Hello Hawks fans, your help is requested.

Are you ok with "bandwagon" fans".

• Yes

Votes: 60 48.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 9.7%
  • Don't care

Votes: 60 48.4%

• Total voters

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
downundermike":10of60lu said:
BraveHeartFan":10of60lu said:
If its someone whose jumping on the Seahawks now because they want them to be their new favorite team because they're the team winning then no I don't think they should be doing that.

I am a fan of the Seahawks, out of respect to the way they take care of their business and some of their players whom I really enjoy watching play.

But I am first and foremost, and always will be, a Dallas Cowboys fan.

It figures I find a Cowboy fan on the Hawks message board...............

Well, if your vehicle breaks down on the way to an event, sometimes you gotta hitch a ride the rest of the way.....and if their Ferrari happens to be much nicer than your ol' broke ass Pacer then that much better right. :thirishdrinkers:

RunTheBall

Reaction score
Depends on the "type" of bandwagon fan I would say. If you become more interested in a team that's near you who has become recently successful then that's ok. But if you're a (for example) Yankees/Packers/Heat fan from California or something like that, then you are a very insecure person who is beyond vicarious. Usually fans that only root for successful franchises across sports that have never even attended a single home game of any of those teams are VERY INSECURE people deep down.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Bandwagon fans are more important to a franchise's success than die hard fans.

If you sell out a stadium full of die hard fans, it really doesn't matter if the team wins or loses does it? Those sorry suckers will pay to watch the shittiest team in the league and the owners will laugh at those sorry ass losers all the way to the bank because they don't have to field a decent product.

More descerning and demanding fans, derisively called "bandwagon" by said "faithful" (who would watch mold grow on poop if it were in their teams colors), are the driving force behind ownership fielding a good team. You want to sell out a stadium in a town full of bandwagon fans you HAVE to have a winning team.

The more die hard faithful a team enjoys the loyalty of, the less pressure they have on them to win.

The TRULY faithful fans realize this and refuse to go to their teams games when they lose to make the franchise have to give them a winning team. It's tough love. Even if they have to take heat for being "bandwagon" fans to do so. The TRULY faithful fan follows his team online or in the newspapers and on TV, but he won't fork out money to see them until they put something worth watching on the field.

The TRULY faithful fan realizes that all that when a diehard fan says "I'll stick with my team through thick or thin" that that is just ego talking, trying to build up what a great fan that person is, when in fact their attitude is why there is so much "thin" and very little "thick" to begin with. I guarantee you, when those people finally get fed up and even they stop going to the games, every time THAT'S when a FO starts making changes and making their team better.

kearly

Reaction score
I love it. The biggest dork in school dreams of being the most popular, and this is literally what has happened for the Seahawks over the past 15 years or so. Once attaining that popularity, we find out that this new life has a brand new set of problems and challenges. But so what? It's what every fan wants deep down... for people to acknowledge the awesomeness of their team, with the jealousy and hate being the final confirmation.

Being the Yankees of the NFL feels great. I never knew being hated and getting to play the heel could be such a fun experience as a fan. For as good and respectable as the Packers are, their national image and brand of football are incredibly bland. I'd rather be part of a team that is kickass and hated than banal and liked.

As Sarlacc says, one of the biproducts of this experience are bandwagon fans. It's just a fact of life. But I'm more than happy about the bandwagoners, because it just makes the Seahawk haters hate us even more. And being hated feels great. I hope we are hated forever.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Fans are fans, band waggoneers, lifers, newbies, or long timers. Who cares!

GO HAWKS!!!

kearly

Reaction score
Another thing is that not all new fans are bandwagoners, some are future hardcore fans that are still in their seedling stage. How much of us here became fans of the Seahawks when Rick Mirer was under center? I'm guessing most of us became fans either when the team was brand new or during a period of success.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Heard local radio talking about TV ratings for NFL and how most numbers are flat, but that the Hawks numbers are up 90% over the last couple years.

Went from 22% of households to over 40% of households in the Seattle TV market watching.

Win and it will stay high, lose and it will drop.

Spiderdan

Reaction score
The only thing that annoys me about bandwagon fans is that the don't shut the F up when we're on offense. Don't buy into the sea-hawks chants when Russell Wilson is in the huddle or lining up. I couldn't believe how often they had to put that shhh message on the scoreboard or how many times our offense had to wave their arms down to try to quiet everyone.

OP
OP
D

downundermike

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":23s2vmsz said:
If you've lived in Spokane since before Pete got here, I can understand why you hate "bandwagon" fans. This town barely cared about the Seahawks, even back during the SBXL run. Nothing like living in the same state where an NFL team exists (and the only NFL team for 1500 miles) and see more Donkos and Raiders gear than the home squad.

