Is Tom Cable the right guy for the Job?

bellingerga

Reaction score
Tom Cable took a team that sucked ass at running and made them into the NFL's premier power run team. He can't control injuries, and Bevell's random boneheaded lapses though. He's done a great job but right now he's being asked to shine some turds into a nice shiny polish.

The blame lies elsewhere. I'm looking at Bevell not scheming for lack of protection and Carroll/Schneiders non chalant attitude toward Oline depth. They will get it fixed, I have no doubt, just wish it wasn't a problem now.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
Shock2k":uniiz092 said:
hIt feels like it's been since around 2005 since we've had a decent offensive line. This o-line story is so tired I think it's bringing about my next statement. Which would be Tom Cable? Is he the right guy for the job? Now to be fair he "coached" the 5th best rushing team last year.

But seriously, at the end of the day he's in charge of protection and there were NO adjustments last night for the Rams game.

Luck (Rams, Panthers, Texans) runs out eventually and the ball starts going the other way.

I get it, we are 7 and 1, including 4 of 5 on the road, which is exceptional... I just don't see us making a long playoff run, especially against the saints on the road right now (if we met them in the Playoffs and don't end up with home filed advantage through the playoffs) without a decent offensive line.

Too late in the Season to drop and grab another O-line coach, and honestly I don't think it's fair to judge him, I'm curious though to what other folks are thinking.

thats stupid Tom Cable is the man he's just as important to the run game as anybody. he's working with a Crappy Guard playing LT and a 7th round rookie at RT there's gonna be growing pains especially against 2 of the top speed DE rushers in the game and a very capable DT to rush the QB. If anything I think Seattle is paying for not addressing the O-line earlier in the draft they only gave Cable the 7th round picks to address the O-line and they are paying for it now.

daveman918

Reaction score
slargent4ever":315hkjkn said:
What I keep getting tired of hearing is how Cable can coach up these late round guys into his type of linemen and that we don't need the big picks. I'm not really buying into that. If that is the case, shouldn't he be able to make every first and second round pick into a HOFer? But, I hold Bev responsible for this debacle just as much if not more. You can work some plays to help out that crappy oline, or you can just do the same thing over and over and wonder why it doesn't work. I wish RW would just pull everyone into a "players only film meeting", and set up some audibles. What's is Bev going to do when RW just changes the plays on his own?

THIS

brimsalabim

Reaction score
quote="ExperienceJones"]One tough game and you need to fire everyone? Come on guys, relax.[/quote]

I don't understand how Miller and/or Lynch/Mike Rob/Turbin weren't helping out more in the blocking game. It never seemed like anyone was even attempting to block other than the 5 O-Linemen. They obviously needed two guys to cover both Long and Quinn, but never seemed to even try that.

Frustrating night for sure.[/quote]

Gruden kept screaming it durring the game and so did Matt & Steve Young durring the post game. Miller in particular looked to be specifically avoiding the "chip" on his way out. I don't know if that was by design or becasue Miller's hammy was sore again.

ceej22

Reaction score
Seeker":11ysy5h5 said:
smh you guys.....
next you'll be wanting to fire Schneider.

This.

You guys are ridiculous. Cable has done an outstanding job.

Jville

Reaction score
My preference was for offensive line coach Mike Solari who moved down the coast less than 10 days after the Cable hire. Solari has, by and large, delivered excellent results with the San Francisco 49ers offensive line.

What scares me about the near future under Tom Cable is the potential for a repeat of the 2011 draft with the first 2 picks in 2014 once again being offensive linemen of Cable's style and preference. I thought feet, lower body flexibility, and overall conditioning were disappointing issues with the first two selections of 2011.

I do not believe the passing coordinator and run coordinator and scouting departments are consistently on the same page. Offensive schemes and personel choices appear to me to be conflicted at times. In contrast, unity on the defensive side looks much more consistent and solid.

Jville

Reaction score
So it's the nights' fault that the birds quit singing?

Throwdown

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3uhruo0g said:
I don't blame Cable nearly as much as I blame Bevell. What is Cable supposed to do when Bevell is calling a freaking read option play on the 1 yard line by motioning Lynch back into the backfield? What is Cable supposed to do when Bevell dials up a play-action pass on his 6 yard line? And on and on and on.

80 of the 135 yards gained on offense last night came on an amazing play by Golden Tate. How is that NOT Bevell's fault?

Could just punch him in the throat, I know I wanted to.

justafan

Reaction score
There is plenty of blame to go around.Bevel deserves some crap but he isnt the only one putting this gameplan together.Cable has plenty of input.When the play gets called thats not the end of it.Wilson and Unger have a responsibility to make or change protection calls to make sure the D is picked up or at least players are accounted for.Wilson can always make audibles.
We see a shitty play but unless you are in the loop you dont always see exactly who is to blame.But its not all on 1 guy.
I am still trying to figure out how the Rams have a crappy record that front seven is loaded.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Lynch Mob":3ta52v98 said:
Shock2k":3ta52v98 said:
hIt feels like it's been since around 2005 since we've had a decent offensive line. This o-line story is so tired I think it's bringing about my next statement. Which would be Tom Cable? Is he the right guy for the job? Now to be fair he "coached" the 5th best rushing team last year.

But seriously, at the end of the day he's in charge of protection and there were NO adjustments last night for the Rams game.

Luck (Rams, Panthers, Texans) runs out eventually and the ball starts going the other way.

