[My Take] Macdonald is their guy.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
My reasoning is below.

Quinn is our fallback. The rest of the interviews were informational and to build future connections, similar to some of the combine interviews done with players we have no shot at. Lot of potential coordinator interviews, for instance.

In 2011, we hired OL coach Tom Cable. The year prior, Cable had led the Raiders to what'd be their only decent season in a long time and had dismantled our 2010 squad, destroying them by 30 points. He didn't just beat us - his squad beat us in the style we wanted to beat others in (and WOULD beat others in years later). They ground us into dust.

In 2023, the Baltimore Ravens (to borrow a line from The Breakfast Club) knocked our dicks in the dirt. The pressure came from everywhere. Everything we did was 2 steps behind. We couldn't compete with their speed, their furor, their intensity.

From that moment forward, that was John's guy if the Pete firing came to pass. It did. John knew from that moment forward that he wanted the architect of that absolute tornado of a defense. He saw first hand what they did to us, and proceeded to do to the rest of the NFL.

There is no earthly reason that'd have us waiting this long if Quinn was a foregone conclusion. Quinn would be hired, and we'd have him and John getting a staff together.

Johnson is going to WAS, per reports. Foregone conclusion according to reports. Where does that leave us, unless we secretly covet Aaron Glenn?

It leaves us waiting on Macdonald.

We backchanneled some communications with him through his agent, we came to an agreement that we had deep interest in one another, and we're going to take a long, hard look at each other when we can do it out in the open.

If the vibes sour, we roll with Quinn and Macdonald waits for next year.

That's my take on it. It's Macdonald. Each passing day makes me feel that they're going for Macdonald a bit more strongly.

Ozzy

Reaction score
It’s completely reasonable they want Macdonald and will settle on someone else. It does seem like they’re waiting for someone and probably already know if they can get Johnson or not.

I have my doubts it’s Quinn as the fallback but that could be my bias kicking in

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I pray you're right. I'd take him over Quinn any day. Was still hoping for an offensive guy personally though
I'm assuming people will think I'm coping, but I'm definitely more of a fan of Quinn than others I think. Not my preferred hire but I wouldnt hate Quinn, especially if he brings one of the Cowboys secondary dudes over as DC.

Spoon and Riq under guys who coach random breakout ballhawks all year? That alone would be enough to excite me.

CactusJack

Reaction score
My reasoning is below.

Quinn is our fallback. The rest of the interviews were informational and to build future connections, similar to some of the combine interviews done with players we have no shot at. Lot of potential coordinator interviews, for instance.

In 2011, we hired OL coach Tom Cable. The year prior, Cable had led the Raiders to what'd be their only decent season in a long time and had dismantled our 2010 squad, destroying them by 30 points. He didn't just beat us - his squad beat us in the style we wanted to beat others in (and WOULD beat others in years later). They ground us into dust.

In 2023, the Baltimore Ravens (to borrow a line from The Breakfast Club) knocked our dicks in the dirt. The pressure came from everywhere. Everything we did was 2 steps behind. We couldn't compete with their speed, their furor, their intensity.

From that moment forward, that was John's guy if the Pete firing came to pass. It did. John knew from that moment forward that he wanted the architect of that absolute tornado of a defense. He saw first hand what they did to us, and proceeded to do to the rest of the NFL.

There is no earthly reason that'd have us waiting this long if Quinn was a foregone conclusion. Quinn would be hired, and we'd have him and John getting a staff together.

Johnson is going to WAS, per reports. Foregone conclusion according to reports. Where does that leave us, unless we secretly covet Aaron Glenn?

We backchanneled some communications with him through his agent, we came to an agreement that we had deep interest in one another, and we're going to take a long, hard look at each other when we can do it out in the open.

That's my take on it. It's Macdonald. Each passing day makes me feel that they're going for Macdonald a bit more strongly.
That's my take as well.

MacDonald, Quinn & possibly Evero (interview today). I think those three are at the top of the list.

They must know that Johnson is taking the Commanders job. They haven't (yet) requested a 2nd interview with Slowik. The only OC that got a 2nd is Kafka. Which makes me buy into the idea that they want to hire a DC.

No news on Vrabel. Which also would suggest that he's not a candidate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
It’s completely reasonable they want Macdonald and will settle on someone else. It does seem like they’re waiting for someone and probably already know if they can get Johnson or not.

I have my doubts it’s Quinn as the fallback but that could be my bias kicking in
I had my doubts, but every day they wait makes it feel more clear that they're very deliberately waiting. Could just be that they just want to do due diligence on the dudes still playing and have Quinn as the probable hire, sure, but... it feels like more to me, considering Macdonald dismantling us up close. I kind of feel like that *was* his first interview.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I had my doubts, but every day they wait makes it feel more clear that they're very deliberately waiting. Could just be that they just want to do due diligence on the dudes still playing and have Quinn as the probable hire, sure, but... it feels like more to me, considering Macdonald dismantling us up close. I kind of feel like that *was* his first interview.
[/QUOTE

Even though I want an offensive guy I’d be excited about Macdonald. I hope it plays out this way. Then bring my guy Kafka as the OC 😁

sutz

Reaction score
They do appear to be waiting to interview someone from the playoff teams, of which there are 4 left. We may or may not know more next week if he is their guy. I forget, is there a brief window to zoom someone on a SB team next week?

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
I'm not sure Quinn will even be the fallback guy. I think Evero has as good a chance to be the fallback guy. I've read somewhere that every team he interviewed for likes how he presents himself.

hawks85

Reaction score

This is just my opinion. I think it's already a done deal with Macdonald. I think Seattle is just waiting for the Ravens season to end. I think they talked privately already despite the Rooney Rule. I think they've talked several times. Just my 2 cents

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Looks like they are waiting for the Ravens to lose so they can speak to one of their coaches.. forget who though... it's why the holdup. oh.. he's the guy? LOL.. sorry.

Last edited:

Wsumatt1982

Reaction score
I’m in 100% agreement. Macdonald is the guy. Would prefer him or Johnson but Johnson has long been speculated to go to Washington. I would love it if we got Macdonald

Sonichound16

Reaction score
I gotta think that if they wanted any of the available options they would have hired them by now which makes me think that Macdonald is their #1 target. That leaves a big hole at OC. Maybe using this time to interview possible options. With Macdonald being such a young coach he prob doesn't have a host of OC guys to pull from and may not be opposed to the team doing some heavy lifting on the OC hire. Slowick isn't going to take a lateral move with Stroud at QB. Are we excited about Kafka.

flv2

Reaction score
The Seahawks have interviewed everyone with 1 obvious exception. The implication is their preferred choice is the 1 person who hasn't yet interviewed. It would be a real letdown if the preferred candidate interviewed really badly. I hope that doesn't happen.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
It's be hard NOT to get excited about this hire, if OP is correct.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I pray you're right. I'd take him over Quinn any day. Was still hoping for an offensive guy personally though
If Quinn was the guy, don’t we think he would already have been named HC?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I had Quinn but that was before they hadn’t pulled the trigger with Mac still on the table. Now I agree. I think it’s Macdonald.

Reaction score
My reasoning is below.

Great post Sir!

Welshers2

Reaction score
If Quinn was the guy, don’t we think he would already have been named HC?
Maybe. Hopefully. I'm afraid they're going to interview a couple other guys but still take him so they can deny saying he was their guy all along