Is this the new Pete Carroll?

warden

Reaction score
The zone blocking system we use takes an extraordinary amount of feel and timing between the offensive lineman. With no preseason games and two thirds of the starters being new to the line, there is limited chance we can be overly effective in the early parts of the season. It looks like they have come up with a plan that will work in developing the run blocking. Once that is done, we will be a pretty heavy run team.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
keasley45":p3xy4oj5 said:
I just wish there was a better aire on the defensive side of the ball. Seems we are assembling the pieces and the aggressiveness on D Was nice to see yesterday, but i just dont see norton being adept enough to take advantage of the tools he has beyond the occassional Blitz / freelance package featuring j adams.

If Dan Quinn gets the bullet at the Falcons this year, wonder if there is a chance he returns as DC, even short term.

OP
OP
T

TraderGary

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3d16x57z said:
Let's not forget this was also a complete rethinking of his defensive approach of the last couple of years too. A return to the early days, IMHO.

A dominant secondary as the foundation. The nebulous, shifting LEO bringing pressure from anywhere, leaving the offense calling "who's the LEO?" instead of "who's the Mike?"

Clowney/ Griffen would have been icing on the cake, but they don't really fit what Pete is doing this year, and they would not have been happy with their roles here. For whatever reason, Pete has chosen to devalue the trenches on both sides. With the exception of Brown, we really don't have any big stars in the trenches.

I love the experiment on both sides of the ball. It is the most Bellichick like move I've seen from Pete. It makes me excited that he has evolved, and we are going to be a real force for the first time in a long time.

We just have to figure out the Cards. They are going to be tough this year, and it's a two horse race for the NFCW.

Great points on the defensive approach and the evolving of PC. Disagree with Clowney not needed or not fitting in the new scheme. You can always find a way to maximize a talent like Clowney, particularly in an area where we are weakest and in need of an upgrade.

In my mind, not resigning Clowney was the Hawks biggest mistake this year. The money that was spent on Finney and Olsen I would have much rather seen go to a difference maker like Clowney in an area of need. I think he is potentially the missing link to a Super Bowl run, but hopefully someone else on the DL will step up and surprise us.

OP
OP
T

TraderGary

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3f530ivr said:
bigskydoc":3f530ivr said:
We just have to figure out the Cards. They are going to be tough this year, and it's a two horse race for the NFCW.

I would pump the brakes on that.. niners and rams are still more of a threat

Agreed. Thankfully the niners biggest weakness is at the most crucial position on the field, QB. If they had an elite QB like a Russell Wilson, they would be nearly unbeatable. And you could pretty much say the same thing about the Rams although Goff always seems to have his best games against us.

OP
OP
T

TraderGary

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2xmiideo said:
bigskydoc":2xmiideo said:

Whoa, clearly making too big an inference from week 1. Week 1 is always the atypical week where teams destined for the playoffs can look bad and teams destined for a high draft pick can look great. Only consistency is that the Browns will lose.

lol those poor Browns fans. I suppose the Browns and Mariners fans can sympathize with each other and throw a pity party together.

OP
OP
T

TraderGary

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3hcldy49 said:
kf3339":3hcldy49 said:
RolandDeschain":3hcldy49 said:
I don't dare hope that we will consistently play to our strengths regularly on offense just yet. If we do, however....and keep going for the throat for a full four quarters every game.....then we are playing in the Super Bowl this year.

That's my hope as well, but PC is a hard man to read. I think there is still plenty of the old PC lurking around to question a complete change in strategy.

Pete hasn't changed, other than giving Russell FAR more control...............at the line, schematically and in game.

The 4th and 5 at the Falcon's 38 was a perfect example. Old Pete would have punted that relying on his defense, new Pete allowed Russell to talk him into quickly going for it because Russell saw that the Falcon's D was celebrating the 3rd down stop thinking the same thing as us, that Pete would punt.

So new Pete? Probably not, other than giving Russell more decision making power.

Excellent points. But after I created this thread last night, I went to YouTube and watched the PC postgame press conference. The things I heard him say leads me to believe this was not just an aberration.

Pete praised Schott's play-calling and stated he thought he called a great game throughout, start to finish. He also had very high praise for the way RW was in complete control of the offense the entire game. Those statements and others lead me to believe the handcuffs are off and he's finally realizing our best chance for victory is putting the ball in the hands of his best player, Wilson.

