[My Take] Macdonald is their guy.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Maybe. Hopefully. I'm afraid they're going to interview a couple other guys but still take him so they can deny saying he was their guy all along
If they were going to do this, then why would they wait? They could just interview anybody to make it look good. There would be no need to wait.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Maybe. Hopefully. I'm afraid they're going to interview a couple other guys but still take him so they can deny saying he was their guy all along
Deny? If they want him, then they would hire him & not risk the chance they lose out. He's set to have another interview with Washington early in the week. Which means he could still get the Commanders job. So, why take the chance, if he's your guy???

Logic says Quinn will likely remain an option for them if the MacDonald interview doesn't go as planned. Same deal with Ben Johnson.

Last edited:

bigcc

Reaction score
I gotta think that if they wanted any of the available options they would have hired them by now which makes me think that Macdonald is their #1 target. That leaves a big hole at OC. Maybe using this time to interview possible options. With Macdonald being such a young coach he prob doesn't have a host of OC guys to pull from and may not be opposed to the team doing some heavy lifting on the OC hire. Slowick isn't going to take a lateral move with Stroud at QB. Are we excited about Kafka.
Slowik couldn't make a lateral move even if he wanted to without the Texans blessing, and of course they'd say no

Welshers2

Reaction score
If they were going to do this, then why would they wait? They could just interview anybody to make it look good. There would be no need to wait.
I'm sure they are not "100% decided" on Quinn. They will do their due diligence and interview Macdonald and hopefully Johnson if he doesn't go to Washington. But my worry is (like I said this is just my worry I could easily be wrong) that Quinn is still the leading man. JS could easily be very confident about Quinn but will still do his job. I don't know. I said what I'm worried about. I hope I'm wrong.

Deny? If they want him, then they would hire him & not risk the chance they lose out. He's set to have another interview with Washington early in the week. Which means he could still get the Commanders job. So, why take the chance, if he's your guy???

Logic says Quinn will likely remain an option for them if the MacDonald interview doesn't go as planned. Same deal with Ben Johnson.
I don't think anyone is seriously worried about Quinn getting the Commanders job. I hope I'm wrong and I very well may be

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
My reasoning is below.

Quinn is our fallback. The rest of the interviews were informational and to build future connections, similar to some of the combine interviews done with players we have no shot at. Lot of potential coordinator interviews, for instance.

In 2011, we hired OL coach Tom Cable. The year prior, Cable had led the Raiders to what'd be their only decent season in a long time and had dismantled our 2010 squad, destroying them by 30 points. He didn't just beat us - his squad beat us in the style we wanted to beat others in (and WOULD beat others in years later). They ground us into dust.

In 2023, the Baltimore Ravens (to borrow a line from The Breakfast Club) knocked our dicks in the dirt. The pressure came from everywhere. Everything we did was 2 steps behind. We couldn't compete with their speed, their furor, their intensity.

From that moment forward, that was John's guy if the Pete firing came to pass. It did. John knew from that moment forward that he wanted the architect of that absolute tornado of a defense. He saw first hand what they did to us, and proceeded to do to the rest of the NFL.

There is no earthly reason that'd have us waiting this long if Quinn was a foregone conclusion. Quinn would be hired, and we'd have him and John getting a staff together.

Johnson is going to WAS, per reports. Foregone conclusion according to reports. Where does that leave us, unless we secretly covet Aaron Glenn?

It leaves us waiting on Macdonald.

We backchanneled some communications with him through his agent, we came to an agreement that we had deep interest in one another, and we're going to take a long, hard look at each other when we can do it out in the open.

If the vibes sour, we roll with Quinn and Macdonald waits for next year.

That's my take on it. It's Macdonald. Each passing day makes me feel that they're going for Macdonald a bit more strongly.
You make a **** ton of sense. 100% agree. Nice post.

I'd put 5 bucks on Johnson to Commanders and Macdonald to us.

And that won't hurt my feelings one teensie weensie little tiny bit.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I hope they're hoping to be able to make a push for Johnson. I know people are acting Johnson going to Washington is a foregone conclusion, but the Seattle job has a lot of advantages.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I hope they're hoping to be able to make a push for Johnson. I know people are acting Johnson going to Washington is a foregone conclusion, but the Seattle job has a lot of advantages.
Might not be if Rapoport is willing to say it "isn't true at all" that it's pretty much foregone in his most recent report. Who knows, I guess.

If it were me, I'd take Washington's job in a heartbeat over ours as Johnson. Their suffering has set them up well. They feel like likely Super Bowl contenders 3 years out if their coach isn't a bust and their new quarterback is a hit.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Might not be if Rapoport is willing to say it "isn't true at all" that it's pretty much foregone in his most recent report. Who knows, I guess.

If it were me, I'd take Washington's job in a heartbeat over ours as Johnson. Their suffering has set them up well. They feel like likely Super Bowl contenders 3 years out if their coach isn't a bust and their new quarterback is a hit.
Washington also has one of the worst fields and some of the crappiest facillities in the league.

Seattle's offense has weapons that are comparable to what he was working with in Detroit. Washington has Terry McLaurin and a short yardage back.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Washington also has one of the worst fields and some of the crappiest facillities in the league.

Seattle's offense has weapons that are comparable to what he was working with in Detroit. Washington has Terry McLaurin and a short yardage back.
True, but their new ownership team is renowned as fantastic and they've got 2 overall, 2 high seconds, and the best cap situation in the league.

All depends on whether the incoming coach wants to build his own monster or have a head start, I suppose.

Ozzy

Reaction score
True, but their new ownership team is renowned as fantastic and they've got 2 overall, 2 high seconds, and the best cap situation in the league.

All depends on whether the incoming coach wants to build his own monster or have a head start, I suppose.

If I’m a coach it would be tough not to pick Washington if given a choice. A chance for that team to skyrocket soon

Hawknight

Reaction score
My reasoning is below.

Quinn is our fallback. The rest of the interviews were informational and to build future connections, similar to some of the combine interviews done with players we have no shot at. Lot of potential coordinator interviews, for instance.

In 2011, we hired OL coach Tom Cable. The year prior, Cable had led the Raiders to what'd be their only decent season in a long time and had dismantled our 2010 squad, destroying them by 30 points. He didn't just beat us - his squad beat us in the style we wanted to beat others in (and WOULD beat others in years later). They ground us into dust.

In 2023, the Baltimore Ravens (to borrow a line from The Breakfast Club) knocked our dicks in the dirt. The pressure came from everywhere. Everything we did was 2 steps behind. We couldn't compete with their speed, their furor, their intensity.

From that moment forward, that was John's guy if the Pete firing came to pass. It did. John knew from that moment forward that he wanted the architect of that absolute tornado of a defense. He saw first hand what they did to us, and proceeded to do to the rest of the NFL.

There is no earthly reason that'd have us waiting this long if Quinn was a foregone conclusion. Quinn would be hired, and we'd have him and John getting a staff together.

Johnson is going to WAS, per reports. Foregone conclusion according to reports. Where does that leave us, unless we secretly covet Aaron Glenn?

It leaves us waiting on Macdonald.

We backchanneled some communications with him through his agent, we came to an agreement that we had deep interest in one another, and we're going to take a long, hard look at each other when we can do it out in the open.

If the vibes sour, we roll with Quinn and Macdonald waits for next year.

That's my take on it. It's Macdonald. Each passing day makes me feel that they're going for Macdonald a bit more strongly.
Man I hope this comes true

cymatica

Reaction score
Best scenario:
HC: McDonald(also calls plays on defense)
OC: Kafka
Assistant HC/DC: Quinn