Now all the local TV broadcasts lead with some Seahawk story. I see blue everywhere. If I wasn't a fan I'd be disgusted...but all I have to say is "It's about freakin' time"! Finally I don't feel like an outcast!

Glad to see a Hawks fan living in Spokane who understands what I am talking about.

Hell, I work with a guy who grew up in Cali a Raiders fan, and now is a Hawks fan.......sickening.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
downundermike":1gv4wakx said:
Hell, I work with a guy who grew up in Cali a Raiders fan, and now is a Hawks fan.......sickening.

Can't really blame him for that, can you?

idahawks

Reaction score
RockHawk":uar40ihq said:
I couldn't care less, honestly. The only ones that bother me even a little bit would be those that are fans of another team and suddenly become a Seahawks fan because it's in vogue. Everyone else is welcome.

I'm also one of those that doesn't necessarily beat my chest in pride over being a fan from the start. Doesn't make me better or worse than a newer 12. I'll still be happy to yell next to them at the game, quietly say "Go Hawks" when passing in an airport, or raise a beer with at Temple Billiards.

Isn't that what a bandwagon fan is?

I don't care for bandwagon fans. They tend to switch teams with whoever is winning the superbowl. The usually don't follow their temporary team well enough to know players and usually don't watch regular season games only highlights on espn.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I'll say this: I live in Utah. And there was a time when seeing someone with Seahawks gear or clothing resulted in an instant bond.

That is no longer the case. And I miss the way it was.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
downundermike":3tauzqnj said:

That's not sickening mike, that's victory right there Mike, that's...that's the finish line.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I have been a fan since the beginning. It's just a fact. But the only time I ever make a point of it is (A) when an idiot from another fanbase says we all have been fans only since 2012, or (B) when there's an old-farts thread like "Who here remembers Efren Herrera?"

I will say this -- one thing that sharpens a person's fandom as much as being a long time sufferer is being a long distance sufferer. Being a fan and wearing your team's colors in enemy territory counts for something IMO. (I say this as a Seahawk fan who lived in San Angelo, TX for 9 years.) So I have respect for people who maintain their fan status when they are the only one representing, or one of the few. Even in Washington, I don't mind seeing people wear the colors of another team -- you never know who is a military transplant or something. EXCEPT:

Nobody in the PNW has any business whatsoever of wearing black and yellow. Those are not colors that belong here. Anyone who wears them is a scum-sucking moron. Yes I'm being judgmental.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
I don't care really . Get on get off I'm fine either way don't lose sleep like some.

Hawks46

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan":2mzx4gsf said:
If its someone whose jumping on the Seahawks now because they want them to be their new favorite team because they're the team winning then no I don't think they should be doing that.

I am a fan of the Seahawks, out of respect to the way they take care of their business and some of their players whom I really enjoy watching play.

But I am first and foremost, and always will be, a Dallas Cowboys fan.

I have no problems with people having secondary or other lesser favorite teams. I have a soft spot for the Ravens and Lions.

I'm with Sgt Largent, I don't like newer fans being called bandwagon fans.

As for the jumpers, meh. Could care less. By the time I figure out whether or not they're jumping on my team, they jump somewhere else. Why be annoyed when they're going to be gone sooner rather than later ?

drdiags

Reaction score
It's a natural reaction for folks that have suffered decades following a team to have some resentment for folks that just recently come around to loving their favorite gal(guy). You knew you never owned her(him) to yourself, but still you felt your intimate relationship was special. Now she(he) is a star and though you still love her(him), it is a little more crowded and that special bond doesn't seem to matter anymore.

Diehards, elitist or glory hounds. In the end, the organization I loved is getting some quality me time. Have fun, I will be here when the lights get turned off.

I feel for those in Seahawks past that never got the same glory this current incarnation of the team is experiencing. Glad some feel they can come back and share. In the end, it is the team that is most important to me. Others feel it is the fans as well but I think they can be fickle so I tend not to worry about what it is they are doing outside of helping to make playing in the CLink an opponent's nightmare.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1m6bvmnb said:
Depends on what your definition of a bandwagon fan is.

IMO a bandwagon fan is someone that jumps from team to team depending on when they're successful.

I do have a problem with NEW fans being called bandwagon fans, because we were all new fans at one time or another. Some of us as early as we can remember, some in our teens, and some later in life.

I love new fans, because they turn into long time die hard fans like us. But some guy at your work that was rolling around in a Niner or Falcons jersey two years ago and now is wearing a brand new 12 Hawk jersey? Yeah, F that guy.

Spot on