Perhaps we're saying the same thing but in a different way. However I'm seeing a new and aggressive Pete that we have rarely if ever seen in the past.

keasley45

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":bgua7wz7 said:
keasley45":bgua7wz7 said:
I just wish there was a better aire on the defensive side of the ball. Seems we are assembling the pieces and the aggressiveness on D Was nice to see yesterday, but i just dont see norton being adept enough to take advantage of the tools he has beyond the occassional Blitz / freelance package featuring j adams.

Be patient with the defense, there's a lot of new pieces in the defensive backfield and D-line..............going to take time to clean up some of the sloppy gap and scheme issues we saw yesterday.

Especially with Adams giving as much free reign as he's apparently being given, and Dunbar being thrown into CB without hardly any camp reps, that creates communication issues that like I said, need time to be ironed out.

The good news is we haven't seen that much hitting and aggression out of the defense in what, four years? I betcha there were more big hits by the defense yesterday than the entire year last season.

Agreed. Cant remember a game in the last few years (other than Clowney's B slap of the Niners on Monday Night) where the ooohs and ohhhhhhhs, were being shouted at the TV at the outright savageness of some of the tackling on our D. Our guys were fired up. I appreciate the workman, 'peaceful warrior' image of guys like Bobby and KJ, but defense needs to be played with an edge. When we were great, we had Clemons, Bryant and Mebane keeping the guys up front hyped, while Cam, Earl and B Browner came in to destroy ball carriers. It was 60 minutes of 'oh my god, he has to be dead...' , and 'oooooooooo, thats gonna hurt'. You almost felt bad for the other guys when the realized they were literally outMANNED.- not really.

OP
OP
T

TraderGary

Reaction score
hawkfan68":25mv975a said:
The Falcons stifled the running game so he went with let’s beat them through the air. Having more quality players as receiving threats helps. At least he didn’t stick with what not was working as he had in the past. That’s a great change.

I respectfully disagree. I was not under any impression that they were trying to establish the run first the way they have pretty much always done in the past. They came out very aggressive from the start, on their very first drive. If anything, they established the pass to open up the run, the exact opposite of what they've always done in the past.

OP
OP
T

TraderGary

Reaction score
keasley45":28gwhknt said:
Great topic. I also can't help but think that some of the difference in what we saw yesterday on both sides of the ball and will continue to see in the future is also a result of two factors.
1. Pete being won over by Russ's hall of fame ability and his now complete command of his skill and his team. Russell, for as magic as he was through two superbowls and perennial play off success hadn't really solidified himself entirely as the undisputed leader of the franchise. Part of that ibthink was just Russ's quirkiness and seeming willingness to play the consumate company guy. Say the right thing, do the right thing, tow the company line. Efficiency, efficiency efficiency. He played the role flawlessly and in the process also turned the NFL record books upside down. Carrol trusts him now. He has helped make him. But I think Pete also realizes now that he is a result of russ's brilliance as much as russ was a result of Carroll's guidance through the LOB years. Its a transition. Pete can back off because his philosophy is ingrained in Russ's DNA. He can sling it... but when he does he still does it with discipline and control.

2. It is literally the beginning of the transition to the next regime. Pete clearly sees his time coming to an end and I think he knows his legacy will live on in russ but that russ will be slinging the ball in seattle long after Pete hangs it up and gets invited back to raise the 12's flag. Its a passing ofnthe torch to Russ and schotty who i wager will be our next HC. Pete has laid the groundwork and hard nosed mentality for the offense. Now russ and schottenheimer will evolve it into the next era of hawks ball.

One of the best posts I've ever read on here.

keasley45

Reaction score
TraderGary":3cireivy said:
hawkfan68":3cireivy said:
The Falcons stifled the running game so he went with let’s beat them through the air. Having more quality players as receiving threats helps. At least he didn’t stick with what not was working as he had in the past. That’s a great change.

I respectfully disagree. I was not under any impression that they were trying to establish the run first the way they have pretty much always done in the past. They came out very aggressive from the start, on their very first drive. If anything, they established the pass to open up the run, the exact opposite of what they've always done in the past.

i think they did go a bit more 'traditional' in the 2nd qtr and the falcons were ready for it. Maybe i'm remembering wrong?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TraderGary":153w1su2 said:
Sgt. Largent":153w1su2 said:
kf3339":153w1su2 said:
RolandDeschain":153w1su2 said:
I don't dare hope that we will consistently play to our strengths regularly on offense just yet. If we do, however....and keep going for the throat for a full four quarters every game.....then we are playing in the Super Bowl this year.

