Three Biggest Issues Right Now?

RiverDog

Reaction score
I typically look for combined wins of opponents played or average rank because it's easiest to project forward with. There is no standard as long as you aren't looking at preseason ranking or remaining SoS. For example, RiverDog posted one based on a power rating and Seattle's 8th. That's a fair ranking to cite, IMO. This is the website I usually use for these sorts of things. This is the one I used to project forward because it uses averages.
I'm not sure how the SOS that @knownone posted is calculated, but there is a very simple formula for strength of schedule that the league uses for playoff and draft slotting tiebreakers. All it does is add the total games played by all opponents then divides that number by the total wins of said opponents to arrive at an opponent winning percentage.

A similar formula is used to calculate another tiebreaker, strength of victory. All it does is exclude the opponents a team lost to and calculates the total winning percentage of teams they beat.

LTH

Reaction score
I don't accept your premise. I don't think that teams are necessarily healthier than the Seahawks. Injuries litter the league. I just got through watching the Vikings play with their 4th starting quarterback. Injuries are undoubtedly a factor. Some teams are good enough and deep enough to overcome them. Some arenaren't.
It's not about my premise... I'm asking you what you think. And obviously you think that injuries should not effect the out come of a game. That is what your opinion is. I'm not trying to change your opinion I've read your posts for years and I know for a fact that nobody is going to change your mind. I'm not even going to try... I just wanted to clarify.

LTH

RiverDog

Reaction score
It's not about my premise... I'm asking you what you think. And obviously you think that injuries should not effect the out come of a game. That is what your opinion is. I'm not trying to change your opinion I've read your posts for years and I know for a fact that nobody is going to change your mind. I'm not even going to try... I just wanted to clarify.

LTH
That is NOT what I said and is NOT my opinion! Of course, injuries can and do effect the outcome of games. I never said that they don't. Here's what you said that I was objecting to:

Do you think that key injuries to Key players on the Seahawks are a factor going up against against teams that are healthier than the Seahawk?

Neither you nor I know that any team we went up against was healthier than us or not. There's no way to quantify team health. You can't just count the number of players on the injury report and say one team is healthier than the other. That's why I refused to answer the question, because it was poorly formatted.

I would appreciate it if in the future you not put words in my mouth. If you want to engage me in a conversation, please quote what it was that I said and quit making your own summations of what you think my opinion is.

CactusJack

Reaction score
The defensive is broken but I’m not sure it’s fixable as I think it’s a scheme issue and they aren’t going to leave the Fangio system which is bad almost league wide unless he’s a part of it. Seattle got duped into using it and they need to jump ship
This is the biggest problem. The scheme is garbage. Brandon Staley failed badly & is unemployed now. Desai & the Eagles are a below average defense. The scheme is likely a big reason for it.

LTH

Reaction score
That is NOT what I said and is NOT my opinion! Of course, injuries can and do effect the outcome of games. I never said that they don't. Here's what you said that I was objecting to:

Do you think that key injuries to Key players on the Seahawks are a factor going up against against teams that are healthier than the Seahawk?

Neither you nor I know that any team we went up against was healthier than us or not. There's no way to quantify team health. You can't just count the number of players on the injury report and say one team is healthier than the other. That's why I refused to answer the question, because it was poorly formatted.

I would appreciate it if in the future you not put words in my mouth. If you want to engage me in a conversation, please quote what it was that I said and quit making your own summations of what you think my opinion is.
Dude this isn't some kind of competition... I was just trying to understand your point. Geeze...

knownone

Reaction score
I'm not sure how the SOS that @knownone posted is calculated, but there is a very simple formula for strength of schedule that the league uses for playoff and draft slotting tiebreakers. All it does is add the total games played by all opponents then divides that number by the total wins of said opponents to arrive at an opponent winning percentage.

A similar formula is used to calculate another tiebreaker, strength of victory. All it does is exclude the opponents a team lost to and calculates the total winning percentage of teams they beat.
That's how almost every website previously represented SoS, and it's easily the best/most straightforward method. I don't know why finding an updated list using that formula is so hard now.

One of the rankings I posted uses implied strength and traditional SoS, which is beneficial because it shows the expected point differential against an average team. It's an excellent way to visualize how a schedule can impact a team's chances. For example, the Seahawks and Rams are easily the 5th and 6th best teams in the NFC, but they've played brutal schedules relative to the teams they are competing against for a WC spot.

Fade

Reaction score
1) Accountability (Lack there of.)

From ownership on down. They are allowed to screw up continuously, and carry on like nothing happened. Problems never get fixed for years.

2) Dated coaching/schemes.

