss up and in the end location could be the motivating factor , I just feel we have a heck of a lot to offer , track record , team , owner , facility , you name it
Not a bad gig , 5 drinks and goin on 1 am i ain't doin any ggoooglin to find out what deecee has that could be better

Wheetie

Reaction score
New owner #2 pick and a chance to essentially build your own - with lots of cap space and a big pay day - Washington is pretty enticing
New Owner vs Jody = wash

Schneider vs their new GM = wash

Lots of cap space can be created here also
= wash

#2 pick vs #16 pick for QB in a QB rich draft = wash

Big pay day can happen in Seattle also = wash, maybe advantage Seattle

Living in Seattle vs Washington = Advantage Seattle, my opinion.

I think the decision is a tougher one for Johnson than many may think. Really could come down to $$ and as I've said before there's no reason for Seattle to be outbid for a decision of this magnitude.

Jac

Reaction score
New Owner vs Jody = wash

= wash

I think the decision is a tougher one for Johnson than many may think. Really could come down to $$ and as I've said before there's no reason for Seattle to be outbid for a decision of this magnitude.
Arguments can be made (and I remain hopeful if pessimistic), but all signs point to Washington being a much more attractive situation than Seattle for Johnson. They have a new GM so they'll be building this together. It's a former legendary franchise that hasn't seen success for decades, so it's a huge opportunity to play hero. But maybe more than any other reason that's been mentioned, he was born in South Carolina and went to high school and college in North Carolina. That's a ton of friends and family a relatively short drive down I-95. Now, one can argue that's potentially mitigated by him not being interested in the Carolina job so who knows. I'm also as confused as others what Washington is doing with Quinn right now other than the horizontal hire/promote, but that'd be such a weird move for Quinn given he's a former HC and current Dallas DC.

BASF

Reaction score
Don’t remember where I read it, but supposedly they aren’t Rooney Rule compliant yet, but have something scheduled for Saturday.

After that if we’re still waiting to hear, playoff coaches make sense.
When we did second interview with Patrick Graham on Tuesday, we were compliant. We are waiting because someone dropped the ball on the window to talk to Mike McDonald.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
New Owner vs Jody = wash

= wash

We will see. Your opinions may not match with sir Ben’s

keasley45

Reaction score
New Owner vs Jody = wash

= wash

Agree with most of this but woukd lean a bit Seattle on ownership and GM simply because of the continuity and quality. Rookie qb with growing pains and a roll of the dice vs Geno? Geno pretty much guarantees 9 to 10 wins assuming we stay status quo or improve even slightly.

Talent wise... a bird in hand is worth two in the bush. Draft picks are nice, but don't guarantee anything. Seattle has a gifted roster.

Honestly the biggest factor IMO for him choosing between Seattle and Washington MAY BE location. He's already in the Baltimore DC metro. Having grown up there, it has a HUGE attraction in that it's proximate to everything. It's a big market. Great schools.... everything is there .... including he and his family. We'd have to be significantly better an opportunity to get him out of the Balt DC metro area.... unless he's craving the beauty of the PNW.

seahawks08

Reaction score
When we did second interview with Patrick Graham on Tuesday, we were compliant. We are waiting because someone dropped the ball on the window to talk to Mike McDonald.
No one dropped the ball on Macdonald. Number 1 seeds cannot be talked to rule, so that’s the reason. Seahawks have already made a decision and so is the future HC know as well. There is no way an organization waits, they only wait to announce to ensure compliance to the tampering rule. Who it is nobody knows. Hawks are the most organized when it comes to secrecy. It’s one of the most valued traits in NFL.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Waiting around for the hell of it, is not ideal. Unless, the guy you want is still coaching and you have no choice but to wait for him.
I'm hoping this is the case as the candidates I'm most interested in are still coaching games.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
If Ben Johnson thinks he is the QB whisperer, which he may vary well be, then our loaded offensive skill position team may be too good to pass up. Let him develop a rookie QB and maybe work with a bridge QB not named Geno.
I like all of what you just said until the last 3 words. We do need a bridge veteran at QB like you said. Why not Geno? He's not elite but he's not average either. If BJ is a QB whisperer then have him work his magic on a rookie as our future AND on Geno as our bridge.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
True. They also did interviews with Evero and Raheem Morris per reports so they were compliant from the get go.

James in PA

Reaction score
Let’s hope. He’s my #1. Macdonald #2
To me, these guys are like 1 and 1a. While I still lean offense, there is something very enticing about a guy who has shown he can shut down these high-flying modern NFL offenses. Plus this copycat league is starting to get flooded with the same type of head coach. Maybe the pendulum is about to swing the other way as some have suggested. Can you imagine having a truly dominant defense again in our stadium? It would be such a huge advantage.