That's my hope as well, but PC is a hard man to read. I think there is still plenty of the old PC lurking around to question a complete change in strategy.

Pete hasn't changed, other than giving Russell FAR more control...............at the line, schematically and in game.

The 4th and 5 at the Falcon's 38 was a perfect example. Old Pete would have punted that relying on his defense, new Pete allowed Russell to talk him into quickly going for it because Russell saw that the Falcon's D was celebrating the 3rd down stop thinking the same thing as us, that Pete would punt.

So new Pete? Probably not, other than giving Russell more decision making power.

Excellent points. But after I created this thread last night, I went to YouTube and watched the PC postgame press conference. The things I heard him say leads me to believe this was not just an aberration.

Pete praised Schott's play-calling and stated he thought he called a great game throughout, start to finish. He also had very high praise for the way RW was in complete control of the offense the entire game. Those statements and others lead me to believe the handcuffs are off and he's finally realizing our best chance for victory is putting the ball in the hands of his best player, Wilson.

Perhaps we're saying the same thing but in a different way. However I'm seeing a new and aggressive Pete that we have rarely if ever seen in the past.

It's not an aberration.

You don't all of a sudden give up control of your offense to your future HOF QB who's at the peak of his prime fully understanding how to read and playcall defenses........and then put the clamps back on Russell.

This is how Pete wants to operate the offense now, give Russell more control. He's more than proven he's capable.

Doesn't mean Pete isn't gonna Pete it up once in a while, but it does mean what we saw yesterday should continue.

OP
OP
T

TraderGary

Reaction score
warden":35o0770q said:
The zone blocking system we use takes an extraordinary amount of feel and timing between the offensive lineman. With no preseason games and two thirds of the starters being new to the line, there is limited chance we can be overly effective in the early parts of the season. It looks like they have come up with a plan that will work in developing the run blocking. Once that is done, we will be a pretty heavy run team.

That's not my impression based on what I saw yesterday. Between what I saw on the field and in Pete's postgame press conference, and the way he praised Schott for his play-calling and RW for his leadership, poise, and complete control of the offense, I believe we will be somewhere in the middle. I don't believe we're going to wing it all over the field every game the way we did yesterday, but I also don't think he's going to go back to the conservative run, run, pass, punt route either. I think it will be somewhere in the middle which I believe is the sweet spot for this team.

OP
OP
T

TraderGary

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1ahlkcun said:
keasley45":1ahlkcun said:

If Dan Quinn gets the bullet at the Falcons this year, wonder if there is a chance he returns as DC, even short term.

In the immortal words of Paul McCartney, please "Let it Be". That would be a god send.

OP
OP
T

TraderGary

Reaction score
keasley45":1bb9pjy6 said:
TraderGary":1bb9pjy6 said:
hawkfan68":1bb9pjy6 said:

i think they did go a bit more 'traditional' in the 2nd qtr and the falcons were ready for it. Maybe i'm remembering wrong?

Perhaps a little more traditional than earlier. But the only time I recall the Falcons shutting anyone down was when they were handing the ball off to Travis Homer who was completely ineffective. And speaking of that, what the hell were they doing trying to turn Homer into a power back at the goal line? That was one of the more perplexing decisions I've seen in a while. lol

FWIW, I'm out of market so I was watching the game online and briefly lost my stream a couple times. So I may have missed a couple plays here and there.

OP
OP
T

TraderGary

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":33zrm3y6 said:
TraderGary":33zrm3y6 said:
Sgt. Largent":33zrm3y6 said:
kf3339":33zrm3y6 said:

It's not an aberration.

You don't all of a sudden give up control of your offense to your future HOF QB who's at the peak of his prime fully understanding how to read and playcall defenses........and then put the clamps back on Russell.

This is how Pete wants to operate the offense now, give Russell more control. He's more than proven he's capable.

Doesn't mean Pete isn't gonna Pete it up once in a while, but it does mean what we saw yesterday should continue.

I agree

keasley45

Reaction score
TraderGary":2gepl4dd said:
keasley45":2gepl4dd said:
TraderGary":2gepl4dd said:
hawkfan68":2gepl4dd said:

Perhaps a little more traditional than earlier. But the only time I recall the Falcons shutting anyone down was when they were handing the ball off to Travis Homer who was completely ineffective. And speaking of that, what the hell were they doing trying to turn Homer into a power back at the goal line? That was one of the more perplexing decisions I've seen in a while. lol

FWIW, I'm out of market so I was watching the game online and briefly lost my stream a couple times. So I may have missed a couple plays here and there.

Yes, regarding Homer. All i can attribute that to is the humanity of Peter Carrol. The man is genuine about building men and giving guys opportunities. Now, If this was the D Bevell era I'd say they were trying to outsmart themselves into outsmarting the Flacons into thinking they were smarter and that we wouldnt run because if we were smart, we would only run out of sets featuring the two headed monster of Carson & Hyde... or something like that.

Have to say the only time i cursed at the TV was the 3rd down play call (swing or pitch to Homer) that went for a loss... right before the 4th down play that Russ hit DK on for a TD.

OP
OP
T

TraderGary

Reaction score
keasley45":x7yrb5xd said:
TraderGary":x7yrb5xd said:
keasley45":x7yrb5xd said:
TraderGary":x7yrb5xd said:

Yes, regarding Homer. All i can attribute that to is the humanity of Peter Carrol. The man is genuine about building men and giving guys opportunities. Now, If this was the D Bevell era I'd say they were trying to outsmart themselves into outsmarting the Flacons into thinking they were smarter and that we wouldnt run because if we were smart, we would only run out of sets featuring the two headed monster of Carter & Hyde... or something like that.

Have to say the only time i cursed at the TV was the 3rd down play call (swing or pitch to Homer) that went for a loss... right before the 4th down plan that Russ hit DK on for a TD.

Yes I remember that play well and I wasn't very happy about it either.

BTW, I know you meant "Carson" and Hyde and not "Carter" and Hyde. lol And while I'm at it, I need to correct my own spelling. It's "Pete Carroll", not "Pete Carrol".

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Reports are that Wilson gave this staff an ultimatum.

So Carroll may not have had a choice. Which is fine by me.

What I do know is that I saw a tweet yesterday, some point in the 3rd quarter that said that none of our RBs had more than 4 rushes at that point. Not sure if it was true but sounds about right. And it would seem to indicate change.

Wilson was the best player on the field yesterday. But he is usually the best player on the field EVERY game (at least the past few years). Why we won't use him for 4 quarters is a mystery to me. But the smoke leaking says Wilson is tired of it.

Happy to hear it.

I don't think this is a week one aberration. I think this is Wilson taking control of his team. Finally.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Homer's carries yesterday were a microcosm of the subtle brilliance of Pete.

Homer didn't need to carry the ball in week one with both Carson and Hyde fresh, especially at the goal line...........but Pete knows it's a LONG season and he's probably going to need Homer sharp and confident before the season's over.

So how do you make sure your 3rd string back is engaged, sharp and confident in the offense throughout the season? You give him a couple series a game and put him in the game in key spots.

keasley45

Reaction score
TraderGary":3nbyrju5 said:
keasley45":3nbyrju5 said:
TraderGary":3nbyrju5 said:
keasley45":3nbyrju5 said:

Yes, regarding Homer. All i can attribute that to is the humanity of Peter Carrol. The man is genuine about building men and giving guys opportunities. Now, If this was the D Bevell era I'd say they were trying to outsmart themselves into outsmarting the Flacons into thinking they were smarter and that we wouldnt run because if we were smart, we would only run out of sets featuring the two headed monster of Carter & Hyde... or something like that.

Have to say the only time i cursed at the TV was the 3rd down play call (swing or pitch to Homer) that went for a loss... right before the 4th down plan that Russ hit DK on for a TD.

Yes I remember that play well and I wasn't very happy about it either.

BTW, I know you meant "Carson" and Hyde and not "Carter" and Hyde. lol And while I'm at it, I need to correct my own spelling. It's "Pete Carroll", not "Pete Carrol".

Kneejerk... Carter vs Carson. Hate that I do that because I don't particularly care for the guy (Carter). Thanks for the heads-up ;)