Defensively, they never confuse the QB, he always knows where to go with the football.

With the softening of the rules, defenses had to evolve. Because being more physical will just lead to a penalty.

Compared to 10 years ago, defenses are now incredibly exotic. With stacked fronts, and masking coverage being top of the list. The Seahawks hardly do any of this. And look incredibly dated, if you watch other teams in the league.

Offensively. Metcalf and Lockett have called it a 1980s offense before Waldron showed up. Waldron has sprinkled in some new. But they mostly stick to their 1980s plan.

3) The fans

Who cheered on and celebrated mediocrity all of these years. Fan pressure does have an impact. Corporations will get away with as much as you will allow as a fanbase. They have no problem taking your money. See the Mariners.

CactusJack

Reaction score
1) Accountability (Lack there of.)

From ownership on down. They are allowed to screw up continuously, and carry on like nothing happened. Problems never get fixed for years.

2) Dated coaching/schemes.

Defensively, they never confuse the QB, he always knows where to go with the football.

With the softening of the rules, defenses had to evolve. Because being more physical will just lead to a penalty.

Compared to 10 years ago, defenses are now incredibly exotic. With stacked fronts, and masking coverage being top of the list. The Seahawks hardly do any of this. And look incredibly dated, if you watch other teams in the league.

Offensively. Metcalf and Lockett have called it a 1980s offense before Waldron showed up. Waldron has sprinkled in some new. But they mostly stick to their 1980s plan.

3) The fans

Who cheered on and celebrated mediocrity all of these years. Fan pressure does have an impact. Corporations will get away with as much as you will allow as a fanbase. They have no problem taking your money. See the Mariners.
Great post. On the money. 1 & 2 continue to be a major roadblock.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Dude this isn't some kind of competition... I was just trying to understand your point. Geeze...
I know it's not a competition. You were misrepresenting my POV, apparently not reading my comments in their entirety and rather reading into them where you thought it was that I was going. And it wasn't the first time you've done it. I called you out on it before and you gave me the excuse that you were trying to multitask, got distracted.

All I'm asking you to do is to use actual quotes of mine instead of your own personal summation of what you think my opinion is. I don't think that's asking too much.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
That's how almost every website previously represented SoS, and it's easily the best/most straightforward method. I don't know why finding an updated list using that formula is so hard now.

One of the rankings I posted uses implied strength and traditional SoS, which is beneficial because it shows the expected point differential against an average team. It's an excellent way to visualize how a schedule can impact a team's chances. For example, the Seahawks and Rams are easily the 5th and 6th best teams in the NFC, but they've played brutal schedules relative to the teams they are competing against for a WC spot.
One of the things that influences strength of schedule but that is nearly impossible to quantify is the timing of the schedule. Does playing the Eagles after we've had a mini bye give us an advantage? Would have playing the Niners during the period of time when they lost 3 in a row instead of when we did helped our cause? Does the fact that we haven't had to play any international games benefited us?

It's very similar to injuries in that regard.

LTH

Reaction score

Then what is the sense of putting out an injury report? I do not understand your logic.

The Hawks through to the 1st 49er game game, they had 9 or 10 different combinations of offensive linemen. That IMO definitely affects how good the Hawks are going to be. Thats 9 games that O line has to compete at less than full strength and with out the ability to build crucial continuity. That definitely affects the effectiveness of Geno Smith and Ken walker/Charbonnet. Basically the whole offense.

Now what does that mean? Are there other reasons why the Hawks lost the games they lost? Yes there are other reasons. But it was the main reason the Hawks O was not as effective as they would have been if they were able to build that continuity on that O line in my opinion.

Edit: if the Seahawks have 6 players out, 3 being key starting players and 4 being average player out vs say the niners who have 1 key starting player and 1 average player out then it's not much of an assumption that the niners go into the game healthier and with an advantage.

LTH

Last edited:

warden

Reaction score
Three biggest problems

Offensive coordinator
Defensive coordinator
Center of the offensive line

LTH

Reaction score
Three biggest problems

Offensive coordinator
Defensive coordinator
Center of the offensive line
The problem is Seahawk fans can not stand for any type of losing for any reason. They have to have somebody to blame. This is the most spoiled fan base in NFL history along with patriot fans. That's just a fact.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Then what is the sense of putting out an injury report? I do not understand your logic.

The Hawks through to the 1st 49er game game, they had 9 or 10 different combinations of offensive linemen. That IMO definitely affects how good the Hawks are going to be. Thats 9 games that O line has to compete at less than full strength and with out the ability to build crucial continuity. That definitely affects the effectiveness of Geno Smith and Ken walker/Charbonnet. Basically the whole offense.