I get it, we are 7 and 1, including 4 of 5 on the road, which is exceptional... I just don't see us making a long playoff run, especially against the saints on the road right now (if we met them in the Playoffs and don't end up with home filed advantage through the playoffs) without a decent offensive line.

Too late in the Season to drop and grab another O-line coach, and honestly I don't think it's fair to judge him, I'm curious though to what other folks are thinking.

thats stupid Tom Cable is the man he's just as important to the run game as anybody. he's working with a Crappy Guard playing LT and a 7th round rookie at RT there's gonna be growing pains especially against 2 of the top speed DE rushers in the game and a very capable DT to rush the QB. If anything I think Seattle is paying for not addressing the O-line earlier in the draft they only gave Cable the 7th round picks to address the O-line and they are paying for it now.

Who do you think drafted Carpenter and Moffitt? Who was it that thought converting Sweezy was a good idea? Cable is getting too much credit for our run game. Lynch has been hit in the backfield, or at the LOS, more times than not, and that's with a healthy Okung and Breno. Credit for our running attack goes to Marshawn Lynch. Period.

hawk45

Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see what our run game is post-Lynch, that's for sure.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Cable is not a good judge of talent IMO, but a good coach. I suspect he was responsible for Carp, Turbin and Moffitt. Sweezy is one demensional and has not improved at pass protection this year

We kept McQ and Bruno I am sure based on his desire. They are both average on a good day and IMO still below average at the correct positions. Tyler P. seems to be doing ok with the redskins and we passed for these 2.

I think he needs to coach and kept out of the personal decisions.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Happypuppy":hui73bjx said:
Cable is not a good judge of talent IMO, but a good coach. I suspect he was responsible for Carp, Turbin and Moffitt. Sweezy is one demensional and has not improved at pass protection this year

We kept McQ and Bruno I am sure based on his desire. They are both average on a good day and IMO still below average at the correct positions. Tyler P. seems to be doing ok with the redskins and we passed for these 2.

I think he needs to coach and kept out of the personal decisions.

I like it. If he didn't have his coaching merits, PC wouldn't have brought him on board. Keep him out of the war room, give him solid players and demand he coaches them up...or exit. Excellent and fair observation.

drdiags

Reaction score
No opinion on Cable. Our O-Line blew chunks late in Holgrem's time here and during Mora's 1 yr. Gibbs bailed before the regular season, so Okung and company went a year with assistant OL guys trying to run a ZBS but missing the master. Cable helped stabilize the running portion of the OL and with the re-birth of Lynch here, helped identify this team as a smash-mouth, physical team.

This year, maybe picking up Harvin was the signal that the Team's offensive identity was going to change? They haven't been able to sustain what they had late last year and even with Okung and Breno have had issues protecting. Kind of interesting that some folks are dying to get Breno back. Hopefully the same type of remorse isn't shown down the road when the impact of Rice's injury hits the team's already shaky offensive production.

I remember a Raiders fan who voiced some of the concerns now being echoed in this thread. Goes to show that it wasn't just sour grapes. Wouldn't mind reading his posts again to see how much what he said happened in Oakland is now being voiced by some fans.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I don't see anyone blaming Russell for any of the sacks he is taking this year...yet, he's holding the ball longer than Tarvaris used to. The O-line is bad, but Russell didn't help them out at all last night.

sc85sis

Reaction score
slargent4ever":1zie8qsa said:
ExperienceJones":1zie8qsa said:
slargent4ever":1zie8qsa said:
ExperienceJones":1zie8qsa said:
One tough game and you need to fire everyone? Come on guys, relax.

Who says anything about firing anyone in any of the posts above yours? I see the OP asks if Cable is the right guy for the job, and that is about the closest I see. Other than that, some people calling it like they see it. So who isn't relaxed? Are you liking what you are seeing out there?

Anyone who thought the Rams game was going to be a cakewalk needs to check themselves.

If you think Cable isn't the right guy for the job why would you keep him in that position? You're going to debate that he's not the right guy for the job but want him to retain his job?

This board is full of start this guy, fire that guy, we're so bad. 7-1 guys. Relax and weather the storm. Its the NFL and everyone comes to play. Get this stuff corrected in practice and get our guys healthy and back out there and we'll be alright.

Broseph, all I said was that I'm tired of Cable getting the scraps of draft picks and then asked to work miracles with them. Then people wonder why the line isn't performing. I never mentioned firing anyone. But, I wouldn't be sad to see Bev on the hot seat.
Okung and Carpenter were first-round picks. Moffitt was a third-round pick. Unger was already here when this staff joined the team, but he was a second-round pick. McQuistan was originally a third-round pick.

Cable has had good talent to work with. Some of the guys haven't lived up to potential. Some are currently injured. Some aren't playing their natural position. Yes, two of our starters are late-round guys, but Cable wanted them. And Bowie is only playing because of Breno's injury.

This isn't college. Pete can't stack guys three deep at every position.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
ExperienceJones":3pduloe2 said:
One tough game and you need to fire everyone? Come on guys, relax.
One tough game?, take the blinders off. Russell Wilson is the MOST pressured Quarterback in the whole damned League.
I like Cable all to hell, but I like Russell Wilson a hell of a lot too, and we really need to start protecting our Quarterback a LOT more, and fast, or we're going to see RW hurt, and then some real shit is going to hit the fan, AND the fans in Seattle.
Cable should be told that protecting the signal caller is your FIRST priority ,not an afterthought, and all those pressures on RW (the MOST in the NFL) needs to be on Cables plate, it's his O-Line that's shitting to bed here.