I guess we will always have that one SB...

RiverDog

Reaction score
There are teams with zero SB W's and worse zero SB appearances. the Hawks have been there 3 times and are a persistent post season team.

It is hard to get to the big game and harder still to win it.

Be happy the team is competitive.
Simply being "competitive" doesn't cut it for me. It's like getting a participation award or taking your C+ report card home to your parents. I mean, so what if we have a better history than the Browns and Lions? Being happy that you're better than the Lions is like being the happy winner of the office party gag gift.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I'd rather be competitive than a team that usually sucks. Always getting early draft picks and never being able to rise above sucking, like Atlanta or the Jets. Making the playoffs is not always easy and making them isn't fairly to be described as getting a participation award. As we know winning the big game is very hard. There are teams in the league who have never won a SB nor even qualified to play in the big game.

With any team the tide comes in and it also goes out it's coming back in at present and the team is getting stronger.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
I'd rather be competitive than a team that usually sucks. Always getting early draft picks and never being able to rise above sucking, like Atlanta or the Jets. Making the playoffs is not always easy and making them isn't fairly to be described as getting a participation award. As we know winning the big game is very hard. There are teams in the league who have never won a SB nor even qualified to play in the big game.

With any team the tide comes in and it also goes out it's coming back in at present and the team is getting stronger.
You're settling for mediocrity, and if that's all it takes to float your boat, then good for you. But for me, I want to strive for excellence. I liked that feeling of being on top of the world when we won our Lombardi and nearly took home a 2nd. I fully understand that there are risks, that if we were to fire Pete, blow up the team and start over, that we could end up like the Lions or Browns and not even make the playoffs for 6-8 years. It's a risk that I'm willing to take.

That's not meant to be interpreted as my advocating that we fire Pete. I'm just making the statement to illustrate my frustration, that I'm tired of these teams that aren't good enough to compete for a Super Bowl but too good to hit the reset button.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
A 17-game season is a long season... and Pete's teams have a history of improving as the season progresses. I, for one, am not worried.

I have a LOT of faith in our defense now that we are close to being 100% healthy.

Our offense will continue to be a work in progress until our starting five O-linemen is finalized and 100% healthy.

I could easily see Olu OLu at Center being flanked by Bradford at RG and Brown at LG. Lewis and Haynes have a difficult time staying healthy... and even when healthy, I'm not impressed with their run-blocking.

RiverDog

Reaction score
A 17-game season is a long season... and Pete's teams have a history of improving as the season progresses. I, for one, am not worried.
Pete's team sure as hell didn't improve as the season progressed last year. In our first 9 games, we went 6-3. In our last 9, which includes the playoff loss to the Niners, we were 3-6.

rcaido

Reaction score
Yeah slow start and then strong finish was during the Superbowl years w/ LOB. Majority of the time is a strong start and dwindle at the end due to some RB injury during Wilson era. Then last year w/ Geno, same thing happened.

This year its a bit of a slow start and the tough schedule hasn't hit yet. Its a good thing teams has been compressed records wise the past few years and now they have 3 wildcard gives us a good chance in making the playoffs. Need a good bounce back game against the Cards.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Yeah slow start and then strong finish was during the Superbowl years w/ LOB. Majority of the time is a strong start and dwindle at the end due to some RB injury during Wilson era. Then last year w/ Geno, same thing happened.

This year its a bit of a slow start and the tough schedule hasn't hit yet. Its a good thing teams has been compressed records wise the past few years and now they have 3 wildcard gives us a good chance in making the playoffs. Need a good bounce back game against the Cards.
Plus, we have the 2020 season when we finished with a 12-4 regular season record then did a complete belly flop in the playoffs.