Now what does that mean? Are there other reasons why the Hawks lost the games they lost? Yes there are other reasons. But it was the main reason the Hawks O was not as effective as they would have been if they were able to build that continuity on that O line in my opinion.

Edit: if the Seahawks have 6 players out, 3 being key starting players and 4 being average player out vs say the niners who have 1 key starting player and 1 average player out then it's not much of an assumption that the niners go into the game healthier and with an advantage.

LTH
There isn't a lot of practical sense in putting out an injury report. If teams had their druthers, they wouldn't issue them as they wouldn't want to show their hand. They do it for fan interest and anymore, for the gaming industry.

How much an injury affects a game depends on a number of things, such as who it is that's going to replace them. Which team is going to suffer the most, the Seahawks who lose Geno Smith with Drew Lock as his replacement or the Jets when they lose Aaron Rodgers with Marc Wilson as his replacement? IMO there's a lot bigger talent gap between Rodgers and Wilson than there is between Smith and Lock.

I actually agree with you with regards to the Hawks' OL. It has been a huge factor, especially not having our two starting tackles. So is it for the Vikings who have had to play with 4 different starting quarterbacks. Injuries are part of the game. My point is that you can't put any kind of weight on them as far as how much they influence the game and in who's favor. They are what they are.

IMO as far as the Niners having an advantage health wise, yes, I agree. But it wasn't the main reason we lost. We've lost 5 straight games in two seasons by an average score of 30-14 to that team. IMO it wouldn't have made much of a difference had we been completely healthy. We lost because from top to bottom, they are a better team, with better coaching and more talent. A lot more.

Plus, you're only looking at one side of the injury equation. The Niners were without Arik Armstead in our past two games. At one point last Sunday, the Niners were without 5 starting defensive players. I never hear you talking about how unhealthy our opponents are.

Last edited:

hugecanoli

Reaction score
The problem is Seahawk fans can not stand for any type of losing for any reason. They have to have somebody to blame. This is the most spoiled fan base in NFL history along with patriot fans. That's just a fact.
We’re the problem? Have to have someone to blame? Bro this is a football forum, we talk about the good and the bad. It’s why these things exist.

Who are you to call me and millions of other fans spoiled?

You’re the dude who orders a steak medium rare and still eats it when it comes out well done instead of sending that shit back. Simply because you don’t want to upset the waitress and you’re really happy to be out celebrating your promotion at Burger King.

It’s ok to want more. It’s ok to hope for greatness. It’s even ok to be allergic to mediocrity.

You’re so positive 24/7, it’s borderline delusional.

My 3 biggest issues:

Head Coach
Getting outcoached.
Antiquated system (Head Coach)

LTH

Reaction score
IMO there's a lot bigger talent gap between Rodgers and Wilson than there is between Smith and Lock.
I personally think Geno is a better QB than Lock because of his decision making. As far as talent I think that has yet to be determined because Lock hasn't played as much. I think the determing factor is that Lock isn't getting the reps, there for his development is hindered. It took Geno 3 games to get into rhythm when he took over for Wilson.

So to ask Lock to come in cold off the bench in the second half of an extremely emotional game vs the Rams, completely set back the Hawks O as he was NOT part of that game plan. The three and outs gave LA the chances to come back in that game. If Geno had not gotten hurt they probably would have won that game just because of time of possession alone as I remember It.

People like to blame that loss on Shane but the plays were designed with intermediate and short routes Lock could have made other choices but he was trying to make a play.

We lost because from top to bottom, they are a better team, with better coaching and more talent.

I do think injuries this year was a factor. But the point you just made was my point on the thread I made, why the Hawks lost 4 in a row. But I do think the Hawks can compete with the Niners. I just think the Hawks talent is inconsistant which is a reason why the Niners talent is better. I also think some of the Hawks vets are not playing to expectation. I'm not sure where that lands... not sure that's on coaching players like Diggs and adams. I wonder how much Diggs is his knee. I know that the fact Adams is coming off injury is affecting his play... he has lost speed and is not as effective there could be other issues as far as recocnition of plays as well I don't know exactly.

Coaching wise I think the Hawks have young developing coaches and I think at times there is some inconsistencies...but it's really hard to see exactly what's happening on that front

I also think the loss of Uchenna Nwosu was absolutely HUGE And that loss definitely affects the games played the Niners and everybody else for that matter.

Just my take

LTH

LTH

Reaction score
We’re the problem? Have to have someone to blame? Bro this is a football forum, we talk about the good and the bad. It’s why these things exist.

You’re the dude who orders a steak medium rare and still eats it when it comes out well done instead of sending that shit back. Simply because you don’t want to upset the waitress and you’re really happy to be out celebrating your promotion at Burger King.

It’s ok to want more. It’s ok to hope for greatness. It’s even ok to be allergic to mediocrity.

My 3 biggest issues:

Head Coach
Getting outcoached.
LMAO! HEY!!!! my job at burger King has nothing to do with it LMFAO!!!!

LTH

Last edited:

hinton

Reaction score
There seems to be more emotion than logic overall in this thread. I'll try and ignore the frustrations of the last few weeks, from what I see:

1 LB
It looks to me like LB play is absolutely killing our D. Awful against the pass and poor against the run.
While our S play has been poor I think they're caught between being 'deeper than the deepest' and having to come up and cover the short/intermediate routes because our LBs can't cover.

Especially with Shanny and McVay in our div who want to attack the middle of the field this is a brutal weakness.

I still think Jamal was brought in to be a tbis LB/S specifically to own that area, but he's too banged up to play closer to the line an too poor in coverage to be a pure S.

2. Scheme/Approach
Other coaches seem to come up with game plans to exploit our weaknesses, wheras we seem to keep lining up with a "they have to deal with us" approach.

We also don't seem to be utilising our roster well at all. If LBs are killing us but we have a bevvy of DBs who like to play fast and aggressive (Spoon, Brown, Bryant, etc) we should change our scheme to get thm on the field more. Same on O, we have a lot of talent at TE what we're just wasting trying to force the ball to DK and JSN.

I can't really call out the DC/OC. Our LB/S limitations make it difficult for me to really judge Hurtt. Waldron seems to come up with some great drives, and then reverts to predictable/vanilla drives for long periods and I have no idea why.

3. Interior OL
We can't control the inner LOS which forces us into passing plays way to often. Not sure what happened to Lewis, he looked great of a rookie. Our C seemed to start the season strong but is fading fast.

Last edited:

LTH

Reaction score

My 3 biggest issues:

Head Coach
Getting outcoached.
3 of the last 4 losses were against teams that have better talent than the Seahawks. The Seahawks have been completely decimated by injury, there has been 10 different O line combinations up to now ... no offensive line continuity. but yet your going to say oh it's Carroll, its coaching , it's scheme .... no that's not the case some times an apple is just an apple...but if you want to make it into something bigger because your not smart enough to see what's happening by all means do it ... yeah your spoiled... you can't see that sometimes teams have so much adversity that they can't over come it...

RiverDog

Reaction score
I personally think Geno is a better QB than Lock because of his decision making. As far as talent I think that has yet to be determined because Lock hasn't played as much. I think the determing factor is that Lock isn't getting the reps, there for his development is hindered. It took Geno 3 games to get into rhythm when he took over for Wilson.
Agreed with what you said about Geno. He is better than Lock, but not by the same margin as Rodgers is over his backup. That was my point, that it's not so much the quality of player you lose so much as it is the difference between him and his replacement.
I do think injuries this year was a factor. But the point you just made was my point on the thread I made, why the Hawks lost 4 in a row. But I do think the Hawks can compete with the Niners. I just think the Hawks talent is inconsistant which is a reason why the Niners talent is better. I also think some of the Hawks vets are not playing to expectation. I'm not sure where that lands... not sure that's on coaching players like Diggs and adams. I wonder how much Diggs is his knee. I know that the fact Adams is coming off injury is affecting his play... he has lost speed and is not as effective there could be other issues as far as recocnition of plays as well I don't know exactly.
What I am objecting to is the way you are putting the part I highlighted in bold. It makes it sound as if injuries are the only reason why we lost 4 in a row.

I also feel that the talent gap between us and the Niners is much wider than you're willing to admit. The results of the games over the past two years speaks for itself.

I addressed the injury situation with Adams in a couple other threads. If he's injured, he sure is getting one helluva lot of snaps. In the past 4 games, he's missed just one defensive snap. And even prior to his spat of injuries, he never was very fast and was a liability in coverage as we debated it in 2021. Now, all of a sudden, it's his injuries that are keeping him from being even an average safety in coverage? Sorry, not buying it.
Coaching wise I think the Hawks have young developing coaches and I think at times there is some inconsistencies...but it's really hard to see exactly what's happening on that front

I also think the loss of Uchenna Nwosu was absolutely HUGE And that loss definitely affects the games played the Niners and everybody else for that matter.

Just my take

LTH
Yes, our losing Nwosu was huge. So was the Niners losing Arik Armstead. But it didn't seem to hurt them much. They still jerked us around like a rag doll.

Last edited: